You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Berating your own team... In global.

39 comments in this topic

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I understand that frustrations get high in losing (and sometimes winning games) and that short term feeling of relief when you've called everyone on your team an idiot (to absolutely no benefit to the battle, the team or the game- I'm aware of that too...) We're all human and sometimes that relief valve can be found in the keyboard. It doesn't last long and you feel bad about it- sometimes. 

I've popped a few times... said things I regretted but hurt nobody's feelings as a result- of this I am sure. People get sick of getting yelled at- but I don't think anyone's feelings are ever tangibly hurt. I've never heard of anyone being told to "uninstall and kill yourself" who quit the game and ate a bullet with mention of warships in the suicide letter.

What I have yet to figure out is the point of berating your own team in global chat- as if it somehow vindicates you from the brush with which everyone else on the steamrolled team will be painted. 

"crapteam." Says one guy on the other team that we're about to roll. A dead guy. Or a live guy. Doesn't really matter. The context is the same.

Of course I'm lying- I've been flattened in every game I've been in over the last couple days- or most of them anyway. My own fault- I know where I messed up each time and take my part in the loss. 

But while I can feel somewhat justified in calling my own team of losers idiots (again, to nobody's benefit and the detriment of my own character... it's a [edited] thing to do)... we're ALL losers and me calling everyone idiots in team chat is basically me also calling myself an idiot whether I like it or not. But to say it to the team that flattened us? 

So you're in your game and you've died, or done nothing and lived, or you're downright heroic but still on the losing end of a steamroll and you decide to slag off your own team in global chat. "What a team of losers. Totally useless." 

In your head, do the team of winners care about your opinion? Do you feel like they're in team chat agreeing that the rest of your team sucked but you're actually okay because you said something about it? 

What's the angle? 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Your First problem is the Open Chat after the opening salvo. I find the game much more enjoyable after the chat is closed.

Your second problem is caring what others say. Knowing You played your best is good enough.

The opinion of others has only Value you access on to it.  Nobody Cares Here.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,336 battles

"The Masses are Asses" is a quote I heard back in the 60's, and is still relevant today.

Another one in Latin which goes: "Illegitimi non carborundum" can also be applied, but due to WOWs Forum policy you'll have to look this on up yourself, I'm not allowed to post the translation.

Hang in there, for while it doesn't get better this is truly as bad as it gets, and you're living through it now, right?

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles

I don't think I've ever seen a person who complained about the quality of their teammates top the leaderboard.  Strange, huh?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[56TH]
Members
266 posts

90% of the time, the guy complaining about the rest of the team died 3 minutes into the match. My usual reply is "if you play poorly and die early, you're gonna have a bad time".

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
733 posts
11,973 battles

It happens. Happened to me today, in fact. One of our Gneisenau captains was very upset that I pushed around a corner with two cruisers and left him all alone with the other eight ships on our team. Had to listen to his crying for a solid five minutes (from the time he was sunk) at the end of the match. His main contention? That I was a selfish player who did not care about the team. Nevermind that I was with two other ships, spotting and smoking for them. All that mattered to him (and those like him) was that I was alive, he was dead, and that he could vent his impotent rage. I called him a crybaby and went on to the next game.

Spoiler

4sEOqF9.jpg

I admit that I have typed things in all-chat like, "This team... lol... GG, reds! <O" in steamroll losses. But I don't recall singling anyone out for public shame.

Respects,

Am

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Ah, manners. What a beautiful thing. It's a shame the beauty of manners is incomprehensible to so many.

Edited by Elegant_Winter
  • Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,776 posts
10,159 battles
4 hours ago, Harv72b said:

I don't think I've ever seen a person who complained about the quality of their teammates top the leaderboard.  Strange, huh?

If I'm going to dis my team in public chat, I make damn sure I'm the top player. 

Hence, it doesn't happen much. 

Though, one time I came third on my team with only 16k damage. We had a bad time. 

[PSP]
Members
6,346 posts
8,968 battles
3 hours ago, Amracil said:

I have typed things in all-chat like, "This team... lol... GG, reds! 

When I have a really poor team I'll say things like "gg reds, wp, you roflstomped this team." Of course, this implies by comparison that the team I was on played like crap.

[4HIM]
Members
1,817 posts
4,168 battles
4 hours ago, 56th_Karma said:

90% of the time, the guy complaining about the rest of the team died 3 minutes into the match. My usual reply is "if you play poorly and die early, you're gonna have a bad time".

Yep.  That's how they have enough free fingers to type so much in chat.  Whenever I see those comments about how bad the team was, I have to fight the urge to reply "Of course it is, YOU'RE on it!"  Because I know we all have bad games, and even bad streaks of games at times.  And sometimes you've just had a bad day and are ticked off at the world.  Doesn't make it right, but it does make it understandable.  

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
7 hours ago, Harv72b said:

Funny you should say that. The battle I'd come out of that's exactly what happened. Was someone from a well known clan- a good one at that. I expected a little more dignity but... who am I kidding...

Anyway this isn't a question involving hurt feelings- moreover to the point that the winners don't care about your opinion when you're a loser. I suggest that next time you want to complain about a terrible team consider not hitting the tab key first. It will reduce the futility of your claims by 50%

Edited by Gascan75

Members
2,433 posts
7,744 battles
9 hours ago, Gascan75 said:

In your head, do the team of winners care about your opinion? Do you feel like they're in team chat agreeing that the rest of your team sucked but you're actually okay because you said something about it? 

While a may not care about a single player opinion i might agree with him. Steamrolls are bad no matter if you are on the winning or losing side, its a waste of time. If i wanted a battle like that i would just play PvE stomp some bots. When i chose PvP i expect some challange. 

When a battle is so one sided and a player calls in chat "garbage team" or "useless team" i so often agre with him. And i understand the player, while this wont solve or change anything its a way to express your frustration when you get those terrible teams that cant even stay alive for 5 min.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

The person that does that thinks that everyone on the other team is going to look at them and think, "he was such a great player but he was stuck on a bad team".  A moron would actually think that way. Nobody cares. Nobody is going to research the stats or even the single battle contribution of everyone and then take out an Internet add on behalf of the "great" player saddled with the worst team. It's all just a practice in narcissism. 

• Cool 1

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles

saying general insults won't work, but if enough detail given i will help report

examples:

"our atago is afk, report plz"

"our yugumo's torp forced me to give broadside"

"our tirpitz pushed me out of my smoke"

so it somewhat works? 

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
3 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

saying general insults won't work, but if enough detail given i will help report

examples:

so it somewhat works? 

Red team player last night asked green team to report a player on their team that was shooting/killing teammates. The team damage began before any enemy contact so it was clear that it was a troll. 

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles
1 minute ago, BullpupWOT said:

Red team player last night asked green team to report a player on their team that was shooting/killing teammates. The team damage began before any enemy contact so it was clear that it was a troll. 

how.....people couldve been tk-ing at the start of the game

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 hour ago, jason199506 said:

examples:

so it somewhat works? 

Not quite the same as what I'm talking about. The first one is sort of valid- though usually by the end of the game the reds have feasted on the AFK and are happy he was AFK. People asking to report AFK globally in the first 2 minutes of the match are not helping. 

Come to think of it... I think I'll say in global that one of our radar ships is AFK at the beginning of the match. Be an interesting tactic.

In your second two notes- I'm not sure why there's any reason to have to make an excuse for why you got killed. I don't think the red guys care to hear about your lame excuses. I certainly wouldn't. All that comes out is:  

"I'm perfect and would have carried this match but something I don't think should have happened happened and someone on your team seized the brief moment and ended me." 

Edited by Gascan75

Members
567 posts
75 battles

If WG punished players appropriately for poor performance so that they can't fail their way to the top, there would be far less incentive in players to do the punishing. And since we can't electrocute players through the internet every time they do something remarkably stupid, words are all the players have. 

Nearly every other game has separate sandboxes for players of like ability to play together and every sports organization does as well, heck, even the Olympics has the parolympics for the physically challenged and special Olympics for the mentally challenged. 

WG in their brilliance decided instead to make the primary game mode, and majority quests forcing players to play that mode, a place where conflict is inevitable due to the vast differences between skill, priorities, wants, play style and even communication. 

It's like hosting a Jerry Springer show inside the Tower of Babel.

Wise people know you cannot change human nature, the very things that define who we are as a species. Instead of trying to go against the grain and struggle, go with the grain. Humans are largely grossly irrational. They will apply that irrationality most often when identifying cause and effect (making incorrect excuses), which serves as their own worst enemy to progress because they're not addressing the real cause (the stupid thing they did).

The way to go with the grain is to remove subjectivity. Remain purely objective. And that's where mathematics comes in. In World of Warcraft for example, they have level restricted zones. If your character is below the required number, that zone is unavailable. Period, end of story. It's there to keep players from making the irrational decision of going to a place they are not prepared to be. 

It's a simple and successfully effective tool to keep similar groups playing in separate sandboxes while still enjoying the game. 

The tier system here partially does that with repair costs and it works a little bit. If you use any stat monitor, you can easily see that there is a greater concentration of skilled players playing the higher tiers than the lower tiers. It's night and day. But, there are still too many grossly unprepared players with premium accounts and purchased free xp playing in their T9-10 ships. 

So while it works a little bit, WG can improve considerably if they simply applied common sense. But since they still haven't taken five minutes to widen the name column on the post battle report after over two years, I don't see WG exercising any brain power in this area. 

• Cool 3

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
5 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Good input

Agreed 100%

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles
11 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

In your second two notes- I'm not sure why there's any reason to have to make an excuse for why you got killed. I don't think the red guys care to hear about your lame excuses. 

i have seen these happen multiple times either to myself or my opponents

and after i DS a neptune, i will gladly report the tirpitz that pushed him out of his smoke for him

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

EVERYONE MUST KNOW THAT I LOST BECAUSE NOT OF MY OWN DOING, BUT OF MY TEAM.

That's definitely how it translates. 

Members
1,819 posts
23 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

If WG punished players appropriately for poor performance so that they can't fail their way to the top, there would be far less incentive in players to do the punishing. And since we can't electrocute players through the internet every time they do something remarkably stupid, words are all the players have. 

Nearly every other game has separate sandboxes for players of like ability to play together and every sports organization does as well, heck, even the Olympics has the parolympics for the physically challenged and special Olympics for the mentally challenged. 

WG in their brilliance decided instead to make the primary game mode, and majority quests forcing players to play that mode, a place where conflict is inevitable due to the vast differences between skill, priorities, wants, play style and even communication. 

It's like hosting a Jerry Springer show inside the Tower of Babel.

Wise people know you cannot change human nature, the very things that define who we are as a species. Instead of trying to go against the grain and struggle, go with the grain. Humans are largely grossly irrational. They will apply that irrationality most often when identifying cause and effect (making incorrect excuses), which serves as their own worst enemy to progress because they're not addressing the real cause (the stupid thing they did).

The way to go with the grain is to remove subjectivity. Remain purely objective. And that's where mathematics comes in. In World of Warcraft for example, they have level restricted zones. If your character is below the required number, that zone is unavailable. Period, end of story. It's there to keep players from making the irrational decision of going to a place they are not prepared to be. 

It's a simple and successfully effective tool to keep similar groups playing in separate sandboxes while still enjoying the game. 

The tier system here partially does that with repair costs and it works a little bit. If you use any stat monitor, you can easily see that there is a greater concentration of skilled players playing the higher tiers than the lower tiers. It's night and day. But, there are still too many grossly unprepared players with premium accounts and purchased free xp playing in their T9-10 ships. 

So while it works a little bit, WG can improve considerably if they simply applied common sense. But since they still haven't taken five minutes to widen the name column on the post battle report after over two years, I don't see WG exercising any brain power in this area. 

Money ... money money.. money.. money.. money.. They cant and wont force the worst 25% of players to quit. Heck they wont even improve other play modes enough for it to be worth playing those instead of randoms.

I mean World of Warcraft has for example, for Raiding, Looking for Raid, Normal, Heroic, Mythic

And it has 3 modes of dungeons to, normal, Heroic and Mythic.. 

What WG is doing now.. its not working!

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
12 minutes ago, Kconvey_1 said:

Money ... money money.. money.. money.. money.. They cant and wont force the worst 25% of players to quit. Heck they wont even improve other play modes enough for it to be worth playing those instead of randoms.

I mean World of Warcraft has for example, for Raiding, Looking for Raid, Normal, Heroic, Mythic

And it has 3 modes of dungeons to, normal, Heroic and Mythic.. 

What WG is doing now.. its not working!

I may have misread Hipster's post but I didn't see it as forcing people- even terrible players- to quit as much as inspiring them to improve to unlock otherwise unavailable tiers / game modes / maps or whatever it chooses to be. A person will grind for weeks for an undesirable ship because free stuff is free. Stepped access to game content is also free but requires some commitment, some time and inevitably some improvement of skills. 

Members
1,819 posts
28 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

I may have misread Hipster's post but I didn't see it as forcing people- even terrible players- to quit as much as inspiring them to improve to unlock otherwise unavailable tiers / game modes / maps or whatever it chooses to be. A person will grind for weeks for an undesirable ship because free stuff is free. Stepped access to game content is also free but requires some commitment, some time and inevitably some improvement of skills. 

You have to have a bottom 25% of players, or 50%, or whatever. If everyone played better... the exact same amount better.. the bottom 25% would still be there.. if some improved and some didnt, you would still have a bottom 25%. 

You cant avoid it, in random matchmaking with no balancing. You are going to have problems like this. 

• Boring 1