You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JackG79

Can some of the long time players help me pick out a premium boat?

157 comments in this topic

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles

Hey Guys!! 

Been playing about a week now.  just about to level 14 and I have a couple tier 5's unlocked.  But have not purchased them... (Port slots rather than credits are my issue right now)  I have almost 10 million cred's, but i'm out of slots till I can grab some gold. 

My question is this....    it seems that most people did their ship reviews when the game was in Beta.  So I have watched  several reviews that made the ships sound amazing...  The Atlanta,  The Sims,  and a Russian ship who's name escapes me...    Only to find out that now... (a few years later)  those ships have been beaten with the nerf bat.   And are no longer the power house that they were when their review was done by whomever.    I'am looking to buy a premium ship but I am having a very hard time, as it seems that all the good stuff that I find in reviews is either nerfed, or simply no longer available for sale in the prem. shop.     

Can someone who knows what has been nerfed and what has been buffed lead me in the direction of a good prem. boat  that is currently available?   I enjoy American, German, and British lines, but would not rule out any line if it came with a good reccomendation.   I want this premium mostly for credits and exp. reasons. 

I'm sorry if this has been done to death,  I just feel like a cat chasing it's tail watching old reviews of ships, to fid out they are no longer what they used to be, and are no longer available.   

Thanks  Gents: 

Jack 

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles

I'd suggest playing the regular tech tree tiers for a while yet, figure out what ship class and nation you like, and then explore premiums along those lines.  You mentioned some nations but not if you like destroyers, cruisers, etc.

I'm terrible in high tier battleships.  I just got the Missouri and turns out I'm terrible in premium high tier battleships too.

I like USN DDs though, and I can wreck faces in the Sims (it's still great, even if mechanics have changed since it was first introduced).  I wish I had bought a Kidd when it came out, now I'm waiting for it to come back.

[AK-47]
Members
149 posts
3,084 battles

I would suggest to continue to play with what you have for now. I only been playing since dec 2017. Was gonna buy a premium but seen some of the better ones aren't for sale rn. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts
6 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

Hey Guys!! 

Been playing about a week now.  just about to level 14 and I have a couple tier 5's unlocked.  But have not purchased them... (Port slots rather than credits are my issue right now)  I have almost 10 million cred's, but i'm out of slots till I can grab some gold. 

My question is this....    it seems that most people did their ship reviews when the game was in Beta.  So I have watched  several reviews that made the ships sound amazing...  The Atlanta,  The Sims,  and a Russian ship who's name escapes me...    Only to find out that now... (a few years later)  those ships have been beaten with the nerf bat.   And are no longer the power house that they were when their review was done by whomever.    I'am looking to buy a premium ship but I am having a very hard time, as it seems that all the good stuff that I find in reviews is either nerfed, or simply no longer available for sale in the prem. shop.     

Can someone who knows what has been nerfed and what has been buffed lead me in the direction of a good prem. boat  that is currently available?   I enjoy American, German, and British lines, but would not rule out any line if it came with a good reccomendation.   I want this premium mostly for credits and exp. reasons. 

I'm sorry if this has been done to death,  I just feel like a cat chasing it's tail watching old reviews of ships, to fid out they are no longer what they used to be, and are no longer available.   

Thanks  Gents: 

Jack 

You just missed out on some good ones.  You also didn't say what type of ships you prefer.  But here's what I would recommend now:

Graf Spee - An awesome, and forgiving heavy cruiser with Heal.

Alabama - A fantastic US battleship, that can print some serious credits when played well.

If you have enough elite XP to convert (which I'm guessing maybe not), you could drop some serious cash to get the Missouri.  She's the gold standard of credit generation.  I think she is still available through the end of the month.

Honestly though, if you're looking for credits, and can't get Missouri, Alabama might be your best bet.  It's tough at Tier 8 though.  It will take you a lot of games to master her.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
69 posts
4,249 battles
1 minute ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I'd suggest playing the regular tech tree tiers for a while yet, figure out what ship class and nation you like, and then explore premiums along those lines.  You mentioned some nations but not if you like destroyers, cruisers, etc

This. I would suggest getting up to T7 in several multiple lines to see what you do and don't like playing. You don't want to waste money buying a premium ship that you're bad at and/or don't really like playing. Instead, if you're committed to sticking with the game, purchase some premium time. 

Once  you're at about 750-1000 battles, then maybe start looking at buying premium ships.

• Cool 1

[7RET]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
114 posts
6,250 battles
3 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

You just missed out on some good ones.  You also didn't say what type of ships you prefer.  But here's what I would recommend now:

Alabama - A fantastic US battleship, that can print some serious credits when played well.

If you have enough elite XP to convert (which I'm guessing maybe not), you could drop some serious cash to get the Missouri.  She's the gold standard of credit generation.  I think she is still available through the end of the month.

Honestly though, if you're looking for credits, and can't get Missouri, Alabama might be your best bet.  It's tough a Tier 8 though.  It will take you a lot of games to master her.

I agree with all of the above, however I would also add in the Tirpitz and the Dunkerque. All of these are of varying play styles and have great credit earning potential. I also enjoy the Hood and the Leningrad but I can see how people would have trouble with them. I still have to say I think that the Alabama is my favorite.

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

For a new player such as yourself, I would not recommend getting premium ship above tier 7.  You could start working your way toward Nelson, it is a solid premium.

• Cool 1

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles
1 minute ago, TheDreadnought said:

Honestly though, if you're looking for credits, and can't get Missouri, Alabama might be your best bet.  It's tough a Tier 8 though.  It will take you a lot of games to master her.

Yes, I looked at the Alabama and it did't look bad, but since i'm not at tier 8 I didn't want to yet go up that far.   Unfortunatly I do not have the free xp for the Mo or I would go that route.  I am noticing a trend in this game of coming up with some great ships only to pull or change them.   I hope that I am wrong, and it is just something that I happened upon, and that it is not regular practice. (Nobody likes the old Bait and Switch LoL ).  But i'll keep my eyes opened. 

I actuallly enjoy the Destroyers, Cruisers, and Battleships about equally, I don't care for Carriers much as I have not spent enough time on them to even say so.   

I did look at the Graf Spee,  And the Tirpitz  Once at tier 8 t hat Tirpitz looks fun.  is the Tirpitz considered a good ship? 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,438 posts
6,631 battles
5 minutes ago, Zarroc1 said:

This. I would suggest getting up to T7 in several multiple lines to see what you do and don't like playing. You don't want to waste money buying a premium ship that you're bad at and/or don't really like playing. Instead, if you're committed to sticking with the game, purchase some premium time. 

Once  you're at about 750-1000 battles, then maybe start looking at buying premium ships.

sensible advice!

[7RET]
114 posts
6,250 battles
Just now, JackG79 said:

Yes, I looked at the Alabama and it did't look bad, but since i'm not at tier 8 I didn't want to yet go up that far.   Unfortunatly I do not have the free xp for the Mo or I would go that route.  I am noticing a trend in this game of coming up with some great ships only to pull or change them.   I hope that I am wrong, and it is just something that I happened upon, and that it is not regular practice. (Nobody likes the old Bait and Switch LoL ).  But i'll keep my eyes opened. 

I actuallly enjoy the Destroyers, Cruisers, and Battleships about equally, I don't care for Carriers much as I have not spent enough time on them to even say so.   

I did look at the Graf Spee,  And the Tirpitz  Once at tier 8 t hat Tirpitz looks fun.  is the Tirpitz considered a good ship? 

The Tirpitz is a great ship. It has the secondaries of the Bismarck with the addition of torpedos for close range defense.

• Cool 1

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles
1 minute ago, nuttybiscuit said:

sensible advice!

I have a year of premium time. 

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
10,871 battles

If you are looking at premiums, try to stick with tier VI or below until you get better in the game and you won’t be forking out too much cash. The ones currently in the shop that I’ve enjoyed are the Dunkerque, the Graf Spee, the Molotov and the Perth.  

Since the premiums can be used to train/retrain captains, look for a premium that can train a captain for lines you want to grind (for instance the Dunkerque for the new French Battleship line coming out).

Don’t go to higher tiers until you get a better hang of the game and are sure you want to continue. 

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
1 minute ago, JackG79 said:

Tirptiz is a good ship, but it could be situational when uptiered.  I can’t recommended it over Alabama.

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles

Thank you guys for the help!  It's nice to have a community to turn to when things get confusing.  

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,438 posts
6,631 battles
Just now, JackG79 said:

I have a year of premium time. 

Good, but I remember the 1st ever premium I bought, I had around 300 battles, I bought the tier 8 Atago, then supposed to be one of the best cruisers in the game/ What do you think happened?

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles

Grab your Tier 5's, especially if they are destroyers, sacrificing some tier 1's if you have to (you can get them back for basically nothing later if you really want). IIRC a series of destroyer-limited missions is about to open that will enable you to WIN a Tier 6 French premium destroyer (details available tomorrow).

Failing that, some general advice.

Don't ask what you want; ask why you want it. Is it a ship that interests you historically for some reason? Then there is no better reason than WANT (subject to affordability).

However, you also need to look at what you already have in terms of ship TYPES and NATIONS, and which ones you intend to proceed with to higher tiers first. Aside from historical interest, one reason people buy premium ships is because they can retrain their captains in them (ask what this means if you don't yet know). For this, you need (absolutely) a premium ship of the same nation, and it is better (though not essential) to have a premium ship of the same type (cruiser, destroyer, carrier, battleship). So this also may inform your choice.

Many if not all premium ships come with their own premium camouflage which offers XP and/or cash bonuses, depending on the ship. Research is required depending on your personal preference.

The rest is for you to decide for yourself, or to bring back here for further discussion.

The fact that many of the reviews were written an age ago when the ships were not quite the same and the captain skills tree was radically different is, I agree, a pain. But much of it still holds, and there are plenty of vids out there on individual ships that were made more recently, and can give you the flavour of what they are like.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles
Just now, nuttybiscuit said:

Good, but I remember the 1st ever premium I bought, I had around 300 battles, I bought the tier 8 Atago, then supposed to be one of the best cruisers in the game/ What do you think happened?

Hence the reason for this post.  I want to find something closer to my tier of play  that is currently available  It does not have to be a high tier ship, as was said above.. tier 7 or under is just fine. I'll check out the ones listed. !!!

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
22 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

Hey Guys!! 

Thanks  Gents: 

Jack 

Go no higher in a premium than tier 6 as this is the fun cut off point especially for maps.

The reviews are normally very wrong as the last 3 premium ships i have bought turned out to be garbage.

If you decide on a ship to buy pm me first before buying it.

Molotov is a great ship.

Edited by abyssofthetriffid
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Alpha Tester
2,713 posts
4,273 battles

Whatever nation you play most and as high of tier as you can go (i.e. can afford)...

Members
91 posts
1,723 battles
1 minute ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Go no higher in a premium than tier 6 as this is the fun cut off point especially for maps.

The reviews are normally very wrong as the last 3 premium ships i have bought turned out to be garbage.

It sounds like you went down the road I am trying to avoid.  THank you for this! i'll check out the tier 5's and 6's that people listed above and ill PM u before i pull the trigger on one! 

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
Just now, JackG79 said:

It sounds like you went down the road I am trying to avoid.  THank you for this! i'll check out the tier 5's and 6's that people listed above and ill PM u before i pull the trigger on one! 

I like the molotov.

Members
2,274 posts
7,301 battles
21 minutes ago, JackG79 said:

So far none. You only got up to T4 ships. wait a little more so you can see what do you like to play more, BBs, crusiers or DDs. Also, dont buy a ship o higher tier than you are used to play. Dont jump tiers, its bad for both you and your team. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,307 posts
11,399 battles

In game gold purchase from tech tree:

Alabama, Terpitz, Kii, De  Grasse.  These are solid almost noob friendly. 

Duca , Leningrad, Sims and Bliss take skill to play well, but are solid choices.

For premium shop:

Roma, HSF Harekaze.

Note:

Kii is an Amagi with thinner citadel so she is a mid range to long range sniper.

Duca is only good with 14 point captain. You need concealment and IFHE.

Sims has additional commnder exp bonus over other premium ships.

Roma guns are very RNG. Her armor can bounce Yammy shells,( I've done it twice from 13 km and 300 meters)

Caveats:

Game play is VERY different in tiers 6 to 7 and again at tiers 8 to 10.

I have 98% of all premiums..

Good luck on the high seas.

[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles

No shinnyhorse suggestion? Shame on you guys

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,307 posts
11,399 battles
11 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Molotov is a great ship.

Reason I didn' t recommed Molotov is it is easy to delete if you cannot play her good. Her turning radius and slow rudder would probably frustrate OP.