You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grflrgl

USN Cruiser Split Question

19 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,289 battles

Hi All,

I honestly haven't kept up with the USN cruiser split. I can buy the NOLA now if I want, but I haven't played USN CAs in quite a while (got distracted with other lines).

But I've seen folks talking about a split, and the importance of getting to the Baltimore. Why? Is it worth my while to grind through the NOLA quickly and get to the Balto? What's the time frame we're talking about?

Thanks.

(And I did try to search for this, but there were enough posts to make it hard to find the answer to the most basic question of all. Lots of people talking about being prepared, but none that I found mentioned why.)

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,711 posts
9,406 battles

From @AdmiralThunder,

The only ships affected, and that you need/will want to have in your port, are Cleveland, Pensacola, New Orleans, and Baltimore. If possible have the perma camo's for each as well. That should net you the most rewards and ships. As I understand it this is what the end result would be if you had all of them + perma camo's.

If you have NOW...

• T6 CL Cleveland + Camo
  • T7 CA Pensacola + Camo
  • T8 CA New Orleans + Camo
  • T9 CA Baltimore + Camo

You should end up with the following after the line splits...

• T6 CA Pensacola + Camo (2)
  • T7 CA New Orleans + Camo (2)
  • T8 CL Cleveland + Camo (1)
  • T8 CA Baltimore + Camo (2)
  • T9 CA Buffalo + Camo (1)

Extra camo's "should" get you some credit in credits but not 100% sure they are going to do the duplicate camo's. Many have said they do but I don't know for sure. Supposedly there are going to be decent Capt's with like 6-10 pts handed out as well where they are needed. Port slots will be included if needed too. Or so everyone is saying.

So have Cleveland through Baltimore with their perma camo, in your port before the line splits, for the most benefit.

• Cool 5

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles

As for time, the 'new' ships haven't been announced for testing yet, so you have some time.  It isn't gonna happen in the next month at the very least.  Keep your eyes on the forums and on the website and you'll know in plenty of time.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,289 battles

Perfect. I appreciate the info. I might even like the Pensacola if it's down a tier. I'll have the Balto in a month, so that will cover the list.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,943 battles
On 2018-02-08 at 4:56 PM, Grflrgl said:

Hi All,

I honestly haven't kept up with the USN cruiser split. I can buy the NOLA now if I want, but I haven't played USN CAs in quite a while (got distracted with other lines).

But I've seen folks talking about a split, and the importance of getting to the Baltimore. Why? Is it worth my while to grind through the NOLA quickly and get to the Balto? What's the time frame we're talking about?

Thanks.

(And I did try to search for this, but there were enough posts to make it hard to find the answer to the most basic question of all. Lots of people talking about being prepared, but none that I found mentioned why.)

Since WG is releasing a line every quarter i will say may/june/july sounds about right

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
On 2/8/2018 at 4:56 PM, Grflrgl said:

Hi All,

Thanks.

It's not critical really.  People emphasize the Baltimore to get the most "free" ships.  Since you need to grind anyways, you might as well just wait and make the T8 grind with the Balto rather than the NOLA.  Using the Balto should theortically be an easier grind because it's a more powerful ship.

Members
11 posts
2,372 battles

I am curious does this mean we may see new US Cruisers such as the Helena or the Brooklyn? These were called light cruisers but they were essentially New Orleans Class heavy cruisers with 5 x 3 turrets of 6" guns instead of 3 x 3 turrets of  9" guns. These came after the Omaha and preceded the Cleveland and would therefore make sense historically in the USN Cruiser line up.

Edited by Wydespread_panic

[AR15]
Members
419 posts
7,893 battles
1 hour ago, Wydespread_panic said:

I am curious does this mean we may see new US Cruisers such as the Helena or the Brooklyn? These were called light cruisers but they were essentially New Orleans Class heavy cruisers with 5 x 3 turrets of 6" guns instead of 3 x 3 turrets of  9" guns. These came after the Omaha and preceded the Cleveland and would therefore make sense historically in the USN Cruiser line up.

The more important question is...will they get their true rate of fire? A 6s reload would be darn impressive to see.

[CVA16]
Members
2,172 posts
9,620 battles
53 minutes ago, CBSDracster said:

The more important question is...will they get their true rate of fire? A 6s reload would be darn impressive to see.

Probably not. The Cleveland might at T8 but a 15 gun T7 with fast guns and decent (for tier) armor...way OP.  I would assume something more like what the Cleveland has now, just more guns. Maybe slightly faster ROF.

[AR15]
Members
419 posts
7,893 battles
4 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Probably not. The Cleveland might at T8 but a 15 gun T7 with fast guns and decent (for tier) armor...way OP.  I would assume something more like what the Cleveland has now, just more guns. Maybe slightly faster ROF.

They were a direct response to the Mogami-class so T8 seems more likely. We'll probably have to settle for a premium ship.

[CVA16]
Members
2,172 posts
9,620 battles
1 minute ago, CBSDracster said:

They were a direct response to the Mogami-class so T8 seems more likely. We'll probably have to settle for a premium ship.

Thought the Tier 7 was going to be a Brooklyn type. Tier 8 Cleveland. Fewer faster firing guns, better AA, radar,  2X4 torp launchers.... oh wait, may be dreaming on that last part.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
148 posts
4,901 battles
12 hours ago, Wydespread_panic said:

Okay, here is the light cruiser line:

VI: Dallas (paper ship)

VII: Helena

VIII: Cleveland

IX: Seattle (paper ship)

X: Worcester

Also, I have heard two premium rumors, VIII Wichita for the heavy line and VI Brooklyn for the light, but that is completely just a rumor. The main line above has been officially shown in teaser materials from Wargaming.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
477 posts
3,541 battles

Helena is a modified Brooklyn (St Louis).  Brooklyn herself would most likely be a Tier 7 premium, even if in original config.

7 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Okay, here is the light cruiser line:

VI: Dallas (paper ship)

VII: Helena

VIII: Cleveland

IX: Seattle (paper ship)

X: Worcester

Also, I have heard two premium rumors, VIII Wichita for the heavy line and VI Brooklyn for the light, but that is completely just a rumor. The main line above has been officially shown in teaser materials from Wargaming.

[-SYN-]
Members
6 posts
2,213 battles

Here's a question, I only started playing the game about a month ago and just recently got the Cleveland. 

Will WG just switch out my Cleveland for the Pensacola? I can't imagine they would give me the Pensacola then let me keep the Cleveland and move it to VIII.

Thanks,

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,676 battles
55 minutes ago, Duke_McGiggles said:

Here's a question, I only started playing the game about a month ago and just recently got the Cleveland. 

Will WG just switch out my Cleveland for the Pensacola? I can't imagine they would give me the Pensacola then let me keep the Cleveland and move it to VIII.

Thanks,

Most everyone expects that in your case, you will receive a Tier 8 Cleveland.

The rest is my guess, in the FWIW category.

It is likely that the Tier 8 Cleveland will be stock.  It is likely you will also receive a Tier 6 Pensacola which will inherit the Ship XP that had been on the Tier 6 Cleveland.  It may also be stock, but you should get credit for modules that had already been researched on the Tier 6 Cleveland.

The expectation is that the commander on the Tier 6 Cleveland will become specialized for the Tier 6 Pensacola and that you will receive some manner of commander on the Tier 8 Cleveland.  This could be anything from 3-8 points depending on who is guessing.  (There are some suggestions that putting your Cleveland commander in Reserve and then recruiting a 0-point commander to leave on the ship will result in the commander being specialized for the Tier 8 Cleveland when all is done.  I don't think this will work, but I plan to try it anyway.)

There are several threads containing much speculation (including much of my own) on how this will go.  Nothing is known until officially announced, nor certain until the dust settles.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,172 posts
9,620 battles
7 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

There are some suggestions that putting your Cleveland commander in Reserve and then recruiting a 0-point commander to leave on the ship will result in the commander being specialized for the Tier 8 Cleveland when all is done. 

Trying to figure out WHY WG wouldn't just move the captain with the ship? Makes no sense to stick him on the Pepsi where a properly specced captain may already exist (assuming you have one)

If it is a brand new replacement ship (i.e. you have a Cleveland but don't have a Pepsi), the new ship should get the new captain.

All speculation of course, but how would it work if you had no captain on a ship? A number of players may already be sitting on captainless ships, having moved the captain but kept the ship, or just bought back the a ship previously sold. Would you get a new, 3-8 pt captain or would you get a moved ship with no captain?

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,676 battles
5 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Trying to figure out WHY WG wouldn't just move the captain with the ship? Makes no sense to stick him on the Pepsi where a properly specced captain may already exist (assuming you have one)

If it is a brand new replacement ship (i.e. you have a Cleveland but don't have a Pepsi), the new ship should get the new captain.

All speculation of course, but how would it work if you had no captain on a ship? A number of players may already be sitting on captainless ships, having moved the captain but kept the ship, or just bought back the a ship previously sold. Would you get a new, 3-8 pt captain or would you get a moved ship with no captain?

The assumption is that the game would look at Reserve for a spec'd captain.  If none found, no changes needed.

I have no idea what will happen with the captains.  What I expect is that there will be a period of easy respec to go with the split.

Members
51 posts
1,048 battles

Brooklyn and Wichita would make a hella lot more sense than what it looks like they are doing.  I get using paper ships to fill out tech lines, but prioritizing them over actual ships is generally dumb.