You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wildcat18

Ships AA guns

28 comments in this topic

218 posts

Anyone know of a list of who has the best AA guns by tier? Just picked up the Hosho and want to know who has the better AA guns.

[HINON] RipNuN2 2,148
6,382 posts

Yubari has the best AA at T4 since it has access to defensive fire.. Your best bet though to help you learn is on the loading screen mouse over the opposing fleets ships and look at their AA ratings. You can also do this for your team to know who's ships have AA for you to use for cover.

218 posts
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

Yubari has the best AA at T4 since it has access to defensive fire.. Your best bet though to help you learn is on the loading screen mouse over the opposing fleets ships and look at their AA ratings. You can also do this for your team to know who's ships have AA for you to use for cover.

Thanks

[WAIFU] SireneRacker 1,532
6,156 posts
5,419 battles

At Tier 4 probably the Yuubari, because she has Defensive Fire. Below her are probably the Kaiser and the Orion.

At Tier 5 it's Kirov, Emile Bertin, maybe the Königsberg, Texas for sure, the König and Bogue.

At Tier 6 you want to keep a lot of distance to Cleveland, and most Cruisers gain Defensive Fire at that Tier.

1,501 posts
4,991 battles

US cruisers have some of the best AA in the fleet.

218 posts

Another question, I am playing coop right now. Go after the other CV before she rips through my team or go after ships to help the team?

Awww man, just noticed I went from seaman to petty officer. Guess I won't be using the old "seaman stains reporting for duty" joke lol

Edited by wildcat18

[PVE] Vader_Sama 111
640 posts
2,796 battles
1 minute ago, wildcat18 said:

Another question, I am playing coop right now. Go after the other CV before she rips through my team or go after ships to help the team?

The bot CV might try to rip you first, so deal with the initial attack wave and you can strike back and hope you need one attack wave to delete the bot CV then you can help the team whether they need it or not.

[HINON] RipNuN2 2,148
6,382 posts

You would probably need to make multipe attacks on the enemy cv to sink it.  Due to the distance it's better to target nearer ships first.

218 posts
4 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

You would probably need to make multipe attacks on the enemy cv to sink it.  Due to the distance it's better to target nearer ships first.

Thanks bud

224 posts
3,169 battles
10 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

US cruisers have some of the best AA in the fleet.

Yes, US cruisers have great AA. Atlanta is really good but it is a Premium. Also, Cleveland and the ships at Tier VIII & above have excellent AA (New Orleans, Baltimore and Des Moines). Good luck and have fun shooting those enemy planes out of the sky.

69 posts
1,194 battles
9 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

At that low of a tier, the only way to sink the enemy carrier in a time relevant period is to use manual controlled torps, which they dont let you use anymore. You are better off going after closer ships. Besides, WASD hacks screw up 90% of autodrops at any tier, so use them. 

218 posts
6 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

The bot CV might try to rip you first, so deal with the initial attack wave and you can strike back and hope you need one attack wave to delete the bot CV then you can help the team whether they need it or not.

I find most times that the bot CV is usually the last ship and both you ripnun make a valid point. Will have to try both and see what works best i guess. Thanks

[PLPT] pmgaudio 3,557
9,768 posts
9,356 battles

never chase down a cv until it is the last or second to last ship left... you leave your team without you to support, and it always ends badly for your team while you are away... Nose into TB's and you should have good torp beats...

218 posts
3 minutes ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Yes, US cruisers have great AA. Atlanta is really good but it is a Premium. Also, Cleveland and the ships at Tier VIII & above have excellent AA (New Orleans, Baltimore and Des Moines). Good luck and have fun shooting those enemy planes out of the sky.

Thanks for the help

218 posts
1 minute ago, pmgaudio said:

never chase down a cv until it is the last or second to last ship left... you leave your team without you to support, and it always ends badly for your team while you are away... Nose into TB's and you should have good torp beats...

I am going to do some practice in training rooms first cause when i first got the Hosho I went to a training room and could not get the dive bomber to drop the bombs......till I realized they where fighters planes :Smile_facepalm::Smile_facepalm:

[SF] pewpewpew42 557
2,341 posts
4,550 battles

Be wary of:

T4 - Yubari (DFAA)

T5 - Texas, Nicholas (DFAA), Kirov, Bogue

T6 - All cruisers (except Huang He, Leander and Perth), Farragut (DFAA)

[PVE] Kizarvexis 441
3,019 posts
4,650 battles
37 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

In PvE, the bots charge hard, so I would work on whatever ships are coming to your side of the map and help your team with them as much as you can. I would use your fighter(s) for taking out the TB and DBs as they head in on your team. Save the bot CV for last as you can usually wipe out the bot planes in PvE. I spot with the fighter(s) when I'm not actively shooting down planes.

I only have 2 battles in PvP in T4 CVs, so you will have to ask a CV main about playing there.

218 posts
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

In PvE, the bots charge hard, so I would work on whatever ships are coming to your side of the map and help your team with them as much as you can. I would use your fighter(s) for taking out the TB and DBs as they head in on your team. Save the bot CV for last as you can usually wipe out the bot planes in PvE. I spot with the fighter(s) when I'm not actively shooting down planes.

I only have 2 battles in PvP in T4 CVs, so you will have to ask a CV main about playing there.

I will probably be cooping it for awhile, i am scared of the dark side. 

[PVE] Kizarvexis 441
3,019 posts
4,650 battles
Just now, wildcat18 said:

I will probably be cooping it for awhile, i am scared of the dark side. 

I'm a PvE main as well. Do try PvP every once in a while when there is a reward you like. I have found that BB, then CA/CL, then DD works the best for me. Try going a bit lower tier than you play in PvE as a start.

218 posts
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

I'm a PvE main as well. Do try PvP every once in a while when there is a reward you like. I have found that BB, then CA/CL, then DD works the best for me. Try going a bit lower tier than you play in PvE as a start.

Oh I will at some point, no rush. The one good thing about the bots is they don't argue with each other. :Smile_teethhappy:

[E-E] HazeGrayUnderway 2,753
10,935 posts
10,065 battles

All this is if the ships took an AA Build.  The higher in tier you go, the more lethal AA gets to the point where you can be left wondering, "What the hell can I do in all this AA?"  It's a check against the increased power of some of those high tier Carriers.

Spoiler

Tier IV

Cruiser Yubari - Catches new CV players off guard.  The only good AA boat in tier.

Tier V

BB Texas - You want to lose most of your bombers for the match?  Send them against Texas.

BB Konig - With BFT & AFT, while not the best AA in tier and certainly nowhere like Texas, she will cost you a lot more planes than is typical with other ships in tier.

Tier VI

Cruiser Cleveland - Typically the first real ship to make you say, "WTH happened to all my planes?"  Dangerous long range AA out to 7.2km.  The scary part is this is one of the most played ships in the game.

BB New Mexico, Bayern - Not often thought of as an AA threat but she can be built to be pretty respectable AA specs that will cost you dearly.

Tier VII

Cruisers Indianapolis, Pensacola - Long range AA isn't good but their medium range AA is very dangerous to your planes.  The AA is really only good for self defense, otherwise they lack the range to help teammates more.

Cruiser Atlanta - Unlike those previous 2 Cruisers listed in Tier VII, Atlanta has lethal long range AA, max 7.2km range.

Cruiser Belfast - Believe it or not, Belfast has the foundation of a deadly AA boat but almost nobody builds for it.

BB Colorado, Duke of York, Hood - These BBs lack good long range AA capability but at shorter ranges will cause good losses.  Hood is unique in that she is the only BB with Defensive Fire.  Even then, it's special in that it only applies the DF buff to her very short range AA rockets that reach out to 2.2km at the very most with build dedication.  In that radius and if she pops DF, your planes are gone.

BB Lyon - Very dangerous AA, max range of 7.5km with decent AA DPS but at 5.1km, your planes start disappearing.

BB Gneisenau - Tied with Lyon for the best BB AA in tier.  The heart of her AA is at long range and she reaches out to 7.5km.

Tier VIII

Cruiser New Orleans - See Pensacola, Indianapolis.

Cruiser Adm.Hipper / Prinz Eugen - Best Cruiser AA in tier.  Unlike the New Orleans, these 2 can reach out further to cause more losses.

BB North Carolina, Alabama - Extremely dangerous BB AA, long range out to 7.2km and gets nastier as you get closer.  For a long time, NC was the best BB AA for Tier VIII.  Until this next ship came along.

BB Kii - You know your AA is deadly when it trivializes North Carolina's.

BB Richelieu - New French BB.  Like Lyon at Tier VII, reaches out to 7.5km but the real hurt starts at 5.1km.  Unlike Lyon, she has a deadly short range AA suite also.

DD Kidd - Can have good DD AA ability and has access to Defensive Fire.

DD Akizuki - Can have good DD AA but lacks Defensive Fire.

Tier IX

Cruiser Baltimore, Roon - Excellent AA for the tier, including range.

Cruiser Neptune - Lacks Defensive Fire but can have very high AA DPS and long range, out to 8.6km.

BB Missouri / Iowa - Continues tradition of NC.

BB Lion - Good AA can be found here.

DD Fletcher - See Kidd.

Tier X - Have fun!

Cruiser Des Moines, Hindenburg, Moskva, Henri IV - All great AA.

Cruiser Minotaur - See Neptune.

BB Montana, Conqueror - Great AA capability.

DD Grozovoi, Gearing - See Kidd.

That list, it must be stressed, is if the ship adopts a proper AA Build.  If those ships don't have an AA Build then their danger to your planes is considerably less.  Here is a great example, an old video of Aerroon testing an old build of Graf Zeppelin and attacking a North Carolina.  NC has a GREAT AA reputation, but without an AA spec, she may as well be defenseless as Musashi (hint hint).

"How can I tell ahead of the match if the ship has good AA?"

ALWAYS preview stats while the match is loading.  When the match is loading, go to Team Members tab.  Hover your cursor over the player's ship icon to see their ship stats.  Give it a few seconds when the screen appears because it takes the game a bit of time to update the stats from stock stats to what the ship really is built for.  You can only do this when the match is loading, hitting TAB during the battle will not let you do this on the Team Members tab.

FBMvJdL.jpg

Take a look at that Gneisenau's AA.  That's typical for a Secondary Spec Gneisenau, it's still pretty decent, costly for you, but she is a viable target.  An 81 AA rating is something to consider, but not be fearful of.  That is the typical Gneisenau AA you will find as they are almost all Secondary Spec.  Buuuuuttt... If you don't pay attention during this loading phase to see which ships are indeed dangerous in AA, then you may let slip b*stards like me sailing something like Gneisenau in a very unconventional, but deadly effective AA Build.  A proper AA Gneisenau looks like this.

oLLzQM3.jpg

That is an old picture.   The difference now compared to then is I added Manual AA trait.  93 AA rating, 96 with signal flag, she swats down even Tier IX aircraft, reaches out to 7.5km.  Basically an Atlanta with no Defensive Fire, but I have Manual AA trait to make up for it.  I can be my group's AA boat.  I catch a lot of guys with her because they don't preview and think I'm simply another German BB with sh*t AA.  If you preview like I said, you'll catch me and avoid me.

Again, I ***HIGHLY*** suggest previewing.  This lets you know, without a doubt, who the real AA threats are.  Because some people will use a Great AA Boat but not build for AA because they deem it pointless.  Atlanta, Cleveland, North Carolina, Iowa, Missouri, etc... They can be found with s--t AA, and it's up to you to make them pay for it by treating them as if they were a Tirpitz.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Carl 402
4,267 posts
1,422 battles

For AA check my sig link.

218 posts
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Again, I ***HIGHLY*** suggest previewing.

Reveal hidden contents

Tier IV

Cruiser Yubari - Catches new CV players off guard.  The only good AA boat in tier.

Tier V

BB Texas - You want to lose most of your bombers for the match?  Send them against Texas.

BB Konig - With BFT & AFT, while not the best AA in tier and certainly nowhere like Texas, she will cost you a lot more planes than is typical with other ships in tier.

Tier VI

Cruiser Cleveland - Typically the first real ship to make you say, "WTH happened to all my planes?"  Dangerous long range AA out to 7.2km.  The scary part is this is one of the most played ships in the game.

BB New Mexico, Bayern - Not often thought of as an AA threat but she can be built to be pretty respectable AA specs that will cost you dearly.

Tier VII

Cruisers Indianapolis, Pensacola - Long range AA isn't good but their medium range AA is very dangerous to your planes.  The AA is really only good for self defense, otherwise they lack the range to help teammates more.

Cruiser Atlanta - Unlike those previous 2 Cruisers listed in Tier VII, Atlanta has lethal long range AA, max 7.2km range.

Cruiser Belfast - Believe it or not, Belfast has the foundation of a deadly AA boat but almost nobody builds for it.

BB Colorado, Duke of York, Hood - These BBs lack good long range AA capability but at shorter ranges will cause good losses.  Hood is unique in that she is the only BB with Defensive Fire.  Even then, it's special in that it only applies the DF buff to her very short range AA rockets that reach out to 2.2km at the very most with build dedication.  In that radius and if she pops DF, your planes are gone.

BB Lyon - Very dangerous AA, max range of 7.5km with decent AA DPS but at 5.1km, your planes start disappearing.

BB Gneisenau - Tied with Lyon for the best BB AA in tier.  The heart of her AA is at long range and she reaches out to 7.5km.

Tier VIII

Cruiser New Orleans - See Pensacola, Indianapolis.

Cruiser Adm.Hipper / Prinz Eugen - Best Cruiser AA in tier.  Unlike the New Orleans, these 2 can reach out further to cause more losses.

BB North Carolina, Alabama - Extremely dangerous BB AA, long range out to 7.2km and gets nastier as you get closer.  For a long time, NC was the best BB AA for Tier VIII.  Until this next ship came along.

BB Kii - You know your AA is deadly when it trivializes North Carolina's.

BB Richelieu - New French BB.  Like Lyon at Tier VII, reaches out to 7.5km but the real hurt starts at 5.1km.  Unlike Lyon, she has a deadly short range AA suite also.

DD Kidd - Can have good DD AA ability and has access to Defensive Fire.

DD Akizuki - Can have good DD AA but lacks Defensive Fire.

Tier IX

Cruiser Baltimore, Roon - Excellent AA for the tier, including range.

Cruiser Neptune - Lacks Defensive Fire but can have very high AA DPS and long range, out to 8.6km.

BB Missouri / Iowa - Continues tradition of NC.

BB Lion - Good AA can be found here.

DD Fletcher - See Kidd.

Tier X - Have fun!

Cruiser Des Moines, Hindenburg, Moskva, Henri IV - All great AA.

Cruiser Minotaur - See Neptune.

BB Montana, Conqueror - Great AA capability.

DD Grozovoi, Gearing - See Kidd.

Thanks, i do that now to see who has torps.

[WOLF2] cometguy 606
1,791 posts
3,994 battles

Not really AA relates, but be hesitant to try to torp British cruisers with auto drops. Hitting them with manual drops is tricky, so hitting them with auto dropped torps requires a complete failure to act on their part.