You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Vulgarr

WiP Asashio test

22 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
293 posts

Just trying something different to see how effective it is.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,161 posts
9,613 battles

I can see where TA would be quite usefull on 20 K torps.  Still think a DD with mediocre guns AND no ability to torp DDs is going to be a problem. Is it true you can't torp a CV?

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles

Im getting this ship if she stays in her current state, it'd be hilarious to play.

[BRZKR]
293 posts
3 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I can see where TA would be quite usefull on 20 K torps.  Still think a DD with mediocre guns AND no ability to torp DDs is going to be a problem. Is it true you can't torp a CV?

Not only that, but in it's current form it can't torp cruisers either. Only carriers and battleships.

[CVA16]
Members
2,161 posts
9,613 battles
30 minutes ago, Vulgarr said:

Not only that, but in it's current form it can't torp cruisers either. Only carriers and battleships.

What idiot thought that was a good idea. The only viable playstyle will be to stay at range (12K+) and lob torps at the BBs. If there are no BBs on your side of the map, or left in the game, you are relegated to being underwhelming gunboat that the red DDs and Cruisers would love to have reveal its position. In most games you are no real threat to 2/3rds of the red team. The PADDs get shorter range DWTs  but they get guns and other bonus' like radar. Asashio gets one more type it can't hurt and TRB, which is useless against most of the ships it will face.

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles

I'm still of the opinion that the DWT for Asashio are a terrible idea, and if they stay(with no option to run the regular T8 IJN torpedoes), WG lost a sale here.

I was so looking forward to a decent IJN torpedo DD that could train regular captains(Harekaze isn't the best because it uses the T7 type 90s, not the T8 type 93s, and the 100mm hull is arguably the best hull which requires a dedicated captain or an Akizuki captain).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[EREKT]
Members
746 posts
5,755 battles

I propose making the Asashio's DW torpedos do 25% alpha damage to DDs, 50% to cruisers and 100% to BB's... that way it can atleast do something against DD's and cruisers but not be super OP... it would take 3-4 to kill a tier 6 DD?

Edited by HorrorRoach
  • Cool 1

[BRZKR]
293 posts
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I'm still of the opinion that the DWT for Asashio are a terrible idea, and if they stay(with no option to run the regular T8 IJN torpedoes), WG lost a sale here.

I was so looking forward to a decent IJN torpedo DD that could train regular captains(Harekaze isn't the best because it uses the T7 type 90s, not the T8 type 93s, and the 100mm hull is arguably the best hull which requires a dedicated captain or an Akizuki captain).

I actually proposed to the devs the option to choose deep water or shallow torps in the upgrades section of your port like they have done with the Graf Zepplin loutout.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

I propose making the Asashio's DW torpedos do 25% alpha damage to DDs, 50% to cruisers and 100% to BB's... that way it can atleast do something against DD's and cruisers but not be super OP... it would take 3-4 to kill a tier 6 DD?

Could you possibly complicate that just a little bit more?

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles
1 hour ago, Vulgarr said:

I actually proposed to the devs the option to choose deep water or shallow torps in the upgrades section of your port like they have done with the Graf Zepplin loutout.

That's honestly the only way I'd consider buying it at this point. Glad at least someone who has access to the test ship has made the suggestion already.

I don't personally need a gimmicky T8 IJN DD, I technically already have Harekaze for that. I just want a normal IJN DD trainer that'll earn well, and T8's earn well for premiums.

Members
1,503 posts
7,911 battles
3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

What idiot thought that was a good idea. The only viable playstyle will be to stay at range (12K+) and lob torps at the BBs. If there are no BBs on your side of the map, or left in the game, you are relegated to being underwhelming gunboat that the red DDs and Cruisers would love to have reveal its position. In most games you are no real threat to 2/3rds of the red team. The PADDs get shorter range DWTs  but they get guns and other bonus' like radar. Asashio gets one more type it can't hurt and TRB, which is useless against most of the ships it will face.

Hey

Actually even if all of the BB's are dead, she could (if decent concealment) could be a late game cap stealer.  Even with DWT's she could still fire them and catch somebody off guard and could make them turn, slow down or whatever while remaining undetected.  No doubt normal torps would be better BUT how many people would complain about it being broken or pay to win [edited]?

Pete

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
30 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

it's extremely simple. you could just say "i don't like that idea" instead of making stuff crap about it being complicated.... But then I guess you wouldn't be able to be an [edited]about it so why respond at all right?

Sorry, Pookie; wrong again. Simple would be same torp = same damage to every ship, = or - whatever RNG has to say about it. What you're proposing is a car wreck looking for an intersection to happen in.

[EREKT]
Members
746 posts
5,755 battles
12 hours ago, Umikami said:

Sorry, Pookie; wrong again. Simple would be same torp = same damage to every ship, = or - whatever RNG has to say about it. What you're proposing is a car wreck looking for an intersection to happen in.

not really dude, the different damage levels "just happen" during the course of game play. no one needs to memorize anything except know that you can actually kill DD's with DW torps, it'll just take a couple more then normal. Complicated is having to memorize which out of 100 ships have radar and hydro. Complicated is every ship having a different smoke firing detection range in smoke.

[CVA16]
Members
2,161 posts
9,613 battles
20 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Actually even if all of the BB's are dead, she could (if decent concealment) could be a late game cap stealer. 

So not absolutely useless. It could spot to. Loads of fun. Nothing that any other decent concealment DD could do as well and that DD is a threat to cruisers and other DDs (PADDs have decent guns at least). IJN DDs can be very feast or famine now. Imagine if your only hope for any real success is to have the enemy BBs potato on your side of the map.

Members
1,616 posts
9,711 battles

So you torped a BB from a near perfect position, under 7km, still had to use TRB to land hits.  Is this a good thing?  I'm sorry that sounds harsh, but you are trying to sell me on this.

I would expect any IJN DD torp to kill that BB.  Any DD that Monach should see in MMer should have killed it.  That is just a textbook launch.

I have purchased almost every premium DD in the game now.  I really want a high tier IJN DD premium. as IJN DDs are my favorite line in the game.  I am exactly who WG should be marketing this to.

I refuse to purchase this ship in this configuration.  Heres why:

1.  DWT that are not capable of hitting more than half the targets on average in a game.  Its not like Asa has blazing speed able to hunt targets she can torp.  Particularly concerning is the lack of ability to torp DDs, a main stay of IJN DDs contesting caps.  This configuration seeks to give players a taste of how IJN DDs played prior to the nerf.  The issue is, playing the other boats in this manner is damning them to subpar performance.  This ship will be very easy to get zoned out of areas it needs to be to make an impact for the team because it has little chance at defending itself.

2.  A two second longer reload on the guns.  I assume it uses the same alpha as on Kagero.  If its the old alpha ignore this.  If so, this is a massive nerf from kagero's gun power.  Effectively it reverses the DPM buff alpha and fire chance nerf from several patches ago.  It already takes a lot of skill to win a gunfight in a Kagero against a same tier US DD.  It leads me to question how this DD is going to do DD things?  The lack of DPM and fire chance mean this thing is incredibly weak against CAs and DD.  Inexcusably so.  Are Kagero guns so strong this ship needs to have this decrease in gun DPM?

3.  A specialized captain being needed.  I could easily spare a 19 point captain to put on the ship.  Only issue, I'd rather have more generally useful skills like AR or maybe even EM if I an playing ranked.  Thinking about it, since BBs are the only likely target TA is really not needed.  You really should spec AR or EM in a 19 point build.

Is it too much to ask for an IJN DD that is balanced and able to do DD things like cap and scout?

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[CAST]
Members
1,396 posts
5,788 battles

In its current form, this ship caters to every bad behavior a destroyer player could possibly exhibit in game:

"Hey, we need you to help cap over here."  Nope, sorry, my torpedoes only work against battleships, my guns stink, and I'm here to do 200k damage.

"Hey, can you find that enemy destroyer that keeps trying to torp our battleships?"  No way, I can't fight destroyers because DWT and bad guns.  And I'm here to do 200k damage.

"DD, can you maybe stop humping that border and help out with the battle over here?"  Nuh uh, I'm hunting the carrier because that's what this ship is for.

"Why'd you smoke, DD?  We needed you to spot all those red ships near you!"  I already fired my torpedoes, don't want to get spotted.

"We could've won this game easy if our DD didn't spend the entire match in our spawn."  :etc_swear:you guys, I have 20km torps and I did 100k damage!  Stupid noob team.

[CUTE]
Members
413 posts
5,925 battles
8 hours ago, Harv72b said:

In its current form, this ship caters to every bad behavior a destroyer player could possibly exhibit in game:

"Hey, we need you to help cap over here."  Nope, sorry, my torpedoes only work against battleships, my guns stink, and I'm here to do 200k damage.

"Hey, can you find that enemy destroyer that keeps trying to torp our battleships?"  No way, I can't fight destroyers because DWT and bad guns.  And I'm here to do 200k damage.

"DD, can you maybe stop humping that border and help out with the battle over here?"  Nuh uh, I'm hunting the carrier because that's what this ship is for.

"Why'd you smoke, DD?  We needed you to spot all those red ships near you!"  I already fired my torpedoes, don't want to get spotted.

"We could've won this game easy if our DD didn't spend the entire match in our spawn."  :etc_swear:you guys, I have 20km torps and I did 100k damage!  Stupid noob team.

Honestly I don't like how DWT on Asashio is being presented but the same could be said for BBs and CAs with ridiculously accurate guns at range that instead of tanking, they stay at spawn and farm citadels. Sometimes in a Bismarck or FDG

[BRZKR]
293 posts
On 2/11/2018 at 5:57 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

So you torped a BB from a near perfect position, under 7km, still had to use TRB to land hits.  Is this a good thing?  I'm sorry that sounds harsh, but you are trying to sell me on this.

lol I'm not trying to sell you anything. The entire point of the match this clip is from was me testing the differences between 20 km 67 knot torpedoes, vs 16 km 72 knot torpedoes. I just decided to share it. Anything more than that you're just reading too much into it.

Edited by Vulgarr

1,542 posts
26 battles
On 09/02/2018 at 9:31 PM, HorrorRoach said:

On 09/02/2018 at 10:21 PM, Vulgarr said:

Some great ideas here guys, thanks for sharing! Testing is a fantastic way to see the way a new ship works and ways to improve it going forward and ideas like yours are a big help! Your contributions are always welcome :D

[CUTE]
Members
413 posts
5,925 battles
2 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

Some great ideas here guys, thanks for sharing! Testing is a fantastic way to see the way a new ship works and ways to improve it going forward and ideas like yours are a big help! Your contributions are always welcome :D

How about selectable torpedo range/speed in game for all IJN DDs?

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,701 battles
11 hours ago, l1nv5 said:

How about selectable torpedo range/speed in game for all IJN DDs?

Make it part of TA skill with IJN DDs. If you have TA, the narrow/wide spread toggle will be replaced with faster-shorter/standard one.

Here. WG. There's your non-game-breaking gimmick.

• Cool 1