You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Skpstr

Which one?

26 comments in this topic

Members
17,779 posts
5,084 battles

I'm close to (or already have unlocked) 3 Tier 8 cruisers, Mogami, Chapayev, and Edinburgh.

Unfortunately, I'm only going to be able to afford one.

Thoughts and opinions plox! :cap_book:

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

just depends on what you like.  I liked chapayev but mogami is cool with 15 guns.  edinburgh is meh for me against t10s.   

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

dont get me wrong...I like my Mogami.  But If I could only buy one, I'd go Royal Navy.

[ARP2]
Members
1,223 posts
3,566 battles

Mogami felt like a large downgrade from Myoko.  I can't speak towards the rest of them.

Members
2,432 posts
12,163 battles

The only one you can keep the same captain in assuming you go to tier ten is HMS, otherwise you have to respec. 

I would vote for Mogami, but I'm biased, The HMS line prob is the most fun and versatile.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,672 battles

I am a "Meh" CA captain, at best. Here are my results with the three you are considering. 

Edinburgh 8 CA/CL  UK 67 56.72% 49,833 1,247 2.9 1.1 1.2 61% 38% 6% 1,308
  Mogami 8 CA/CL  Japan 30 63.33% 54,118 1,486 3.7 1.4 0.8 63% 35% 2% 1,555
  Chapayev 8 CA/CL  USSR 26 57.69% 54,837 1,328 1.2 0.8 1.9 27% 35% 17% 1,311

I really have fun with all three. But if I had a gun to my head I would rate the fun factor as:

1. Edinburgh
2. Mogami
3. Chapayev

I guess having torpedoes with decent range adds to my fun.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it!

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil

[HYDRA]
Members
50 posts
8,264 battles

Chapayev, spam He against BBs, radar 11 km (with hull B), and with full concealment build your detectability is 10.2 km. 

Members
1,238 posts
20,604 battles

Edinburgh is the last of the RN CL I really enjoy, maybe because T9 and T10 you can't be as forward playing and expect to survive.  The Neptune and Mino are very dependent on the rest of the team.  Leander, Fiji, and Eberdinger you can use much more independently and still get out of trouble.

Chapy up to Moscva play sorta the same.  Shoot from maximum range with your rail guns.  They're also fragile, and not as maneuverable as the RN, but you can do a lot of damage from distance.  Note that I have a crappy WR in Donski and Moscva, but I'm doing better in them now.  I've only really started to play them to pursue the shiny emblem ornament.

It's just hard, at least for me, to really influence a T9 or T10 battle in a CL.  But they can be fun.

The only IJN CL I have are the ARPy ones, so I can't say anything about those.

[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles

Mogami can have (I think) the highest DPM of any t8 crusiers, and a 9.3km stealth window. (can stealth fire torps while kiting.) I feel mogami is the more versatile of the 3. Chappy and edin are kinda one trick ponys. Chap long range guns, weak armor while edin is very dependent on position and mini map awareness to be fully utilized. @Skpstr what's your usual playstyle?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,828 battles

Played Mogami; gude bote.

Played Edinburgh; gude bote.

Played Chapayev; gude bote.

My personal preference is Chappy, but honestly, no matter which one you choose you won't be unhappy.

Beta Testers
3 posts

Like Umikami noted.... They are all GudeBote and really cant go with wrong getting any of those 3, hope you will have fun with your choice!

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,280 battles

I'd say go with the one that you think best fits your style of play. I am partial to the HMS cruisers so I'd recommend Edinburgh but as everyone else stated, Mogami and Chappy aren't bad options either. Choose... but choose wisely.

[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles
14 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Played Mogami; gude bote.

Played Edinburgh; gude bote.

Played Chapayev; gude bote.

Mogami: couldn’t say; only have Myokos and Atago/Takao. All of which I have never managed to make perform anywhere near their reputations.

Edinburgh: Nothing to me more than the third worthless bote after Emerald. If anyone is able to make that disaster called RN sap work, then more power to you.

Chapayev: Never played it.

Members
17,779 posts
5,084 battles

One question I have is, am I being a [edited] if I play a Chappy with no radar? If I did, how different would that be from playing Shchors?

Members
1,779 posts
17,360 battles
12 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Mogami, Chapayev, and Edinburgh.

If you love HE spamming there is only 1 choice...Mogami has 5 triple barrels (9 up front 6 in the rear) of fire breathing madness (DDs worst nightmare because no matter how bad your aim your hitting w/multiple hits every round) that reloads every 10 seconds (-Adrenalin Rush bonus) & double racks of torps on both sides w/10k range. There's a gun upgrade that cuts you down to 10 barrels w/15 sec reload for better AP damage but it makes you a better cruiser hunter instead of a DDs/BBs (from range...excellent rudder shift w/20% upgrade mod) worst nightmare.

Ed is a big disappointment after the Figi...Figi is just plain OP & Ed is a not quite as maneuverable as Figi (same rudder shift but longer) against T10s...not as OP...but Neptune is a big improvement over Ed so there's that to look forward to.

Chap is ok all around (except the torps) once you get the Radar in the 2nd hull...has good HE fire/good AP/can take a hit better than any of the others.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
577 posts
4,543 battles

Id personally say the Edinburgh. The RNCL is great until T10, and you can literally cruise through doing great damage, DD hunting/support and taking off massive amounts of enemy HP when anything shows a broadside.

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles

Chapayev never clicked with me.  Good enough boat, did OK, but just never liked it for some reason.  Enjoyed the Mogami much more, with the upgraded guns.

I still haven't started the RN cruisers...

[WOLFB]
Members
1,655 posts
8,037 battles
5 hours ago, Skpstr said:

One question I have is, am I being a [edited] if I play a Chappy with no radar? If I did, how different would that be from playing Shchors?

If you don't play Chapy with radar then you're basically a Schors at T8 with Concealment mod. Also once you uppgrade the hull you can't put other consummable than radar.

Personally I would recommend Mogami, so you can quickly grind toward your Zao. Mogami is a fun and good ship. Not the best but not the worst. I really like playing her with 155mm guns, it kills DD and start fire like hell, which synergize pretty well with your concealment. 

Chappy is a fun ship, and one of her advantage is to be able to spot whatever spotting you with your radar (basically you have 10.2 or 10.5km concealment with CE+mod and camo and your radar is 11.2). Range is decent, shell velocity and arc are great, this ship is good. As long as you play this ship like a cruiser with no armor, you should be fine.

Edinburg is ok I guess. She's in my port but I don't have motivation to play her 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,107 posts
18,631 battles

I would rather take a look at the final ship of the techtree. From all 3 the Moskva is the most interesting imo.

The Mino is good but needs a lot of skill and situational awareness. You can cit her from any angle.

The Zao is a first class fire starter, has okish armor but don’t bring anything extra to the higher tier. The Hindenburg beats her in everything but torpedo range.

The Moskva has a terrible stealth value but you can add both steering mods and wiggle your way through the match. Armor is good, guns are good and you get radar.

If you only care about T8 now you may give the RN a try. Skillful played she is a good ship. 

The Chap is ok the moment you get radar. 

The Mogami got a nice buff with the improved HE shells. But the skill makes only sense if you keep the 155mm. 

From the captain skills the RN is the most consistent. 

[PVE]
Members
8,842 posts
7,257 battles
13 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I'm close to (or already have unlocked) 3 Tier 8 cruisers, Mogami, Chapayev, and Edinburgh.

Unfortunately, I'm only going to be able to afford one.

Thoughts and opinions plox! :cap_book:

I have not played any of the three, but I do have Atago/Takao and I LIKE those. Do you have two 14pt captains for Mogami? Spec one for 155mm with IFHE & CE. Spec the 203mm with CE & AR and other goodness. You now have two ships for the price of one as you swap the guns back and forth and I'm working on Myoko to do that now. I would definitely take the turret traverse mod to help unstick both guns.\

Otherwise Chapayev, especially if you can WASD. They dart at range and burn me to the ground and rage me out all the time.

Don't know about UK lines, haven't figured it out yet.

[LOU1]
Members
2,862 posts
7,992 battles
On 2/10/2018 at 12:03 AM, Skpstr said:

One consideration is that would be denying your team the spotting radar would provide.  It is the same game changer in WOWS it was in WWII.  (The main reason I choose smoke over torp reload booster in a DD - to be able to smoke up my teammates.)