Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DQCraze

Why do they give Saipan T9 fighters.

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

17
[WB]
Members
117 posts
8,842 battles

Probably the worst case scenario, Ranger vs AA Saipan with a lvl 19 capt in a 5-7 match.  Ranger planes just get melted even when i do everything correctly there is little to no chance.  Is this really how the devs intended the Saipan to be.  May as well put a GK in a tier 5 match. It is so completely lopsided its not even funny, and i would love to see two of the best CV capts in the game go heads up with both commanders maxed out and equal skill level just to get an idea of how to control this situation.  Devs feel free to chime in.

Edited by DQCraze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,032
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,224 posts
6,433 battles

Saipan in exchange has a low hangar capacity. Basically the Saipan is ship that requires a good captain to be overpowered. If the player is good at strafing, then the ship shines. But if the player is not good, then he wil lose the head-on fights against other Carriers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
117
[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,793 battles
1 hour ago, DQCraze said:

Probably the worst case scenario, Ranger vs AA Saipan with a lvl 19 capt in a 5-7 match.  Ranger planes just get melted even when i do everything correctly there is little to no chance.  Is this really how the devs intended the Saipan to be.  May as well put a GK in a tier 5 match. It is so completely lopsided its not even funny, and i would love to see two of the best CV capts in the game go heads up with both commanders maxed out and equal skill level just to get an idea of how to control this situation.  Devs feel free to chime in.

Try to use your fleet's AA for your planes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
8,076 posts
17,037 battles
43 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Basically the Saipan is ship that requires a good captain to be overpowered.

In other words; completely useless for 80-90% of carrier drivers.

1 hour ago, DQCraze said:

Ranger vs AA Saipan with a lvl 19 capt in a 5-7 match.

Count yourself lucky OP. All I ever got in Ranger or Saipan was Tier 8 and 9 battles. Pointless matches where AA effectively rendered any CV useless...

...unless of course you wanted to spend half the effing match screwing around with the moronic aerial dance called strafing, hoping the rest of your team wasn't complete idiots, while you waited for AA levels to be reduced, so you could actually attack something and not get wiped out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,032
[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,224 posts
6,433 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

In other words; completely useless for 80-90% of carrier drivers.

Yep. I am average in CVs, and if the enemy Saipan doesn't strafe properly I beat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,216 posts
4,051 battles

Could be worse. You could be fighting a Saipan in an Independence while your allied Saipan is AFK. So it is a 2v1 where you out dog fight the Saipan but still get your Hanger depleted and lose.

bqWmyP2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles
23 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

In other words; completely useless for 80-90% of carrier drivers.

Count yourself lucky OP. All I ever got in Ranger or Saipan was Tier 8 and 9 battles. Pointless matches where AA effectively rendered any CV useless...

...unless of course you wanted to spend half the effing match screwing around with the moronic aerial dance called strafing, hoping the rest of your team wasn't complete idiots, while you waited for AA levels to be reduced, so you could actually attack something and not get wiped out.

You're overestimating enemy AA.  Most people don't go AA spec so you'll lose a few planes but be able to get off successful strikes.  My Lex is getting tossed into T10 matches all the time and the main issue I have is the enemy CV,  not enemy AA.  And even so far as enemy CV's go,  I'd say 90% of the CV's I fight aren't aware of strafing out of fighter lock and the other 10% murder me mercilessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
8,076 posts
17,037 battles
3 hours ago, Palladia said:

You're overestimating enemy AA

Not one bit. Though perhaps it's better to blame RNG? The number of times I've seen whole bomber squads wiped out on what should have (relatively) easy runs beggars belief.

Or how about Saipan's 'fast' torpedo planes...

...you know; the ones that are supposed to be better off because they don't have to be exposed to AA for so long?

Go in with six planes; come out with one or two and ZERO hits.

As far as my personal experience is concerned, players who whine about evil carriers blowing them away in a single attack are a bunch of d**n crybabies who obviously failed to use every means at their disposal to defend themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1,542 posts
26 battles

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the Saipan @DQCraze. Your experience is really great in helping to see how the ship is played. Do you have any suggestions you feel would ultimately help to improve the ship? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[OILFA]
Members
123 posts
10,246 battles

AHH there is one ship that is considered OP yet Saipan will absolutely lock it down ..KAGA >to me its the most perfect cv .It has weak planes but strong attack if the commander knows what he is doing. Every thing you do with a Kaga uses a fair amount of skill ..you cant use auto drop with this>>yes you will get hits but not very good hits  >>

Saipan can lock a Kaga down Hard simple using its ridicules mechanic of not losing a planes when strafing out And then there is being out tiered By 3 levels .no other cv in t 7 to 10 will ever see that.

Saipan cannot carry the  fleet like the other cv 's can ..it has only one use Kill planes ...i lazy man ship ...it does not require skill just a 10  point captain .and just like the OP AA ships no skill required Point and left click, what is this Play station .

Saipan however will never ever change i am glad it has been removed from sale  and my it stay that way.

Best way to fight Saipan is not to fight it at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles
1 hour ago, SCIVIRUS said:

AHH there is one ship that is considered OP yet Saipan will absolutely lock it down ..KAGA >to me its the most perfect cv .It has weak planes but strong attack if the commander knows what he is doing. Every thing you do with a Kaga uses a fair amount of skill ..you cant use auto drop with this>>yes you will get hits but not very good hits  >>

Saipan can lock a Kaga down Hard simple using its ridicules mechanic of not losing a planes when strafing out And then there is being out tiered By 3 levels .no other cv in t 7 to 10 will ever see that.

Saipan cannot carry the  fleet like the other cv 's can ..it has only one use Kill planes ...i lazy man ship ...it does not require skill just a 10  point captain .and just like the OP AA ships no skill required Point and left click, what is this Play station .

Saipan however will never ever change i am glad it has been removed from sale  and my it stay that way.

Best way to fight Saipan is not to fight it at all

The problem with the Saipan versus Kaga scenario is that the Kaga just has planes for days.  It can afford losses.  I was in a match where I by myself shot down fifty planes from the Kaga and who knows how many the rest of my team wiped out and he STILL had enough planes to harass me when I finally had to bring my planes in to rearm.  

The Saipan might win the air battle,  but good lord the Kaga wins the sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
2,731 posts
4,352 battles

Because it was uptiered, turned into a premium, and it needs some gimmick to make it...premium.

...and thus WG painted themselves into a corner...:Smile_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
On 2/10/2018 at 9:14 AM, SoftAndCute said:

Try to use your fleet's AA for your planes.

In most cases, the fleet's AA is going to be borderline negligible against a Saipan when top tier. People seem to not be speccing AA anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
352
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,065 posts
8,857 battles
On 2/10/2018 at 10:48 AM, SireneRacker said:

Yep. I am average in CVs, and if the enemy Saipan doesn't strafe properly I beat it.

I hate having to depend on strafing.  That why I hardly play the Saipan.  You mess up one strafe you are screwed.  Also, I don't like running torpedoes, so getting the win is hard to do since you depend on the team to put out the dps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
352
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,065 posts
8,857 battles
6 minutes ago, cometguy said:

In most cases, the fleet's AA is going to be borderline negligible against a Saipan when top tier. People seem to not be speccing AA anymore.

No problem is HE is killing all the AA...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
2 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

No problem is HE is killing all the AA...

They're both issues. But when you're a top tier CV up against a Saipan, and there's only a few other top tier ships in the game, well. Let's just say New Mexicos, and Fusos aren't going to be doing anything to a Saipan's fighters from the get go, let alone tier 5 ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
117
[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,793 battles
2 hours ago, cometguy said:

In most cases, the fleet's AA is going to be borderline negligible against a Saipan when top tier. People seem to not be speccing AA anymore.

You have a good point cause Saipan has T9 planes that can also strafe out of engagement without penalty.  Still, Ranger's fully upgraded fighters with AS commander skill will stand a better chance within friendly AA bubble.

 

He probably have to bait or split up  Saipan fighter squads with his bombers so his fighter can outgun Sapain fighters squad. I generally drop payload from my bomber to increase cruising speed and fake an attack run to draw Saipan fighters while positioning my TB with my fighter escorts in the opposite direction. Once they take the bait,  I launch my attack run with TB with fighter escorts, and recall my bomber(s) once his fighters are far enough.

 

It's easier said than done. Ultimately, it will come down to the skills of Saipan player and his. He will always an underdog if he choose to play tech tree USN CVs and he needs to be sneaky.  But when he pull off a win, it will be a lot more satisfying in USN CV cause he realizes he and his team did real good.

Edited by SoftAndCute

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[OILFA]
Members
123 posts
10,246 battles
16 hours ago, Palladia said:

The problem with the Saipan versus Kaga scenario is that the Kaga just has planes for days.  It can afford losses.  I was in a match where I by myself shot down fifty planes from the Kaga and who knows how many the rest of my team wiped out and he STILL had enough planes to harass me when I finally had to bring my planes in to rearm.  

The Saipan might win the air battle,  but good lord the Kaga wins the sea.

Kaga does not have fighters for days .but you are right about Kaga .it can Carry. Saipan Cant ..I had a double cv game today ..Me in Kaga team mate in Saipan VS Ranger and Kaga ...KNowing Kaga strike  force and Saipan AS this is the ultimate Combo ..i asked Teh saipan to escort my TB with my fighters to counter Kaga fighter ,my kaga fighter can Keep the Ranger fighter busy  ..and we both can snipe both cv's with no effort .....he refused wanting to spot DD's  so unable to snipe my fighter was task to interset Ranger strike i go them  ..Saipan one fighter Sq was in the centre of the map GOd knows why Spotted the Kaga  in the open my TB was ready and close so i ask ed him  to  help me again using F3 keys to get his attention to the Kaga and my TB ..the enemy kaga responded sending his fighter  Saipan did nothing even after repeated attempts  to get his attention ...i lost both sq ..My fighter was reloading at that time  after dealing with Ranger Fighter.then long story short i lost my ship do to flanking cruiser and he got 49 planes yet the enemy Kaga  got 4 ship top XP including 20 plus planes and the ranger got 2 kills including 20 plus planes ,..we lost the match and the Saipan had the Cheek to Brag about how many planes he shot down ..I checked out his Stats  and turns out he had 70% WR But only  20 battles with that Saipan..max plane kills  was 88 I have 113 .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
117
[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,793 battles
9 minutes ago, SCIVIRUS said:

Kaga does not have fighters for days .but you are right about Kaga .it can Carry. Saipan Cant ..I had a double cv game today ..Me in Kaga team mate in Saipan VS Ranger and Kaga ...KNowing Kaga strike  force and Saipan AS this is the ultimate Combo ..i asked Teh saipan to escort my TB with my fighters to counter Kaga fighter ,my kaga fighter can Keep the Ranger fighter busy  ..and we both can snipe both cv's with no effort .....he refused wanting to spot DD's  so unable to snipe my fighter was task to interset Ranger strike i go them  ..Saipan one fighter Sq was in the centre of the map GOd knows why Spotted the Kaga  in the open my TB was ready and close so i ask ed him  to  help me again using F3 keys to get his attention to the Kaga and my TB ..the enemy kaga responded sending his fighter  Saipan did nothing even after repeated attempts  to get his attention ...i lost both sq ..My fighter was reloading at that time  after dealing with Ranger Fighter.then long story short i lost my ship do to flanking cruiser and he got 49 planes yet the enemy Kaga  got 4 ship top XP including 20 plus planes and the ranger got 2 kills including 20 plus planes ,..we lost the match and the Saipan had the Cheek to Brag about how many planes he shot down ..I checked out his Stats  and turns out he had 70% WR But only  20 battles with that Saipan..max plane kills  was 88 I have 113 .

 

imo playing CV isn't just about about kills. A lot of wins in my CV was because I tried hard to keep my teams survived buy countering enemy attack planes and spotting torpedoes. For example, when you provide fighter escorts to your DDs contesting caps and even spotting enemy radar cruisers before your DDs commit into cap greatly increased their survival. It's also important to run recon for your DDs hiding in smoke so they can maneuver incoming torps. This is very important, when you are facing a competent CV players cause they can delete your ships without air cover.

 

Your stats may be disappointing in those matches but it's more important that your team wins. A lot of time your team may not even realize what you did for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,066 posts
1,816 battles
On 2/10/2018 at 7:54 AM, DQCraze said:

Probably the worst case scenario, Ranger vs AA Saipan with a lvl 19 capt in a 5-7 match.  Ranger planes just get melted even when i do everything correctly there is little to no chance.  Is this really how the devs intended the Saipan to be.  May as well put a GK in a tier 5 match. It is so completely lopsided its not even funny, and i would love to see two of the best CV capts in the game go heads up with both commanders maxed out and equal skill level just to get an idea of how to control this situation.  Devs feel free to chime in.

I can give you worse than this. Just played a match that was Ranger and Hiryu VS Full AA specked Saipan and AA specked Kaga. We somehow won but not before our CV lost almost all of there planes. OP to answer your question though it's because the Saipan is a premium ship and she still has most of her stats from when she was a tier 6 CV. They had to give her something to make her special and usable by people who have never touched a CV before so they gave her really good planes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,216 posts
4,051 battles
14 hours ago, Nachoo31 said:

I hate having to depend on strafing.  That why I hardly play the Saipan.  You mess up one strafe you are screwed.  Also, I don't like running torpedoes, so getting the win is hard to do since you depend on the team to put out the dps.

Saipan has always loved and died by her strafing. All free exit strafing did was allow you to not loose a squadron just because you got locked up. Without throwing away you ability to contest the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
27 posts
1,112 battles
22 hours ago, StoneRhino said:

Saipan has always loved and died by her strafing. All free exit strafing did was allow you to not loose a squadron just because you got locked up. Without throwing away you ability to contest the air.

A free out for your fighters however is far more powerful than your sentence makes it seem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,216 posts
4,051 battles
8 hours ago, crazyquest said:

A free out for your fighters however is far more powerful than your sentence makes it seem.

Not really if you strafed well and could manage your squadrons to begin with.  Those that could not did suddenly become powerhouses because of it. 

The same counters to Saipan still work because it only eliminated the lamest ways to kill Saipan fighters lock and strafe you own squadron too and bog them down until they ran out of ammo. And the second one still works if you can catch them after a few strafes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14
[OILFA]
Members
123 posts
10,246 battles
On 2/12/2018 at 8:11 PM, SoftAndCute said:

 

imo playing CV isn't just about about kills. A lot of wins in my CV was because I tried hard to keep my teams survived buy countering enemy attack planes and spotting torpedoes. For example, when you provide fighter escorts to your DDs contesting caps and even spotting enemy radar cruisers before your DDs commit into cap greatly increased their survival. It's also important to run recon for your DDs hiding in smoke so they can maneuver incoming torps. This is very important, when you are facing a competent CV players cause they can delete your ships without air cover.

 

Your stats may be disappointing in those matches but it's more important that your team wins. A lot of time your team may not even realize what you did for them.

Normally yes kill the dd'd is a best option But with a double cv you will not get the chance  ..especially  with a Kaga on the enemy team ..he can can end two cruisers in one wave "2squads" if he is really good >>removing the Kaga and ranger "that has a very dangerous strike"from the game as soon as possible it is a much better strat in a double cv>>my Kaga can end the enemy Kaga no problem ..Saipan can end the ranger no problem.in this game the dd did minimal damage the CV's dominated because both are Strike heavy ships ..i did mention the Kaga got 4 kills and the ranger did 2 ^ ships with only the CV in less then 15 min >>the Kaga and ranger was not even that experienced  ...If in a Kaga and i get a ranger in the game i Snipe immediately because it is easy and then my team dominates ..My Firstblood kill is 90% ranger .....Saipan player thing they can kill planes and win .Kaga has torp planes for days but if a saipan truly wants to win he need to focus on the Kaga fighter ..with out those he Kaga cant do crap >it has 28 fighter total 14 dice bombers and 43 Torp bombers those fighters have Half teh DPS of the saipan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×