You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
warpath_33

I need naming conventions

9 comments in this topic

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles

So I've drawn up two battleships in Photoshop already, but I've hit a wall. See, I play this mobile game called Warship Craft, and I would build ships there. Now, I've just drawn the first ship I built first in game before drawing, since Hardy and Villeneuve were based on existing drawings (Revenge and Kongo). Problem is, it's a cruiser, and while I know how to name aircraft carriers and battleships that I create, I have no clue how to name cruisers or destroyers.

I'm *this* close to naming cruisers and destroyers after countries that endorsed my own in Nationstates (I can see it already, destroyers Ka Ching and A Terribly Charismatic Duck participated at the Battle of Jutland...)

So I need suggestions for naming conventions for cruisers and destroyers, because until then this drawing is gathering dust:

Cruiser.thumb.png.b90c820b652b6233c4163f1988a31350.png

I actually have a placeholder name for this ship, Arakawa, because instead of naming it Project ### like I did for a few ships in Warship Craft I did this instead:

Spoiler

qscd1Xb.png

(battleships named after naval figures, preferably commanding a battleship and doesn't necessarily have to be famous, aircraft carriers after naval battles)

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

For the US, Destroyers were mostly named after people, with Cruisers being named after cities.

Japan tended to use Natural things for their destroyers (Weather, Months, etc), while most Light Cruisers were named after Rivers, with Heavy Cruisers being named after Mountains

• Cool 1

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles
10 hours ago, Goose21891 said:

For the US, Destroyers were mostly named after people, with Cruisers being named after cities.

Japan tended to use Natural things for their destroyers (Weather, Months, etc), while most Light Cruisers were named after Rivers, with Heavy Cruisers being named after Mountains

I know that, but I need to know how to name cruisers and destroyers that I draw. I'm perfectly fine with taking names from other countries, but I kind of draw the line at naming things after geographical locations, which is why I want to rename the two cruisers that I have placeholder names for so badly (because I named them after a river and mountain in Japan).

[TDD]
Members
878 posts
7,888 battles

if they are your designs and not attached to any real nation then you decide how you want to name them. no one else can advise you on that.

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles
On 2018/2/8 at 8:36 PM, warpath_33 said:

So I've drawn up two battleships in Photoshop already, but I've hit a wall. See, I play this mobile game called Warship Craft, and I would build ships there. Now, I've just drawn the first ship I built first in game before drawing, since Hardy and Villeneuve were based on existing drawings (Revenge and Kongo). Problem is, it's a cruiser, and while I know how to name aircraft carriers and battleships that I create, I have no clue how to name cruisers or destroyers.

I'm *this* close to naming cruisers and destroyers after countries that endorsed my own in Nationstates (I can see it already, destroyers Ka Ching and A Terribly Charismatic Duck participated at the Battle of Jutland...)

So I need suggestions for naming conventions for cruisers and destroyers, because until then this drawing is gathering dust:

Cruiser.thumb.png.b90c820b652b6233c4163f1988a31350.png

I actually have a placeholder name for this ship, Arakawa, because instead of naming it Project ### like I did for a few ships in Warship Craft I did this instead:

Reveal hidden contents

qscd1Xb.png

(battleships named after naval figures, preferably commanding a battleship and doesn't necessarily have to be famous, aircraft carriers after naval battles)

Wait... what race is she? Japanese? I'll find you seome betters names in a bit.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles
1 hour ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

Wait... what race is she? Japanese? I'll find you seome betters names in a bit.

The same nations as the other ships I've already drawn... [Redacted].

Which is kind of why I want to do away with the clearly Japanese name.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
On 2/8/2018 at 10:36 PM, warpath_33 said:

US Navy naming Conventions;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_ship_naming_conventions

IJN Naming Conventions;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ship-naming_conventions

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles

Right, I've decided to name destroyers after weather. That only leaves cruisers. Progress!