Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Need a Dreadnaught

15 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

I need to complete Science of Victory, Mission 3, Task 8 (Dreadnaught) and Task 9 (destroy 2 main guns).  To complete these tasks, I need to drive a BB.  I play destroyers and cruisers.  I only have 2 BBs in the barn, the Wyoming and the New York.

Which one should I play in order to complete these tasks?  Any suggestions as to videos I should watch?

[JFSOC]
Members
909 posts
2,588 battles

I'd use Wyoming and drive it in to about 6 to 7 km from targets.  But, you need to load it to the max with damage control and repair parties, signals to minimize fire, flooding, etc.  New York is better at longer ranges but you are unlikely to get gun kills.  Wyoming played well at mid range will really mess up most of the stuff it's fighting.  That'd be my suggestion.

If you prefer longer ranged fighting use New York maxed out the same way.

[TF16B]
Members
8,051 posts
16,991 battles

If Wyoming is a high enough tier, go with that. Protected MM means all you'll have to face CV wise is Langley and Hosho; and unless divisions are involved, then the highest tier of other ships you should face are tier 4.

Wyoming has two more main guns; more secondaries; and if used well is a bit tougher than New York.

Just watch out for the torpies, and protect your broadside like you always would.

[HINON]
Members
8,804 posts
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

then the highest tier of other ships you should face are tier 4.

T4 can still see T5. Otherwise, I concur with that advice.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

I feel so bad for Wyomings.  All those guns, can't hit the broadside of a barn with a sawn off shotgun if they were standing right beside one.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
2 hours ago, AMajor said:

Which one should I play in order to complete these tasks?

Does the task specify the BB needs to be of a certain tier (because I thought it did and it was a higher tier).

[JFSOC]
Members
909 posts
2,588 battles
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I feel so bad for Wyomings.  All those guns, can't hit the broadside of a barn with a sawn off shotgun if they were standing right beside one.

It's accurate enough at mid to close range.  It simply lacks the ability to really hit stuff at long range.  That's why you have to push forward with it.  At closer ranges it having more tubes to bear means it usually gives better than it gets.

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

Funny thing is happening as I'm trying to get my dreadnaught.  I'm pushing ahead in a Wyoming stuffed with damage control like you guys suggested.  I WANT to get shot at (remember, you need 4 ships to hit you).  Turns out that my team's dds and cruisers get emboldened by seeing this big, slow BB charging ahead (they must be used to BBs hanging back) that they get in front of me and start pounding away themselves.  They're driving the red team back before I can get under 10 km.  It's good in that the teams that I'm on are winning.......but I have yet to get this danged medal!

D-OH.jpg

1,542 posts
26 battles
On 11/02/2018 at 1:50 AM, AMajor said:

Funny thing is happening as I'm trying to get my dreadnaught.  I'm pushing ahead in a Wyoming stuffed with damage control like you guys suggested.  I WANT to get shot at (remember, you need 4 ships to hit you).  Turns out that my team's dds and cruisers get emboldened by seeing this big, slow BB charging ahead (they must be used to BBs hanging back) that they get in front of me and start pounding away themselves.  They're driving the red team back before I can get under 10 km.  It's good in that the teams that I'm on are winning.......but I have yet to get this danged medal!

D-OH.jpg

Haha just your luck that when you WANT to get shot you have a great team to back you up! 

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

Thank you all very much for your help with this task.  Attached is the result tonight.  Although I don't think that I'll be joining you all as BB drivers very often, I have generated a healthy respect for this big girl called Wyoming.

See my name in a dd....be afraid, see my name in a cruiser, be cautious, see my name on a BB..stop laughing.

Seriously, thanks much.

Capture.JPG

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

In case anyone wants to have some entertainment, here is the battle that finally got me my dreadnaught. At least I think it's the replay (not sure why it says Arkansas).  Let me know one wy of the other.

20180213_010023_PASB004-Arkansas-1912_05_Ring.wowsreplay

[P_T_P]
Members
18 posts
5,002 battles

I'm trying to get another dreadnought in my NC for the Tier 8 campaign, and while during ranked I was farming dreadnoughts once or twice a night, I now haven't had one in over a week...

Members
842 posts

Also, FYI, because it's not made clear anywhere:

YOU CAN REPEAT TASKS FOR STARS.

That is, once you've completed a specific task, you get both stars and a reward. You can complete that task again, and you'll be given stars, but not the reward.

So don't feel like you have to complete all the different tasks only once, to move on to the next phase.  This becomes important the further you go in most of them, because many of the tasks require ships you might not have, or for which are VERY difficult to get.  For example, there's a task somewhere near the end that requires you to get 2 Clear Skies awards. If you have a CV, that's not hard. If you DON'T have a CV, then it's virtually impossible. 

Of course, as you gain experience, going back and getting the tasks you passed up is a good idea, because, hey, REWARD!  But the immediate goal is to complete the entire campaign, and repeating tasks is absolutely something you should be doing.

Sign in to follow this