You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MandoWarrior1

Citadels

21 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
543 posts
65 battles

Where are they located? Way back in beta, they were the turrets((under water I know)) and middle section.... but im not hitting them even at 5km. I dont understand. Did they change citadels since I last played which was when German BB's first game out?

Im getting a bit irrated now as I cant reliable hit citadels anymore... im aiming at cruisers mid section under the water but im hitting nothing but metal. Aim I Overpenetrating? I dont think the tier 7 German BB can overpenetrate with its tiny guns... so whats going on?

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles

what are you in,  who are you shooting at? 

every ship's citadel setup is different

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,331 battles
1 minute ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

Where are they located? Way back in beta, they were the turrets((under water I know)) and middle section.... but im not hitting them even at 5km. I dont understand. Did they change citadels since I last played which was when German BB's first game out?

All BB except IJN BB have underwater citadel. 

Beta Testers
543 posts
65 battles
Just now, jason199506 said:

what are you in,  who are you shooting at? 

every ship's citadel setup is different

Ah. Well damn. It meeans I need to learn every single ship. Dont remmeber what I was shooting at but im playing the tier 7 German BB... the non premium. I was aiming right in the middle and im doing barely any damage... Im using AP of course and im like.... this is kind of a butt of a ship. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

use your targeting reticle horizontal line place it so the water washes over it line up your shot and fire this one trick has netted me at least 3-4 cits per game

[CPU]
[CPU]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
275 posts
5,004 battles

not enough info

are you a bb shooting another bb?  Theres ingame armor model you can look at.

Beta Testers
543 posts
65 battles
1 minute ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

use your targeting reticle horizontal line place it so the water washes over it line up your shot and fire this one trick has netted me at least 3-4 cits per game

Ok so I need to aim for under the water and pray dispersion. Ill try this. its been a long time. 

Members
1,881 posts
9,093 battles
2 minutes ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

Ok so I need to aim for under the water and pray dispersion. Ill try this. its been a long time. 

With Germans I like to aim just above the water and count on dispersion to send half the shells under the water. With Gnies though you don't have many shells.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

use your targeting reticle horizontal line place it so the water washes over it line up your shot and fire this one trick has netted me at least 3-4 cits per game.

Place the horizontal site line at the ships silhouette so the line is washed over by water but not submerged fire at the center mass anywhere behind the front turret and last turret the closer to the smoke stack the better. This trick works at 12 km and below

Edited by CLUCH_CARGO

[CPU]
[CPU]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
275 posts
5,004 battles

You can also jump into a training room now and try to find the citadels if your not a fan of the armor model.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,496 battles

Nothing wrong with Gneisenau's guns, they're the same as Bismarck has at Tier 8.  Just aim better and pray for good dispersion.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,331 battles
6 minutes ago, TalesOfNepgear said:

You can also jump into a training room now and try to find the citadels if your not a fan of the armor model.

^ This.

Beta Testers
543 posts
65 battles
10 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Nothing wrong with Gneisenau's guns, they're the same as Bismarck has at Tier 8.  Just aim better and pray for good dispersion.

I just watched my dispersion at 8 km, go ABOVE the ship I was aiming at. Yea... this thing is absolute crap. I wish i was recording so I could get some explantions.... 

I watch my shells go underneath the ship Im aiming at. Waterline is not working for the Gnei. 

Members
1,853 posts
17,674 battles
48 minutes ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

I just watched my dispersion at 8 km, go ABOVE the ship I was aiming at. Yea... this thing is absolute crap. I wish i was recording so I could get some explantions.... 

I watch my shells go underneath the ship Im aiming at. Waterline is not working for the Gnei. 

You can set up to have replays recorded in the game files...forget the procedure as it's been a long time since I've set mine up (& a buddy helped me w/it so don't remember the procedure exactly) but I'm sure someone can easily talk you through it that knows how to do it.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,333 posts
6,609 battles
2 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

A Nelson was heard crying in the distance

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
559 posts

check out the armour profiles for the ships in port

shot-18_02.08_19_52.15-0703.thumb.jpg.768445aa006c652452905d4b9eb50179.jpg

there it is! repeat for other ships you want to know about (assuming they havent been removed from tree or shop)

Members
229 posts
1,088 battles
2 hours ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

Ah you get that, I fired a full broadside at a Bismarck in my New Mexico earlier, perfectly side on, slow moving, clueless target, all 12 shells missed at 7k... Just splashed around or flew over, dispersion from hell.. 

• Funny 1

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,535 battles
5 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Italian BB citadels are also above water.

5 hours ago, MandoWarrior1 said:

im aiming at cruisers mid section under the water but im hitting nothing but metal. Aim I Overpenetrating? I dont think the tier 7 German BB can overpenetrate with its tiny guns... so whats going on?

Do you have the alternate display up? It would tell you if you over-penned, shattered, or bounced shells.

[HINON]
Members
9,056 posts

Bear in mind that at really close range like 5km your arc for shells are more likely to go above the citadel. Often the sweet spot is a bit further out so it will have more downward arc to go into the citadel.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,331 battles
16 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Italian BB citadels are also above water.

Do you have the alternate display up? It would tell you if you over-penned, shattered, or bounced shells.

19 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

A Nelson was heard crying in the distance

For a more detailed explanation since I wrote this quickly without entering much into detail:

All US and IJN BB from low to high-mid tier have their citadel above the water line. Once you reach Iowa as US BB, you see your citadel underwater. It's not unreachable but you tend to "only" get full pen instead of citadel. Montana on the other hand has his citadel deep underwater. Cruiser can no longer cit her (unless she's showing the perfect angle and RNG says yes) but BB can still cit her if she's showing broadside.

IJN BB have their cit above the water line but some BB (like Amagi) have a kinda turtleback armor, meaning if you angle properly you bounce shell. Kongou, Fusou, Nagato, Izumo and Yamato are basically floating cit for any BB who catches their broadside. 

German BB have their cit deep underwater and thick armor so they are basically immune to citadel. There is one weakness though, under the gun and if you manage to score a hit on this specific point, you can basically cit them. But hitting this point is really rare so no real point aiming here.

All RN BB has their cit deep underwater, which mean cit them is almost impossible. The only exception are Hood, Warspite and Nelson. But considering this BB line has weak armor, BB shouldn't have issue damaging those ship. 

Dunkerke also has his citadel above the water line (you have no reason to show your broadside in this ship though so it shouldn't be an issue) and so far, Roma and Gulio Ceasare also have raised citadel. I don't really know about Tirpitz citadel

And I guess I covered most BB.