Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Best 2-ship division combos

8 comments in this topic

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

I am looking for ideas for best 2-ship division compositions.  I play with good friend of mine, we have solid T10 selection, and most premium ships (including Kaga and Saipan).  When it comes to T10 he prefers Hindenburg and Montana, while I favor Yamato and Conqueror.  We can also throw Zao, Moskva, Des Moines into the mix if need be.  We have T10 DDs but we prefer to play on other classes.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,891 posts
13,427 battles

Depends what you want to do,  for a mutually supportive combo I wouldn't go with two BBs as they don't compliment each others strengths/weaknesses.

I've seen a Des Moines / Yueyang  div that worked extremely well, same with a Radar Mino / Gearing combo.  Bit harder with the smoke changes but still quite workable

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,343 battles

if you have a Hindenburg and a Conqueror   you have a victory....  also 2 Hindenburgs will do some serious damage... and if one is AAA spec;d  you never have to worry about carriers together....

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,012 posts
7,686 battles

Huanghe + Huanghe

• Funny 1

[STW]
Members
96 posts
9,372 battles
3 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

I am looking for ideas for best 2-ship division compositions. 

All things being equal:

A duo is not a self-contained unit in WoWs, and with few exceptions, can be overrun as if it were a pair of undivisioned, uncoordinated solo players.

A balanced trio, however, is a self-sufficient unit, and fully capable of fending off a force twice its size.

You might want to consider finding a 3rd member for your division.  MM will generally try to match a red division to counter your own, and a coordinated 3-member division is far more powerful than a 2-member division.  So if you insist on going with only a duo, know that you are leaving yourself (and your team) open to being countered by an inherently more powerful 3-member red division.

3 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

I play with good friend of mine, we have solid T10 selection, and most premium ships (including Kaga and Saipan).  When it comes to T10 he prefers Hindenburg and Montana, while I favor Yamato and Conqueror.  We can also throw Zao, Moskva, Des Moines into the mix if need be.  We have T10 DDs but we prefer to play on other classes.

If you insist on the duo, a spotter+support-vessel is the most powerful tandem. 

- The spotter can be either a DD or a CV. 

- The support-vessel can be anything from a pseudo-cruiser like the Khabarovsk to a fast-firing BB like the Scharnhorst.  Of course, the optimal fire support is a DD-killer like the Atlanta or Minotaur, ships capable of getting to the fight fast and first, then unloading vision consumables and high-burst damage on the red team's Spotters (Radar and Hydro against DDs, DFAA and MAA against planes).

At T7, Saipan+Belfast is unquestionably the most powerful duo available.  To emphasize, the spotting vessel (CV, Saipan) receives the primary consideration in deciding the supporting vessel (CL, Belfast).

By now, you should realize that your proposed mix of T10 CA+BB division is fatally flawed.  Your division will be crippled if it can't spot targets independently.  If you're limited to a duo, Battleships are the one class you could (and should) probably do without. Games often swing drastically in the opening moves, resulting in a cascading effect that - in hindsight - becomes decisive.  If you want to maximize your chances of winning with only a two-member division, you should target this opening window of opportunity for maximum effect.  A DM+Moskva tandem might fulfill this role, but you are still leaving yourself vulnerable to long stretches without persistent spotting.  Z52+Moskva is simply a superior duo.  Even Khabarovsk+Moskva would be better.

Bottom line: you need a DD* or CV** player in every division if your objective is to win (and winning is the most "fun" IMO).  So if you don't like playing DDs at T10, my advice would be to find someone who does.  If you had a three-member division, you could not only target the opening window, but independently use follow up strategies too.  You could add a Battleship to your destroyer-cruiser tandem - creating a fully self-contained unit - allowing your division to maintain a flank, providing sustainability in delaying actions,  deterrence in holding a position, and an alpha-strike for taking positions.  Even better, in the case of a 3-member division with a CV, a lot of imaginative combinations/builds can be considered.  A Hakuryu+Moskva+Hindenburg is truly frightening.

*A DDs role is to spot (which results in contests with red DDs) and to cap.  Damage takes a backseat consideration - way in the back.

**A CV's role is to spot, period.  Damage, and even killing red planes take a backseat - way in the back.  If a CV is busy bunching up his planes in the same area of the map, or chasing the red team's planes to the border of the map, he is a sub-standard player who does not understand his role.

In both cases, Damage and Kills are simply the result of playing the class' primary role: spotting and capping.  Competent players focus on the latter which results in the former - never vice-versa.

Edited by Jerych
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this