Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Uptiering during a mission/campaign: what would you do?

11 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,793 posts
3,942 battles

Let's take a simple, stepwise campaign like the one late last year for the Vampire as an example. You are free-to-play, with all port slots full but with only one ship high tier enough to be eligible for the missions and no Elite Commander XP or vast reserves of free XP (or none that you are willing to spend on retraining). You are halfway through the grind for your highest tier ship, for which its captain is fully trained. A massive XP grind lies in front of you, then some more tasks. Naturally you take your best, most powerful ship into this XP grind. Either partway through or at the end, you find that you have (as a result) also finished the grind for that ship and you have more than enough silver to buy its successor. (You never thought you'd get there, but the lure of a premium drove you on and made you forget just how much you had to do.)

The follow-up tasks lie ahead. The only ships which are eligible for them are the one you just finished grinding and its successor which you have fortuitously unlocked. That successor is substantially more powerful and capable and represents a real shift in capability (think Emerald to Leander, or Leander to Fiji). You are loath to dump anything from another port slot because you love them all. Do you...

a) Continue on with the ship you have; you're familiar with it, your captain is fully trained, and you're on a roll.

b) Trade up, moving your captain (or one from another ship in the same nation if you have it) and accepting the loss of efficacy of some skills. The grind you have yet to complete will get him retrained soon enough, and the ship is that much better that it justifies the de-skilled captain.

c) Bite the bullet and dump one of your other ships. Trade up, paying the small price for a one-point captain who can take whatever one-point skill you feel is appropriate. Now you have TWO ships eligible for the grind and can cycle between them, albeit one of those ships is not at its best.

Quite probably none of these answers is wrong. Any of them may be just as acceptable as another. This is as much a conversation-starter as anything else. However, DISCLOSURE: I am looking at the DD-only missions Dasha hinted at to win an Aigle, and thinking that if it's anything like the Vampire mission and if US T5's aren't ineligible, it's going to finish the grind through the Nicholas for me. (If T4 destroyers are also eligible, it could end up finishing my T4-5 Pan-Asian grind instead, or as well, depending on how long it is and what the tasks are.) I am actually perfectly happy in the Nicholas and ordinarily I would trundle along in it without a care... but if I arrive somewhat early at the Farragut in the course of doing something else, I have a decision to make and a captain to (maybe) move up. Or maybe not.

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

sell  a T1 ship? you can always buy those back for free

or just buy port slot

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I would just buy a port slot at that point and do the grind on the newest ship supplemented with some battles in the ship you just finished. 

[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles

I would buy the next ship, keep the previous one with its captain for PvP and do Co-op battles with the new one whenever I die early in a battle. Regarding the Farragut however, in order to be somewhat competitive you just need the B hull for the hp/maneuverability boost and to keep the 5 turrets. Then torps I guess since the  range upgrade wont matter with the floaty shells. So you are looking at a 6.8k xp grind to make your ship acceptable which isn't much imo. Of course you could argue that the T8 battles in Farragut can be pretty tough, but thats just how it goes :Smile_hiding:

[ARGSY]
Members
5,793 posts
3,942 battles
15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You are free-to-play,

Just a reminder for those advising the purchase of a port slot.

In actuality I dumped a couple of ships I don't play much, but the longer this goes on, the harder it's going to get.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[ARGSY]
Members
5,793 posts
3,942 battles
3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Of course you could argue that the T8 battles in Farragut can be pretty tough, but thats just how it goes

It's a tradeoff, isn't it - T8 in a T6 ship versus T7 in a T5 ship.

FWIW I find the uptiering much less painful in the Nicholas than I did in the Emerald, but I can't be sure whether this is because of ship type & flexibility or the battle experience I've gained since. FYI my Nicholas is currently at full upgrade, so I have the floaty shells (or at least the Nicholas's variant of them).

IIRC the only reason you want the Farragut C hull is because it's an obligatory stepping stone on the way to Tier 7; research, but do not mount.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
146 posts
6,052 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Just a reminder for those advising the purchase of a port slot.

In actuality I dumped a couple of ships I don't play much, but the longer this goes on, the harder it's going to get.

If you choose the "Credits" crate when you get them, they have a chance to give you a port slot. Over time that will help you get slots without paying for them.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
498 posts
4,086 battles

Depends on the tiers we are taking about. At tiers 5 and under I would probably go with option B. Tiers 6 and up I would go options C or A.

For example, my Mogami. I had always planned on keeping her and my Captain was specked for a CL so when I finished Myoko and unlocked Mogami I moved everything. Now when I unlock Ibuki, I will move a different Captain, specked for a CA, into it while keeping the Mogami as is. 

If I was in the middle of a mission I would continue in Mogami and worry about Ibuki later.  If I was in a Phoenix I would move to Omaha to finish it.

MeanwhileI kept Myoko because I have a lot of fun in it and I am using it to train my future Ibuki Captain (I don't have an IJN premium and am not terribly interested in one of them).

Edited by MasterDiggs

[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's a tradeoff, isn't it - T8 in a T6 ship versus T7 in a T5 ship.

FWIW I find the uptiering much less painful in the Nicholas than I did in the Emerald, but I can't be sure whether this is because of ship type & flexibility or the battle experience I've gained since. FYI my Nicholas is currently at full upgrade, so I have the floaty shells (or at least the Nicholas's variant of them).

IIRC the only reason you want the Farragut C hull is because it's an obligatory stepping stone on the way to Tier 7; research, but do not mount.

Of course its a tradeoff, but the thing with T8 and T6 ships is that the armor of most ships starts changing  as ship technology advances ingame. With the 127mm that the whole USN DD line uses after T5 you have 127/6=21.166mm of HE pen. At tier 8 many ships get 25mm of deck armor if memory serves correct all over the ship with the exception of the superstructure. So the fact that you will have to keep on nailing the superstructure is an added difficulty when entering T8 battles. However, having played the Farragut myself for quite a bit I can assure you its pretty comfortable as a grind, especially after getting Concealment Expert too.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,793 posts
3,942 battles
2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

So the fact that you will have to keep on nailing the superstructure is an added difficulty when entering T8 battles.

As an RN cruiser main this is pretty much a fact of life for me, but thanks for the warning.

5 minutes ago, Drago25x said:

If you choose the "Credits" crate when you get them, they have a chance to give you a port slot. Over time that will help you get slots without paying for them.

Oh, do they now? Hmmm. Thank you VERY much for that hint.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I've gotten lot of port slot from loot boxes.     even TYL now.  (rare though)  

Sign in to follow this