Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sventex

Is there any defense against the Russian Doomsday Torpedo?

111 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,435
[REVY]
Members
6,026 posts
5,102 battles

Apart from Mutual Assured Destruction, is there any defense from Russia's Doomsday Kanyon Torpedo?  It seem capable of twice the power of the Tsar Bomba, at 100,000,000 tons of TNT.  Kanyon is designed to attack coastal areas, destroying cities, naval bases, and ports. The mega-bomb would also generate an artificial tsunami that would surge inland, spreading radioactive contamination with the advancing water. To make matters worse there are reports the warhead is “salted” with the radioactive isotope Cobalt-60. Contaminated areas would be off-limits to humanity for up to 100 years.  The Kanyon was designed to get around American ballistic missile defenses, primarily the Ground-Based Interceptor missiles based in Alaska and California, so the question is, can this weapon be intercepted before it reached it's target?

gallery-1481232242-86647100-5d7a016c-0fe

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a15227656/pentagon-document-confirms-existence-of-russian-doomsday-torpedo/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,046
Alpha Tester
4,754 posts
2,411 battles

Detect it in advance and shoot it down before it gets too close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,229 posts
6,722 battles
1 minute ago, 1Sherman said:

Detect it in advance and shoot it down before it gets too close.

Well since the US doesn’t have any (known)hard-kill measures for torpedoes especially not at that speed how do you propose to do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,046
Alpha Tester
4,754 posts
2,411 battles
Just now, JohnPJones said:

Well since the US doesn’t have any (known)hard-kill measures for torpedoes especially not at that speed how do you propose to do that?

States are developing a super-cavitating torpedo, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
426
[-BRS-]
Members
1,610 posts
13,245 battles

Well the only defense is a good offense and sink the torpedo launcher before it gets close enough that's why you track all ships as they leave ports

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
387
[POP]
Members
1,229 posts
8,075 battles

First, it would to have a range of about 200 miles... or the firing sub would be destroyed as well. 

Second, Since it has such a range, it would have to be huge. In the event of a war, the coastal area would be seeded with ships, sonobouys, MAD equipped planes, etc. I suspect that if you dropped a depth charge near it, you'd get a mission kill pretty easily. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,229 posts
6,722 battles
56 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

States are developing a super-cavitating torpedo, right?

Not that I’m aware of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,229 posts
6,722 battles
55 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

Well the only defense is a good offense and sink the torpedo launcher before it gets close enough that's why you track all ships as they leave ports

How do you propose to track a sub leaving from port after it submerges?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,229 posts
6,722 battles
16 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

First, it would to have a range of about 200 miles... or the firing sub would be destroyed as well. 

Second, Since it has such a range, it would have to be huge. In the event of a war, the coastal area would be seeded with ships, sonobouys, MAD equipped planes, etc. I suspect that if you dropped a depth charge near it, you'd get a mission kill pretty easily. 

We have depth charges?

evenn if we did that doesn’t help us protect against a first strike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,229 posts
6,722 battles
Just now, silverdahc said:

That's National secret but they do it all the time

Right...that’s why a Chinese sub popped up a few miles from a carrier in the middle of the battle group unexpectedly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
426
[-BRS-]
Members
1,610 posts
13,245 battles

Nothing protects you against the first strike except for intelligence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,229 posts
6,722 battles
Just now, silverdahc said:

Nothing protects you against the first strike except for intelligence

Aerial first strike we can shoot down. With no reliable torpedo counter measures particularly hard kill, we cannot protect ourselves at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
299
[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,998 posts

Sink the submarine before it gets close enough. But it's a moot point considering such a weapon would only be used when we're already flinging nukes at each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
426
[-BRS-]
Members
1,610 posts
13,245 battles

Yeah maybe we can shoot some of them down but with stealth Warheads there's no guarantee and if you want to Nuke the shoreline installations you better believe that's why we have MAD as a option

When you're talkin nukes it's a no-win

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
426
[-BRS-]
Members
1,610 posts
13,245 battles

And besides nukes aren't the problem it's the biological that we really need to worry about cuz anybody can create that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,801 battles
1 hour ago, JohnPJones said:

Well since the US doesn’t have any (known)hard-kill measures for torpedoes especially not at that speed how do you propose to do that?

Bend down, grab you ankles and take it like a man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
387
[POP]
Members
1,229 posts
8,075 battles
47 minutes ago, JohnPJones said:

We have depth charges?

evenn if we did that doesn’t help us protect against a first strike 

Sure, we still have depth charges. At least we did 15-20 years ago. I'm pretty sure we still have ships with ASROC... which is also nuclear capable. And there's SUBROC, which is an anti-sub nuclear depth carge (launched from a ballistic missile, but still).

It's technically possible. Is it likely on a first strike? Maybe not. But if you have a nuclear weapon launching sub that close to your major seaports, shipping lanes, and capital... well... maybe you deserve to be destroyed so that someone competent can take over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[POP]
Members
842 posts
9,505 battles
7 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

Sure, we still have depth charges. At least we did 15-20 years ago. I'm pretty sure we still have ships with ASROC... which is also nuclear capable. And there's SUBROC, which is an anti-sub nuclear depth carge (launched from a ballistic missile, but still).

It's technically possible. Is it likely on a first strike? Maybe not. But if you have a nuclear weapon launching sub that close to your major seaports, shipping lanes, and capital... well... maybe you deserve to be destroyed so that someone competent can take over. 

Wait..I think I know what will happen to the fleet when that depth charge goes off...
 

water nuke.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
387
[POP]
Members
1,229 posts
8,075 battles
4 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

Wait..I think I know what will happen to the fleet when that depth charge goes off...
 

water nuke.gif

True... but think about what's going to happen to the sub that launches that doomsday torpedo. 

Unless that torp has a range of about 200 miles, everything that is in the water when it goes off will be destroyed... including the launching ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,435
[REVY]
Members
6,026 posts
5,102 battles
9 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

True... but think about what's going to happen to the sub that launches that doomsday torpedo. 

Unless that torp has a range of about 200 miles, everything that is in the water when it goes off will be destroyed... including the launching ship. 

It is claimed that the launch vehicle, Kanyon, is a submarine drone with a range of 6,200 miles and a speed of 100kts.

Edited by Sventex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

It's been a few months since I looked into this.

Detection while at sea.

Spies to let us know when it leaves.

Steal plans to find out a defense.

Create one of our own and park it off their coast.

 

USA is about to get an influx of cash for the military. I'm sure something is already in the works.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
387
[POP]
Members
1,229 posts
8,075 battles
7 minutes ago, Sventex said:

It is claimed that the launch vehicle, Kanyon, is a submarine drone with a range of 6,200 miles and a speed of 100kts.

They can claim whatever they want. I don't think it likely. In another report I read, the top speed was 56 knots, which seems a lot more reasonable. 

It's interesting that they are designing (and maybe building) and entire nuclear reactor for a one-shop mission. 

Of course, the other reports also indicate that there are only two subs capable of carrying it, so it would be really easy to keep track of those subs. Satellites for watching the berths and subs to follow them. Then use a spearfish or something faster to destroy the torp. 

At max range, it'll take 3-4 days to get to a target. Stealthy, sure. Deep sure. Navigating the ocean, by itself, for 3 days. And I still think that a ASROC would take care of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×