You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire

Is this mod legal?

21 comments in this topic

Members
449 posts
7,767 battles

I wont name any details in case this is not legal so asking here. There is a mod that tracks the players last known speed and heading. It then displays where to aim and fire for a few seconds after the player vanishes due to spotting mechanics. The reason I'm asking this is because the current argument about if a mod is legal comes down to if its using information already available in the game. Like mods that calculate ship angling which are legal. This appears to be the same case to me. Its just doing the math for you.

What do you guys think?

Edited by EpicFlails

Members
3,400 posts
6,060 battles

Showing where to aim to me would make it illegal but it seems to be that Nikko or Pigeon need to weigh in rather than guess.

[-K-]
Supertester
3,085 posts
6,818 battles

Does the mod leave an image on the screen?  Or is it one that just shows last known position on the minimap?  If it's the former I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't be caught dead playing with that.  If it's the latter, WG's own official modpack has last known position mods.

Members
449 posts
7,767 battles
3 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Showing where to aim to me would make it illegal but it seems to be that Nikko or Pigeon need to weigh in rather than guess.

Its kind of tough because the definition of "information already available in game" is quite a grey area.

Members
449 posts
7,767 battles
3 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

Does the mod leave an image on the screen?  Or is it one that just shows last known position on the minimap?  If it's the former I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't be caught dead playing with that.  If it's the latter, WG's own official modpack has last known position mods.

It shows an image on screen that represents where the ship should be.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,888 battles

Anything that provides predictive information to assist in aiming is prohibited as far as I'm aware.  Since that mod provides an image showing where to aim once the target goes under concealment, I'm fairly certain it's an illegal mod.

[-K-]
Supertester
3,085 posts
6,818 battles
5 minutes ago, EpicFlails said:

It shows an image on screen that represents where the ship should be.

Like a ghost image that you can aim at with your targeting reticule?  If so, I'd delete that immediately and never use it again.  Predictive aim mods are explicitly banned.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
228 posts
3,980 battles
1 minute ago, The_Big_Dumb_Newb said:

So.. just to verify, the player isnt spotted but the mod shows you where too shoot? 

based on last-known speed & heading, yes

OP, there is no way I'd touch that mod

Members
42 posts
4,153 battles
Just now, Bear_82 said:

based on last-known speed & heading, yes

OP, there is no way I'd touch that mod

ok so its an aimbot. not a mod.

explains some of my recent "magical"deaths when im not spotted.

[O7]
Supertest Coordinator, Supertester
6,387 posts
7,321 battles

It sounds incredibly illegal. Showing a ghost ship from where people last were, yeah definitely a banned mod.

Members
756 posts
15,482 battles

Screenshot would go a long way in determination. Word pics are rich, but ambiguous. Pics focus the situation.

Members
449 posts
7,767 battles
6 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Screenshot would go a long way in determination. Word pics are rich, but ambiguous. Pics focus the situation.

Noway no how am I installing this. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,045 posts
9,250 battles
37 minutes ago, The_Big_Dumb_Newb said:

Not an Aimbot. Aimbot would hit the target no matter where you are aiming. What is being described here is Aim Assist, which shows you where to aim but you still need to do the aiming. Both are illegal mods.

• Cool 1

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

I wouldn't put this on my PC it sounds illegal as can be and WG's anti cheat system is kinda unpredictable. It's been banning players using mods even approved by WG lately which has led to a mess. This sort of thing will probably set that off so i'd get rid of it and make sure you run lots of anti malware and anti virus software to make sure you aren't compromised in some fashion. Those kinds of things are usually littered with miners and such.

[MIA-A]
Members
1,937 posts
6,535 battles
2 hours ago, The_Big_Dumb_Newb said:

It's worth recognizing people can do this without mods/bots/whatever too.

Every few matches I blap a CA (normally a CA...) who either makes a hard turn before going undetected or smokes/shoots. 

Good players can punish ships in a similar fashion, without aimbots or other mods.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

Aim assist is illegal, although the ghost image judging on speed and bearing may not be, as it has no guarantee that the position is correct. I would not think it could judge turns, then it might just be legal, but I would hold off on the mods, as even WG’s own mods are being identified as illegal, as was mentioned earlier.

Edited by GabeTheDespot

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,812 posts
3,498 battles
4 hours ago, Fodder4U said:

Not an Aimbot. Aimbot would hit the target no matter where you are aiming. What is being described here is Aim Assist, which shows you where to aim but you still need to do the aiming. Both are illegal mods.

aimbots do not hit targets, they lead targets.