You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

78 comments in this topic

[DEKM]
Beta Testers
290 posts
4,782 battles

Why is WG just removing Historical German mods but allowing CCCP mods or skins still around this is the NA server and it is a mod that only the player sees aka LOCAL folder. Tanz, TheStarSlayer, Edelweiss, zFireWyvern, TheElusiveDenby, USNA_76, and other great skin creators have just their german skin delete with little to no warning ... why?

I propose (Constitutional right) if we cant have Historical mods then the Hammer & Sickle skin (T5 CCCP BB) be removed as well or have the hid skin option just like the Arp option to hid skins.

It is not right after all these years.

Spoiler

" The symbol in question was not shown in my thread and it was not a MUST USE skin for the player..not to mention that only the player using it could see it. " -Tanz

" Meanwhile, the Soviets still get to flaunt their Hammer & Sickle symbol without any trouble, regardless of morality. There I said it. " -Willcott

Is there another website where you can post them?  there are other games where you can post historical skins.....

Spoiler

WT

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
693 posts
1,687 battles
2 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

Lame double standards.

Has literally nothing to do with double standards. And everything to do with Wargaming being an international company and operating in a country where those specific German symbols are illegal.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 4

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
1 minute ago, Avalon304 said:

Has literally nothing to do with double standards. And everything to do with Wargaming being an international company and operating in a country where those specific German symbols are illegal.

It's illegal in that country because of LAME DOUBLE STANDARDS.

• Bad 5

[CMFRT]
693 posts
1,687 battles
Just now, Elegant_Winter said:

No. It really isnt.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
Just now, Avalon304 said:

No. It really isnt.

Yes, it really is.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 7

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles

Has literally nothing to do with double standards. And everything to do with Wargaming being an international Russian company and operating in a country where those specific German symbols are illegal.

This ^ is actually the main reason...

• Bad 2

[CMFRT]
693 posts
1,687 battles
Just now, Elegant_Winter said:

Yes, it really is.

Im gonna need you to explain that, because there is no double standard. German is making Nazi symbols illegal.  The double standard would exist if they were making other symbols illegal but not Nazi symbols.

[DEKM]
Beta Testers
290 posts
4,782 battles

Im gonna need you to explain that, because there is no double standard. German is making Nazi symbols illegal.  The double standard would exist if they were making other symbols illegal but not Nazi symbols.

So erasing history is legal? To get rid of the past is to not learn from it. To take this like that away cause history to repeat itself. know fact. 

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.” - Edmund Burke

Other who do have to watch helplessly  as others do

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,582 battles

This issue has been discussed to death in the other thread. This is probably why:

Sites that do not remove "obviously illegal" posts could face fines of up to 50m euro (£44.3m)

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42510868

That's "illegal" according to Germany. The German WG community is huge. WG could just thumb their nose at Germany and block anyone from there from accessing their game but it would result in a substantial drop in revenue. If you sell a product in a country then you have to play by its rules. If you look into the issue you will see that games in Germany have been heavily censored for quite some time now. 

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
11 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Hey, you have to understand that many of them hate themselves. Once you understand that it all falls into place. They're censoring a past they consider shameful. They're not personally connected to the shameful acts of the Russians so they don't see the same need to censor that past.

Edited by Elegant_Winter
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[CMFRT]
693 posts
1,687 battles
4 minutes ago, volkswagenenthusiast63 said:

So erasing history is legal? To get rid of the past is to not learn from it. To take this like that away cause history to repeat itself. know fact. 

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.” - Edmund Burke

Other who do have to watch helplessly  as others do

In Germany? Where displaying Nazi symbols in any way is illegal? I mean yea, I guess. Or you can quit being hyperbolic and realize that just because displaying Nazi symbology is illegal in Germany that they arent trying to erase history.

Yes, WG must abide by the laws of the countries that they operate in. Being an international company this means we, here on the NA forums, also have to abide by them. Thats sorta part of the company having the same rules across all regions.

Hey, you have to understand that many of them hate themselves. Once you understand that it all falls into place. They're censoring a past they consider shameful. They're not personally connected to the shameful acts of the Russians so they don't see the same need to censor that past.

Yea... but a double standard requires unfairly applying the rules to one group and not another. Germany making it illegal to display Nazi symbols in Germany is not unfair to anyone. Them making the hammer and sickle illegal but NOT Nazi symbols is the double standard.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
2 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Yea... but a double standard requires unfairly applying the rules to one group and not another. Germany making it illegal to display Nazi symbols in Germany is not unfair to anyone. Them making the hammer and sickle illegal but NOT Nazi symbols is the double standard.

They're unfairly applying the rules to themselves because they hate themselves.

• Bad 1

[CMFRT]
693 posts
1,687 battles
5 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

They're unfairly applying the rules to themselves because they hate themselves.

No. Its not unfair for the German government to apply rules to their citizens... that is infact completely fair... and sort of the whole purpose of a government.

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles

Nazi items are illegal in Germany because they do not want a repeat of the past to rise again and secondly I do think they are trying to bury the past, especially after they ended up starting 2 world Wars and losing both of them, that is something they would likely love everyone to forget, but likely nobody ever will.

German people often seem cold and far less happy in general, if you visit a cafe or something. There is no happy warm friendly atmosphere like many other countries have.

Every culture is different of course, but I sometimes wonder if they do carry the guilt, or if it's just always been their culture to be like that.

[MAHAN]
Members
21 posts
440 battles

Elegant_Winter stop hating on us poor Germans just because you can't be one. :P

And for erasing history, swastikas and other Nazi symbols are perfectly legal to be shown on educational content and art. Sadly until now no game publisher has tried to challenge the law on the ground that games are actually a certain kind of art. As the federal government has already proclaimed that games ARE art, the chances of a court ruling in favour of Nazi symbols in a video games are pretty high...but the publishers just haven't mustered the courage so far to simply try their luck.

Oh, and for this "bury history"...no, just no. You don't want to know how much history classes we had on the topics of WW2 and how we got there.

Edited by Hjalfnar_HGV

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
46 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

No. Its not unfair for the German government to apply rules to their citizens... that is infact completely fair... and sort of the whole purpose of a government.

Uh, it depends on what those rules are. They could very easily apply unfair rules to their citizens, and that's precisely what they're doing if you ask me.

Anywho, truth be told, I just assumed WG was doing yet another thing that doesn't make sense. I assumed incorrectly this time.

Edited by Elegant_Winter

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
4 minutes ago, Hjalfnar_HGV said:

Elegant_Winter stop hating on us poor Germans just because you can't be one. :P

And for erasing history, swastikas and other Nazi symbols are perfectly legal to be shown on educational content and art. Sadly until now no game publisher has tried to challenge the law on the ground that games are actually a certain kind of art. As the federal government has already proclaimed that games ARE art, the chances of a court ruling in favour of Nazi symbols in a video games are pretty high...but the publishers just haven't mustered the courage so far to simply try their luck.

Don't make me migrate into your country.

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles

I think we are looking at the wrong sourcess for the rules it's not Germany probably for the reason German WWII flags are not used and it is 100% not the Japanese for not having Rising Sun Flags on the ships because Japanese still use that to this day.

As I have mentioned before Wargaming's main HQ is Russian so it's likely them, after all look how badly Germany and Japan were able to beat up the Russian forces on numerous occasions in history when Russia is such a large country...

I would be willing to say it's humiliating for them to think about of be reminded much about.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I think we are looking at the wrong sourcess for the rules it's not Germany probably for the reason German WWII flags are not used and it is 100% not the Japanese for not having Rising Sun Flags on the ships because Japanese still use that to this day.

As I have mentioned before Wargaming's main HQ is Russian so it's likely them, after all look how badly Germany and Japan were able to beat up the Russian forces on numerous occasions in history when Russia is such a large country...

I would be willing to say it's humiliating for them to think about of be reminded much about.

It's not exactly hard to believe that Germany would do something like this considering their modern sensitivity to guilt.

[DPG]
Members
819 posts
4,211 battles

It's really not that big of a deal.  Wanting to have Nazi symbols on your ship seems like some desire for a bit of taboo.  It seems like a battle that doesn't really need to be fought.

[TG-38]
1,277 posts
7,102 battles
10 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

after all look how badly Germany and Japan were able to beat up the Russian forces on numerous occasions in history when Russia is such a large country...

Japan beat up on Russian forces?

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles
44 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

The why it's illegal is irrelevant.  WG has no right to decide which laws to obey and which once to ignore, whether they like those laws or not, whether YOU like those laws or not.  It has a responsibility to obey all the laws.

The solution to this issue is to simply put the mods on sites other than WG's.  Like reddit, I suppose.  And stop blaming WG for obeying laws it has no right to ignore, as long as it wants to do business in Germany.

If you want to blame Germany, knock yourself out.  But I think that you're barking up the wrong tree.  You're trying to impose American (I assume you're American) sensibilities and viewpoints onto the sensibilities and viewpoints of a different society.