You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

This is why we cap, people

49 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,043 posts
8,585 battles

It never ceases to amaze me how many players ignore caps, even those who have played over a thousand games and are playing mid- to high-tier ships. In this game, my team did relatively little damage, I myself did very little damage. However we capped all the caps and easily won on points while the enemy, for some reason, seemed to abhor the caps with a passion. I sank the only ship of theirs that even tried to defend a cap.

cap.jpg.7a4ea9773406d11dbbe92343210fccb9.jpg 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

Members
2,092 posts
8,095 battles

One very common misconception is that DDs are the only ones who should be in the caps. Cruisers and BBs sit farther back and leave the DDs alone. The DD then also joins the crowd and ignores the cap

• Cool 1

Members
634 posts
4,153 battles

I've seen 6+ ships sitting just outside a cap with a single DD, a cruiser and a BB holding everyone off the cap. Frustrating to no end. On the other hand, it's pure joy to have a pub team push through a cap together and roll into the red team's flank while they're taking their time on the other side of the map.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,219 posts
8,804 battles
1 minute ago, Destroyer_Zekamashi said:

One very common misconception is that DDs are the only ones who should be in the caps. Cruisers and BBs sit farther back and leave the DDs alone. The DD then also joins the crowd and ignores the cap

Initially at match start that is correct but as the match goes on it becomes every ships job to cap. I have capped and defended caps with battleships.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,609 posts
13,240 battles

Yeah many think that is the primary job of their Destroyers and  is mostly true but it is awesome to have a team to support that Destroyer also because then he can push to the next cap and not die

Most of my winning games are when people help their little brothers

[CVA16]
Members
2,750 posts
6,251 battles
18 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I have capped and defended caps with battleships.

Do that quite often. It also tends to draw red ships to you.

Members
756 posts
15,482 battles

I have several videos on youtube about capping, and doing it correctly.

This is one of my more dramatic caps. My team held two for most of the match and I grabbed the third before sailing around an island as the timer ticked....

pJe8odP.png

Edited by theLaalaa
  • Boring 1

[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,801 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many players ignore caps, even those who have played over a thousand games and are playing mid- to high-tier ships. In this game, my team did relatively little damage, I myself did very little damage. However we capped all the caps and easily won on points while the enemy, for some reason, seemed to abhor the caps with a passion. I sank the only ship of theirs that even tried to defend a cap.

cap.jpg.7a4ea9773406d11dbbe92343210fccb9.jpg 

Your point is valid. I love to brawl, but getting a cap is more important Snarg. Gives the team a back-up.

[WSU]
Members
17 posts
16,069 battles

Oh how many times I've held a cap for more than 5mins alone in a DD. Then once I've been best-ed by a Red someone complains that the DD's stink or did nothing. Sigh tis the life

• Cool 2

[CAST]
Members
1,401 posts
5,815 battles
1 hour ago, Jiggiwatt said:

I've seen 6+ ships sitting just outside a cap with a single DD, a cruiser and a BB holding everyone off the cap. Frustrating to no end. On the other hand, it's pure joy to have a pub team push through a cap together and roll into the red team's flank while they're taking their time on the other side of the map.

I've seen 6+ ships sitting just outside a cap with absolutely nothing holding them off the cap.  But they're all so busy trying to snipe the battleships 18km away that they can't be bothered to look at things like the game score, time remaining, or the fact that all red ships are spotted and none are anywhere near them. :Smile_facepalm:

Agreed on the second point.  I experienced one of the rarest of things in WoWs Randoms yesterday: my team pushed aggressively into and through the caps on Two Brothers and won a points victory without losing a single friendly ship.  :cap_wander:

[PSP]
Members
6,043 posts
8,585 battles
5 minutes ago, Harv72b said:

I've seen 6+ ships sitting just outside a cap with absolutely nothing holding them off the cap.  But they're all so busy trying to snipe the battleships 18km away that they can't be bothered to look at things like the game score, time remaining, or the fact that all red ships are spotted and none are anywhere near them. :Smile_facepalm:

I had been sunk myself but was trying to get a player to capture a circle yesterday. He was in a cruiser just outside a cap that the enemy controlled, yet he refused to enter it. I know he heard me because he was telling me to shut up because I was dead. He sailed away from the cap, chasing another cruiser, which he never caught as before he got within in range the game ended and the enemy won by the few points we would have won by had he only sat in the cap and stopped the points accruing.

To many don't really play the WOWS game. All they do is drive around and "pew pew pew" at other ships.  

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3

Alpha Tester
2,731 posts
4,352 battles

The mindset seems to have, to a degree, carried over from Tanks. Objectives bad, kills good...

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
5,828 posts
3,984 battles
10 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

All they do is drive around and "pew pew pew" at other ships.  

They had too many games early in their careers that ended with the entire enemy team dead. Since this also wins you the game, irrespective of point scores, they become fixated on this strategy. Which is fine WHEN IT WORKS.

• Cool 1

[EREKT]
Members
768 posts
5,781 battles

what about the opposite senario? when you're trying to cap but you can't, because a BB wandered in and it keeps getting reset every time they get hit?

• Cool 1

[7RET]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
114 posts
6,277 battles

It should just be his contribution to the cap that gets reset, yours would still tick down. Has this changed and I didn't notice?

Members
756 posts
15,482 battles

The cap clock is set back (not necessarily to start, but some seconds) for friendlies leaving cap or getting hit while in the cap.

Alpha Tester
2,731 posts
4,352 battles

Getting hit while in cap only deduct from THAT ship, not the overall process. You can do the full-60 second by yourself with that BB drawing fire and keeping the enemy at a distance.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,219 posts
8,804 battles
4 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

Getting hit while in cap only deduct from THAT ship, not the overall process. You can do the full-60 second by yourself with that BB drawing fire and keeping the enemy at a distance.

This, if there are more than one ship capping to stop it your team needs to be hitting all of them.

Members
4,145 posts

I get it occasionally, and usually I'm in a slow moving US BB, and already heading there.  I mean really, what else can I do, teleport there?  Or the cap is full of enemy ships and it would be me vs all of them.

Edited by Wowzery

[7RET]
114 posts
6,277 battles

My issue is when everyone expects the DD to immediately cap as if it's their only function. That's an easy way to get into trouble with some of the mid-tier Pan Asians with so-so guns.

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,404 posts
11,837 battles

The game has changes at the upper tiers since launch   Much increasing difficulty for DD drivers, and we DD drivers are tired of sinking for the team.   BB's and CA's their ships can do more ...  much more ... 

A bit more early aggressiveness in support of the teams DD's would not be out of order for to many matches! 

also tired of going out and spotting many many many enemy ships that don't get shot at.  I know I'd cap a lot more often if the teams ships would press up behind me and take their chances and opportunties.

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff
  • Cool 1

[7RET]
114 posts
6,277 battles
1 minute ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

The game has changes at the upper tiers since launch   Much increasing difficulty for DD drivers, and we DD drivers are tired of sinking for the team when the BB's and CA's their ships can do more ...  much more ...  

also tired of going out and spotting many many many enemy ships that don't get shot at.  I know I'd cap a lot more often if the teams ships would press up behind me and take their chances..

Agreed

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
25 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

I'm not sure this is correct, as I've been capping in a DD with a cruiser and / or BB also in the cap drawing fire, and every time they're hit the counter jumps up again. It seems like if I accumulated all the points the other ships lost I would have had enough to take the cap without counting my own capping points.