Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
sasquatch_research

FDG, Round#2?

13 comments in this topic

Members
1,513 posts
7,984 battles

Hey 

As many of you know I absolutely hated the FDG which gives me pause to try it again, but a division partner just got the Musashi and maybe it would be fun.  I took my old captain and put it into my Tirpitz for a full manual secondary build (16 pts) and so far it's been fun but very situational to call it great.   If I do the FDG; is it worth making it a full secondary build or make it more of a brawler with Dam. control 1, maybe DC2.  Fire Prevention.  For T9/10 is BFT, AFT worthwhile since you don't see that many carriers but more camping BB's shooting at range, which is not my play style.  I had issues with the durability of the FDG in the past and did have BFT/AFT/SI/AR, not to mention crap guns (I had it fully upgraded with 420's then).   Looking for suggestions on ship and captain (16pt).  Is it even worth trying a second time?

Pete

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,284 battles

I still play my FDG, and have it with the full secondary build.  But I went back to the 406's.  They just feel better to me.  They reload faster, don't seem to overpen as much, and seem to get more citadels.  Could be bias confirmation on my part, or simply because they reload faster.  But maybe give the 406's a try for say 10 games or so and see what you think.

Members
1,513 posts
7,984 battles
52 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

I still play my FDG, and have it with the full secondary build.  But I went back to the 406's.  They just feel better to me.  They reload faster, don't seem to overpen as much, and seem to get more citadels.  Could be bias confirmation on my part, or simply because they reload faster.  But maybe give the 406's a try for say 10 games or so and see what you think.

Hey

As I have said on other threads on this gun issue; I saw no real difference between the average damage from the 406's versus the 420's.  I felt the higher reload (406's) was a better fit than having the supposed higher damage of the 420's, I just never saw the advantage of the bigger guns.  I'm just trying to decide if I want to go down that expensive road again.

Pete

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,284 battles

Sorry, don't recall seeing any of your other posts.  You only mentioned the 420's on your original post here.

Members
1,513 posts
7,984 battles
3 hours ago, DreadRaybo said:

Sorry, don't recall seeing any of your other posts.  You only mentioned the 420's on your original post here.

Hey

That's ok, just look at any of the other threads on the FDG, and you will find my dislike of the ship.  LOL

pete

Members
842 posts

I run it with a modifed tank build:  AFT and FP, but no BFT or MFCSG.   I'm planning on putting on BoS when I get to the GFK, as I'm retiring the FDG (being the pretty-crappy ship it is).

captFDG.png

Members
1,513 posts
7,984 battles
8 hours ago, EAnybody said:

I run it with a modifed tank build:  AFT and FP, but no BFT or MFCSG.   I'm planning on putting on BoS when I get to the GFK, as I'm retiring the FDG (being the pretty-crappy ship it is).

captFDG.png

Hey

That is pretty much what I was thinking, minus the Basics of Survivability since I only have a 16pt to put in it.  I was also thinking about just using a full secondary build like I have now BUT with T9/10 MM and gameplay, you rarely get into brawling secondary gun range since so many people just camp and snipe from range..>>BORING!  This ship is garbage, and for what it costs to get it fully upgraded, one could get several boats in the T7/8 range and maybe have more fun.  Still toying with it.

Pete

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles

I'm running pretty much a full secondary build and the 406's.  I have enjoyed playing pretty much every German BB until the FDG, and still play my Tirpitz and Scharnhorst quite a bit.  However, I'm just trying to grind through at this point.  It seems the feedback on the GK is that it's worth the effort.

Members
842 posts

I'm 20k XP from the GKF, and I'll be selling the FDG immediately. I didn't even bother to research the 420mm guns OR the range increase - I can't see how either would have any positive impact on the FDG's performance.

I rather enjoy all the German BBs, and I'm not a real BB player. But the FDG is definitely the low point in the line, and it's pretty much garbage in the current meta.  The 4x2 turret arrangement is inferior to the 3x3 one, and the FDG's massive size means it eats pens all over the place, instead of the overpens that are much more common on other BBs.  The slightly larger HP pool isn't sufficient enough to compensate for the massive increase in pens compared to an Iowa or Izumo.  Not to mention that a blind deaf and dumb gunnery officer using moonshot guns can still hit you 9 out of 10 times at 10km.

Here's my module build:

modulesFDG.jpg.637c5c8b3cffe5bf0f64be148cb8a1bf.jpg

I would test out whether you feel the Aiming Systems is better than the Secondary Battery for you.  With just AFT and no SBM1, the secondaries have a 10.1km range; with AFT+SBM1, it's 12.0km

Members
1,513 posts
7,984 battles
On 2/8/2018 at 1:20 AM, EAnybody said:

captFDG.png

Hey

That is exactly the captain skills I am planning at the moment (PM instead of PT) 16 points now.  I also decided to do away with a secondary build as it was too situational to be good all the time and the main guns suffer for it and you lose Superintendent unless you have a 19pt captain.  I forgot how sluggish the rudder is even with steering gears, still debating on the 420's versus the 406's.  

Pete

Members
1,513 posts
7,984 battles

Hey

So far this is proving to be the biggest MISTAKE yet, buying the FDG a second time to give it a second chance .  Game 1 with 420's, a big 44K damage with no sunk ships, no citadels,  before getting deleted.  Game 2:  ZERO DAMAGE, used the 406's at 14 km RN BB, 2 salvo's, no hits.  Got torpedoed by a DD that I never saw and could not maneuver out of the way, then he sent a second set which flooded me out because again it couldn't get out of it's own shadow, hydro was up but useless due to being so sluggish.  My hatred of this ship continues.  I have found either complete misses of the guns at mid range, or bounces, or shooting cruisers, nothing but overpens and misses.  I don't remember the rudder shift being so bad, but even with steering gears you cannot maneuver this thing, especially if a DD is in the area.  Both the 406 and the 420's are utter garbage for do damage consistently even when broadside as they are likely to miss, the range is pathetic at 20.3, rate of fire is ok but the consistency of the guns is the issue,  turret rotation is very slow even with EM, and if your more than 1v1, you cannot count on your armor/HP to pull you through.  This is still the worst ship that I have played, it even beats out the Indianapolis for being garbage.   I regret buying this ship back at this point, and the GK can't be worth this!  Not worth the heavy investment into it and in captain skills.  

Game #3:  Was in the 40K range, I feel like there was little I could have done differently to get much more out of it.  At one point I had a broadside Iowa at 12km, and got 5 out of 8 420mm shells to bounce for no damage, really!  I had a Tirpitz at about 6 km, bow on, I shot AP at the superstructure for 3.5K damage, 8 rounds fired.  I wonder if I shouldn't just XP the GK (although I don't have the credits to buys it, since I have just over 300K XP on hand now.  But do I really want the GK, since it has the same 420mm guns, same German dispersion, bigger, more sluggish, same lackluster, boring game play?

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research

Members
842 posts
On 2/10/2018 at 12:50 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

That is exactly the captain skills I am planning at the moment (PM instead of PT) 16 points now.  I also decided to do away with a secondary build as it was too situational to be good all the time and the main guns suffer for it and you lose Superintendent unless you have a 19pt captain.  I forgot how sluggish the rudder is even with steering gears, still debating on the 420's versus the 406's.  

Pete

PM isn't worth it at all.

It doesn't increase the survivability of your AA or Secondaries. It only increases your Engine, Turret, Rudder (and, torps, but you don't have them).  Main Armaments Mod 1 is more than sufficient here.

PT is almost required, as you need to know how many people are targeting you since you're so massive and it takes so long to get away.

I found I took SI before BoS, and it's worked out OK, since I have all the other anti-Fire modules installed.

But, hey, I just finished the grind, and now have a GKF.  Sold the FDG immediately. Couldn't be happier.

Members
1,513 posts
7,984 battles

Hey

Two days ago I had my best game in the FDG since buying her back.  161,725 damage, 2 ships sunk on Ocean Map, earned Confederate and Dreadnaught, winning team.

Pete

Sign in to follow this