Ricky_Racer

Pushing "P" Turns off Secondary's

12 comments in this topic

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles

I'm fairly new, so forgive me. Still learning.

I took my Colorado into the Training Room to test something that I observed while in battle.

I pulled up right next to one of "Bots" in the Training Room, Pushed "P" so my AA would not fire, my Secondary's stopped firing as well.

I saw this same response while in a Random Battle.

So, stopping the AA guns also stop the Secondary's?

[CVA16]
Members
2,750 posts
6,254 battles
6 minutes ago, Ricky_Racer said:

I'm fairly new, so forgive me. Still learning.

I took my Colorado into the Training Room to test something that I observed while in battle.

I pulled up right next to one of "Bots" in the Training Room, Pushed "P" so my AA would not fire, my Secondary's stopped firing as well.

I saw this same response while in a Random Battle.

So, stopping the AA guns also stop the Secondary's?

Yes, don't feel bad. I was at about 1,000 games when I figured that one out and it was by accident!

Members
218 posts

wow, glad i read this. I turn them back on when a plane spots me but good to know this.

Edited by wildcat18

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles
1 minute ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Yes, don't feel bad. I was at about 1,000 games when I figured that one out and it was by accident!

All this time, the little Airplane Logo that pops up after pushing "P" gave me the impression it only stopped the AA guns.

Thanks.

[POP]
Members
1,229 posts
8,090 battles

In general, I would never turn off AA (or secondaries) on cruisers or battleships. By the time planes spot you, you're likely to have been spotted by destroyers anyway. 

There are very few destroyers in the game (maybe only 1), that even has secondary guns. The only time I turn of AA in a DD is if there is a DD nearby and I'm not in smoke or planning to smoke. Or I'm in a DD with such a pathetic AA that I never even bother to turn it on. 

I recall one match in a Isokaze, I had a squadron of fighters sitting over me for like 5 minutes and I killed one plane. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,342 posts
9,433 battles

It's very useful in an Atlanta if the enemy CV is doing a snipe-around.

Just sit there at spawn with the 'P' AA shut off...  waiting...  closer... closer...

Then when the range is inescapable, hit 'P' 'T' 'M' and start focusing on torpedo bombers first, dive bombers second, fighters third.

Troll out in 'all' chat..  "Those were tasty!  Please send more!".

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles
3 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

when the range is inescapable, hit 'P'

You can do the same thing by clicking on a priority target , say that first squadron of torp bombers .  This what I do when ambushing in my Atlanta then hitting 'T' and 'M' . And I say in all chat " Fresh planes ! Send more planes ! " in parody of the zombies from one of the original Living Dead  movies .  

:Smile_honoring:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,342 posts
9,433 battles
15 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

You can do the same thing by clicking on a priority target , say that first squadron of torp bombers .  This what I do when ambushing in my Atlanta then hitting 'T' and 'M' . And I say in all chat " Fresh planes ! Send more planes ! " in parody of the zombies from one of the original Living Dead  movies .  

:Smile_honoring:

But with the AFT mod, your AA range is huge.  With AA turned on, the CV op gets a warning right away -- 'Squad 3 Under Fire'...   causes them to look...  ooooohh  Atlanta...   Back Away NOW..

But with the AA turned off; no warning...    and they get so far in, impossible to back away before imminent and complete extinction.

I use this whenever I'm not busy with something else.  Otherwise, the planes just evaporate on their way in.  Even T9 planes are munchy Atlanta food.

I've played with the captain skill to focus AA fire.  I advise against it on the Atlanta.  If you get busy and can't keep up with selecting, you will get sunk in a hurry. 

Like 'Manual Secondary's skill focuses fire to one ship, you can actually shoot secondary's from both sides if you don't have that captain skill.

Edit:  one can still focus on planes or ships by selecting them..  It's just not as focused as the manual captain skills.

Edited by AVR_Project

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,296 battles
9 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

But with the AFT mod, your AA range is huge.  With AA turned on, the CV op gets a warning right away -- 'Squad 3 Under Fire'...   causes them to look...  ooooohh  Atlanta...   Back Away NOW..

But with the AA turned off; no warning...    and they get so far in, impossible to back away before imminent and complete extinction.

I use this whenever I'm not busy with something else.  Otherwise, the planes just evaporate on their way in.  Even T9 planes are munchy Atlanta food.

I've played with the captain skill to focus AA fire.  I advise against it on the Atlanta.  If you get busy and can't keep up with selecting, you will get sunk in a hurry. 

Like 'Manual Secondary's skill focuses fire to one ship, you can actually shoot secondary's from both sides if you don't have that captain skill.

What that person was trying to tell you is that you can save a keystroke by using focus fire.  While having your AA off, you can wait for your moment, then focus fire select the torp bombers, and that action alone also turns on your AA.

I found this out by accident, as I wanted to set some planes up for focus fire before turning on my AA, but as soon as I selected my target, AA started up as well.

Oh, and focus fire is not the same as manual control for AA (the capt. skill)  Anyone can use focus fire for planes or ships.  It just tells your AA/secondaries to focus that group or planes or ship over other targets.  For secondaries, the other side will still fire at whatever targets are available, but the side with the focused target will fire all the guns it can on the focused target, ignoring other ships for the time being.

Edited by DreadRaybo

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles

Thanks. Great help.

I guess this response, or even thread should be put into another Topic. (I thought it was a bug) Sorry.

I have another question though.

Do Secondary's fire at planes? Especially the Torpedo planes? And if they don't, Why not?

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles
4 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

What that person was trying to tell you is that you can save a keystroke by using focus fire.  While having your AA off, you can wait for your moment, then focus fire select the torp bombers, and that action alone also turns on your AA.

I found this out by accident, as I wanted to set some planes up for focus fire before turning on my AA, but as soon as I selected my target, AA started up as well.

I learned about "Focus Fire" on planes. Use it all the time. In fact, this is how I came upon when pushing "P" , I noticed my Secondary's being turned off. Which, at the time, I just happened to be in smoke in my Battleship and an enemy DD drifted close, I said, "Oh sh%&" cause I thought my Secondary's would open up. He never saw me. I guess if they had, I would have been seen.

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,296 battles

Some secondaries do, if they are dual purpose.  But the way they have it set up is that the AA aspect of those guns does not prevent them from firing as secondaries as well.  They will do both at the same time.