You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mrpoutypants

Are people okay with this AI?

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
23 posts
2,054 battles

(I got back into this more than a year, started in closed beta. I only play co-op because I dont have the time to grind daily wins in Random)

The Destroyer and Cruiser AI in co-op takes XP and credits out of your pocket. If they are not straight suiciding then every game it is cheap point-blank torp kills. Was there some massive need for the AI to be doing this, aside from the incredibly poor implementation? The only times I have ever lost a co-op game is because of human players, not lack of AI's previous middling contributions.

It's a real slap in the face to grind out the new low-tier Battleships 300xp at a time because by the time you can get in the mix, most everything is dead.

Members
8,086 posts
17,047 battles

Normally I run CVs in Co-op; fly out and murder the (mostly) unresponsive first wavebot DDs, and after that my allies, (bot or real people,) generally do pretty good.

When I run battleships, I'll chase after the destroyers with HE loaded, and try to do the same. (At the same time, I have no issue fighting any Red/Bot destroyers that get by; but then I've been playing since Sept. '15.)

That's about all you can really do; run after and support the destroyers, (players or allied bots,) and be ready to fight and kill any thay get by.. After that it's a pretty normal game.

The AI Bots (allies or Reds,) are both smarter and dumber than you think. It's not always as simple as you said. Sometime all your allies die, (again; players or bots,) and it's 3-4 greens versus 6-8 Reds...

...those are generally the most tense games, and the games where I curse out WG and the moronic AI the most; but also the games where I have the most fun, especially when I win.

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,763 battles

Lol, careful. You'll hurt the co-op players feelings if you tell them their mode is easy. They don't like reality.

• Funny 2

[PVE]
Members
9,013 posts
7,315 battles
7 hours ago, mrpoutypants said:

(I got back into this more than a year, started in closed beta. I only play co-op because I dont have the time to grind daily wins in Random)

The Destroyer and Cruiser AI in co-op takes XP and credits out of your pocket. If they are not straight suiciding then every game it is cheap point-blank torp kills. Was there some massive need for the AI to be doing this, aside from the incredibly poor implementation? The only times I have ever lost a co-op game is because of human players, not lack of AI's previous middling contributions.

It's a real slap in the face to grind out the new low-tier Battleships 300xp at a time because by the time you can get in the mix, most everything is dead.

What seems simple for a child, getting up and walking across the room without running into the furniture, is decidedly hard for a computer.

The XP in PvE is low as the mode is easier than PvP. As a PvE main, I think the XP and credit earnings are about right to encourage premium time. If you want better earnings, PvP is the way to go, if you like that meta, as you can get as much from a PvP loss as a PvE win.

3 hours ago, Pulicat said:

Lol, careful. You'll hurt the co-op players feelings if you tell them their mode is easy. They don't like reality.

Nah, PvE is easier than PvP and anyone who tells you that they are close to the same is a troll. PvE is easy at the lower levels and the bots get more and more accurate and work together more at the higher tiers, so higher tier is harder (for PvE), but no where near as hard as PvP. The difference is bots vs people. Trying to balance the bots to not be too hard, but not too easy is tricky, especially since there is a wide variation of skill levels amongst players. I don't think that the bots in OPs are that much different than PvE, except there is more scripting of movements in OPs.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,684 posts
7,503 battles
8 hours ago, mrpoutypants said:

You don’t personally grind out wins in Random all that often, your team does, how much you can contribute is another matter, you can be the best player and loose or the worst player and win a Random battle,

you do realize that a Win in Co-op often produces less XP than a loss in Random

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
8 hours ago, mrpoutypants said:

The AI is strictly YOLO. Slow battleships only get to mop up. You get what you play for. Might I suggest Random battles?

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
5 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

You don’t personally grind out wins in Random all that often, your team does, how much you can contribute is another matter, you can be the best player and loose or the worst player and win a Random battle,

you do realize that a Win in Co-op often produces less XP than a loss in Random

We lost. I got 95k damage, sunk 3. I got good XP though. It went the full 20mins.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I think many of you are missing the poster's point. I believe he's saying that by having bots on the green team, bots are soaking up kills that would have previously gone to players, thus reducing rewards even further than intended.

[PVE]
Members
9,013 posts
7,315 battles
17 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I think many of you are missing the poster's point. I believe he's saying that by having bots on the green team, bots are soaking up kills that would have previously gone to players, thus reducing rewards even further than intended.

Usually, unless you help the green bots out, the red bots tend to win those green bot vs red bot battles just a little more.

@mrpoutypants, you could play Operations as then it is all humans vs bots.