You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DEADLY_BEAST

ive been sunk undetetcted in smoke 4 out 7 battles by main guns

22 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Members
59 posts
12,850 battles

how in the world players being able to hit with such accuracy while a ship is undetetcted in smoke and last few days it seems to be a very common situation,what kind of cheat or hack these players are using needs to be addressed and fixed or start banning these players for using these types of hacks and manipulation of the game,this never use to be a problem but something has been done to change the game mechanics for players to be using this stuff if wg start banning players on the first offense and the second time a permit ban this type of stuff would stop the smart players but want the players that have no common sense or brains.

[7RET]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
114 posts
6,254 battles

You didn't happen to be shooting out of the smoke, were you?

[HINON]
Supertester
3,924 posts
5,163 battles

Many players have started learning how to hit undetected, unmoving targets in smoke. It’s not hard to do with some practice.

Try moving around in smoke and holding your fire instead of staying in the same spot and constantly firing; that’s just asking for it.

[-K-]
Members
5,040 posts
8,925 battles

Spotter planes are a great tool to be able to triangulate and fire on a target shooting from smoke.  If you're a British cruiser, you need to be very careful of your positioning.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles

I am by all measures a potato player and even I can hit targets in smoke. I do binocular view to the smoke then look to see where the shots are coming from. You can differentiate the turrets firing and you aim for the middle. I don't always land every shell nor every salvo, but I can score hits and have even gotten a few citadels, usually on British cruisers, by doing that. It just takes patience, practice, and in my case, a bit of luck.  BTW I also do it as ripple fire instead of "all guns at same time" as I have better luck hitting that way. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles

As Taylor said, ripple fire will help hide your position better.  Also, please understand that in this game, hit rates are artificially high, to make it more 'fun'.  Sometimes I really think it is far too easy to hit in this game, and this shows up most in shots into smoke, or over islands.  I've mentioned a few times over the years (as have others) that there should be a larger penalty for firing without a target lock.

Edited by kerensky914

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles

You can see a puff of black smoke when there is a hit on target in the smoke and then that's what other people aim at too. Many ways to die in smoke. OK only two, torps and shells.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,136 posts

Had this happen to me yesterday.   Smoked up in my Mahan to escape detection by a brit cruiser.   The spotted icon went away, but the salvos kept coming, and my health disappeared...   Not firing, either- just trying to escape, and buy time for our BB to smash him.

Pissed me off, it did.    G.D. pve bots and their cheats.

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles
1 minute ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

hydro-acoustic search

that is how

He said he wasn't spotted.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,486 posts
2,043 battles

Let me guess. You were happily sitting in smoke, spamming away, then WHAM, BB caliber round blows you to kingdom come?

Spotter plane hax. It's pretty easy to judge with a spotter plane where a rapid firing ship is, and send some return fire. I've nuked several ships that way, and I just started doing it.

Also, if you pop smoke to get out of trouble, it's pretty easy to predict where you'll be. Especially RN CLs, they have to slow down so much, that it really easy to see them pop smoke, judge where they'll be, shoot, watch them disappear, then watch the citadel and kill ribbons pop up. Bonus for salt in chat.

As for why it's happening more now? Smoke has become more prevalent (though it's not as bad as it was a few months ago). People are learning how to counter it now.

Beta Testers
1,568 posts
3,893 battles
46 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Spotter planes are a great tool to be able to triangulate and fire on a target shooting from smoke.  If you're a British cruiser, you need to be very careful of your positioning.

44 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I love spotter planes muwhahaaha.

9 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Let me guess. You were happily sitting in smoke, spamming away, then WHAM, BB caliber round blows you to kingdom come?

Spotter plane hax. It's pretty easy to judge with a spotter plane where a rapid firing ship is, and send some return fire. I've nuked several ships that way, and I just started doing it.

Also, if you pop smoke to get out of trouble, it's pretty easy to predict where you'll be. Especially RN CLs, they have to slow down so much, that it really easy to see them pop smoke, judge where they'll be, shoot, watch them disappear, then watch the citadel and kill ribbons pop up. Bonus for salt in chat.

As for why it's happening more now? Smoke has become more prevalent (though it's not as bad as it was a few months ago). People are learning how to counter it now.

Seriously.  By the time I finally tried it myself, I'd seen so many videos of people doing it, it was pretty easy.

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,221 posts
3,566 battles

I would also like to point out it is a smoke screen, not a force field.

My money's on hacks though, always hacks.

[CVA16]
Members
2,164 posts
9,615 battles
34 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Had this happen to me yesterday.   Smoked up in my Mahan to escape detection by a brit cruiser.   The spotted icon went away, but the salvos kept coming, and my health disappeared...   Not firing, either- just trying to escape, and buy time for our BB to smash him.

There is an "OFFICIAL" mod that puts an X where your guns are aimed on the mini-map. This can help find a recently smoked ship that hasn't moved much, even if it isn't firing, by targeting the last known position icon. Unicums probably don't need it but those of us that can't remember the exact range the ship was before it broke lock or exactly where the ship was if their is no background reference now have a shot.

You can also aim at the explosions when somebody is getting hits on a smoked target if the target is stopped or is moving slowly so when it rains, it pours.

Edited by Sabot_100

[MIA-A]
Members
1,939 posts
6,549 battles

Normally people who are in smoke shoot continuously.

Many of them don't move. 

Many park full broadside (lol?).

Many of them also park next to obvious features (islands, cap circles, etc).

I actually often prioritize shooting at smoked ships because normally one of two things happen:

• they get blapped
  • they stop shooting 

Both are great results. Also particularly easy with spotter planes as a few folks have said.

[MIA-A]
Members
1,939 posts
6,549 battles

Also the tears you farm from shooting smoked ships make it well worth it even if you are unlucky often.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,712 posts
7,354 battles

It fills me with joy to obliterate someone hiding in smoke, thinking they're invincible. If you fire, even once, I can, and will, find you.

[HINON]
Members
8,796 posts
1 hour ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

It fills me with joy to obliterate someone hiding in smoke, thinking they're invincible. If you fire, even once, I can, and will, find you.

This is what I think when I see smoke firing enemies . . .

BXqQxX1.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TIRP]
Members
69 posts
13,253 battles

Funny part is..... I think I was one of the guys that tagged him, in a Belfast with my Nagato. You'd popped smoke & slowed down but were visible just as your smoke plume tipped bow-wards. Wasn't rocket science just aimed slightly behind you & scored 2 cits if I remember rightly.

As someone above pointed out BB drivers also hate smoke spam, it isn't hard to spread your shots around, in the area between where the shots are coming from & look for the black puff of smoke signifying a hit from yourself or a teammate. I'll often ask a teammate in a CA to help play Where's Waldo just to eliminate the spammer.

Nothing more satisfying to a BB captain than a blind cit/ major damage salvo, after being spammed by a CA/DD who thinks he's invisible & invincible.

Edited by CJSII

[IGB]
Members
90 posts
On 2/9/2018 at 10:25 AM, DEADLY_BEAST said:

how in the world players being able to hit with such accuracy while a ship is undetetcted in smoke and last few days it seems to be a very common situation,what kind of cheat or hack these players are using needs to be addressed and fixed or start banning these players for using these types of hacks and manipulation of the game,this never use to be a problem but something has been done to change the game mechanics for players to be using this stuff if wg start banning players on the first offense and the second time a permit ban this type of stuff would stop the smart players but want the players that have no common sense or brains.

"There's a cheat for that!" Browse around the available cheats (mods). There's one called "ghost" I think, which places "ghost" ships visible in game on last known locations, on DD usual locations when hiding in smoke, and on tracers' origin.

This said, WG doesn't give 2¢ about honest players, as modders usually are wallet warriors, hence milking cows. Doing the math: Pleasing the cheaters means more money, vs pleasing the honest players means less money.

Edited by Lexers615