You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Manually selecting targets

14 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

So I am considering dropping manual fire secondaries in favor of concealment in my Battleships, and I am wondering if manually selecting a target (air or ground) does anything or gives any added boosts.  Obviously if you do NOT have a captain with MFAA or secondaries. Selecting has become habit for me, even though I only run manual fire secondaries on my German BBs. Im liking concelament more and more, especially because all that manual secondaries does is increase dispersion (albeit by a lot)... Range is untouched, and it is at the cost of being only able to shoot at one target.

It seems that I read somewhere that your aa gets a boost if you shoot a selected target, but I am not 100% sure. Is there a point in selecting targets without manual fire? (Other than maybe situational awareness)

:Smile_honoring:

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles

If you have manual AA or secondaries on a ship, they will only fire at the target selected. That said, the secondaries will have a 60% decrease in dispersion, so that is a major benefit.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles
6 minutes ago, _Maho_Nishizumi_212 said:

If you have manual AA or secondaries on a ship, they will only fire at the target selected. That said, the secondaries will have a 60% decrease in dispersion, so that is a major benefit.

Actually manual aa still fires, but has increased damage(?) on selected targets

[KNMSU]
Members
1,417 posts
813 battles

That's it. +100% to AA efficiency for AA guns greater than 85mm against a priority target.

[HINON]
Members
8,834 posts
39 minutes ago, MCCIV said:

So I am considering dropping manual fire secondaries in favor of concealment in my Battleships, and I am wondering if manually selecting a target (air or ground) does anything or gives any added boosts.  Obviously if you do NOT have a captain with MFAA or secondaries. Selecting has become habit for me, even though I only run manual fire secondaries on my German BBs. Im liking concelament more and more, especially because all that manual secondaries does is increase dispersion (albeit by a lot)... Range is untouched, and it is at the cost of being only able to shoot at one target.

It seems that I read somewhere that your aa gets a boost if you shoot a selected target, but I am not 100% sure. Is there a point in selecting targets without manual fire? (Other than maybe situational awareness)

:Smile_honoring:

There is a small buff for aa and secondaries even without skills if you have a target selected for them.

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,223 posts
3,566 battles
39 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

There is a small buff for aa and secondaries even without skills if you have a target selected for them.

I've heard this from players, but is there something official that says it?

[HINON]
Members
8,834 posts
8 minutes ago, Hatework said:

I've heard this from players, but is there something official that says it?

The wiki has this info.

For AA.

"A particular enemy squadron can be targeted by Ctrl-clicking. This will cause the AA guns to prefer that squadron over all other targets, as well as giving a 30% DPS bonus."

It think it used to have a small dispersion bonus for secondaries but the wiki states this now.

"If there are multiple targets on one side of a ship, the nearest target will be automatically selected. Captains can hold CTRL and left click with their mouse to to focus an enemy target for their secondary battery; this will order the guns to focus that target regardless of range. Unlike anti-aircraft guns, selecting a focus target for the secondary battery provides no bonuses of any type."

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

From Wiki:

A particular enemy squadron can be targeted by Ctrl-clicking. This will cause the AA guns to prefer that squadron over all other targets, as well as giving a 30% DPS bonus. The Manual Control for Anti-Aircraft captain skill gives a +100% DPS bonus to AA guns of 85 mm or larger against a manually designated target.

Ninjas

Edited by MCCIV
  • Cool 1

Members
311 posts
2,336 battles

Without the skills you get 25% AA damage if you select, no effect on secondaries though.

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles

Hey

I have full manual secondaries on my Tirpitz but am finding that it's use is questionable anymore with today's meta and getting uptiered to T9/10 which it's more BB camping, sniping from distance (which is very boring to say the least).  I have on Bismarck just a BFT/AFT arrangement and buffed the main guns; I think this is more usable setup day in, day out.   I too and debating about specing out of secondaries and going for more of a durability build, especially with the HE spamming BB's these days.

Pete

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
694 posts
6,103 battles

So if understand correctly if I have manually targeted one ship on one side my secondary's on the opposite side will and do still engage targets they are able to?

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
694 posts
6,103 battles
1 hour ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I have full manual secondaries on my Tirpitz but am finding that it's use is questionable anymore with today's meta and getting uptiered to T9/10 which it's more BB camping, sniping from distance (which is very boring to say the least).  I have on Bismarck just a BFT/AFT arrangement and buffed the main guns; I think this is more usable setup day in, day out.   I too and debating about specing out of secondaries and going for more of a durability build, especially with the HE spamming BB's these days.

Pete

I find the up close and fierce battles more fun and unpredictable....I don't care if I'm first to die if I take someone with me and create an opportunity for the team in doing so...also I play for the fun of it not to get the highest score....maybe it's a novel thing to have fun but that's why I play.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
341 posts
6,559 battles

The only benefit you get with manual secondary's is better, closer shells landing near your target. The trade-off is rather huge though. You only get to use one side of your ship AND they will not fire unless you actually manually select the target. Compared to having both sides of the ship firing at two separate targets and opening fire the moment a ship shows up in range, I simply don't see the benefits of using 4 skill points for it.

Manual AA might be worth it IF CV's start making a return in more games/matches. For battleships and some cruisers, the added damage would provide a +6km no-fly zone that would strip CV's of their planes in seconds.

Manual Secondaries skill just doesn't help that much as, even with a full secondary build, the dispersion is only really geared towards close-combat against DD's. You still have just as much of a chance to hit and light another BB or cruiser on fire without the skill. <Sure more rounds will hit and you get a boost to damage and fire chance, but you will ultimately be taking these ships out with your main guns anyways. And, if you are in a German BB such as the Bismark, your secondary's will still do just as well without wasting 4 points that can be put into something it actually needs... such as fire prevention.

Edited by Levits