Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

Is the "C" hull the way to go on Omaha?

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

92
[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I just researched the c hull on the Omaha...is the upgrade in aa defense worth the -2 turrets and torps?  I want to be an aa cruiser captain as I get to higher tiers, but is this too early to down gun in the line?  There's always the chance that I'm not even understanding what I'm asking as well...derp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,274
[HINON]
Members
8,809 posts

I think it also ups the main battery range which is worth it because of how often it gets uptiered .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
575
[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
1 minute ago, BullpupWOT said:

I just researched the c hull on the Omaha...is the upgrade in aa defense worth the -2 turrets and torps?  I want to be an aa cruiser captain as I get to higher tiers, but is this too early to down gun in the line?  There's always the chance that I'm not even understanding what I'm asking as well...derp. 

Grind past it as quickly as possible and get the Cleveland, then sell the Omaha. Useless ship.

Omaha is a bad ship regardless which hull you use, C hull AA isnt enough to bring down tier 5-6 planes and B hull torps are too short ranged to be useful for anything.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,581
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles

Worth it?  No.

 

Don't spend the extra XPs on a bad ship.  Save the XPs to get to Cleveland sooner than spend any more time on a bad ship in a bad tier that frequently gets shafted by MM.  Cleveland in Tier VI gets shafted by MM also, but at least she's a solid, good ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I think it also ups the main battery range which is worth it because of how often it gets uptiered .

Oh...the little window doesn't show that. I've been getting up tiered a lot. I've been putting the +5% range signal flag on it. Thanks for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,274
[HINON]
Members
8,809 posts
Just now, BullpupWOT said:

Oh...the little window doesn't show that. I've been getting up tiered a lot. I've been putting the +5% range signal flag on it. Thanks for the info. 

That only ups the secondary range. Save those for battleships with great secondaries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Worth it?  No.

 

Don't spend the extra XPs on a bad ship.  Save the XPs to get to Cleveland sooner than spend any more time on a bad ship in a bad tier that frequently gets shafted by MM.  Cleveland in Tier VI gets shafted by MM also, but at least she's a solid, good ship.

I think I have to go through that hull to unlock the Cleveland...am I wrong?  I really don't understand everything about the UI yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
Just now, RipNuN2 said:

That only ups the secondary range. Save those for battleships with great secondaries. 

Oh...misread then. My brain isn't jiving with the port UIs because I'm so used to console tanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
212
[VFW]
Members
900 posts
20,646 battles
12 minutes ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

That is not true. Omaha is excellent for-tier.

At tier...sure, kind of...but is not good up-tiered even if in a T6 game.   Use to be good, but power creep has left it with the dinosaurs...

vr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,581
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles
11 minutes ago, TexJapan said:

At tier...sure, kind of...but is not good up-tiered even if in a T6 game.   Use to be good, but power creep has left it with the dinosaurs...

vr

The BFT / AFT Nerf hit all CLs big time and Omaha was one of the worst to suffer.  The range you can achieve right now with Omaha-C used to be what we had with her before the traits' nerf.  The nerf hit, then WG introduced C Hull for us to get the old range back... But you give up firepower to do so.  Omaha-class ingame never recovered, not even Russian Bias Murmansk.

30 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I think I have to go through that hull to unlock the Cleveland...am I wrong?  I really don't understand everything about the UI yet. 

If you see a Hull Module arranged like this:

KoxuRbG.jpg

Where that C Hull is off to the side instead of straight down the line to the next ship, that means it's an optional one.  If you see the Hull in line like Hull C Iowa:

VoOMX1E.jpg

Then it's a mandatory thing to research to move on to the next ship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

I liked my Omaha I know people say it's a bad ship but I never felt out classed in it at any tier. I used the C hull for the psychological effect of not having much more of a gun boosed for showing my broadside so I'd stay bow on more. Other then that her torpedos or useful if I find myself in a brawl with a BB by accident. I think most of the hate for it comes from it being a low tier ship and people get it before they know how to play, I had a simmpler experience in the yorch I'm sure that I would have a similar one in the pepsi-cola if I get there before the split

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
325
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,681 battles
45 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I think I have to go through that hull to unlock the Cleveland...am I wrong?  I really don't understand everything about the UI yet. 

You have to research the hull, but you don't have to buy the hull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
19 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The BFT / AFT Nerf hit all CLs big time and Omaha was one of the worst to suffer.  The range you can achieve right now with Omaha-C used to be what we had with her before the traits' nerf.  The nerf hit, then WG introduced C Hull for us to get the old range back... But you give up firepower to do so.  Omaha-class ingame never recovered, not even Russian Bias Murmansk.

If you see a Hull Module arranged like this:

KoxuRbG.jpg

Where that C Hull is off to the side instead of straight down the line to the next ship, that means it's an optional one.  If you see the Hull in line like Hull C Iowa:

VoOMX1E.jpg

Then it's a mandatory thing to research to move on to the next ship.

It's mandatory then...I researched it. I'm not going to purchase it for now though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
Members
4,442 posts
6,143 battles
1 hour ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

That is not true. Omaha is excellent for-tier.

Almost the worst in her tier! Check Warships data. Odd, but she is so easily killed. Few can make her work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

Almost the worst in her tier! Check Warships data. Odd, but she is so easily killed. Few can make her work. 

Well I'm 6-3 in it by some miracle...only averaging 21,190 damage. I've been citadeled just about every match, even the two I survived. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[WFSDL]
Members
610 posts
8,273 battles

Omaha, all though she was nerfed a while back, is still a good boat. Learn to hit n run behind or just in front of the big boats.Keep moving and never stop shooting.

Yes, AA helps.

Edited by injunmick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
Members
4,442 posts
6,143 battles
1 minute ago, BullpupWOT said:

Well I'm 6-3 in it by some miracle...only averaging 21,190 damage. I've been citadeled just about every match, even the two I survived. 

Great.  Good luck! Odd ship. Great guns actually but dang she dies too easily. I had her. Sold her. Cleveland is pretty solid. But I suck overall so don't take my advice.....I can potato in any ship. Ha.  Yup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
756 posts
15,482 battles

Wow... I just pulled Omaha out of mothballs this very morning to start these silly French missions. I forgot how much fun this ship is. You can do a lot of good as long as you''re not too noticed. Be toward the back, or one of a crowd, and keep spamming HE to burn BB's, blast DD's, and cit CV's. Switch to AP to cit CA. Oh, and research the C hull for Cleveland, but keep the B hull for maximum effectiveness. Here's my Omaha: http://bit.ly/2G1a84T

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82
[-S-R-]
Members
317 posts
7,103 battles

Run away from Omaha as quickly as you can.   

 

 

Unless you’re on the red team then feel free to sail towards me at around at just about any angle.  I promise you you won’t be around long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
2,720 posts
4,314 battles

The AA is still crap after refit. Stick with B hull and additional surface armaments to get the heck outta there ASAP...and you would gain a T8 Cleveland later on too if you keep the T6 Cleveland.

...and I use carrier captain on Marblehead (basically Omaha B hull with one less torpedo set)...not much luxury in terms of choice, but better than nothing to go for elite while doing missions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,328 posts
9,390 battles

I bought the Omaha back to work on the 38.5K Ship XP to get the Dallas when it comes out.

I settled on the 'B' hull and Co-Op off the daily 50% on one mission each day.  I'm up to 20K.

Some days I forget, but it's getting done.

In Co-Op, it doesn't matter what your torpedo range is.  You get CLOSE..  like under 2KM.  That or the bots will do a river-dance in expert torpedo beats.

'C' hull is completely optional - and unnecessary...  Just let it go.  Don't waste your XP on it.   Keep the guns and torps -- and keep going to the Cleveland (for now).

Wait too long, and you'll be grinding 77K for both the Dallas and the Pensacola.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
430
[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,884 battles

The Nicholas has a similar thing, where its top hull loses a gun but you gain - iirc - HP and a rate of fire buff (which is unhelpfully not stated). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×