Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheCricketMan

What am I missing?

28 comments in this topic

Members
30 posts
936 battles

I am fairly new, but it seems like most of my team in random battles simply hides as long as they can in the back of the map. Is there a hidden game of hide and seek?  Do you get points for not getting hit a single time or never firing your guns?

I don't see how that would be fun ...  what is the point or rational behind all of the hiders?  I mean in real life I would understand....  but in WOW it seems completely pointless.

Usually I wind up by myself deep in enemy territory, rest of my team hiding on the other side of the map...  even the red team usually flees once I start shooting (so it is not just my team).  Usually I can take out half their fleet before someone gets a lucky shot on me.  If I could just get one or 2 ships to engage in the battle with me....    we would completely destroy the enemy.  I would like to see the maps shrunken down considerably ....  (think cage match)  or have some penalty assessed to players that shoot guns zero times and get hit zero times.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles

I've reviewed your post history and you're quite the storyteller.

That's all I have to say in this thread.  I'm sure you'll have fun responding to all the posters on their way who are going to take you seriously.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,024 battles
16 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

That's all I have to say in this thread.  I'm sure you'll have fun responding to all the posters on their way who are going to take you seriously.

OOOOOOH QUICK QUICK DO ME DO ME!

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles

Its all relative perception, I think.

If you always find yourself ahead of your support and in the jaws of the bad guys, that's more a you problem than an everyone-else problem. This game isn't a race to see who can yolo back to port the quickest. This is a slow-paced strategy game, it's about finding / making openings and exploiting them, it's about capitalizing on the mistakes of the enemy team.

Here's how some of the absolute best players and teams in the world play this game. They don't yolo in, outstripping all their support.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles
59 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

After reading this I decided to look for myself and oh boy, I do believe you have quite the repertoire when it comes to opinions XD 

42 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

OOOOOOH QUICK QUICK DO ME DO ME!

HEY I DID YOU YAY EVERYONE WINS HAVE A COOKIE

Members
30 posts
936 battles

I understand what you are saying about not outrunning your support...  and I have learned that lesson the hard way and still need to remind myself to be aware.  I am talking about when we are all together heading toward a cap .. see enemy contacts, and I engage them....   then when I check where my teammates are in an attempt not to outrun support...   the are heading off in full flight the opposite direction with full afterburners.  I hang around and watch... and I just see them go hide and wait until the other team wins.    That is what I don't understand.  Sometimes right at the start of the game, the ships go hide immediately.   No I'm not saying I am the best player in Wow...  I have played against 2 guys so far that were better than me.  I have no problem admitting that.  Plus there are probably a few in the upper tiers I haven't played yet.  So at this point I am probably top 10 ....  but not the best.

Edited by TheCricketMan
add
  • Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
2 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Well I look at the OP posts. All that was needed thanks Brhinosaurus for the heads up.

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Bad 1

Members
30 posts
936 battles
2 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well I look at the OP posts. All that was needed thanks Brhinosaurus for the heads up.

Chaos ... I got your name now.  Better hope you don't play me, you will be deleted.  I am gunning for you!  You are on my list.   Same goes for you Beebersaurus

• Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
Just now, TheCricketMan said:

Chaos ... I got your name now.  Better hope you don't play me, you will be deleted.  I am gunning for you!  You are on my list.   Same goes for you Beebersaurus

LOL:cap_haloween: Ohh I am so scared:cap_haloween:, you do know this is a game right, even if we do met and you do sink me IT WILL NOT AFFECT ME IN REAL LIFE!!!!!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,460 posts
8,723 battles

To be honest, what you are missing, Cricket, is a good dose of reality.  The problem here is that you clearly think the game is supposed to be, in your own words, a "cage match."  Thus, you charge in expecting the entire game to be a brawl.  As a result, this skews your perception of both what your team is doing and how well you are doing.

For instance, it is pretty easy to determine whether or not you are "usually" killing "half" the enemy team as you claim.  There are 12 players per team.  Half the  team is 6.  We can check your stats and see that your max killed is 5, which is close to half the enemy team, but we can also see that this is not even close to a usual occurrence.  You have a total of 147 games.  Even we take 5 kills to mean half the team and we are generous and accept one third (instead of at least half) of your games as "usually," you would have to have a minimum of 245 ships killed overall without even counting the ships killed in the other two-thirds of your games.  However, your total ships killed in all battles is only 86.  The reality is that you are averaging only about half a ship per battle with an average of .59 kills per battle, not half their team.

That is not meant to "stat shame" you in any way.  You are doing slightly above average as far as win rate goes, and, in destroyers, you are doing fairly well.  However, you are not "usually" killing half the enemy team by any stretch of the imagination.

The simple truth seems to be that you are yoloing because you think that brawling is fun and how the game "should" be played.  As a result, you are only surviving 15% of the battles you enter.  That might be acceptable if you were taking a lot of ships with you, but you are only killing .88 ships for every one time you die.  That is not the fault of your team.  That is a problem with you expecting the game to be a cage match, playing it that way, and blaming others for not supporting you.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
2 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

To be honest, what you are missing, Cricket, is a good dose of reality.  The problem here is that you clearly think the game is supposed to be, in your own words, a "cage match."  Thus, you charge in expecting the entire game to be a brawl.  As a result, this skews your perception of both what your team is doing and how well you are doing.

For instance, it is pretty easy to determine whether or not you are "usually" killing "half" the enemy team as you claim.  There are 12 players per team.  Half the  team is 6.  We can check your stats and see that your max killed is 5, which is close to half the enemy team, but we can also see that this is not even close to a usual occurrence.  You have a total of 147 games.  Even we take 5 kills to mean half the team and we are generous and accept one third (instead of at least half) of your games as "usually," you would have to have a minimum of 245 ships killed overall without even counting the ships killed in the other two-thirds of your games.  However, your total ships killed in all battles is only 86.  The reality is that you are averaging only about half a ship per battle with an average of .59 kills per battle, not half their team.

That is not meant to "stat shame" you in any way.  You are doing slightly above average as far as win rate goes, and, in destroyers, you are doing fairly well.  However, you are not "usually" killing half the enemy team by any stretch of the imagination.

The simple truth seems to be that you are yoloing because you think that brawling is fun and how the game "should" be played.  As a result, you are only surviving 15% of the battles you enter.  That might be acceptable if you were taking a lot of ships with you, but you are only killing .88 ships for every one time you die.  That is not the fault of your team.  That is a problem with you expecting the game to be a cage match, playing it that way, and blaming others for not supporting you.

Well said, Well said indeed +1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,602 posts
13,156 battles

I see a lot of games lately where when one ship on one side of the map does a 90-degree Turning Heads to the opposite side for some reason I see a lot of campers that never move forward so I do understand your perception

The sad thing is if you can group up your team and do a unified push it does work but a lot of players are worried about being the lead ship and dying first and truly I can understand that yet it is frustrating to see how bad the strategy is on some games you can almost tell right away if you're going to win or lose

• Cool 1

Members
30 posts
936 battles

ok Sotaudi, I appreciate the feedback.... all good points.  perhaps I need to try some different tactics.  perhaps I don't fully understand/appreciate the strategy part of wow enough  just yet.  some of the funnest  games were in low tiers where there are like 10 ships all inside a cap just wildly brawling.   I suppose that is just caused by noobs...  and as you go to higher tiers you need patience more than aggressiveness.  

Members
30 posts
936 battles
10 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

LOL:cap_haloween: Ohh I am so scared:cap_haloween:, you do know this is a game right, even if we do met and you do sink me IT WILL NOT AFFECT ME IN REAL LIFE!!!!!

haha   I don't care about real life.   I will smash to bits in Wow!!!!!   that's all I meant.

• Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
3 minutes ago, TheCricketMan said:

haha   I don't care about real life.   I will smash to bits in Wow!!!!!   that's all I meant.

Okay sure have fun with that thought.:Smile_honoring:

You see I have been playing for a year now, you know many times I have been sunk? So saying you are " I am gunning for you!" just makes me LoL:cap_haloween:

Edited by Chaos_EN2

Members
30 posts
936 battles
7 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Okay sure have fun with that thought.:Smile_honoring:

You see I have been playing for a year now, you know many times I have been sunk? So saying you are " I am gunning for you!" just makes me LoL:cap_haloween:

I don't care....  after I sink you I will unload a salvo of torps on your broken and sinking hull just for good measure.

You mess with the bull....  you gonna get the horn!

Edited by TheCricketMan
add
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
Just now, TheCricketMan said:

I don't care....  after I sink you I will unload a salvo of torps on your broken and sinking hull just for good measure.

You so funny:cap_haloween:

Beta Testers
1,460 posts
8,723 battles
17 minutes ago, TheCricketMan said:

ok Sotaudi, I appreciate the feedback.... all good points.  perhaps I need to try some different tactics.  perhaps I don't fully understand/appreciate the strategy part of wow enough  just yet.  some of the funnest  games were in low tiers where there are like 10 ships all inside a cap just wildly brawling.   I suppose that is just caused by noobs...  and as you go to higher tiers you need patience more than aggressiveness.  

I appreciate your willingness to listen.  Also, don't get me wrong.  Even when you do everything right, there will be teams that won't push when it is the right time to push, teams with people who sit in the back and snipe in ships that are not well suited to that game play, and so on.  I am not even saying that there is no place for brawling.  It is definitely part of the game.

However, as Lert mentioned, the game is, by nature, much slower paced than a game like WoT. It requires thinking ahead more because it takes so much longer to get into position, and because of the overall slow speed of the ships, it dangerous to be caught in the wrong position.

You are only 147 games in and already at Tier 5.  Keep in mind that there is no prize for getting to Tier 10 the fastest.  Also keep in mind that the ships at higher tiers are even more deadly, meaning mistakes get punished so much quicker.  In many ways, this means that people tend to hang back even more at higher tiers.

You are doing fairly well.  Give yourself time to learn the mechanics before pushing too far ahead in tiers.  Get to appreciate the slower pace of the game and adapt your playstyle to the game rather than, as we all do, expecting the game to adapt to you.  You can still brawl, but make sure it is the right time.

Members
17,676 posts
5,084 battles
33 minutes ago, TheCricketMan said:

How long will they have to wait for you to get out of the kiddie pool?

Edit: nvm, I get the approach lol.

Edited by Skpstr

Beta Testers
1,460 posts
8,723 battles

Also, it is obvious what you mean when you refer to "WOW," but keep in mind that World of Warcraft has been around for almost a decade and a half now, and has been referred to as "WOW" during all that time.  Not that anyone would think you were referring to Warcraft, but the better acronym for this game is "WOWS."

• Cool 1

Members
30 posts
936 battles
13 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

How long will they have to wait for you to get out of the kiddie pool?

Edit: nvm, I get the approach lol.

probably a while...lol.  It was easy to blow through the first few tiers...  now not so much.  Players aren't as dumb as they were in lower tiers....  definitely getting harder.

Members
30 posts
936 battles
24 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

I appreciate your willingness to listen.  Also, don't get me wrong.  Even when you do everything right, there will be teams that won't push when it is the right time to push, teams with people who sit in the back and snipe in ships that are not well suited to that game play, and so on.  I am not even saying that there is no place for brawling.  It is definitely part of the game.

However, as Lert mentioned, the game is, by nature, much slower paced than a game like WoT. It requires thinking ahead more because it takes so much longer to get into position, and because of the overall slow speed of the ships, it dangerous to be caught in the wrong position.

You are only 147 games in and already at Tier 5.  Keep in mind that there is no prize for getting to Tier 10 the fastest.  Also keep in mind that the ships at higher tiers are even more deadly, meaning mistakes get punished so much quicker.  In many ways, this means that people tend to hang back even more at higher tiers.

You are doing fairly well.  Give yourself time to learn the mechanics before pushing too far ahead in tiers.  Get to appreciate the slower pace of the game and adapt your playstyle to the game rather than, as we all do, expecting the game to adapt to you.  You can still brawl, but make sure it is the right time.

I was just trying to get to the next higher tier...  perhaps I just need to stick with a ship and learn better tactics.   I don't know how to see the stats... but it seems like 90% of the time when I don't get killed.... my team wins.  So maybe I need to focus on not getting killed.  I am not intentionally yoloing but trying to cap as fast as possible.....   which yes does turn into yoloing.   Any ideas or strategies on capping at start of game...  other than going straight at?  I have been going straight at it...  which leads to either an easy cap...  or a brawl (usually by myself) which is less successful as the tiers are higher.

never plaid wow or wot....  not sure if that helps or hurts.

Edited by TheCricketMan
add

Sign in to follow this