You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wildcat18

Commander skills

15 comments in this topic

Members
218 posts

What is the best approach as far as getting the skills? Do you keep going down the rows and wait till you get 3 points for the third row skills or grab another 1 point skill that will also help the ship? Or are the third and fourth row skills more valuable to the ship where its worth waiting to get the 3 or 4 points for those skills?

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
11,041 battles

Not all commander skills are useful for each ship. I typically use the first 10points to get the recommended 1,2,3,&4 point skills for the ship the commander is in. 

The wiki is a great resource as each ship has a commander skill grid that rates each skill on a 0-3 star system based on its usefulness to tht ship. 

[PVE]
Members
9,910 posts
7,492 battles
46 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

What is the best approach as far as getting the skills? Do you keep going down the rows and wait till you get 3 points for the third row skills or grab another 1 point skill that will also help the ship? Or are the third and fourth row skills more valuable to the ship where its worth waiting to get the 3 or 4 points for those skills?

The first time through, you have to get one of each level to unlock the next. So you have to spend a point to unlock the 2pt row. You have to use 2pts on a 2pt skill, to unlock the third row, etc. Once you have unlocked a row, you can spend in all the rows you have unlocked as you like. So you need 10pts to unlock all for rows. Here is the wiki on the commanders.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

You can earn 10 pt commanders for specific nations with a 4 star win in Operations, so a good way to get higher cmdrs.

I would recommend having at least a 6 pt cmdr for T5 and at least a 10pt cmdr for T7. Having a 14pt cmdr for T8+ is very helpful.

Certain skills work better for certain ships than others.  CVs mostly use skills just for CVs

1pt skills - Priority Target (PT) is pretty much the first skill you need for DDs & CL/CAs. I usually go PM for BBs, but PT is great as well.

2pt skills - Last stand (LS) is pretty much the first 2pt skill you need for DDs. Expert Marksman (EM) is good for CL/CA/BBs with slow turning turrets.

3pt skills - things get a lot more varied with the skills to take depending on the ship you have the captain on.

4pt skills - Concealment Expert (CE) is highly popular with everything but CVs. CVs take Air Superiority (AS) for an extra fighter and DB. Inertia Fuse for HE (IFHE) is a great for guns that are 155mm and smaller. Fire Prevention (FP) is good for BBs as a lot of CLs spam HE.

[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

Depends on ship type and where you're lacking.

Typically, for cruisers and Battlewagonz, my first 10 points are :  1 Priority Target, + 2 Expert Marskaman or Last Stand, + 3 Basic Fire Training or demolition Expert (ca/cl more than BB) , +4 advanced firing training. 

That gets me to max AA or secondary range, plus best turret traverse and/or fire damage, and overall best fire rate or defense.

[PVE]
Members
9,910 posts
7,492 battles

Ok, didn't want a wall of text.

So, you certainly can ask people here for suggestions on captain builds for certain ships. You will get a variety of opinions. The following calculator makes it easy to plan captain builds and some will link their suggestions to that website. There are recommended builds on that site as well, but I like asking people why they choose what they choose as then I can fit that to my playstyle. YMMV.

http://shipcomrade.com/skillcalc

Captains can only be trained on one ship at a time. So if you move your Phoenix captain to the Omaha, then you will have to retrain the captain for the Omaha. If you move that captain from the Omaha back to the Phoenix, you have to retrain the captain for the Phoenix and he loses his Omaha training. The wiki details the XP needed to retrain per skill point that the captain has. Premiums are different. Say you get a Marblehead in a supercontainer (she is an Omaha premium). Say you have a 5pt cmdr for the Phoenix, so it would cost 5k XP to retrain the captain for Omaha. Skills with numerical components would work at half level and some will not work at all while the captain is retraining on the Omaha. The Marblehead is a premium, so you can put your retraining Omaha cmdr into the Marblehead (no retraining required) and the skills work full power. This is usually why people want to have a premium ship.

Don't do what I did and leave captains on ships and not move them if you keep ships. Take your highest captain and move him to the next ship in the line until you have him on a ship that you plan on as a keeper. If you have a particular ship you want the captain to get to, then plan on spending points as you go up the line to spec for that ship. If you have any premium ships, move those captains to the tech tree ships and move a captain into the premium when you want to play him.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles

I think most will agree that the 4 point skills are the most valuable so it usually worth it to sit on those unused points. I would strongly encourage you to use youtube and search ships and how to spec your captain, changing captains skill is a pain and it's costly.

there are many on YouTube that provide this information but Flamu usually covers them in detail rather than just glossing over them to get to game highlights. Some don't like Flamu but it's a great place to start and while you may eventually change your mind on skills using his guides won't do you wrong.

[WSU]
Members
1,494 posts
9,939 battles

For me, Concealment is one of the most important skills so I almost always (German BBs the exception) get that as my first 4th row skill and unless you have plenty of gold and are willing to pay to reset your captain skills I would hold my points until I get 3 for row 3 and then 4 more for row 4.

[PSP]
Members
6,346 posts
8,968 battles
2 hours ago, wildcat18 said:

Which skills you pick is highly dependent on the ship you play. Are you playing an American DD? Well, the first skill you probably want is Priority Target so you can know when someone is shooting at you. After this, you want to get to Concealment Expert as fast as you can. At level two, Adrenaline Rush is a good one to have. At level 3, I go with Torpedo Armament Expertise, at level 4 Concealment expert. That's your basic ten-point captain. You can flesh the skills out depending on how you play and what you need.

[DUDE_]
Members
2,604 posts
12,503 battles

If you play destroyer you must take the two point skill Last Stand, It's probably the only must have set in stone skill there is for any line.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,577 battles

Generally the more points a skill costs the more useful it is,however   It does depend on what line BB DD CA or CV and what is useful plus your style of play and what works, for instance incoming fire alert absolutely want it on my Cruiser but don’t put it on my BB nor DD

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,878 posts
11,603 battles

With a few rare exceptions I never get two skills of the same teir (row) until after getting my first t4 skill. After getting a t4 skill then I go back and double up on some rows. I use this calculator to plan my builds out ahead of time.

• Cool 2