You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kenzayla

Tips on staying alive longer

26 comments in this topic

Members
16 posts
305 battles

I just recently started playing wows. Really enjoy it. I read and watch as much as i can about gameplay, tips, and specific ships that i have. I just got the omaha, and while i try to stay behind islands and only showing low angles, when i do hard turns to get away it seems i get 1 shotted while doing so. Its happened 3X in a row. My hp is still about 2/3 when it happens, and enemy ships are still around 10kms away. 

Any tips on how i can prolong becoming shark bait?

[HINON]
Members
8,836 posts

Get the c hull and range upgrade to fire from further out. Use islands to limit where ships can shoot you from. Don't be afraid to stop firing so you go dark and can reposition. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles

Play all classes of ships so you have at least a basic understanding of what they are capable of.

[WOLF4]
Members
78 posts
4,455 battles

Your turns are when you're most vulnerable, you're showing broadside and your speed decreases.  A good BB player is going to hold his fire until you're making that turn.  To counter that, hold off on your turn until the BB that's engaging you has just fired.  Then you've got 20-30 seconds before he goes again. 

If you're being engaged by multiple targets, hold your fire and evade their fire while waiting the 20 seconds for your extra detection range from firing your guns to dissipate.  This only works if all of the enemy ships are outside of your normal detection range though.  

Also, 10km is pretty close to be engaging a BB in a Omaha.  That might be part of your problem.  You need to be kiting BBs in light cruisers like that.  Kiting BBs means getting them to chase you, but using your speed to keep them at about the furthest range you can shoot, while you dodge their shots and burn them down.

Edited by Paulbearer82
  • Cool 1

Members
1,767 posts
8,068 battles
43 minutes ago, Kenzayla said:

I just recently started playing wows. Really enjoy it. I read and watch as much as i can about gameplay, tips, and specific ships that i have. I just got the omaha, and while i try to stay behind islands and only showing low angles, when i do hard turns to get away it seems i get 1 shotted while doing so. Its happened 3X in a row. My hp is still about 2/3 when it happens, and enemy ships are still around 10kms away. 

Tier 5 Cruisers aren't great at bouncing shells, even when angled. You will probably have better luck dodging but you will want to be a little further out.

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,419 battles
48 minutes ago, Kenzayla said:

Letting them get 10KM from you is your first and probably biggest mistake. Others have already posted about how to time your turns.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

10km...yikes. I sail around like a chicken with its head cut off at 14k in my Omaha. It seems like I constantly have a 3 or 4 in my detection circle. The BBs love to ignore the rest of your team to shoot at the weak target. Knowing when to turn and kite while delivering a volley or two to light a  few fires is valuable. I'm almost to the Cleveland thankfully. 

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

Don't be [edited]stupid...

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
89 posts
11,830 battles

Do NOT get the C hull, because you lose torpedoes in exchange for AA, which is junk anyway. The B hull has the same range as the C hull.

10 km is way too close for Omaha.

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

try to time your turn so that it is in between salvos that can delete you.

Do note that there is a limitation to this when you are facing cruisers, as they will reload before you can complete your turn.

Usually you want to get turned around before 12km in.

Ideally, you should find an island or get back into concealment before executing highly risky turns.

You can get back into concealment by not firing your guns for 20s and not being spotted by another, stealthier, ship

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,602 posts
14,017 battles

When you get sunk, when you lose, take on honest assessment on what you were doing, what you failed to do to promote a chance for the team to win.  Guys also frequently put themselves into really, really dumb situations.  When they get rekt, they get too upset and don't acknowledge they did something stupid.  When you sink, can you immediately think and acknowledge you did something wrong, and know exactly what it is you did, or failed to do to lead into it?  This is the most important, IMO.  When you sink, and watch the match unfold after, you should be able to quickly recognize, "I should have done this and it would have helped for a better chance to win."

Most of the time I like to watch the rest of the match, win or lose, after I get sunk.  Watch what people do and you see good moves and bad moves.  Learn from them.

If you got the time, see replays of what people are doing.  Don't go for the easy ones, i.e. some unicum getting a kraken and carrying the team with a 3000 pt score.  They're too good and they make it look too easy.  No, see the ones where people are having problems.  Sometimes people put up replays asking for help.  I invite you to check it.  Watch and catch the mistakes they are doing.  Eventually you can catch mistakes the other players are doing relative to what's going on in the match.

Know where you are on the map, how useful you are there, how much danger you are putting yourself in that position.

Know the proper action to take for the match situation.

Stuff like that, proper action at the right situation, I promise you will help you win more games.  It's not about being the most accurate shooter.  It's taking the right action to help towards winning the match.

Is it best for you to run after that fleeing ship taking you out to the middle of nowhere?

Or is it better to force him to flee and then use your momentum and continue the attack to a cap, or possibly attack an engaged enemy group from the side?

You'd be surprised how people will fail answering that.  They want the kill, but they end up chasing someone kiting them to the middle of nowhere, where they can't attack their friends from the flank or rear.  They want to chase the kill, chase the damage statistics, but they forget they are jeopardizing the chance to win by putting themselves into a 100% useless spot for victory.

Also remember:  You being alive is important to the team.  You being so far back that you are useless, but still alive, is not important to the team.  There's a balance that needs to be struck.

A BB sitting so far back that his shots are inaccurate is useless.

A DD hiding BEHIND the Battleships and Cruisers is so useless that it's enraging to the team.

A CV that won't spot dangerous ships at critical times is useless.

A Radar Cruiser that refuses to go get into a position to help against the caps, DDs, is useless to the team.

All that is sparked by a need to stay alive, a fear of getting sunk.  But playing it TOO safe isn't any good.  A good dose of SMART aggression is vital.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[BB22]
Members
135 posts
21,851 battles

Never sail in the straight line with that boat once you're detected. Always be turning.  Your armor can be penetrated by Cruisers with 6-inch guns from the bow into the foward magazine for a citadel. 

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,992 posts
7,652 battles

Use concealment. That's all there is to it.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
4 hours ago, Kenzayla said:

I'm gonna go ahead and tell you the truth. The best and easiest all around class to play is the Battleship. This game was literally going to be called World of Battleships at one point and it shows all over. The highest proportion of players are BB players. WG knows this, considers it an issue, but does little change the situation. Biggest guns, longest range, highest HP pool, counters for almost everything that counters them some of them even baked in (torp resist which should be their biggest counter but aren't unless they eat a TON of torps, impressive massive AA without having to spec in to it for an entire line, it goes on and on) . In a BB when you die it's pretty much always your fault. Nothing else is as mistake friendly as a BB; not even close.

My first T10 was the German GK battleship, it's okay, it used to be a lot better (it didn't get nerfed but a lot of things around it got better, the meta is all about hiding, camping, and trying to kill from range and they suck at that). As others have said, you should play all of the classes. There are national flavors. There is a hell of a lot of depth to this game. If you have the money to brute force it, I strongly recommend the Missouri before it's removed from the game. It's the best all around BB of all of the ones I've played and has radar (you will learn how stupid that is later) and it makes more credits than anything else in game because of a hidden multiplier. That's something else you learn about. This game has a metric fuckton of hidden stats and factors that aren't indicated anywhere that you hear about piecemeal. Best advice though, is play what you like, the more you play the better you'll get.

Edited by w4spl3g

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,420 battles

First of all, remember to have patience. Take your time and analyze the situation before committing to any action. An easy mistake for new players is being too eager to damage and putting themselves in danger.

Omaha, in particular, is an extremely squishy ship. Your armor is pretty much non-existent. She also has terrible concealment which can make it a pain to play her.

Her biggest advantage is her fast speed and great maneuverability. In addition, her gun placement makes you able to shoot no matter how crazy you wiggle your ship. So you want to dance around to frustrate your opponent. The only time you can stop is when you can shoot from stealth behind an island. Do not try to bow-tank at all. You will be obliterated.

Lastly, USN cruiser line starting Omaha can be pretty hard for new players. Try out some other lines if you feel too frustrated by the ship. In my experience, it takes around 500-1000 games for most players to get a hang of the game. So take your time to learn. 

[BNKR]
Members
645 posts
659 battles
4 hours ago, BullpupWOT said:

10km...yikes. I sail around like a chicken with its head cut off at 14k in my Omaha. It seems like I constantly have a 3 or 4 in my detection circle. The BBs love to ignore the rest of your team to shoot at the weak target. Knowing when to turn and kite while delivering a volley or two to light a  few fires is valuable. I'm almost to the Cleveland thankfully. 

I saw you in a match a couple nights ago while sailing my Tirpitz. I tried to say hello but my shots flew long :cap_look:

[INTEL]
Members
8,429 posts
25,290 battles

1. Hug islands. Learn to shoot over them. 

2. That voice that says "don't do this" -- ya gotta listen to it

3. Play low tier IJN DDs until you are solid in them. That will teach you much about positioning and situational awareness. Do not switch to a BB. The huge HP pool will mask that fact that you are out of position and playing poorly. Play DDs until you understand where you need to be at all times.

4. Do not move up to use torps in a cruiser. You are a cruiser, not a DD, and will be spotted and killed. BB captains love to see cruisers pushing up pretending to be DDs. Torps are situational and you should wait til the moment arrives to use them.

5. Take Priority Target Capt's skill, in a cruiser it is a lifesaver. 

6. Kill DDs. This will save your BBs who can then tank damage for you.

Members
567 posts
75 battles

Never be in a position where you have 3+ ships shooting you at the same time for longer than say 60-90 seconds, which is actually a really long time in the heat of battle. You cannot exchange fire fast enough to be effective. In other words, your rate of hitpoint loss is extremely inefficient to the point that it's no longer honorably tanking for the team, it's suicide. 

Tomatoes will argue against that, but that's why they're tomatoes. They have a very warped perception regarding the value their actions have (aka Dunning-Kruger syndrome). If they were right, they'd be producing results, but they aren't. 

The only rare exception to this rule is if you are in a top tier BB bow tanking in reverse and most of the enemies firing at you are shooting AP because they don't know better. 

[0O0O0]
Members
16,315 posts
12,175 battles

Everyone has said, play Atlanta.... Figure her out. She is a [edited] but she can make you feel good. Lol

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Here's a something you might want to try doing. 

1. Get a brand new commander 

2. Equip the following skills: PT and IFA

3. When PT is actively showing the more than 2x ships "Locked on" identify which ships have you targeted. 

4. When IFA becomes active (it will change the word "Detected" to "Incoming") when shots are fired at you will a TTT of 6s or longer. 

Once you learn how to identify which ships are targeting you and what range X-Ship is for a "long range shot" you'll be one step closer to learning how to stay alive long Without those skills. 

The reason for using a "new commander" is because if you're using a higher level one, you will be handicapping your Skill options when you consider yourself capable enough to function without skills like PT or IFA when you elect not to pick them. Getting 2x Lv1 skills before Lv10 or Lv14 is a poor build order for a commander.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,893 battles
9 hours ago, Kenzayla said:

There is some good advice in this thread.  In a Tier 5 Cruiser, particularly a ship like the Omaha that has a reputation for being an easy kill, you are often going to be a priority target. I would suggest:

• Your first Captain skill point should be 'Priority Target' - whilst having the counter at 1 doesnt mean you're safe, you know that you are very unsafe when it is 4+ and you should focus of dodging incoming shots (and, ideally, stop firing to go dark and sneak away if possible).  
    • In cruisers, knowing when NOT to fire is as important as being able to aim well when firing.  
  • Hiding behind islands is good.  
  • Knowing when to run from your island cover is better - either very early (typically  when you notice on your minimap that your team is very weak on that side and the enemy is strong), or very late (when you are trying to use your torps at close range to kill the enemy - this can still be worthwhile but you need practice to make it work. You usually die though). 
  • If you have to turn broadside infront of enemy battleships, pay close attention to when they fire.  Commence your turn just before they fire (ideally) or as soon as you can afterwards (typical).  At low tier, you usually have a ~30 second window to complete the turn and get back into cover/stealth/dodge.  Dont leap out infront of four battleships that are all loaded and looking right at you.  That's a paddlin'. 
  • If at all possible, stay at long range.  Use your floating HE to set fires on enemy battleships as your primary source of damage (with sonar/close range guns to kill destroyers if the opportunity presents itself - this tends to win more games, but puts you at extreme risk particularly when you are inexperienced).  
  • Keep an eye out for battleships that are distracted firing at your teammates.  That doesnt usually happen when you're in an Omaha, but it does happen with other ships - shoot the battleships that are not looking at you to split their fire or attention and reduce to risk to you. 
  • Pay attention to those ships (particularly battleships) that just put out a fire (or a flood) - you should want to put a new fire or flood on that ship as soon as you can (usually about 15 seconds after they push the button, Damage Control Party (DCP) goes into cooldown) - this means the fire 'sticks' for longer and you can do more damage for the same risk.
  • Learning to dodge is very important.  As a cruiser, you have the advantage in agility if you watch the enemy battleships that are trying to fire at you - count to 25 after their last shot, and throw your ship into full reverse (but keep the heading) - when they fire, turn hard (usually away, but dont be too predictable) - then speed up and shoot them back after their shells miss you and they are reloading.  
    • The speed change is important, as it is hard for players to see that you threw it in full reverse as the smoke is still black and it takes a few seconds to become noticable - usually just after they fire. 
    • Generally, them cursing you as a ninja in global chat is a good indication that you're doing it right. 
  • Accept that, as a cruiser, you often die.  The question is to what extent you've hurt the enemy ships that needed hurting the most (destroyers) and harassed the enemy ships that helped your teammates kill them.  

Good luck!

Edited by UltimateNewbie