You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lazy_Zombi

New player having a hard time.

78 comments in this topic

25 posts

So I just started playing yesterday. Been doing pretty good up to Tier 5, pretty much single handedly winning matches because everyone was so noobish. But now, it's too difficult. I find my team always loses because of... stupidity I guess. No one works as a team. nobody calls out objectives or makes any sort of attempt at team play or information relay. And the "all star pro" in chat that is nerd raging because they died first and it's everyone else's fault, does nothing but criticize instead of help people. Battleships one shot from across the map, even when not broadside. 2 Carriers each match with little or no AA for protection... How long will this be a struggle like this? I have a very long time to go to get the next ship. So plenty of time to learn, especially if losing every match. But it's not going to be fun if it turns out like my last 8 or so matches, and that's the point of a game right? Fun? Are things better at higher tiers?

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[ARRGG] CLUCH_CARGO 670
2,788 posts

Tier 5 in 33 battles that is the tell. SLOW DOWN whats your rush? You haven't taken any time to learn the ships the maps or any kind of tactics. Go back to the beginning and sail each ship learn about not the how but the why.  Tier 5 right now is still protected until your 100th battle then all hell breaks loose. use your battle time to know why  a ship does what it does.

• Cool 2

[PLPT] pmgaudio 3,557
9,768 posts
9,356 battles

33 battles and  you are already at tier 5??? and you blame your team for losses???

not sure if this is a re=roll troll thread or serious.... but your games  would be better if you stayed at 4 for a longer time and did not suffer MM woes that tier 5 have.... and if I was right about the former.... I got nothin....

using the word STUPIDITY to describe a tier 5 game, AAA lacking, and losing after uptiering as fast as you did, although 62% is not bad... all while only going up the IJN cruiser line....you should slow down now before you end up in tier ten matches.... THEN you will really rant thread the hell out of the forums...

Edited by pmgaudio
  • Cool 1

69 posts
1,194 battles
10 minutes ago, Lazy_Zombi said:

So I just started playing yesterday. Been doing pretty good up to Tier 5, pretty much single handedly winning matches because everyone was so noobish. But now, it's too difficult. I find my team always loses because of... stupidity I guess. No one works as a team. nobody calls out objectives or makes any sort of attempt at team play or information relay. And the "all star pro" in chat that is nerd raging because they died first and it's everyone else's fault, does nothing but criticize instead of help people. Battleships one shot from across the map, even when not broadside. 2 Carriers each match with little or no AA for protection... How long will this be a struggle like this? I have a very long time to go to get the next ship. So plenty of time to learn, especially if losing every match. But it's not going to be fun if it turns out like my last 8 or so matches, and that's the point of a game right? Fun? Are things better at higher tiers?

Welcome to world of warships and the forums.   Jap cruisers have a steep learning curve in the midtiers.  I suggest listen to the advise of the old sages around here, use co op to practice and always have a good time.

• Cool 1

25 posts

Tier 4 battles were the exact same as tier 5, except now at Tier 5 I get to fight Tier 7 ships.. The tier 4 Japanese cruiser is the exact same as the Tier 5 ship, except the Tier 5 takes twice as long to fire it's weapons.... I know how to play the game. So by everyone's logic here... Play low tier for a really long time, and high tier is the exact same, so I'll know everything, after 100 more battles in a tier 4 ship... got it.

Edited by Lazy_Zombi
  • Bad 3

[SF] pewpewpew42 557
2,341 posts
4,550 battles

Try Russian cruisers. The T5 is a vast improvement over the T4, and the ships stay very similar through the T10. I'd also recommend joining a clan. On top of some minor bonuses you can get some really good teachers.

• Cool 1

69 posts
1,194 battles
1 minute ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Try Russian cruisers. The T5 is a vast improvement over the T4, and the ships stay very similar through the T10. I'd also recommend joining a clan. On top of some minor bonuses you can get some really good teachers.

What would you suggest for new players? (Trying to get friends into this) british and russian cruisers seem to be the best all around ships.

• Cool 1

[HINON] RipNuN2 2,148
6,382 posts
2 minutes ago, Lazy_Zombi said:

Tier 4 battles were the exact same as tier 5. The tier 4 Japanese cruiser is the exact same as the Tier 5 ship, except the Tier 5 takes twice as long to fire it's weapons.... I know how to play the game. So by everyone's logic here... Play low tier for a really long time, and high tier is the exact same, so I'll know everything, after 100 more battles in a tier 4 ship... got it.

Well since you seem to already know everything what is the point of this thread?

yAncNtf.jpg

• Funny 2

[SWAT] ADM_Zakk_Zero 85
754 posts
2,508 battles

Don't get discouraged. I found t5 to be a real splash of cold water, too. I felt nearly invincible up to and including t4. Suddenly, I found my &^% handed to me time, and time, and time again. As already mentioned, don't rush, and likely will take hundreds of games to really learn and improve so you can master that level of play. 2 years into playing the game, and I still often struggle with t5 random matches. 

[90TH] Seadog_Supreme 204
1,197 posts

It's about time to buy a Derpitz, I mean Tirpitz then. No, wait, don't buy one! Learn more about the game in the lower tiers before you do tier 5.

• Cool 1

[SF] pewpewpew42 557
2,341 posts
4,550 battles
Just now, LostEngineer said:

What would you suggest for new players? (Trying to get friends into this) british and russian cruisers seem to be the best all around ships.

For new players, Japanese and American cruisers are pretty good. I also think British battleships can be decent as well as American destroyers.

Russians, British, French are fragile. Germans require knowledge of ammo mechanics to do well. Now, that said British, French, and Russians my favorites, but that's because I've got hundreds of battles' worth of 'staying alive' instinct.

• Cool 1

28 posts
1,468 battles
3 minutes ago, Lazy_Zombi said:

Tier 4 battles were the exact same as tier 5, except now at Tier 5 I get to fight Tier 7 ships.. The tier 4 Japanese cruiser is the exact same as the Tier 5 ship, except the Tier 5 takes twice as long to fire it's weapons.... I know how to play the game. So by everyone's logic here... Play low tier for a really long time, and high tier is the exact same, so I'll know everything, after 100 more battles in a tier 4 ship... got it.

Yeah, don’t rush it; take your time to learn the game mechanics (there is a ton of stuff to learn), try different lines/classes and find the better suited for you.

IJN T4 and T5 are different you are making the transition to heavy cruiser (hello 203 mm guns), and as you said you are facing far more menacing foes.

[ARRGG] CLUCH_CARGO 670
2,788 posts
12 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

*coughrerollcough*

*coughcoughhiddenstatscough*

with all of his responses I tend to agree you are RIGHT ON.

[PLPT] Ulthwey 433
1,127 posts
8,110 battles
23 minutes ago, Lazy_Zombi said:

Play in a division with GOOD players (with voice comms), you will actually be able to influence the outcome of the match if you play as a coordinating team of 3 people.

224 posts
3,169 battles

Honestly, the first thing I was told was get a minimum of 1,000 battles in to understand the strategy and tactics along with the different play styles of each type of ship. There is no need to rush up the tech tree but as a friendly recommendation, go back down and try playing a ship at a lower tier you played well in.

• Cool 4

[HINON] Carrier_Lexington 673
3,317 posts
4,006 battles
10 minutes ago, LostEngineer said:

For new players, the American cruisers are good, excluding the Omaha (Tier 5 CL)-->Cleveland (Tier VIII CL shoehorned into a Tier VI CL spot)-->Pensacola (Tier VI CA shoehorned into a Tier VII slot) weirdness that will go away when the Line Split occurs. British Cruisers are also fun, but require a good knowledge of the map and concealment.

For Battleships, the Germans, IJN, and USN Battleships are good. Just be warned that before Tier 8 the USN Battleships are slow, which will force you to learn positioning and coordination.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[SWAT] ADM_Zakk_Zero 85
754 posts
2,508 battles
11 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

It's about time to buy a Derpitz, I mean Tirpitz then. No, wait, don't buy one! Learn more about the game in the lower tiers before you do tier 5.

Yes! Don't make the mistake I did and buy premium ships above the highest tier you are comfortable with/good at. You will develop bad habits, sink constantly, let down your team,  slow down/disrupt your learning curve, and ultimately kill your stats by battling above your weight class. Some premium ships are fun to sail but it is best for newer players to master the low tiers first.  Also, forgive me if someone already mentioned it, but t5 ships can face up to t7 ships, which usually doesn't end well for the t5 ships. 

Edited by ADM_Zakk_Zero

[F-U] X15 463
1,857 posts
4,744 battles

The tier 5 IJN cruiser is WAY different from being the tier 4 with slower guns. It is probably the best tier for tier cruiser vs cruiser in the game. But I think you know that. Seeing as you're a re-roll.

• Cool 1

25 posts
Just now, X15 said:

The tier 5 IJN cruiser is WAY different from being the tier 4 with slower guns. It is probably the best tier for tier cruiser vs cruiser in the game. But I think you know that. Seeing as you're a re-roll.

Well... I don't like it. What's a re-roll?

[PLPT] pmgaudio 3,557
9,768 posts
9,356 battles
8 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

with all of his responses I tend to agree you are RIGHT ON.

pS8NlZL.gif

[ARRGG] CLUCH_CARGO 670
2,788 posts
2 minutes ago, Lazy_Zombi said:

41Nads4.gif

[42] alexf24 1,120
5,652 posts
19,907 battles
17 minutes ago, Lazy_Zombi said:

T5 in 33 battles? Seriously? And you seem to understand the game already?

Re-read the line I marked above (emphasis mine).

You are seriously saying that a T4 CL (Kuma) is the same as a T5 CA (Furutaka)? Seriously? That statement alone shows you do not understand what classes of ships are or do, or how they play.

Please stay in T4 which is protected until you learn the basics. I'd say at least 400 battles in several different types. T5 is where all hell breaks loose as you will encounter T7 most of the time. An eye opener if you are not ready.

[RUST] K538 304
1,074 posts
5,443 battles
2 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Honestly, the first thing I was told was get a minimum of 1,000 battles in to understand the strategy and tactics along with the different play styles of each type of ship. There is no need to rush up the tech tree but as a friendly recommendation, go back down and try playing a ship at a lower tier you played well in.

Yeah this is basically it.  I've now played with a few players, even pretty naturally skilled ones who had previous experience in similar games, and you really do need to play a good number of games before it's even easy to tell what's really going on in a game.  No insult intended to anybody, but it's pretty easy to think that the problem is something different than the real issue early on in your play simply because you're not seeing the big picture.

A great player might only need a few hundred games to get the hang of the game and map awareness, but because the meta changes at different tiers and there are particular game mechanics (radar and armour overmatching in particular) that become much more important at various levels of progression it's still going to take a bit of time and effort to get the swing of things.

Another thing that really helps is playing up a few lines of ships so you start to get a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of your opposition, so back to @Super_Splash_Bro's point it takes a bit of time no matter how good you are before you're going to be (on average) much more than a neutral factor on your team.

[F-U] X15 463
1,857 posts
4,744 battles
Just now, Lazy_Zombi said:

It's something people do to get 1800 WTR and a 60% average in their "first" 33 matches.

Usually because they are either ashamed of their learning curve or want to have the clean purple stats.