You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GabeTheDespot

Cv beginner asking for help

66 comments in this topic

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

Any tips for a beginner CV captain, I have the premium Enterprise, which I did well in for a time, then that passed and began grinding on Jap CVs again. I have gained basic knowledge of CV play, and could learn while in battle. Then I started succumbing to more skilled CV players and bad gaming equipment (solvable). I can strafe, exit strafe, position, and manual drop, but have trouble doing all 3 simultaneously. Any mods to make the field of view larger? Positioning? Dealing with fighter RNG? All positive tips are appreciated!

[5D]
Members
1,211 posts
7,099 battles

Play off the minimap. Make sure it's as big as you can make it by using the + and - signs on your number pad. Playing off your minimap instead of allows you to see EVERYthing easier. When your planes are in position and ready to strike, right click the minimap and the main view will zip to that location, allowing you to instantly go from striking on one side of the map to strafing on another.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Play in Co_Op until you are AWESOME. then Dip your toe in the random pool. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,284 battles

I'd also recommend playing in Co-op and get the feel for playing carriers. The enemy ships should be easier to hit with torpedoes and bombs. Once you get the hang of it, they are really fun to play and a good CV player can tip the balance in their teams favor. Then try some random battles against human opponents and see how it goes. Good luck! 

• Cool 1

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
4 minutes ago, Spartias said:

Play off the minimap. Make sure it's as big as you can make it by using the + and - signs on your number pad. Playing off your minimap instead of allows you to see EVERYthing easier. When your planes are in position and ready to strike, right click the minimap and the main view will zip to that location, allowing you to instantly go from striking on one side of the map to strafing on another.

I didn’t know about the right clicking thing, that will make it much easier, thank you!

1 minute ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Play in Co_Op until you are AWESOME. then Dip your toe in the random pool. 

Done some of that already, will do even more, again, thank you very much for the advice!

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,997 battles
6 minutes ago, Spartias said:

Now that is an interesting thought.  Not much of a CV player here but it's worth looking into that one.

[5D]
Members
1,211 posts
7,099 battles
1 minute ago, GabeTheDespot said:

I didn’t know about the right clicking thing, that will make it much easier, thank you!

No probs!

[5D]
Members
1,211 posts
7,099 battles
Just now, BullHalsey said:

Now that is an interesting thought.  Not much of a CV player here but it's worth looking into that one.

It's exactly how I play :)

[DYING]
Members
186 posts
3,873 battles
9 minutes ago, Spartias said:

Sheeit it I use alt CV controls so... left click I guess. I like my ra3/sc/lol right clicking too much

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,452 battles

You can also looking into Cv upgrade modules where it give your fighter more ammo/HP, faster take up and faster service

You then equipped your capt with extra skill like dog fighting/ Air Supremacy where can give you a little extra to fighter better fighter

Anything else to make your plane more superior or better chances of survive also good

Signals for defensive

[5D]
Members
1,211 posts
7,099 battles
1 minute ago, Q___________Q said:

Sheeit it I use alt CV controls so... left click I guess. I like my ra3/sc/lol right clicking too much

I got used to the original controls, so when they came out with the alt controls I tried them once and then never again lol.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

I sure hope that others who want to be CV players find threads that are positive and help the community. And that those are salty and complain don’t, that isn’t the point though. I appreciate all info, and I wish you good luck!

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,469 battles
23 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Any tips for a beginner CV captain, I have the premium Enterprise, which I did well in for a time, then that passed and began grinding on Jap CVs again. I have gained basic knowledge of CV play, and could learn while in battle. Then I started succumbing to more skilled CV players and bad gaming equipment (solvable). I can strafe, exit strafe, position, and manual drop, but have trouble doing all 3 simultaneously. Any mods to make the field of view larger? Positioning? Dealing with fighter RNG? All positive tips are appreciated!

Hey Gabe! - Welcome to the world of CVs!  I too recently started w/ the 2 CV trees recently in Dec &, like you. are learning how to CV.   What helped me is the following:

The links here are an excerpt from WOWS Enjoyment List of Game Improvement/Mechanics Articles & Guides - Farazelleth's CV videos are extremely detailed and useful - they helped me so much I added these links to the other Game Guide sections:

[ Links to Farazelleth YouTube Videos ] Fara's CV Guides - CV Configuration and Play

For those interested in CV Gameplay - this section contains links to  very detailed instructional and informational videos from the EU Unicum CV Player Farazelleth's YouTube Series Fara Carrier Guide.  This series explains tactics and strategies when playing CVs which will help you get the most out of your CV (including gameplay examples).   Farazelleth has also posted a Configure Your CV series  which covers each CV in the Tech Tree including:

• Ship Upgrade Recommended Progression
  • Module Upgrades
  • Captains Skills
  • Overall ship playstyle and information
  • Play examples in Random Battles

The links below represent a sampler of basic CV information contained on his channel - if you find the information useful, please consider subscribing to his channel.

Fara Carrier Guides Series

What Makes a Good CV?

Introduction

IJN CVs

USN CVs

Premiums

After viewing these YouTube vids, I took the T4-T5 CVs into Co-op until I felt comfortable w/ the mechanics and tactics at the tiers (& managing the number of squadrons) before taking them into Randoms.   I'm currently doing the same w/ the Tier 6 CVs which takes a leap up in the micromanagment RTS aspect as it introduces Strafes/Manual Drops.

Good luck!  Hope this helps! o7

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1

Members
2,442 posts
12,175 battles
12 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

I sure hope that others who want to be CV players find threads that are positive and help the community. And that those are salty and complain don’t, that isn’t the point though. I appreciate all info, and I wish you good luck!

as one of the more vocal folks concerning CV's, I have no problem with them and wish you luck. Personally I am struggling with them two fold, one, some of the things you mentioned as well as actually enjoying them...but those are my issues. I am all for any and everyone trying to get better at them and wish you luck. farazelleth on youtube has awesome videos, some are more in depth than I care to get into, but the quality and quantity are there.

And the only thing I will say concerning CV's, Some are really good at them, some are trying to be good at them...and some just can't get past kindergarten in them no matter how many games they play, and those are the folks that seem to be the catalyst for the salt.

best of luck, and please share things you learn as you go forward.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
13 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

as one of the more vocal folks concerning CV's, I have no problem with them and wish you luck. Personally I am struggling with them two fold, one, some of the things you mentioned as well as actually enjoying them...but those are my issues. I am all for any and everyone trying to get better at them and wish you luck. farazelleth on youtube has awesome videos, some are more in depth than I care to get into, but the quality and quantity are there.

And the only thing I will say concerning CV's, Some are really good at them, some are trying to be good at them...and some just can't get past kindergarten in them no matter how many games they play, and those are the folks that seem to be the catalyst for the salt.

best of luck, and please share things you learn as you go forward.

I am past kindergarten, but getting past 1st and second grade is proving challenging. I try hard, and have many good games, but most are mediocre, which is why I started this thread, to end the mediocrity. Thanks!

[CUTER]
Members
25 posts
8,103 battles

I found that playing other RTS style games really helped provide me with a good foundation for map awareness and multitasking. Specifically speaking, I play Starcraft. Im still working on improving my multitasking, but it really does help with basic CV play. Just a thought

[-BRS-]
Members
1,606 posts
13,210 battles

Heck I am a destroyer player and I wish you luck too

nothing worse than having a bad CV driver on your side,,, in fact that's my number one problem with CVs

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
1 hour ago, silverdahc said:

Heck I am a destroyer player and I wish you luck too

nothing worse than having a bad CV driver on your side,,, in fact that's my number one problem with CVs

I know, sometimes to have a competent player of a ship class you have to be that ship class (unicum player logic). Striking DDs gives as much XP and a higher win chance than not doing so, hang with Atlanta’s or better, be on my team, lolz.

2 hours ago, hangglide42 said:

Hey Gabe! - Welcome to the world of CVs!  I too recently started w/ the 2 CV trees recently in Dec &, like you. are learning how to CV.   What helped me is the following:

The links here are an excerpt from WOWS Enjoyment List of Game Improvement/Mechanics Articles & Guides - Farazelleth's CV videos are extremely detailed and useful - they helped me so much I added these links to the other Game Guide sections:

[ Links to Farazelleth YouTube Videos ] Fara's CV Guides - CV Configuration and Play

For those interested in CV Gameplay - this section contains links to  very detailed instructional and informational videos from the EU Unicum CV Player Farazelleth's YouTube Series Fara Carrier Guide.  This series explains tactics and strategies when playing CVs which will help you get the most out of your CV (including gameplay examples).   Farazelleth has also posted a Configure Your CV series  which covers each CV in the Tech Tree including:

• Module Upgrades
  • Captains Skills

The links below represent a sampler of basic CV information contained on his channel - if you find the information useful, please consider subscribing to his channel.

What Makes a Good CV?

Introduction

IJN CVs

USN CVs

Premiums

After viewing these YouTube vids, I took the T4-T5 CVs into Co-op until I felt comfortable w/ the mechanics and tactics at the tiers (& managing the number of squadrons) before taking them into Randoms.   I'm currently doing the same w/ the Tier 6 CVs which takes a leap up in the micromanagment RTS aspect as it introduces Strafes/Manual Drops.

Thanks for the link to all the fara carrier guides, I used to have them, then they refused to work, then I simply closed the page, and because I was a guest on the EU server... yeah. I believe it will help a lot, thank you very much!

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,758 battles
5 hours ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Play in a division with ships that has good AA so you can use them as forward AA platforms for your planes.

[REVY]
[REVY]
Members
270 posts
1,489 battles
8 hours ago, hangglide42 said:

• Module Upgrades
  • Captains Skills

What Makes a Good CV?

Introduction

IJN CVs

USN CVs

Premiums

o7 to your response!  :Smile_honoring:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

I'm curious - did you start with the premium Enterprise? Or did you grind away on the USN/IJN line till you felt you could play the Enterprise?  

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

Good Luck to you, I would give advice - but I am no good at CVs, (and DDs). But if you get real good you can be the star of the game at times.

Members
2,209 posts
4,051 battles
18 hours ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Use the number keys to select squadrons and double tap to bounce around the map quickly. 

Also figure out a system to organize multiple squadrons of the same type

For me the west/south squadron is the lower number. I also don't stack bombers until just before an attack run. 

Use waypoints so you can automate maneuvering some. I will often finish off a "flight plan" with an autodrop so if something happens and I can't manually drop. My bombers will still do an attack run. 

Don't clump all of your squadrons together. Instead position them equal distance at different angles. That way if a red fighter squadron shows  up. He can't strafe both squadrons. And if he chases one squadron, you can still attack with the other.

Lastly. Communicate often. Your intentions, when ships use their repair and when really arming fighters. 

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
2 hours ago, StoneRhino said:

Use the number keys to select squadrons and double tap to bounce around the map quickly. 

Also figure out a system to organize multiple squadrons of the same type

For me the west/south squadron is the lower number. I also don't stack bombers until just before an attack run. 

Use waypoints so you can automate maneuvering some. I will often finish off a "flight plan" with an autodrop so if something happens and I can't manually drop. My bombers will still do an attack run. 

Don't clump all of your squadrons together. Instead position them equal distance at different angles. That way if a red fighter squadron shows  up. He can't strafe both squadrons. And if he chases one squadron, you can still attack with the other.

Lastly. Communicate often. Your intentions, when ships use their repair and when really arming fighters. 

Thanks, controls that you mentioned will be used, and make not clumping attack aircraft much easier to deal with.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I know "parking" next to an island is the norm. But one thing I noticed most CVs don't notice or a functionality they choose never to use is:

The WASD + QE keys still drive your ship. 

Sure the Auto-Pilot is available for your ship in CV Map mode. And that is great and all. But if you're "Micro'ing" you squadrons and are under pressure from a Line Breaker DD, then knowing your ship can activate WASD hacks while you focus you mouse clicks on your Planes has potential to save your ship. 

Also it allows you to make the "fine tuned" adjustments that the Auto-Pilot is incapable of doing.