Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dominator_98

Advise a newbie plz

37 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
287 battles

So, coming from someone who advises WoT newbs a lot, I'm gonna ask some of the same questions I answer frequently.

1. What's the best tier to play and learn how the game works?

2. What lines should I be going down? Answer both for helping me learn and also for potential competitive play. I've got all the American tier 4's unlocked, any of those I'm better off abandoning now? Don't want to learn the game only to learn my ships suck.

3. Good YouTuber to watch to learn the basics?

4. When does it become cost-effective to run signal flags, camos, and the like? I have a premium account from tanks, but have no plans to spend any money on Warships-specific items, so my credit earning is somewhat limited.

Edited by dominator_98
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,052 posts
9,185 battles

1) All of them. Do not worry about rushing up the lines.

2) Ultimately the ones you have the most fun in. Generally I would say German BB's they are the most forgiving ships to learn on.

3) Notser and Flamu

4) Tier 5-7 are very cost effective. I would recommend getting at least one tier 8 prem ship.

• Cool 1

Members
612 posts
7,259 battles

1) Same from above

2) It depends to what you like... for BBs, Get German BBs if you want to brawl, US BBs to fly swatter the planes (tier 8-10), IJN BBs are faster at low tiers (except later on to tier 6-10, still decent speed) and good armament (either brawl or support),
French BBs... Ehh, not tested yet... wait... I went off-topic lol... sorry...

3) Same from above + iChase

4) Same from above but don't recommend buying premiums at tier 6-8 yet since you are new here (judging by your battles)... gotta play at low tier first and not just buy premium at tier 8 so sudden... You'll regret playing with the tier 10s... And absolutely don't buy a carrier (Saipan)...
Gulio Cesare would be the most fit since she's tier 5 (nvm, she's gone since this new update... RIP)

Edited by DJ_PON3_ZaNe

Beta Testers
1,166 posts
7,928 battles

Low tiers are hard to recommend ships for, because things change mighty fast in most lines, for all nations and classes.   I found Russian and Japanese DD's fun, I had a lot of fun with the Brit CL's all the way through, pretty much.  German cruisers can be fun, if you learn their weaknesses and strengths.  I don't play BB's often enough to advise, and no CV experience at all.

I'd say get an idea of which class you enjoy most right now (CA, BB, etc), and then narrow down your choice of lines.  I'd say tier 3-4 is the most fun (low tier), 5-6 is the most usefull to learn in, simply because of the wide range of ships you'll see.  IT sucks being bottom tier in a 5 or6, but, as I said, most lines go through such big changes around 4-6 in play style, there's not much point "learning" a nation lower than that.  For learning basics?  tier 3-4 will let you learn basic tactics and mechanics, and be be seriously fun.

Members
6,622 posts
25,255 battles

1, Tier 4 - Tier 5 suffers from MM issues when server population is low (maybe under 12k) and most often gets uptiered to T7

2. Depends on what you like. The most balanced is German (KM). USN BBs are annoyingly slow till T8. Cruisers are very squishy till T6. IJN DDs are torpedo monsters but guns are lacking. USN gunboats have slow shells and high arcs (though Clemson is extra good). Their torpedoes kinda suck till T8

3. Beginners? Notser and iChase. Advanced? Flamu and maybe Aerroon. There are others with good content too. Read the reviews of ships in the Forum, especially the series by LittleWhiteMouse.

4. Signal flags only if you have enough. I would not use many till T5

Use Coop to learn gunnery. Div with people to learn tactics and strategy

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,031 battles

This is literally WoT on water. Play it as such, only that arty is replaced with CV, far more imbalanced in all regards.

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

As a veteran wot player who switched to wows, I can give you some info in regards to differences between wot and wows, so everything below is in the context of wot vs wows.

• wows premium ships are usually stronger than the tech tree counterparts, and never get nerfed directly (although game mechanics that certain premium ships depend on may change from time to time)
  • lower tier ships have pretty good chances to damage high tier ships, because of how the game damage mechanics work
  • there's no preferred match making, as far as certain premiums enjoyed enhanced MM
  • there's permanent camouflage purchasable for real money for high tier ships, which negates the costs of running said ships (I can only wish I could spam my T-54 and M46 Patton with premium ammo all day long)
  • the "sweet spot" for tiers seems to be T7 or T10 with permanent camo, since T7 ships never get into T10 battles, and T10 ships never get downtiered
  • there exist real premium T9 ships (the "premium" T9/T10 reward tanks in wot are still subjected to economy rules and WILL lose credits)
  • Cool 1

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,937 battles

1) tier 3 helps aim. Tier 4-7 teaches you armor mechanics, aim and team tactics. 8-10 learn how the pros do it.

2) depends on play style.

however do not play aircraft carrier. Everyone will hate you. Cruisers are an excellent start. American / japanese / german cruisers are great for starting.

3)Notser, Flamu, IChase, Nozoupforyou, Aerroon, LittleWhiteMouse (wows forums)

4)flags camos and other perks work best tier 6+ however i often use it on tier 8-10. T

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,937 battles
2 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

This is literally WoT on water. Play it as such, only that arty is replaced with CV, far more imbalanced in all regards.

Its not in anyway wot

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
2 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Its not in anyway wot

The launcher with PLAY button is very similar.

• Funny 1

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,937 battles
1 minute ago, Ramsalot said:

The launcher with PLAY button is very similar.

Ahahaha thats about it. Other then its made by wargaming

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,794 battles
21 minutes ago, dominator_98 said:

For pure basics, it's tier II.  You are heavily protected by the matchmaking so that you will not see overly powerful ships or carriers, and can instead focus on things like maneuvering around the map and proper aiming.  Once you're past the basics tier IV is generally the best "noob" tier; again, favorable matchmaking (although carriers are now present, their captains are handicapped by not being able to manual drop torpedoes or bombs), coupled with some very well-rounded ships and generally fast-paced action.  There are players who frequent this tier to "seal club", but that doesn't change the overall value of sticking here for a bit.

25 minutes ago, dominator_98 said:

2. What lines should I be going down? Answer both for helping me learn and also for potential competitive play. I've got all the American tier 4's unlocked, any of those I'm better off abandoning now? Don't want to learn the game only to learn my ships suck.

Experiment and see.  All of the lines have their gems and dung heaps, but all of them do eventually lead to some very good ships.  With the "national flavors" that WarGaming tries to build into the ships, all of them also favor slightly different play styles (vastly different in some instances), so it's simply a case of finding the ones that fit you best.  In terms of pure flexibility, the US lines are very good for beginning players.

27 minutes ago, dominator_98 said:

IChaseGaming has a huge library of WoWs tutorials ranging from the absolute basics to very advanced stuff.  Notser and Flamu have also uploaded tons of quality videos breaking down the strengths & weaknesses of specific ships and their recommended set-ups for them.  LordZath regularly uploads viewer-submitted replays along with his own analysis of their play, and as his channel is still relatively small is an excellent place to submit your own replays to for specific help with your game.

31 minutes ago, dominator_98 said:

4. When does it become cost-effective to run signal flags, camos, and the like? I have a premium account from tanks, but have no plans to spend any money on Warships-specific items, so my credit earning is somewhat limited.

Generally speaking, you're not going to get full "value" out of your credit- and XP-boosting signals until you hit tier VII, but since there are so many ways to earn these flags within the game (and without spending real money), it's not a huge deal if you throw some on your lower-tiered ships.  Camo is recommended on all ships, and the base ones (which increase your concealment rating) can be purchased using plain old credits.  Any "special" camos you earn through containers or missions should probably be saved for later tiers, as many are limited editions which cannot be directly purchased at all.

Welcome aboard! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
6 posts
287 battles
2 minutes ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

Ahahaha thats about it. Other then its made by wargaming

And the questionable balance, as well as arty/CV. 

As far as the gameplay itself, there really isn't much in common at all, which is why I'm not just sticking to tanks.

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
8,980 battles

It is important to play all ship types, regardless of line; that is probably the fastest way to get the sixth sense of awareness required to get good.  Russian cruisers T4-9 are probably the most frustrating and high skill out of the lot to master, but they are a great tool to learn hyper vigilance toward ALL incoming shell fire.

Only line I have personally not liked in any real way would be the British BBs after T6.  Got to the Conqueror and sold it after a while; tired of being eviscerated by high tier cruiser HE due to the fact its deck is significantly worse than the T7 KM BB Gneisenau.  They give 9-10 a mega heal that looks great but is really just a crutch to make a stupid HE slinging BB with terrible horizontal armor playable.

[USN50]
Members
70 posts
3,786 battles
46 minutes ago, dominator_98 said:

So, coming from someone who advises WoT newbs a lot, I'm gonna ask some of the same questions I answer frequently.

i think the american bbs are pretty forgiving and a good ship to learn on. from the bb standpoint of the game you can watch all the dds and cas and see how they play. texas is a great T5 premium ship to get started with. ichase and flamu are a great resource. look at their captain builds.

always run camo, at least type 5. certain flag are for different ships but you will learn that along the way. its common sense.

the main thing i see with myself and others that come from wot is they try to relate heavies to bbs and mediums to cas.. lights to dds, arty to cv... while that sounds right on paper, they don't play like you do on wot. if a bb is pushing and leads the charge he will be torped and die early. a dd is like a light tank in terms of spotting and should lead the way to the cap to spot reds  but when using dds torps from a blind spot, he is like an artillery on wot. in the same way some cas that are glass, like the atlanta or british cas, need island cover to help them stay alive. so many cas take the arty roll of wot and blind fire from behind islands. bbs have to play a wot artillery style roll too, but only at the beginning of the game or at least until the dds are gone.

in other words i have found that every ships roll changes throughout the battle, no matter what kind of ship your in, sometimes you need to spot, sometimes you need to play arty, sometimes you need to brawl. there isnt one defined roll for each type of ship. its knowing when to change your roll during the course of the battle that will help your win rate.

heres a tip: kill the red dds first and your chances of winning sky rocket. everyone even the bbs should shoot at the red dds at all times and skip that juicy bb that you so desperately want to shoot.

also if lemming trains happen, and they do, its not such a bad thing like in wot. because the maps are more open they can end up focus firing together more effectively and IF they are moving fast, i have seen many lemming trains win strong. again, it all just depends on the map, game and ships etc... which is what i like about this game. 

also, cap cap cap cap

Edited by Kerabatsos

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles

huge fan of Aerroon on youtube, he is funny as hell and a good player. Flamu's videos are very informative.

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Would you like us to just play the game for you?  Here is the simple answer.  Find a ship class you like, and yes you may have to slog around a bit, then run it.  Trying to answer your questions is like trying to tell someone what flavor of ice cream they will like.  You have to figure it out. 

You tubers will tell you what they like.  that has nothing to do with what you will like. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig
  • Bad 2

Members
6 posts
287 battles
Just now, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Would you like us to just play the game for you?  Here is the simple answer.  Find a ship class you like, and yes you may have to slog around a bit, then run it.  Trying to answer your questions is like trying to tell someone what flavor of ice cream they will like.  You have to figure it out. 

I ask because in Tanks, there are definitely some lines new players have no business playing (Frenchies mainly). I assumed there would be something similar in Ships. 

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,937 battles
24 minutes ago, dominator_98 said:

And the questionable balance, as well as arty/CV. 

As far as the gameplay itself, there really isn't much in common at all, which is why I'm not just sticking to tanks.

Cv doesnt play like arty. Arty you nail sh*t from a distance but cv thats just one if its tasks. Cv's are required to scout enemy planes/ships and take out enemy planes

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
9,395 battles

Do your research, feel the tech tree's out a bit, no need to rush up the tech trees.

Don't suffer from target fixation, situational awareness is probably the number one thing in World of Warships.

Even if you don't intend to play CV's, get one CV line up to tier 6, even if it's only in Co-Op. If you understand how they work, you'll be much better off.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
35 minutes ago, dominator_98 said:

I ask because in Tanks, there are definitely some lines new players have no business playing (Frenchies mainly). I assumed there would be something similar in Ships. 

And lots of people will tell you what they like and don't like..  which may have absolutely zero bearing on what you like.   But you may be one of those that just wants to do what other people tell you..and not what works for you.  So good on you.  You will be a welcome addition to the lemming trains. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig
  • Bad 2

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,794 battles
18 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

And lots of people will tell you what they like and don't like..  which may have absolutely zero bearing on what you like.   But you may be one of those that just wants to do what other people tell you..and not what works for you.  So good on you.  You will be a welcome addition to the lemming trains. 

I knew before looking that you'd have a sub-.500 winning percentage.  How about instead of bashing someone who came here looking for help with a genuine desire to do well, you start reading some of these threads so your own game might improve?

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
49 minutes ago, dominator_98 said:

1. For movement and aiming mechanics T2-3. For basic teamplay and adapting strategies T4. For learning how to punch above your weight-class T5-6.

2. All lines (DD, BB, CV, CACL) all react differently in playstyle. And once you hit T7 and the WW2 era ships you're tossed a curve ball with some of their playstyles. Hopefully your adaptability is up to par. Personally I recommend the IJN Aoba for those still looking for a ship style they like. It's got a fair number of downsides, but the "lite-feels" it gives off has BB characteristics, DD style with longer reaching Torpedoes, CACL awareness (large Citadel) and Utility usage (consumables). I've heard Furutaka at T5 was buffed but I haven't revised in a long time. 

3. IChase, Notser, Flamu, and Aerroon are pretty good. But if you want familiar territory coming from Tanks then The Mighty Jingles. At the very least Jingles is entertaining. 

4. Signals and flags become most cost effective when you've considered how well versed you judge your mastery of the game. But if you're only asking about earnings then T8+ although T7 also works if you feel you'll make the most of it. 

4a. There are things such as Premium Consumables you might want to take a look into. They cost Dubloons OR Credits, there is an option to select payment. I suggest you play a few matches without them equipped until you figure out which ones you use the most. ie "Heals" for a BB or Smoke for a DD. 

4b. Similar to the Premium Consumables there are also Credit versions of Camos, you might want to look into those when your around T5-7+ to see which option will best assist with min/max for your ship. 

Welcome to the high seas. 

Members
6 posts
287 battles
30 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

10 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

I knew before looking that you'd have a sub-.500 winning percentage.  How about instead of bashing someone who came here looking for help with a genuine desire to do well, you start reading some of these threads so your own game might improve?

I'd rather do what other people tell me, play better, do more damage, and support my team than "do my own thing" and be a detriment to every team I'm on.

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
24 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

I was giving him/her help.  Do your thing.  Yeah my win rate is under par, but I play may game and have fun.  I don't coddle to win rate [edited]hats.  That was my advice.  I could choose to play for wins, but I play for fun. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this