Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Have CVs become more powerful?

11 comments in this topic

Members
228 posts
1,077 battles

I started playing this game again last month after a looong break. Seemed to have noticed that CV's have become a lot more lethal since my return. Especially the torp bombers. When I used to play a lumbering BB it seemed to work (sometimes ) if you kept trying to keep the planes facing your bow you could sometimes shoot a few down and make aiming the torps harder. Now it seems they can do a ultra tight 360 spin and drop a load right off your flank. Manual releasing I've been told (never played the CV class) Last 3 ships including my Benson, thanks to a point blank torp drop, have been sunk by CV's.

I always watch the map and always keep a cruiser or two close by when I'm in a BB but it doesn't seem to help much, once a CV sees you its going to be a lot of pain coming your way..

Last game is a good example, I spotted the bombers 10k away and took as much evasive action as I could, they aborted their first attack but as per the norm were able to swing around and drop another spread of torps giving me 3 seconds to avoid:( Also the Gulio Ceaser has useless AA which doesn't help.)

(There was 2 other ships in my group that were killed before this screenshot was taken, the CV nailed the other cruiser.)

shot-18.02.08_08.39.32-0864.jpg

Edited by LunchCutter

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,121 battles

Manual drops (t6+) and bad AA/alone ships (like your pic) is really easy to a minimal competent cv kill.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,778 posts

Considering the tight turns and short nature of GC you should dodge most torps from a spread, even a manual one.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

If you're just now facing tier 6 CVs then you now get to see the manual drop.

Otherwise noting has changed.

Members
228 posts
1,077 battles
5 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Considering the tight turns and short nature of GC you should dodge most torps from a spread, even a manual one.

I took that screenshot 1 sec after they were dropped, zero time to do anything:(

Members
1,603 posts
3,573 battles
5 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

I took that screenshot 1 sec after they were dropped, zero time to do anything:(

You have to turn into them when you see them,  not when they get close.  If its even sort of possible you are the target,  start taking precautions.

Otherwise no.  If anything CV's have gotten weaker thanks to AA power creep.  Otherwise nothing has changed except USN CV's no longer have an AS loadout so you'll be seeing more USN torpedos.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

You were also alone early on in the match, according to your screenshot.  For a bad AA Battleship like Caesar, that makes her an easy CV target.  When you got Tier VI+ CVs with Manual Drops, it's easy game. 

I say, "alone" despite that Cruiser nearby... but you're in front of it and considering the tiers, it's likely a Cruiser with poor AA.  The only Cruiser at Tier V-VI with good AA is Cleveland, and it doesn't look like a Cleveland.

Lastly, the only real changes to CVs have been Tier IV-V CVs losing Manual Drops, and USN CVs at Tier V-X getting their specs / squadron numbers, types redone.  Everything else, Manual Dropping, minimum TB drop distances, etc. are still the same as they've ever been.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
228 posts
1,077 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You were also alone early on in the match, according to your screenshot.  For a bad AA Battleship like Caesar, that makes her an easy CV target.  When you got Tier VI+ CVs with Manual Drops, it's easy game. 

I know you got a Cruiser nearby, but you're in front of it and considering the tiers, it's likely a Cruiser with poor AA.  The only Cruiser at Tier V-VI with good AA is Cleveland, and it doesn't look like a Cleveland.

Lastly, the only real changes to CVs have been Tier IV-V CVs losing Manual Drops, and USN CVs at Tier V-X getting their specs / squadron numbers, types redone.  Everything else, Manual Dropping, minimum TB drop distances, etc. are still the same as they've ever been.

There were 2 other friendly ships in close proximity to me (think a Omaha and a Nicolas), both died just before I took that pic:( I now the GC is suicidal if it wanders off by itself.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,504 battles

Some CV players are quite good at drops. Turning in will not thwart them. USN CVs when dropped are harder to avoid to the nature of six potential torps. 

In my experience IJN torps are easier with the spread. 

I do build most ship's for anti air for this reason. 

In your situation id keep turning in and changing speed to throw off their aim. The steering module is also worth investing in where applicable to help in this. 

[WDS]
Members
342 posts
6,862 battles
29 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I have to respectfully disagree , the CV captions are getting good .  If a good CV player wants to torp you it's not so easy to dodge a well placed spread especially in a BB even the GC . 

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,121 battles
49 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

There were 2 other friendly ships in close proximity to me (think a Omaha and a Nicolas), both died just before I took that pic:( I now the GC is suicidal if it wanders off by itself.

Nicolas and omaha dont really have "AA" to fight a t6 cv.

The ships with strong AA are: usn bbs/cls/dds t7~8+, high uk cruisers, and some german bbs... and grozovoi.

If you face a +1/+2 cv tier you probabily is an easy targer (like shoot with one yamato in a pensacola).

Sign in to follow this