You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
broats

Richelieu thoughts

43 comments in this topic

[CWD]
Members
69 posts

Got lucky with one of the French crates and finished up the mission and played my first three games in the Richelieu. A few thoughts -

1. The guns, oh man the guns. I'll start with the positive here. The turret turn-time is excellent. With the 10 point Captain you get from the collection and EM your turret turn-time is 30 seconds, which I believe is second only to the Roma at T8. With both turrets being in a superfiring position and always pointed the same direction changing targets quickly is a breeze. 314m dispersion at 25km and 1.8 sigma leaves you feeling like you're running around with a shotgun. They can be absolutely devastating up close but at range you might as well start buying lottery tickets because your chances of winning are about the same as hitting anything other than a GK at 18+km. The inconsistency can be very frustrating when you're shooting a broadside BB at 10km and you get 2 overpens out of 8 perfectly aimed shells. It is much worse than Roma in this regard IMO. I haven't any points into secondary battery skills but when something gets within range the hits start racking up pretty quick.

2. This ship has the need for speed. WITHOUT speed flags and fully upgraded with the boost that gets you to 34.6 knots, or 36.3 with. It has what I would call very good acceleration for a battleship, and that is made even better with the activation of speed boost. Torpedo beats are a breeze, even with a 12.3 second rudder shift.

3. In my opinion, it is a very well survivable ship. With PM, EM, BFT, and CE you get an AA defense rating of 83 putting up a grand total of 553 DPS, which is certainly nothing to scoff at. With premium camos your detectability is 12.6 which puts it firmly in the middle of the pack as far on Concealment goes, certainly not excellent but not horrible either. 37% TDR means you aren't relegated to the rear if you eat 2 or 3 torps. Throw in the turtleback citadel, and it is very tanky feeling. 

Overall, I enjoy it very much and am looking forward to the rest of the line. I think the French BBs will give the Germans a run for their money as the "Brawling" battleships. I hope this helps make some folks minds up about this ship and line as there has been a lot of squawking on the forums. 

• Cool 7

[CWD]
Members
69 posts

Once you get the hang of it, this ship is really something when you play it as a brawler. This game I flanked around the side and came at their fleet from behind nailing their CV in the process.

shot-18.02.10_17.21.26-0701.jpg

• Cool 1

[POET]
Members
301 posts
1,794 battles

Regarding dispersion, I remember that Richelieu had the same dispersion pattern of Germans, and the same sigma as Bismarck, so what makes her worse than Roma (.1 loss isn’t that drastic and rolls are definitely not done per-turret)?

Also what’s base range for secondaries?

Edited by admiral_noone

[CWD]
Members
69 posts
23 minutes ago, admiral_noone said:

Regarding dispersion, I remember that Richelieu had the same dispersion pattern of Germans, and the same sigma as Bismarck, so what makes her worse than Roma (.1 loss isn’t that drastic and rolls are definitely not done per-turret)?

Also what’s base range for secondaries?

I think you'd just have to play it. I have a lot more consistent salvos it seems like with both the bis and the Roma than the Richelieu. Base it is 7.3, with 10.6 fully upgraded. (I sunk some free captain xp into her captain to bring him up to 14 points)

[POET]
Members
301 posts
1,794 battles
30 minutes ago, broats said:

Base it is 7.3, with 10.6 fully upgraded. (I sunk some free captain xp into her captain to bring him up to 14 points)

Huh, so it seems the buffs here went through after all...

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
1 hour ago, broats said:

I think you'd just have to play it. I have a lot more consistent salvos it seems like with both the bis and the Roma than the Richelieu. Base it is 7.3, with 10.6 fully upgraded. (I sunk some free captain xp into her captain to bring him up to 14 points)

I am experimenting with mine and tried a secondary build (SBM2 + Capt w/ BFT & AFT) and I only get 10.1km. How are you getting 10.6km? Manual AA doesn't extend range so what am I missing? It's 8.4km with BFT & AFT then +20% with SBM2 gets it to 10.1km (10.08). Where did you pick up the extra .5km range?

While it is kind of cool having that range, and being a Co-op player vs PVP so I actually brawl and can use a secondary build, there really aren't enough guns on it to make much use of them. Mostly they help when you have to run and then they are the only thing firing behind you LOL.

I am with you on the main guns. Man they are German BB wonky they are so bad (inaccurate).

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[POET]
Members
301 posts
1,794 battles
34 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I am experimenting with mine and tried a secondary build (SBM2 + Capt w/ BFT & AFT) and I only get 10.1km. How are you getting 10.6km? Manual AA doesn't extend range so what am I missing? It's 8.4km with BFT & AFT then +20% with SBM2 gets it to 10.1km (10.08). Where did you pick up the extra .5km range.

The flag.

Anyway, glad to see Richelieu's secondaries got buffed, even if they aren't Jean Bart's. Hoping for 12 km madness that is France, for that "alternate brawler" theme.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

314m dispersion @ 25km sounds really bad.

Bismarck: 274m @ 21.2km - German BB dispersion, not quite reliable.

NC:  293m @ 23.3km - A bit deceiving.  Her dispersion is pretty mediocre at 293m, but the way her shells fall more vertical, it doesn't spread around like a smear that other BBs do with their lower arc, higher velocity shells.

Amagi:  227m @ 19.9km - Has always had a reputation for good gunnery.

Richelieu's guns sound like Dunkeke's, but in 15" Tier VIII form.  Dunkeke at Tier VI does better at closer ranges, but if she has to duel at range, she's in trouble.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CWD]
Members
69 posts

The Richelieu does drive sort of like the dunkek but with very robust protection. It’s got 32mm of plating on top of a 330mm belt protecting a turtle back citadel that sits right at the waterline. If you angle properly you can dish out all of the punishment your guns will do while simultaneously bouncing AP salvo after AP salvo with near impunity. 430mm of protection on your turret faces means they will very rarely get knocked out. I played 12 games in mine today and had one knocked out from the side by a musashi. 

I think it could reliably go toe to toe with any t8 BB as it has no real glaring weaknesses other than its poor gun accuracy. 

[STW-M]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,488 battles

Richelieu is a beast when played within her niche.  As a flanking ship she is unbelievably overpowered and as a bow camper she's pretty balanced.  The gun accuracy is kinda meh but honestly it doesn't matter.  She produces consistently good games and I'm glad I got mine!  The 9.2km secondaries without MFCS or the secondary upgrade module is more than useful at getting impatient BB's to turn out and away to get your baguette launchers into the fight against broadsides!  She's dang good fun and I'm glad to have her!  If Alsace adds another turret to this play it's going to be ridiculous.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

These early reviews are very encouraging. This has been a ship I've been looking at awhile for historical reasons and the stats have looked good but it's nice to hear people affirming that it's good in game as well. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles
3 hours ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

Richelieu is a beast when played within her niche.  As a flanking ship she is unbelievably overpowered and as a bow camper she's pretty balanced.  The gun accuracy is kinda meh but honestly it doesn't matter.  She produces consistently good games and I'm glad I got mine!  The 9.2km secondaries without MFCS or the secondary upgrade module is more than useful at getting impatient BB's to turn out and away to get your baguette launchers into the fight against broadsides!  She's dang good fun and I'm glad to have her!  If Alsace adds another turret to this play it's going to be ridiculous.

Well, that's good to hear.  Tier V-VI has been disappointing.  VII has been great, so at least there's something VIII is good at.  It's weird this line is a late blooming line like RN CLs, but it gets good one tier later than that line.  Tier VII is a rather late spot for a line to start getting good.

[DAKI]
Members
621 posts
6,141 battles

how the hell do i get it!

4 hours ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

youtube videos on fr bbs soon!

\o/

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
9 hours ago, admiral_noone said:

The flag.

Anyway, glad to see Richelieu's secondaries got buffed, even if they aren't Jean Bart's. Hoping for 12 km madness that is France, for that "alternate brawler" theme.

Ah forgot the flag. +5% range does it. Doh...:Smile_facepalm:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
6 hours ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

Must have how to play French BB videos...must have...must have...must have... :Smile_teethhappy:

Get to work man and show me how to play them LOL :Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

314m dispersion @ 25km sounds really bad.

Bismarck: 274m @ 21.2km - German BB dispersion, not quite reliable.

NC:  293m @ 23.3km - A bit deceiving.  Her dispersion is pretty mediocre at 293m, but the way her shells fall more vertical, it doesn't spread around like a smear that other BBs do with their lower arc, higher velocity shells.

Amagi:  227m @ 19.9km - Has always had a reputation for good gunnery.

Richelieu's guns sound like Dunkeke's, but in 15" Tier VIII form.  Dunkeke at Tier VI does better at closer ranges, but if she has to duel at range, she's in trouble.

Stats aside, the guns on it really do feel like Gneisenau/Bismarck/Tirpitz "accuracy" (cough cough) level.  When you shoot, even close, it blows me away how the pattern just spreads wide so fast.

Now, as I have said above right now I am messing around with a secondary build. Maybe the aiming system would help this some (obviously it would - I mean in real play not on paper- the two don't always match up in this game)?

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles
5 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Stats aside, the guns on it really do feel like Gneisenau/Bismarck/Tirpitz "accuracy" (cough cough) level.  When you shoot, even close, it blows me away how the pattern just spreads wide so fast.

Now, as I have said above right now I am messing around with a secondary build. Maybe the aiming system would help this some (obviously it would - I mean in real play not on paper- the two don't always match up in this game)?

It sounds so much like Dunkerkque.  But there was a trick Dunkeke users do, and that's firing the guns from as forward an angle as possible.

[STW-M]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,488 battles
8 hours ago, awildpervert said:

how the hell do i get it!

youtube videos on fr bbs soon!

\o/

Gotta get the missions from the crates, either the premium ones or the free ones you get from the in game mission!

6 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Must have how to play French BB videos...must have...must have...must have... :Smile_teethhappy:

Get to work man and show me how to play them LOL :Smile_honoring:

Ohh don't worry, it's coming, but not as soon as some would like! :)  Will probably be end of March before we start getting to them!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
18 minutes ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

Gotta get the missions from the crates, either the premium ones or the free ones you get from the in game mission!

Ohh don't worry, it's coming, but not as soon as some would like! :)  Will probably be end of March before we start getting to them!

:Smile_teethhappy:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
46 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It sounds so much like Dunkerkque.  But there was a trick Dunkeke users do, and that's firing the guns from as forward an angle as possible.

I have Dunk as well although I don't play it much. Just not a fan of the all guns forward BB thing. But yes, it feels like Dunk and actually looks like it too LOL.

Wonky as a description for Richelieu's accuracy is being kind. LOL

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

Got the ship today.  First match I had the horror of someone knocking out both turrets in one salvo.  Nice.

Edit:  Third game with her, Kraken.  The guns are off / on for me.  When she's on, she's on, when she's off, she's, "Can't hit a stationary broadside Dmitri Donskoi at 11km" kind of off.  I get frequent flashes of a great ship offset by horrible gunnery.

Currently AA spec.  On paper she is like Lyon's AA where mid range aura is a killer.  Unlike Lyon, her short range AA gets even fiercer.  I can appreciate the 32mm as I've been able to tank Iowa 16"/50 and Alabama 16"/45 AP shells well.  There is no tanking with Lyon but angling and pray you don't get punched through the nose.

So basically I see Richelieu as trading Lyon's massive 16 rifle count for a faster, sturdier ship.  Even with AA spec the Secondaries reach out to 8.4km, which is quite decent.  My Tier VIII USN BB secondaries are barely in 7km even with Secondaries Spec.  Buuuut... I'm not sold on Secondary Spec on Richelieu for the simple fact her 152mm secondaries are sitting in some weird, half-useless spots, just like Dunkeke.  At least the 152's are firing HE, unlike Yamato, Musashi 155mm secondaries firing AP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles

I tried a full secondary build on Richelieu just to see and it gets out to 10.1km which is great BUT as you say the gun placement is so strange that only a couple can shoot at a time (unless you are running away and then they all can lol).

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

I've done about 6 matches with Ritchy Loo today, first 2 were bad losses and some so-so performance on my part.  It's slowly been getting better.  Gun dispersion still maddening at times.

I decided to switch to a Secondary Spec one match by swapping out AAGM2 for SBM2.  Right away I get into a CV match where my AA was hardly doing anything to a Ranger's Tier VII planes.  F--k that.  Right back to AA Spec.