You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
A_Crying_Hipster

ZERO excuse for dying before ten min (less detonation)

135 comments in this topic

Members
567 posts
75 battles

For the rather vocal group of folks that still don't get it... 

Outside of the very rare detonation which is pure lottery, if you find yourself dead before half the battle is over, it is 100% your fault. You and ONLY you are responsible for the health of your ship and maintaining proper equilibrium between aggression and conservation where you are contributing effectively toward the win while also making sure you're alive during the second half of the battle to continue doing so when it really counts. 

There is not a single unicum player who dies before ten min 50% or more of the time for a reason. Blaming the team for not supporting is the biggest sign of a loser because 99% of the time they never waited for a verbal confirmation from team mates before suiciding themselves. And F keys don't count. Someone emoting 'affirmative' can simply be hitting the wrong emote or even simply meaning "I hear ya" which does not translate to "I'm dropping everything and coming to help." Nor did they perform a performance history check to see if the player(s) who appear to be supporting in the nearby area are actually proven to be capable of doing so. And support does not mean taking the role of your guardian for the duration of the match. You must pay attention to the minimap and adjust BEFORE the support comes to an end which could be just a couple minutes after asking for it if the environment calls for tactical retreat. 

Winner: Immediately internally reflects on the decisions they made during the match, declares (even if just talking to themselves) where they went wrong and what they should have done to achieve a better outcome. And stamps it in their memory to execute in the future. 

Loser: Immediately generates rationalizations as to who is to blame for their circumstances. Fanatically believes they did nothing wrong and made all the right choices. And will validate that bias by being sure to make the same bad decisions in the future without having the awareness to recognize the pattern of repeated failure. 

Without voice communication and a sophisticated team of clan mates, 'support' is little more than a wish that is rarely granted. Success comes from taking personal accountability and being self-reliant. If you lack the awareness to help yourself, you're going to be very ineffective in helping others, so it's hypocritical to ask for support. 

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster
  • Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 32
  • Angry 1

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles

OP, you have played very few battles (at least on this account). Half of those battles were in the early "protected" game mode. In fact, some people play as many battles as you have in two or three days. Play some more games, and play them right, and you will oftentimes find yourselves in situations where you intentionally or inadvertently find yourself being sunk in the first few minutes of the game.

Case in point:

If there are no DDs on the team and no CVs then who scouts? Someone has to and the scout oftentimes finds himself targeted by several of the enemy team, who then delete him while his team has the opportunity to fire back.   

• Cool 2

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,203 posts
6,433 battles

So I guess I should apologize to those high Tier Battleships that never left the spawn...

• Funny 4

[WOLFB]
Members
1,646 posts
8,016 battles

Guess what, even unicum can die in the first 10 min.

Usually DD are the first one to die for doing their job. You go in a cap expecting one or 2 ship coming. You contest the cap then get radar and you find the entire ennemi team targeting you and sinking you. The only mistake you made was entering in the cap.

Dying the first 10 min doesn't always mean you made a mistake, it can also mean you were unlucky 

• Cool 8

[HYDRO]
Members
1,299 posts
3,653 battles
20 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Usually DD are the first one to die for doing their job. You go in a cap expecting one or 2 ship coming. You contest the cap then get radar and you find the entire ennemi team targeting you and sinking you. The only mistake you made was entering in the cap.

Dying the first 10 min doesn't always mean you made a mistake, it can also mean you were unlucky 

Exactly same with a cruiser that wants to creep towards a cap and support the DD in capping but gets deleted by a BB.  I dont see any point in the OP really...

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,788 battles

The crux of what you're saying is correct, at least in regards to how a "winning" (I would say "improving") player behaves vs. what a "losing" ("stagnant") player does.  The problem that people are going to have with your post is due to the aggressive word choice and number of absolutes included by a player with 71 logged PvP matches, none above tier V. 

No matter how good a player is, at higher tiers there are going to be games where you die within the first few minutes through no real fault of your own (nor fault of your teammates): when the enemy Midway just happens to fly his entire strike package over your Yugumo while you're on the way to a cap & instantly deletes you, or your Chapayev gets spotted for just a couple of seconds while scampering between two islands and takes a triple citadel from an unspotted Yamato 25km away, for example.  Or, as was almost the case for me last night, when your Shimakaze gets radar'd during an early B attempt and you discover the hard way that one of the islands on the new map is rendered about two ship-widths away from where it actually is (the radar timed out before they could finish me off).

In short, yes--always reflect on how you died and what better decisions you could have made to avoid that death.  But early deaths in a match are not nearly as black and white as you made out here.

Members
321 posts
307 battles

Normally that`s the life of the Russian DD, specially top tiers. You get around cap where your "teammmates" (Emphasis on caps) tell you to go, get spotted by the whole enemy team, on fire and incapacitated before even turning around and out, Meanwhile your "cover" (caps again) is hurrying behind an island trying to keep unseen.

Edited by Patosentado

[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,767 battles
1 hour ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Outside of the very rare detonation which is pure lottery, if you find yourself dead before half the battle is over, it is 100% your fault. You and ONLY you are responsible for the health of your ship and maintaining proper equilibrium between aggression and conservation where you are contributing effectively toward the win while also making sure you're alive during the second half of the battle to continue doing so when it really counts. 

There is not a single unicum player who dies before ten min 50% or more of the time for a reason. Blaming the team for not supporting is the biggest sign of a loser because 99% of the time they never waited for a verbal confirmation from team mates before suiciding themselves. And F keys don't count. Someone emoting 'affirmative' can simply be hitting the wrong emote or even simply meaning "I hear ya" which does not translate to "I'm dropping everything and coming to help." Nor did they perform a performance history check to see if the player(s) who appear to be supporting in the nearby area are actually proven to be capable of doing so. And support does not mean taking the role of your guardian for the duration of the match. You must pay attention to the minimap and adjust BEFORE the support comes to an end which could be just a couple minutes after asking for it if the environment calls for tactical retreat. 

Winner: Immediately internally reflects on the decisions they made during the match, declares (even if just talking to themselves) where they went wrong and what they should have done to achieve a better outcome. And stamps it in their memory to execute in the future. 

Loser: Immediately generates rationalizations as to who is to blame for their circumstances. Fanatically believes they did nothing wrong and made all the right choices. And will validate that bias by being sure to make the same bad decisions in the future without having the awareness to recognize the pattern of repeated failure. 

Without voice communication and a sophisticated team of clan mates, 'support' is little more than a wish that is rarely granted. Success comes from taking personal accountability and being self-reliant. If you lack the awareness to help yourself, you're going to be very ineffective in helping others, so it's hypocritical to ask for support. 

Supply proof of the above or go change your diaper.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Members
6,619 posts
25,230 battles

Indeed. I remember fondly a couple years ago or so.

My first battle in Nürnberg, opening bell rings, and I move sideways in spawn to get to a flank. A Fuso obliterates me, 1 shot, broadside from the other side of the map (no detonation), just 12 well placed and lucky shots. Total life time: 1 minute. Yes,totally my fault of course.

My first battle ever in Shimakaze, Positioning to scout the middle of the map in open water. Hakuryu seems me with a DB and two TBs. Perfect cross-drop. Gone. Total life in game: 3 minutes. Totally my fault of course, no skill on his part.

OP, GMAB. These things happen.

Edited by alexf24

[ARGSY]
Members
5,712 posts
3,894 battles

OP, your user name says it all. If I'm ever the one who obliterates you in the first ten minutes, I'm going to remind you of this post.

• Funny 1

[GLF]
Beta Testers
520 posts
10,383 battles
2 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Nor did they perform a performance history check to see if the player(s) who appear to be supporting in the nearby area are actually proven to be capable of doing so.

Not everyone uses the non-client cheats (XVM type programs)

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[VFW]
Members
899 posts
20,621 battles

Trolling post by the OP.   As been stated, OP has very little game time or has re-rolled his account (which is worst).

vr,

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,500 battles

you don't know how high tier IJN CV work against DDs without DFAA then

Members
17,689 posts
5,084 battles
2 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Yes, but what he said is that if you dies in the first 10 min. more than 50% of the time.

I'll admit I don't really play DD, so can't comment on that. But CA/BB, he's right. Sure, everybody will have games where you die quickly. But if it happens all the time, you're doing something wrong.

It may be something as simple as not realising your own limitations. I tend to play somewhat cautiously at the beginning of a match, because there's too much potential fire that can come from too many angles for me to keep track of. If I don't wait until things thin out a bit, I typically die early. If I stay cautious, (and that doesn't mean running and hiding, just means being support fire and not being the easiest target) then when it is time to get aggressive, I pretty much know where everyone is and where I'm best used, and can play accordingly. 

Not that it always works out that way, but usually any time I survive the first 10 minutes (even 8) I do much better personally, and win more often, mainly because I'm still alive and helping out.

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,403 battles

Not entirely true but you have your point.

If players want to get better, they need to learn how to stay alive and how to decipher teammates' intention.

[PVE]
Members
493 posts
4,066 battles
3 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

OP

I get your rationale, but I disagree on the sentiment that dying before 10 minutes is only acceptable if you are detonated.

If I think I can take a couple of DDs with me or keep a bunch of reds out of the cap for a good amount of time I will take that trade-off because it helps the team. Of course I tend to not cry about it and simply jump out to start the next battle after my glorious death.

Edited by MasterDiggs

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles

Curious how the OP dodges 50 Torps like you occasionally see all at the same time aimed at you in tier X on some occasions.... :fish_book:

( 6 DDs plus a CV all wanting your Yamato dead all at the same time lol )

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
4 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

You are expecting random pubs to show signs of intelligence? Anyone who doesnt have a silver league tag (at the very least) isnt worth relying on, with a few exceptions here and there of course.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,712 posts
3,894 battles
4 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

Anyone who doesnt have a silver league tag (at the very least) isnt worth relying on

I think this is going a bit far, but at the same time I also think it's fair to say that Horatio Nelson's comment on his own captains that "the same spirit motivates the whole profession" cannot be applied across the entire population of WOWS players. 

[INTEL]
Members
741 posts
7,855 battles
35 minutes ago, Exciton8964 said:

Not entirely true but you have your point.

If players want to get better, they need to learn how to stay alive and how to decipher teammates' intention.

I've been trying to learn that skill but it seems I'm handicapped by my inability to get my head that far into a dark stinky place.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,293 battles
49 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Yes, but what he said is that if you dies in the first 10 min. more than 50% of the time.

I'll admit I don't really play DD, so can't comment on that. But CA/BB, he's right. Sure, everybody will have games where you die quickly. But if it happens all the time, you're doing something wrong.

It may be something as simple as not realising your own limitations. I tend to play somewhat cautiously at the beginning of a match, because there's too much potential fire that can come from too many angles for me to keep track of. If I don't wait until things thin out a bit, I typically die early. If I stay cautious, (and that doesn't mean running and hiding, just means being support fire and not being the easiest target) then when it is time to get aggressive, I pretty much know where everyone is and where I'm best used, and can play accordingly. 

Not that it always works out that way, but usually any time I survive the first 10 minutes (even 8) I do much better personally, and win more often, mainly because I'm still alive and helping out.

Do you see what happens when we translate the OP from an unsought-for pronouncement, dictated from a podium by someone with either the extensive experience of a 75-game career or the inherent credibility of a reroll, to a humble word of advice from someone who admits that he, too, makes mistakes?  It almost begins to sound reasonable.