You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

Asashio is probably the worst idea WG has come up with since the Belfast

241 comments in this topic

[WOLF4] bubbleboy264 131
250 posts
3,810 battles

This ship is unbelievably broken. Deep-deep water torpedoes that can only damage battleships and carriers, but are obscenely powerful 20km bringers of the apocalypse against targets they can actually hit. This thing deletes BBs from 15km away, hell even beyond its render range, but its the worst ship in the game against everything else. A ship that is only useful against 1 class is not useful at all, and it encourages even more passive play from BBs and "flanking" DDs, to the detriment of fun, balanced gameplay that emphasizes teamwork.

As Notser says in his first impressions video, think of if WG designed a tank destroyer in WoT that could only damage heavies, but would instantly delete them from max range without any counterplay. Its absurd. This idea is just horrible, putrid, disgusting. Who in their right mind would think this ship is a good idea? Oh, I know, LWM does. Well sorry Mouse, but your just dead wrong on this one. This proposed ship will break the game even more than it already is. 

And you know the real reason for this? It's that WG is too shameless to ever admit they overnerfed IJN torpedo detection, and to try to compensate they release this broken turdpile, that takes the whole rock-paper-scissors balance idea to the ultimate, horrid extreme. Instead of admitting that they were wrong and fixing IJN DDs, they double-down and release more broken premiums like this one. This is low, even for WG. Do the devs even play their own game at this point?

Please WG, please don't do this. This goes against basic common sense, and is another blatant attempt to sell a broken ship based on game ruining "gimmicks", just like the Belfast. And still don't believe me? You can listen to Flamu and Notser, whose videos are down below, and hear from 2 credible sources that this ship is absolute cancer. I await the sea of down votes with not a sliver of regret. 

• Cool 26
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 10

[B2P] Taichunger 2,148
6,316 posts
18,795 battles

All one can do is say yes yes yes to the opening post. All they had to do was un-nerf the IJN torps... but that would mean admitting error.... the Great IJN Torp Nerf, and the Restricted T3-4 MM really damaged the game...

Sad.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 2

[SYN] pikohan 605
1,645 posts
6,252 battles

Yep. Please no.

• Cool 1

2,288 posts
2,834 battles
27 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

This ship is unbelievably broken. Deep-deep water torpedoes that can only damage battleships and carriers, but are obscenely powerful 20km bringers of the apocalypse against targets they can actually hit. This thing deletes BBs from 15km away, hell even beyond its render range, but its the worst ship in the game against everything else. A ship that is only useful against 1 class is not useful at all, and it encourages even more passive play from BBs and "flanking" DDs, to the detriment of fun, balanced gameplay that emphasizes teamwork.

As Notser says in his first impressions video, think of if WG designed a tank destroyer in WoT that could only damage heavies, but would instantly delete them from max range without any counterplay. Its absurd. This idea is just horrible, putrid, disgusting. Who in their right mind would think this ship is a good idea? Oh, I know, LWM does. Well sorry Mouse, but your just dead wrong on this one. This proposed ship will break the game even more than it already is. 

And you know the real reason for this? It's that WG is too shameless to ever admit they overnerfed IJN torpedo detection, and to try to compensate they release this broken turdpile, that takes the whole rock-paper-scissors balance idea to the ultimate, horrid extreme. Instead of admitting that they were wrong and fixing IJN DDs, they double-down and release more broken premiums like this one. This is low, even for WG. Do the devs even play their own game at this point?

Please WG, please don't do this. This goes against basic common sense, and is another blatant attempt to sell a broken ship based on game ruining "gimmicks", just like the Belfast. And still don't believe me? You can listen to Flamu and Notser, whose videos are down below, and hear from 2 credible sources that this ship is absolute cancer. I await the sea of down votes with not a sliver of regret. 

You're going to get downvoted into oblivion because you called LWM out (and there is a certain very vocal subset of this forum who fancies themselves her champions), but I agree with you - this ship is a deceased cow flung over the garrison walls. Anyone who applauds should be ushered out through the gates so they can join their "buddies" in the attacking horde.

Edited by Cruiser_Fiume
  • Cool 5
  • Bad 6

[-K-] Kombat_W0MBAT 2,764
4,357 posts
7,318 battles

Yeah, it's a ship that I don't want to see on my team OR the opposing team. 

[S0L0] Harv72b 282
1,128 posts
3,573 battles

Asashio in this form is far, far worse for the game than the Belfast ever was.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH] Umikami 1,349
5,999 posts
12,190 battles
5 minutes ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

You're going to get downvoted into oblivion because you called LWM out

@LittleWhiteMouse has been playing in this game, and writing her ship reviews, for well over 2 years now; I'm absolutely positive of her ability to defend herself against her critics, especially when all Op really said was she was wrong about this ship. If OP thinks the ship is bad, he has just as much right to voice his reasonable and constructive opinions as anyone in the game.

Although, to be perfectly honest OP, a history of foaming at the mouth posts does tend to prejudice ones readers.

• Cool 1

[F-U] X15 454
1,837 posts
4,744 battles

*even worse than the Belfast

Belfast has to get fairly close, it can't engage without giving away position. You can shoot it fairly easily in its smoke. Even if it can dodge torpedoes well they still push it out of position more often than not. It is OP, but you can react to it, you can position to counter or avoid it. The Belfast itself rewards strong play, you do better by playing for and with the team. You could make the case that like the Kidd, Belfast is possibly good for the game on a meta standpoint.

I'm comfortable saying Asashio is worse than CVs in terms of balance. It is a horrendously lopsided piece of garbage with the most moronic main weapon since Kitakami. Actually, I'd much rather see Kitakami back than this thing in the game. It will teach newer players who pick it up terrible habits and worthless tactics. It is the epitome of the old meta when stealth fire existed and Shima had the long lance. You sit as far back as you can and farm until the draw. No paint scratches needed.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't buy one. But why pass up something so broken.

Edited by X15

[WG-CC] LittleWhiteMouse 17,920
7,568 posts
6,223 battles
41 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

Who in their right mind would think this ship is a good idea? Oh, I know, LWM does. Well sorry Mouse, but your just dead wrong on this one. This proposed ship will break the game even more than it already is. 

Oh, you think that's what I believe, do you?  I said it was powerful.  I never said it was a good idea.  However, I was capable of recognizing it for what it was -- Wargaming experimenting with a singular build for the sake of testing the effects of limited target torpedoes.  As it turned out, this test build was ridiculous good at the one thing it did to the point of abuse.  If you've been paying attention to what I've said regarding Asashio, I likened it to be as fair to Battleships as Belfast is to Destroyers which isn't healthy.

• Cool 8

[4HIM] Morpheous 147
747 posts
7,350 battles

WG admit wrong... never in tanks, very rare here, Graf Zep?  Not sure myself on this ship, but sure would like to higher tier Japanese DDs be good at something, like better concealment than other DDs, not .1km or even.  I don't need better torps, or better conceal on torps, I would like to see Japanese DDs in the 5.7 to 5.9 range based on tier, and every other nation at least .2 worse concealment per tier.  Americans got guns and good torps, Germans Hydro, Russians are light CAs so no comparison.  British...well not sure what they are, French look like gunboats, Pan Asian Deep water..... Japanese...well not really better in any area consistently. (yeah shimi get 5 extra torps, but would take a Gearing all day long over a shimi, and it SHOULD be a hard choice)

7,568 posts
6,223 battles
Just now, Morpheous said:

WG admit wrong...

How is Wargaming wrong for stress-testing a game mechanic?

[WOLF4] bubbleboy264 131
250 posts
3,810 battles
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Oh, you think that's what I believe, do you?  I said it was powerful.  I never said it was a good idea.  However, I was capable of recognizing it for what it was -- Wargaming experimenting with a singular build for the sake of testing the effects of limited target torpedoes.  As it turned out, this test build was ridiculous good at the one thing it did to the point of abuse.  If you've been paying attention to what I've said regarding Asashio, I likened it to be as fair to Battleships as Belfast is to Destroyers which isn't healthy.

As far as I understood you said in your preview that it’s a goodboat, “maybe even too good”, maybe I’m wrong but I still think this ship is a horrible idea and is completely indefensible. And no to whoever said all I do is foam at the mouth, that’s not true at all. I can be a bit abrasive at times but I’m not afraid to speak my mind, and if I’m wrong, I’ll admit it. So yes I do have integrity and my argument has merit. 

• Bad 1

[WOLF4] bubbleboy264 131
250 posts
3,810 battles
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

They’re wrong for nerfing the IJN DDs into the ground and compensating by releasing this steaming pile of broken garbage. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[4HIM] Morpheous 147
747 posts
7,350 battles
Just now, LittleWhiteMouse said:

stress testing and release of a product two different things... I am refer to release, sorry if unclear, but I find WG releases; sometimes against objections from playtesters, as you, yourself have lamented in posts, products and then may be, just may be fix the problem....

Wulfgarn 2,182
4,852 posts
6,923 battles

A DD that can do some damage without sitting inside "easy mode" radar?

A DD that can do some damage that isn't spotted forever after firing guns?

Lots of things could happen in the time it takes for torps to reach a target that far away.

Its a DD, of course everyone's against it. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 4
  • Bad 5

7,568 posts
6,223 battles
Just now, bubbleboy264 said:

They’re wrong for nerfing the IJN DDs into the ground and compensating by releasing this steaming pile of broken garbage. 

1 minute ago, bubbleboy264 said:

As far as I understood you said in your preview that it’s a goodboat, “maybe even too good”, maybe I’m wrong but I still think this ship is a horrible idea and is completely indefensible. And no to whoever said all I do is foam at the mouth, that’s not true at all. I can be a bit abrasive at times but I’m not afraid to speak my mind, and if I’m wrong, I’ll admit it. So yes I do have integrity and my argument has merit. 

It's a "Gudbote", not a "good boat" -- very important distinction.  One means that the ship would be arguably one of the most competitive within its role at its tier.  There is no arguing that as she's currently built, Asashio would be the penultimate torpedo destroyer at tier 8.  This does not mean that I think the ship is good for the game or that everyone should have one or that it should be released as is.

This knee-jerk reaction to the new, overreacting to anything Wargaming tests is frankly ridiculous.  Asashio is nowhere near finalized, yet people act like it's commonly available to the masses and that only their moral outrage stands as a bulkwark from keeping this from being released.  If anything, Asashio clearly demonstrates how the population at large, including the well invested forum and Reddit populace, is generally out of touch with what impacts a singular weapon system like this can achieve.  The panicked "feedback" over something people haven't played and are unlikely to have played alongside (never mind directly against) is difficult to take seriously.  The most common reactions I've seen from players is that Asashio would be "useless" with this torpedo armament and unable to significantly impact game play.  Testing has shown the contrary -- it's too powerful.  This emphasizes the validity of Wargaming conducting such tests and why they needed to be paid close attention to.

This is the second test version of Asashio on the live servers.  There will be other versions.  Try not to get upset over those versions either.  They're not likely to be balanced.  It's rare that test ships are when Wargaming is experimenting with new mechanics for the sake of collecting data.

• Cool 8

[5IN] bassmasta76 187
1,467 posts
6,509 battles

The ship is still in testing, right, and no known ETA for being finalized, right?  This uproar over a test ship is crazy.  So much arguing and salt, people are losing their minds over this.  

Personally, I don't like the idea, but they are still working on it... 

Can we all just relax?

B

• Cool 2

[WOLF4] bubbleboy264 131
250 posts
3,810 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It's a "Gudbote", not a "good boat" -- very important distinction.  One means that the ship would be arguably one of the most competitive within its role at its tier.  There is no arguing that as she's currently built, Asashio would be the penultimate torpedo destroyer at tier 8.  This does not mean that I think the ship is good for the game or that everyone should have one or that it should be released as is.

This knee-jerk reaction to the new, overreacting to anything Wargaming tests is frankly ridiculous.  Asashio is nowhere near finalized, yet people act like it's commonly available to the masses and that only their moral outrage stands as a bulkwark from keeping this from being released.  If anything, Asashio clearly demonstrates how the population at large, including the well invested forum and Reddit populace, is generally out of touch with what impacts a singular weapon system like this can achieve.  The panicked "feedback" over something people haven't played and are unlikely to have played alongside (never mind directly against) is difficult to take seriously.  The most common reactions I've seen from players is that Asashio would be "useless" with this torpedo armament and unable to significantly impact game play.  Testing has shown the contrary -- it's too powerful.  This emphasizes the validity of Wargaming conducting such tests and why they needed to be paid close attention to.

This is the second test version of Asashio on the live servers.  There will be other versions.  Try not to get upset over those versions either.  They're not likely to be balanced.  It's rare that test ships are when Wargaming is experimenting with new mechanics for the sake of collecting data.

I get it, it’s still work in progress, but you never addressed my other point, in that WG has NEVER admitted that nerfing IJN DDs so extensively was a bad idea, despite MOUNTAINS OF EVIDENCE AND INTENSE PLAYER CRITICISM. And they still double down, never admitting that ships like the minekaze are complete garbage now. And no this isn’t “knee-jerk criticism”, I like a lot of the changes WG makes and I still love this game. But I am losing faith in WG’s ability to run this game more and more, as they keep releasing questionable ships at best like this (AND YES I KNOW ITS WIP). I don’t mean to be rude or provocative, but these are my opinions, not based on knee-jerk anger, but looking at the stats and previews from reliable community contributors like yourself.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

257 posts
312 battles
2 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I don’t mean to be rude or provocative, but these are my opinions, not based on knee-jerk anger, but looking at the stats and previews from reliable community contributors like yourself.

But the way you're posting says otherwise...

[5D2] Beornotns 134
644 posts
2,811 battles

I understand making a gimmick, but gimmicking a gimmick of a gimmick?

~B

• Cool 1

[AHOY_] YamatoA150 1,214
5,669 posts
2,941 battles

I just want Kitakami back; with 20km DW options, 15km conventional options, and 10km or 8km fast but suicidal torpedo options.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[WOLF4] bubbleboy264 131
250 posts
3,810 battles
1 minute ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

But the way you're posting says otherwise...

How am I being rude or provocative, please explain it to me, because I honestly can’t understand how I’m doing anything wrong. I hate having to “soften up” constructive criticism, it’s counterintuitive and illogical. 

7,568 posts
6,223 battles
Just now, bubbleboy264 said:

I get it, it’s still work in progress, but you never addressed my other point, in that WG has NEVER admitted that nerfing IJN DDs so extensively was a bad idea, despite MOUNTAINS OF EVIDENCE AND INTENSE PLAYER CRITICISM. And they still double down, never admitting that ships like the minekaze are complete garbage now. And no this isn’t “knee-jerk criticism”, I like a lot of the changes WG makes and I still love this game. But I am losing faith in WG’s ability to run this game more and more, as they keep releasing questionable ships at best like this (AND YES I KNOW ITS WIP). I don’t mean to be rude or provocative, but these are my opinions, not based on knee-jerk anger, but looking at the stats and previews from reliable community contributors like yourself.

Sub_Octavian has explained, at length, why the IJN torpedo destroyers were nerfed, what impact they were trying to avoid and that despite all of these changes, Shimakaze remains the most popular of the tier 10 destroyers.  You can find multiple threads on Reddit discussing this subject.  "Torpedo soup" has mass appeal and people like their ninja botes, so they're not going anywhere.  In addition, torpedo ships have a very (very) high skill ceiling with those players who excel at them being very (very) influential while the masses muddle about with inconsistent results.  In general, people have not liked his answers, but the answers are out there, they're backed by hard data and I have yet to see a reasonable argument against them with similar compelling evidence.

If you want something changed, make a good case for it.  Using hyperbole, such as "Minekaze is complete garbage now" doesn't serve you and only undermines your stance, especially when the claim is patently false to begin with.  Minekaze is still a monster.  She's just less of a monster than she was before the IJN DD overhaul.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

3,602 posts
4,532 battles

I think there would be less of reaction if Wargaming had a test server open up where players could sign in and play battles much like Corgi account only we would use our own logins, everything is unlocked, and only requirement is we use the new ship certain amount.

Have seen other games do this sometimes. Then there would not be the salt of having bout stats hurt, credits, Camos, Flags lost, and our ships sunk by something Wargaming is trying to beta test and balance.

That is why so much hate is directed at the Graf Zepplin is even I have had my share of pain from  some of its versions, had couple of games that 90-95% chance of winning with what we had at that point vs enemy. Graf planes  came by right through my AA escorts and knocked 90% of my HP off my Amagi and enemy ships finished the rest in a grab the easy low hp ship kill frenzy. I was only 3 salvoes  away from killing 3 enemy ships that battle and had the position, firepower and HP to do it. Until the Graf zoomed in.

So after couple times of that even I now hate Graf Zeplin.