Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

35
[B_O_W]
Members
239 posts
5,294 battles

This is something that is slightly spoken about but not spelled out well.  Income or Economics in WoW.  To simplyfy a few things:

Silver and Experience are earned by being in combat.  The more you play, the more you earn.  Experience and Silver are needed to advance to a higher level, improve your Captain skills, and purchase upgrades for available modules.

A Premium account cost about $100 USD per year and will greatly increase the silver and exp you receive in battle.

Doubloons are rarely earned or purchased.  Doubloons can be used to reset or reorder the assigned skills on your Captain, move your captain to a new ship and get him (or her) fully qualified so all skills are 100% usable, buy additional slots, buy premium ships, etc.

Now, there are those who play for free and try not to spend money for different reasons.  For example, I am retired and live on a fixed income, so a premium account is a dream for me.  For others, it is chicken feed.

So where does the line cross for the premium and play for free players cross?

I have recently upgraded to the US cruiser Tier 9 Baltimore (pre US cruiser split that is projected to happen in a few months)  I earned a Premium account for getting 5 stars in an operation.  So I launched a session, selected the Baltimore (you know the city that has more murders is a short time than any other city in the US - but I digress.....)  So I got my but spanked.  As Jingles would say, a serious paddling.  So what happened?  I lost silver, and quite a bit.

This has happened to me to the US Tier 8 cruiser New Orleans, and did not loose much.

So the balance is about Tier 7 on up.

Silver is important.  Experience to improve your captain and to advance to a new level is important.  So becareful on how fast you advance with your tiers so that you can manage the economics of World of Warships to your advantage.  My suggestions are:

- Premium account is always a good thing if you can afford it.

- Don't rush to advance to the next higher tier expecting things to go easier.  You will find that you will face more experienced player to counter your advancement.

- Manage your silver and doubloons well.  Some may be easy to get, others are not.

Wargaming is not a non-profit organization.  It is a for profit organization.  Every business need revinue to keep its doors open, pay for staff, upgrade the technology solution's of the product, etc.  If you can afford a premium account, then do get one.  It really makes things easier and more rewarding for you on your missions and operation. It also supports development of the game.  Also purchasing doubloons can help you to transfer Captains, buy a premium ship, buy permanent camo, and so many other things.  But for the rest of us who have our financial limitations, see where you max out on the economics, and enjoy the grind to get there (being careful about going beyond your economic limitations)

So Happy Hunting to Y'all!

  • Cool 6
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,822
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Well Stated nice read and for those who never could read past the opening sentence. Don't Rush In.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
424
[PC]
Members
1,866 posts

You can manage your credits without paying anything, but once you move up to tier 9, the credits system will encourage you to pay at least a little. WG doesn't make anything from F2P players. Just one high-tier premium battleship works wonders in that regard, because you can play it over and over forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[B_O_W]
Members
239 posts
5,294 battles
2 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Well Stated nice read and for those who never could read past the opening sentence. Don't Rush In.

Tks.  It is more of a lessons learned.  I am of the thoughts to think a bit, face the mirror, and then share my honesty.  Somtimes, thay may help someone to not make the same mistakes as myself or many others.

For example, when you first launch the game, do NOT use you doubloons!  Save them for a rainy day.  You will appreciate them more down the road.

So Thanks Clutch_Cargo.  And yes, I remember the old killer cartoons........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,822
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
6 minutes ago, Texas_Vet said:

Tks.  It is more of a lessons learned.  I am of the thoughts to think a bit, face the mirror, and then share my honesty.  Somtimes, thay may help someone to not make the same mistakes as myself or many others.

For example, when you first launch the game, do NOT use you doubloons!  Save them for a rainy day.  You will appreciate them more down the road.

So Thanks Clutch_Cargo.  And yes, I remember the old killer cartoons........

We sail the same oceans with age comes experience. A shared experience makes it all worth the journey. When I started playing I was with two friends Spinner and Paddlefoot Both left for more action and violence. Kids who knew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
687
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,320 battles

Nice write up and as already commented on, a very important point is for newer captains not to rush up tiers as it can be counter productive

I'd add a couple of points if you are keeping a keen eye on your bank balance:

  • Understand what actions drive more income, it's just not damage done but also things like capping spotting & of course winning
  • You can augment your income by utilising Flags and certain Camouflages. They are percentage based so add more value the higher the tier.  The good thing is that if you are on a budget quite a few of these can be earned within the game by doing tasks like completing missions and competing in ranked.
  • You can also look at using premium ships a few of which can also be earned as opposed to buying them.
  • Playing at high tiers can be expensive so you may need to play a few games at lower tiers to pay for your high tier games, so keep a few lower tier ships in port to generate income.

The wiki has some good info too

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
212
[VFW]
Members
899 posts
20,603 battles

Good Stuff there Texas_Vet.   Of course for Premium Time, if you do buy, wait for the deals during the holidays then stock up.   If any money is to be spent within this game, Premium time is top on the list.

VR,

TexJapan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[B_O_W]
Members
239 posts
5,294 battles
2 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

We sail the same oceans with age comes experience. A shared experience makes it all worth the journey. When I started playing I was with two friends Spinner and Paddlefoot Both left for more action and violence. Kids who knew?

But Clutch Cargo would always find a way to get things done!  Yes, my kid has gone down a bad track.  A brain, a scientist, but you can lead a horse to water but you can not make them drink.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[B_O_W]
Members
239 posts
5,294 battles
4 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

Nice write up and as already commented on, a very important point is for newer captains not to rush up tiers as it can be counter productive

I'd add a couple of points if you are keeping a keen eye on your bank balance:

  • Understand what actions drive more income, it's just not damage done but also things like capping spotting & of course winning
  • You can augment your income by utilising Flags and certain Camouflages. They are percentage based so add more value the higher the tier.  The good thing is that if you are on a budget quite a few of these can be earned within the game by doing tasks like completing missions and competing in ranked.
  • You can also look at using premium ships a few of which can also be earned as opposed to buying them.
  • Playing at high tiers can be expensive so you may need to play a few games at lower tiers to pay for your high tier games, so keep a few lower tier ships in port to generate income.

The wiki has some good info too

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy

Your points are very well taken and appreciated! An objective mid is always open!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,539 posts
3,731 battles

It's worth noting that there are campaigns and missions that can be completed by anyone and get nice rewards which in some cases involves earning a premium ship or special camos like the HSF Yamato which is incredibly useful for its -50% service cost without the need to spend a dime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

This is all you will ever need to never worry about economics in wows

10wlsqF.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
584
[PVE]
Members
1,594 posts
6,696 battles

It has always amazed me as to how so many players in game are so broke so much of the time.  Learning to curb their spending and be a little more conservative are lessons that many need to learn.  The first lesson for all to learn in a game like this is that if it is at all affordable, get a Premium account, saves a lot of headache and worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24
[AK-47]
Members
149 posts
3,084 battles

Also before you start messing with modules/captain skills actually read in depth about them instead of going with what you "think" might be best... when I first started dec 2017 I made the mistake of getting better damage reducers or 3-one skill pts instead of saving them to get to the 4 skill level... which in turn as I got higher in tiers I started getting werked due to not having the best available which made me spent doubloons so I could compete instead of restarting after already getting up to 11/12pt captains...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
2,276 posts
4,349 battles
1 hour ago, Texas_Vet said:

This is something that is slightly spoken about but not spelled out well.  Income or Economics in WoW.  To simplyfy a few things:

Silver and Experience are earned by being in combat.  The more you play, the more you earn.  Experience and Silver are needed to advance to a higher level, improve your Captain skills, and purchase upgrades for available modules.

A Premium account cost about $100 USD per year and will greatly increase the silver and exp you receive in battle.

Doubloons are rarely earned or purchased.  Doubloons can be used to reset or reorder the assigned skills on your Captain, move your captain to a new ship and get him (or her) fully qualified so all skills are 100% usable, buy additional slots, buy premium ships, etc.

Now, there are those who play for free and try not to spend money for different reasons.  For example, I am retired and live on a fixed income, so a premium account is a dream for me.  For others, it is chicken feed.

So where does the line cross for the premium and play for free players cross?

I have recently upgraded to the US cruiser Tier 9 Baltimore (pre US cruiser split that is projected to happen in a few months)  I earned a Premium account for getting 5 stars in an operation.  So I launched a session, selected the Baltimore (you know the city that has more murders is a short time than any other city in the US - but I digress.....)  So I got my but spanked.  As Jingles would say, a serious paddling.  So what happened?  I lost silver, and quite a bit.

This has happened to me to the US Tier 8 cruiser New Orleans, and did not loose much.

So the balance is about Tier 7 on up.

Silver is important.  Experience to improve your captain and to advance to a new level is important.  So becareful on how fast you advance with your tiers so that you can manage the economics of World of Warships to your advantage.  My suggestions are:

- Premium account is always a good thing if you can afford it.

- Don't rush to advance to the next higher tier expecting things to go easier.  You will find that you will face more experienced player to counter your advancement.

- Manage your silver and doubloons well.  Some may be easy to get, others are not.

Wargaming is not a non-profit organization.  It is a for profit organization.  Every business need revinue to keep its doors open, pay for staff, upgrade the technology solution's of the product, etc.  If you can afford a premium account, then do get one.  It really makes things easier and more rewarding for you on your missions and operation. It also supports development of the game.  Also purchasing doubloons can help you to transfer Captains, buy a premium ship, buy permanent camo, and so many other things.  But for the rest of us who have our financial limitations, see where you max out on the economics, and enjoy the grind to get there (being careful about going beyond your economic limitations)

So Happy Hunting to Y'all!

Nice write up, but I will challenge one point you make...

You say... The more you play, the more you earn    that's not strictly true..  it should be..  the better you play the more you earn.   As the levels go up, that "better" becomes more and more important.    A really skilled player can make money on a non premium account at TX but ONLY if they are a great player.

The old adage in WG titles was and still is..  you work at lower tiers to make money to have fun at higher tiers :)  The cutoff point has always been  upto T7 you can usually make money fairly easily..   T8 and up it becomes proportionately harder and your skill level needs to drastically improve to well above average.

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[NOOOB]
Members
1,432 posts
12,020 battles

Have to say, the best purchase you can make in the game is Premium time.  Makes credit generation, grinding bearable.  One way to minimize cost is at one of the sales, buy some doubloons ( reasonable amount)and purchase a one or three day game pack when you are planning some power playing.  Over time earn enough free exp to get a Nelson.

Edited by Panzer1113

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
593
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,302 posts
11,393 battles

You forgot to mention benefits of being in a clan.

Reduced cost of operating a ship bonuses. 

Reduced cost of purchasing a ship.

.....

As a side note:

A premium ship at tier 7 to 9 can print credits for average player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,752
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

One of the best ways to always have credits, is to grind the operations (specifically Narai with the Atlanta) and ALWAYS get the more credits container. I went from 6.4 million credits to just over 10 million in only a couple days by doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
217
[TDG]
Members
1,126 posts
5,640 battles

Good discussion.

I track performance and plan my purchases.  Except for the current line I am focusing on, I wait for discounts for ship purchases.  I had a few ships that I had acquired that did not yet have Upgrades, so I Upgraded everything I could in the last sale over the holiday.

I do run a Premium account, but that fits in my game budget.

One thing I do is maintain a minimum credit level of 1 million credits.  I am not likely to lose all of that in a single battle.  If I get below that level, I look for my ships with the lowest operating costs that I still do reasonably well in.  If I get much below 500 thousand credits, I will play low tier (Tier 1 if I am desperate as there is no cost there).  As @Kitsunelegend mentioned, I will get More Credits containers when I am this low.  (I usually get More Signals.)

Finally, I have Missouri and Nelson.  Either of these ships will generate a comfortable amount of credits every battle.

Just a note, I am a very Average player.  Better players will have less issues with funds to fund fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,479
[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
5 hours ago, Texas_Vet said:

Silver and Experience are earned by being in combat.  The more you play, the more you earn.

Also, the better you are the more you earn. Daily achievements are especially beneficial for most reward you with signal flags. 

Doubloons are rarely earned

However, they can be earned. The Campaigns give doubloons for certain achievements. ALso, you can get them in supercontainers. I've received three thousand doubloons that way, which I used to buy permanent camouflage and port slots. 

 Doubloons can be used to reset or reorder the assigned skills on your Captain

Occasionally, WOWS has a free or discounted commander re-spec period and other sales (like, for instance the 75 doubloon port slot sale). It pays in the long run to save doubloons until an opportunity arises.

For example, I am retired and live on a fixed income, so a premium account is a dream for me.

I'm in the same boat.

So I launched a session, selected the Baltimore... got my but spanked.

Higher tiers can sometimes have better players. Also the high-tier ships cost more to service. I play a lot at tier VI to build up my coffers before I play again at higher tiers. Use economic flags and take advantage of Clan buildings and Ranked season flags to lower the cost of playing high-tier ships without a Premium account. Also, the bette you are the more credits you will earn. Sometimes I do well enough to even make credits at high tiers.

 

 

Quote

- Don't rush to advance to the next higher tier expecting things to go easier.  You will find that you will face more experienced player to counter your advancement.

Good advice. This is one reason why my overall stats are, well let's say "mediocre,": When I first started playing this game I was always wanting "bigger and better" ships and thus usually playing stock ships with untrained commanders, which I was unfamiliar with. No wonder I lost a lot.  

 

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[B_O_W]
Members
239 posts
5,294 battles

Snargfargle, yes as well for me as when I first started it was to quote Admiral Farragut "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"  WoW is a thinking game.  We need to think about:

  • improving our skills with ships and weapons.
  • Improving our tactics with our ship types and countries we are using.
  • Supporting the team (team player in comparison to playing as only and individual)
  • Advancing to a higher tier when skills and tactics justify it (ability)
  • Advancing to a higher tier when the economics support it (not just to research and purchase, but to upgrade modules as well).

Now I think about these things where before I did not.  I do much better with my Tier 5 french cruiser and my Tier 6 British cruiser than any other cruiser or DD in any other country (even though I have US cruisers Tier 6 - 9).  So lessons learned.  That is one of the principal reasons I created this thread to discuss lessons learned for all to think about, and for all to comment as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i tend to break even at t9  with free account, but lose some at t10.    with premium, i break even at t10.   YMMV      premium account is probably the best deal in the game.   I don't really need it since I have so many ships mostly done with grinding but would recommend .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
2,713 posts
4,273 battles

Play all three games, get prem time from all of them...

...the way of freerider...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×