You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

AP or HE bomb on midway?

18 comments in this topic

[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles

If you can reliably cross drop dds with you torpedo bombers, go with the AP bombs, If not HE. Personally, I feel Damage over time is overrated, its all about Alpha strikes and big numbers.

[NG-NL]
Members
4,958 posts
8,103 battles

AP is only devastating against KMS BB and Moskva, last I heard. It will do regular pen damage to remaining BBs and cruisers.

Alpha Tester
3,330 posts
3,775 battles
1 minute ago, Reymu said:

AP is only devastating against KMS BB and Moskva, last I heard. It will do regular pen damage to remaining BBs and cruisers.

AP DB will reliably cit Henri IV, Des Moines, Amagi as well. It can sometimes cit Hindenburg, Zao, and UK BB. Doesn't always regular pen BB and cruisers, it will overpen most cruisers and sometimes regular damage USN. Usually though it will shatter on Izumo/Yamato and Montana, Iowa/NC is variable.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,658 posts
8,045 battles

Go for AP. 

From what I heard, AP DB are more accurate than HE DB but they can also nuke most BB and CA. If you struggle against DD you can always go for HE DB and play on dot damage 

[SF-3]
Beta Testers
1,616 posts
5,378 battles

As someone who won KOTS NA with the Midway, and proceeded to lose internationally...

Use HE bombs. The AP bombs are reliable yes, but the problem is crippling overspecialization with them. HE bombs will do just as much or more on average unless its a very specific target ( That probably has defensive fire.)

In a competitive mode I would use AP, in randoms. Use HE and learn to stack DoTs. You can get 100k in 4 minutes or less if you get a solo BB in your first wave and the enemy CV isnt paying attention. Learn to be effective with your TBs and use HE bombs to wipe AA off of targets before sending in the TBs.

• Cool 1

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,997 battles

This feels like listening to an alien race discuss its plans for the destruction of Earth.

No CVs no CVs no CVs... then two Midways and you just have to resign yourself to being wiped out if they want it.  Bust your butt most of the match struggling to carry then Midway comes along and says Nope, your game needs to end right now.  Please try again later.

You conspirators should have a secret forum...

• Bad 1

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,758 battles
1 hour ago, Anumati said:

As someone who won KOTS NA with the Midway, and proceeded to lose internationally...

Use HE bombs. The AP bombs are reliable yes, but the problem is crippling overspecialization with them. HE bombs will just as much or more on average unless its a very specific target ( That probably has defensive fire.)

In a competitive mode I would use AP, in randoms. Use HE and learn to stack DoTs. You can get 100k in 4 minutes or less if you get a solo BB in your first wave and the enemy CV isnt paying attention. Learn to be effective with your TBs and use HE bombs to wipe AA off of targets before sending in the TBs.

Unrelated topic but regarding WG's CV overbalancing. Does Midway have a chance against Hak with her current loadout?  

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,350 battles
1 hour ago, BullHalsey said:

This feels like listening to an alien race discuss its plans for the destruction of Earth.

No CVs no CVs no CVs... then two Midways and you just have to resign yourself to being wiped out if they want it.  Bust your butt most of the match struggling to carry then Midway comes along and says Nope, your game needs to end right now.  Please try again later.

You conspirators should have a secret forum...

You are.

It's why there are no battleships left in the real world ;) all the CV captains plotted their destruction.

[HINON]
Members
8,836 posts
2 minutes ago, megadeux said:

You are.

It's why there are no battleships left in the real world ;) all the CV captains plotted their destruction.

I would hope bullhalsey knows this since he helped usher this outcome in. :cap_haloween:

[SF-3]
Beta Testers
1,616 posts
5,378 battles
37 minutes ago, SoftAndCute said:

Unrelated topic but regarding WG's CV overbalancing. Does Midway have a chance against Hak with her current loadout?  

Midway still can easily beat a 2/3/3 Hak in the air. The nerf to its fighters didnt solve the issue of Hakuryu having no extra strike power to counter the fact that Midway has equal or better fighters still along with good strike power. 

Hakuryu is limited by its hangar. It has t10 plane HP/speed. But smaller squadrons means that AA is stronger against it. Its TBs are reliable but the HE DBs are chip damage and only used for fire. Unlike USN which does damage and cause massive amounts of fies.

The problem lies with 4/2/2 Hakuryu being able to wipe the floor with Midway and WG making this balance change because 2/3/3 loses to Midway. 

So knowing WG, what happened was some dev played Hakuryu on RU and lost to Midway and this change was pushed through quick enough.

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,997 battles
5 minutes ago, megadeux said:

You are.

Ironically of course their main function in formation became AA support for the fleet, in the top tier time period we have here.  Doesn't quite work with the free for all arcade game action though...an understatement.

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,997 battles
7 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I would hope bullhalsey knows this since he helped usher this outcome in. :cap_haloween:

Lol, I admit I did not take into consideration my nom de guerre when posting that.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,350 battles

DoT stacks are hard to pull off, I'd say AP DBs, especially since they work well on Des memes, meaning that if they get through you have removed a significant obstacle.

22 minutes ago, BullHalsey said:

Ironically of course their main function in formation became AA support for the fleet, in the top tier time period we have here.  Doesn't quite work with the free for all arcade game action though...an understatement.

Thing about CVs is that it's just like every other class, but we get to be where ever we want. But only every so often. Which of course, means that CVs punish all the bad players because you can never be far enough away for a CV not to notice you. We need more AA support BBs, that's the problem. 

Edited by megadeux

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,697 posts
3,459 battles

I wouldn't say dot stacks are hard to pull off honestly. Send your TBs in 1st, they'll trigger DCP,  then follow up with your HE DBs.

The AP bombs are only devestatingly against a small number of targets. HE,is effective against everything, and the DoT ability is powerful. They just need to not have a DF size of the equator when their pattern is already worst in game.

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,997 battles
11 minutes ago, megadeux said:

DoT stacks are hard to pull off, I'd say AP DBs, especially since they work well on Des memes, meaning that if they get through you have removed a significant obstacle.

Thing about CVs is that it's just like every other class, but we get to be where ever we want. But only every so often. Which of course, means that CVs punish all the bad players because you can never be far enough away for a CV not to notice you. We need more AA support BBs, that's the problem. 

The bad player thing is of course a given, if you include any high tier cruiser or battleship that is out and unsupported.  That said, I've been in close support and still been horse deleted by a carrier that only lost a few planes to all of us.  RNG has a dice roll, if I am not mistaken, in regards to AA effectiveness.

Whatever the case, that feeling of being deleted by someone working a map when you've been busting your butt on the surface really sucks.  So many times I've gotten so close, about to have a really good brawl then...Nope, please try again occurs.

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,992 posts
7,652 battles

If you don't want to feel the satisfaction of blowing up cruisers from full hp with a few DBs you have to ask yourself why you are playing midway in the first place. AP DBs all the way.