Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kindarinvincible

Fighter vs. figher strafing is unrealistic

14 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
4,965 battles

The air-to-air strafing option for fighters is just wrong on many levels and it should be eliminated for aircraft-to-aircraft engagements. It creates far too much damage to the target squadron and is a completely unrealistic tactic. Aircraft operate in three dimensions so a wingtip to wingtip strafing run of fighters against other aircraft makes no sense.  For example,  if the target squadron drops 50 meters in altitude the aggressor squadron's bullets would simply fly overhead.   It also assumes that the target squadron would not maneuver which is also unrealistic.  Fighter vs. fighter contact at the merge is not a jousting match, it's a 3 dimensional battle. The current strafing profile represents a 2D mindset in a 3D environment. If it appears in any WWII era fighter tactics documents, which I doubt, it is likely only in very early (pre-1930s) air-to-air tactics manuals. Strafing would, however, be a wonderful addition for fighter-to-ship attacks.  Damage to the armored ships would be minimal so it would only be useful against a DD or possibly a CV, and it would need to be limited to fighters shooting .50Cal or 12.5mm ammo and above (i.e. higher tier aircraft).  This tactic was used successfully in WWII by allied fighters and other specially equipped aircraft using API or HE rounds.  Smaller caliber weapons just wouldn't penetrate even thinly armored DDs so the lower tier fighters shouldn't have that option. Lastly, many WWII carrier based fighters were equipped to carry smaller bombs. That could be made a refit option should the captain choose it. It would be an especially effective option if all enemy fighters have been taken out as it would give the remaining fighters additional game play.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

So many things about this game are unrealistic because we don't have all day to have a battle. With the current AA mechanics, most ships aren't going to have enough AA to defend themselves from a top tier CV, so you need a way to deal with bombers quickly, but not automatically.

Members
2,223 posts
14,034 battles

You realize you are playing an arcade game not a simulator. As such there are many mechanics that don't reflect reality.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

Strafing against planes should never have been put in the game. It is an unbalanced gimmick put in to counter other balancing issues that WG failed to deal with. 

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,569 battles
5 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

Strafing against planes should never have been put in the game. It is an unbalanced gimmick put in to counter other balancing issues that WG failed to deal with. 

It was ok until they buffed the hell out of it and added a crap ton more ammo to fighters.  Then it got ridiculous.  Being able to wipe out an enemies entire strike package with one fighter group just doesn't feel right.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
4,532 posts
11,434 battles

Lots of pickings to choose from when it comes to "unrealistic" in this game.

However, I agree with FleetAdmiral_Assasin.  The strafing mechanic does seem a bit cheesy.

Just one of the many reasons why I choose not to play CVs in the first place.

Members
7 posts
4,965 battles

I repeat my objections to the strafe tactic!! It is ruining the CV game.  In a game that prides itself in realism, the strafe is completely unrealistic.  The few who master strafing have a completely lopsided advantage which cuts against the grain of World of Warships.  CV's are hard enough to master without adding this unnecessary, arcade-like falsehood. The joy of play World of Warships is in the mastery of fighting the ship in an environment where there is a sense of realism. Having this arcade trick-play available is infuriating and destroys my interest in playing CVs in the future.  Eliminate it or watch people like me continue to walk away from CV play. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
582 posts
4,587 battles

CVs for me are on hold until the re-work is out. Wont invest into them until I see the changes.

To the OP, yes strafing is OP in skilled hands. Its one of the many reasons why CVs are detested as a great CV player will dominate an average one.

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,923 posts
3,315 battles

Strafe Unrealistic? Though the wording used is incorrect, the tactic itself holds some realism. Flying Tigers diving down onto enemy aircraft, firing as they do so, then keeps on diving and breaks engagement. That tactic was the best our P-40s were capable of against the far more maneuverable Japanese aircraft.

Where the tactic in game differs: The firing continues until the selected path is complete. Fighters do not break engagement (i.e. heads home).

[RO-I]
Members
64 posts
1,670 battles

Strafing is abject.  Manual dropping is OK, but strafing? Strafing is the tool used by a "skilled" player to terrorize other decent CV players.

PS: By "skilled" I mean a no real life neckbeard, who passed hundreds of hours from his worthless life in coop battles to learn  this abject technique.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

> realistic

> arcade game

Choise one.

But yeah, strafe is 'too strong', need be nerfed a bit.

[RO-I]
Members
64 posts
1,670 battles

And not only strafing, but the "strafing out"? What is this? Disengaging by shooting the air?

Another abject method used by neck beards, to keep your fighters engaged in one place with one of their squadrons, then the abject neck beard disengage with a strafe out and delete your fighters by strafing them with another fighter squadron.

These things ruin the fun of playing CVs.

[ONAVY]
Members
708 posts
6,142 battles

It should be an EASY fix to ...click "Remove Strafe Option" from the game code it fracking can not be that hard. It should have been removed two patches ago. Its not rocket science.

Image result for goofy goober

Edited by C_D

Sign in to follow this