You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_NewZealand

So the French BBs (so far)...

21 comments in this topic

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

... are kinda really meh. I have Bretagne, Normandie and Lyon, and about the only thing that stands out about the latter two is the exceedingly underwhelming damage, and the enormous lateral dispersion. They've got clunky handling, unimpressive armor, poor AA, silly gun arcs - there's not a lot positive to say about these puppies. It really doesn't matter if the Lyon is chucking 16 shells when you can't hit with more than about a quarter of them from any range outside 5km (no, this is not an exaggeration - the dispersion is just goofy). 

Now yes, I am aware that Alsace is supposedly the 'prize' boat in the line, but nothing of what I've seen gives me any desire to press on. Bring us the Italians so that I might purge the foul taste of these stale French baguettes from my discerning palette!

Edited by Cruiser_Fiume
  • Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
4,520 posts
11,433 battles

I understand that the dispersion of the Lyon's guns is similar to that of buckshot fired from one of those Bugs Bunny cartoon shotguns with the fully looking trumpet flare on the barrel.

• Cool 2

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,715 battles

The Bretagne is such a chore to play. I either overpen everything or shatter everything, or a combo of the two. AFK broadside Nurnberg at 13km? It took me 4 salvoes to finish him because I didn't get one single penetration. And he had 8k hp! My cruisers don't work like that. 

The Normandie was less effort but still not in the slightest bit fun. That might be due to having it on Asia server where skill level is non existent and teamsall diein under 10 minutes. 

I have zero desire to grind this line. Zero. The Hood really taught me what I like in a ship and that is reliable guns. That's why my Hood gathers dust until they fix it.

Edited by NotoriousRNG
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
2,746 posts
6,226 battles

You guys are playing the French ships? I don't see them in my Tech tree yet. Premiums I'm guessing

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,640 posts
8,009 battles

I've watched Flamu's replay and so far I'm not that hyped, except probably for the T10. I was really hoping the T9 to be great with 3x4 gun but yeah, dispersion seems crap and 380mm guns at T9 with THIS dispersion isn't that great.

I'm waiting for his commentary on Richelieu but I think that's it. Lyon seems to be a Gangut with 4 more guns, crap dispersion and less armored and Bretagne seems to be a New York. 

France seems to be a decent BB with good dispersion ( well with only 8 gun she should have the same accuracy as Yamato) and quick reload. The only thing that kinda trigger me is the poor armor French BB has. In a meta where every ship will spam HE at you, even Yamato, having "only" 32mm armor and secondaries and AA that get destroyed after 1 salvo is pretty annoying. Montana has stealth and some armor to mitigate that, Kurfust has immunity to citadel, Yamato has lolpen gun, Conqueror has super HE stealth and super heal heal to compensate for the lack of armor, France has..... nothing.  Yeah sure she has a quick reload but I'm not sure it's well balanced for all weaknesses she has.

I guess we'll just wait and see, maybe WG will make some last min change like they did with German DD lul 

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
12 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

You guys are playing the French ships? I don't see them in my Tech tree yet. Premiums I'm guessing

Stuff from the crates. Bad stuff. Some guy in a trench coat asked me if I wanted to buy an early access boat and I was foolishly like "awww, gee willikers, mister! I was wandering these dark alleyways looking to buy drugs, but that sounds even more painful! Sign me up!"

• Funny 2

Members
1,116 posts
6,669 battles
52 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

they are getting missions from the french crates that let them unlock some of the french BBs.

as for the french BBs.  i haven't seen anything out of them worth really going for.  The lyon?  with 16 guns might be fun.  The France at tier 10 is meh. the guns overall for every BB i have seen so far seem very inconsistent, even for a BB.

tbh, idk what the line is trying to be.  just your standard BB line?  the speed boosts seem a little meh.  maybe if they all had faster firing guns combined with that, then you could say speed is their thing.  idk, i want to know more before i writ them off. on the other hand. The RN BB line is worth going up.  Great stealth, good AP, face roll HE, and great heals at the high tiers.  I usually play the line when i don't even feel like paying attention.  just sail around face rolling my KB for kills and damage.  in terms of overall gameplay, the RN BB was probably the worst line they added. The ships themselves are good, what they do to the game is not.

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
1 minute ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

they are getting missions from the french crates that let them unlock some of the french BBs.

as for the french BBs.  i haven't seen anything out of them worth really going for.  The lyon?  with 16 guns might be fun.  The France at tier 10 is meh. the guns overall for every BB i have seen so far seem very inconsistent, even for a BB.

tbh, idk what the line is trying to be.  just your standard BB line?  the speed boosts seem a little meh.  maybe if they all had faster firing guns combined with that, then you could say speed is their thing.  idk, i want to know more before i writ them off. on the other hand. The RN BB line is worth going up.  Great stealth, good AP, face roll HE, and great heals at the high tiers.  I usually play the line when i don't even feel like paying attention.  just sail around face rolling my KB for kills and damage.  in terms of overall gameplay, the RN BB was probably the worst line they added. The ships themselves are good, what they do to the game is not.

Standard? No. It's like everyone else has a schtick, and the French showed up after they had all been handed out, so they get nothing. This is not a jack of all trades, it is a jack of no trades. So... yeah. No trading shall be taking place.

Members
1,116 posts
6,669 battles
1 minute ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

Standard? No. It's like everyone else has a schtick, and the French showed up after they had all been handed out, so they get nothing. This is not a jack of all trades, it is a jack of no trades. So... yeah. No trading shall be taking place.

by standard i meant nothing special.  just an average BB with no gimmicks.  but yea, the are running out of gimmicks.  i can see the russians having radar.  i can see another line having DF.

tbh, i would be happy if they were just good BBs without needing gimmicks to make them decent.  BBs where skill matters both in shooting and on defense.  Where if you aim properly, you are rewarded, and if you go around giving broadside to everyone and their mother, you die quickly.  Tired of seeing BBs not even angling, and the most damage they will take in a volley will be 15k or so.(yes, you can do higher if you aim well and  you are lucky)  in a US or IJN BB, you get smashed most of the time for doing it. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,536 posts
13,977 battles

I got Tier V Bretagne mission from one of my French Container x3 rewards yesterday.  Played enough to complete it and got the ship.  It's a very, very meh bote in a difficult tier full of very, very meh Battleships that MM likes to trounce.  A Nagato quickly gave me a "Welcome to WoWS, Frenchie!" with a couple 410mm Type 91 citadel hits.

How best to describe Bretagne?  She's a mixture of existing Tier V BBs.

Slow USN BB 21kt speed.

Pretty kewl Secondary Battery that reaches as far as Konig.  Lots of guns.  IMO the best thing about the ship.

Can't hit a DD like Aigle with Main Batteries even if it's as close as Secondaries Range

New York levels of staying power :Smile_teethhappy:

New York 60 second turret traverse

10 guns like Konig, but larger caliber, 305mm vs 340mm

Useless Tier V BB AA (Texas the only exception)

Eats damage galore and sets on fire from any passing shell in the map.

Ncef8zN.gif

My first match with her I had 4 fires set on me, that was the first time I've had 4 fires raging on any of my ships for many months, and it happens on the first match with this ship.

Bretagne quickly reminded me why I don't like playing Tier V Battleships not named Caesar.  She has nothing to dictate anything in her favor.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
4,131 posts
44 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

New York 60 second turret traverse

I put expert marksman on my BBs for this, and even with that, the British BBs are the worst at turret traverse.  So the French ships should be faster, good to know.  My biggest problem with British BBs, slow as **** turrets.

With EM, NY is about 48 seconds for 180 degrees, while Iron Duke is 56 seconds.

Edited by Wowzery

Members
2,746 posts
6,226 battles
3 hours ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

Oh ok. Man just when you think you're on top of everything. 

[REVY]
Members
6,009 posts
5,102 battles

Oh, if French Battleships already in the game, I guess it’s too late to buff the Richelieu.

Beta Testers
47 posts
2,279 battles

I got Bretagne out of the crates and played her, and instantly regretted it. I will agree with those posting above me that she is incredibly, superbly meh meh meh.

I haven't been as frustrated playing a battleship ever before as I have playing Bretagne. She makes German BBs look like efficient snipers with laser accuracy. I was set on fire so often that I am forced to assume Bretagne's galley is above deck and she requires to be ablaze to bake croissants and heat up the coffee.

Slow, impossibly frustrating dispersion, bad tier for a BB to be in unless you are the glorious Ceasare, stupidly easy to light on fire, and to add insult to injury, the horn does not go "Hon hon hon!" as expected.

2/10, would not baguette again.

[YOHB]
Members
250 posts
10,161 battles

The Lyon ...., she's squishy.. high detection range and short gun range. But it's a fair trade-off for 16 guns.

Unlocked it yesterday and I'm a terrible BB player but.. after 32 games in it.

91K average damage

57 ships destroyed

4.4 KD

29% hit rate (buckshot worthy)

needs nerfs IMHO

• Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
707 posts
5,158 battles

The Alsace on the Test server was a positive joy to play and unless they have beaten with the nerf bat before release it will be the best T9 BB.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
6 hours ago, NotoriousRNG said:

The Bretagne is such a chore to play. I either overpen everything or shatter everything, or a combo of the two. AFK broadside Nurnberg at 13km? It took me 4 salvoes to finish him because I didn't get one single penetration. And he had 8k hp! My cruisers don't work like that. 

The Normandie was less effort but still not in the slightest bit fun. That might be due to having it on Asia server where skill level is non existent and teamsall diein under 10 minutes. 

I have zero desire to grind this line. Zero. The Hood really taught me what I like in a ship and that is reliable guns. That's why my Hood gathers dust until they fix it.

The Hood REALLY pisses me off. I want to like it but I just cant. 4x double turrets with HORRIBLE convergence, terrible dispersion and ballistic properties worse than those of the tier 6. I cant tell you how many times I fired at a broadside New Mex at 7-9km and either completely miss, dont pen or shatter!?! How ... do you shatter ... on a broadside BB ... at 7-9km .... HOW?!?

It takes a lot of patience to make this ship work, and even more patience to tolerate the god awful RNG this ship suffers from. No wonder Bismarck beat the living sh*t out of it in 1942.

Members
1,491 posts
7,336 battles

Yeah I only have the Bretagne but it honestly doesn't do anything well.  Its like the USN standards only worse In almost everyway.  Worse belt armor, no torp blister, worse AA, worse damage, very low HP, slower, Less HP repaired per second than everyone else despite feeling like a tier 4 bb at tier 5.

It's a nice looking ship but honestly, this thing is going to need buffs imo.  Also why is the belt armor only 250 max when online everywhere it says they had 270?

Edited by Hangoverhomey

[RO-I]
Members
4 posts
4,216 battles

Atleast be happy that you all got free ships. They can always buff them later if the performance is not good or average across its tier.

i have opened all the 12 containers of the first part and haven't gotten any ship. 

So yeah... cheers mate :(

• Bad 1

Members
1,116 posts
6,669 battles
1 hour ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Oh ok. Man just when you think you're on top of everything. 

i think the % is pretty small, but if you get lucky, good for you.  you just saved some time grinding in the future.(plus credits).   i will take the free BBs if i get them but as of right now, i dont have any interest in grinding them.