You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ricky_Racer

USN Tier 7 Premium Battleship "Any Ideas"

61 comments in this topic

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
808 battles

I don't see a Premium tier 7 USN Battleship that's available.

I would have no hesitation or problem buying one.

Any ideas what USN ship would fit?

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,479 battles

Maryland.  Some have suggested Tennessee in late-war uber-AA omygawdtheresgunseverywhere trim.  But she'd need to have cruiser-like dispersion (i.e., even better than Arizona, which has the same guns) for her main battery to be competitive at that tier.

Edited by kerensky914

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,759 posts
4,544 battles

West Virginia 1945

• Cool 2

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

West Virginia has been requested numerous times, but she's problematic because of her AA suite being flat out better than Colorado. Downtiered, stock Washington is possible but also problematic. Which only really leaves Maryland or an uptiered Tennessee/California.

Edited by Goose21891

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,759 posts
4,544 battles
10 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

West Virginia has been requested numerous times, but she's problematic because of her AA suite being flat out better than Colorado. Downtiered, stock Washington is possible but also problematic. Which only really leaves Maryland or an uptiered Tennessee/California.

She's not problematic at all, considering Kaga can out right roflstomp ANYTHING in her tier bracket when the CV captain isn't a potato. 

Hell I watched Texas fight a CV at her tier and he got through that, West Virginia would be fine. 

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

Alaska -- except make it a cruiser -- at Tier 7.

but seriously -- what about the Lexington before it got Washington Naval Treaty'ied.  BC sure -- but could provide some giggles during my nightly randoms

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[PHU]
Beta Testers
205 posts
3,604 battles

A Lexington Battlecruiser wouldn't be a bad idea in all honesty.  We'd obviously be looking at a hypothetical refit that needs period accurate AA and secondaries, but I could see it working.  The same could also be said for a 1920 South Dakota class that's been refit too.  The main issue is that whatever premium BB that does end up at tier 7 can't be another 21 knot standard, that's simply too slow for the tier these days.

That's also one of the reasons I'd argue against either Maryland or West Virginia, the Colorado's very outdated in the game's meta right now and should be given a new top hull based off either of her sister ships final fit.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
478 posts
3,563 battles

1945 Pennsylvania would work if given preferential MM

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,704 posts
10,050 battles

Maybe the 3x4 14in armed North Carolina pre-escalator design?

• Cool 2

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

ohhh...and call it Saratoga so folks heads wont explode when they see two Lexingtons' in the same match -- cept' one is a CV and one is a BC

[POP]
Members
846 posts
9,511 battles
22 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Maryland.  Some have suggested Tennessee in late-war uber-AA omygawdtheresgunseverywhere trim.  But she'd need to have cruiser-like dispersion (i.e., even better than Arizona, which has the same guns) for her main battery to be competitive at that tier.

The Maryland would be nice at Tier 7.

24 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Tennessee in late-war uber-AA omygawdtheresgunseverywhere trim

Yes please!

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
7 minutes ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

I'd prefer Maryland to Tennessee. Why? Oh, that's EASY:

2000px-Flag_of_Maryland.svg.png

One of the most awesome flags in the whole world.

John Hopkins grad?

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
478 posts
3,563 battles

Tennessee or Pennsylvania would need ahistorical buffs to be effective in Tier 9.  Preferential MM seems to make sense in cases of uptiering due to AA capability combined with lower tier main gun caliber. 

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Dirt said:

John Hopkins grad?

Uh, no. Sorry. I have many degrees, but I fled Maryland as soon as high school was over. Annapolis, as well as the western portion of the state, are very nice, but if you live elsewhere... feh. It's not the worst place in the world, but you can do better.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles
1 minute ago, Cruiser_Fiume said:

Uh, no. Sorry. I have many degrees, but I fled Maryland as soon as high school was over. Annapolis, as well as the western portion of the state, are very nice, but if you live elsewhere... feh. It's not the worst place in the world, but you can do better.

I too fled Maryland, but it was after having moved there in the first place.  I prefer Virginia by a lot.  Maryland /does/ have a pretty kick [edited]flag going for it, and I would buy the top end bundle to get it.

[SIM]
Members
2,456 posts
4,093 battles

There are lots of good options, though this Lexington-class battlecruiser idea is pretty darned interesting.

[YARRR]
Members
393 posts
4,736 battles

All in for Lexington in her battlecruiser configuration.

[SVF]
Members
908 posts
1,282 battles
1 hour ago, kerensky914 said:

Some have suggested Tennessee in late-war uber-AA omygawdtheresgunseverywhere trim.  But she'd need to have cruiser-like dispersion (i.e., even better than Arizona, which has the same guns)

Well, not quite.  Tennessee has the 356mm/50 rifles of the preceding New Mexico-class, not the 356mm/45 rifles that Arizona had.

1 hour ago, mofton said:

Maybe the 3x4 14in armed North Carolina pre-escalator design?

A USN-Style Alsace-like design would be interesting to have, true.

Still holding out for late WW2 WeeVee to eventually arrive, myself, though I suppose a pre-Treaty Lexington-class battlecruiser would be a good what-if as well.

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,314 posts
9,414 battles
1 hour ago, kerensky914 said:

Tennessee and Arizona don't have the same guns, Tennessee has the same guns as New Mexico.

Tennessee has 14"/50 cals and Arizona has 14"/45 cals, so Tennessee has an extra 30m/s in muzzle velocity with the same shells.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles

Something with speed please.  No more standards.

• Cool 1

[AGPIS]
Members
354 posts
2,416 battles

USS Constellation (CC-2).

Basically the planned version of the Lexington class battlecruiser. It would be armed with 16 inch guns in 4 double-turrets, with a total displacement of ~45,000 tons. It would have a top speed to rival the Iowas and Scharnhorst/Gneisenau, topping out at 33 knots, but at only a 7 inch belt it would be quite squishy, and its nearly 900 foot length wouldn't do it any favors.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,454 posts
3,418 battles

West Virginia would be ideal. But would likely take a hit somewhere for all that AA and armor addition.

Maryland would work too; mainly just being more AA-heavy than Colorado herself; in the same manner as Texas is to NY.

Uptiered Tennessee can work as well, but would likely need slightly buffed accuracy or RoF at least, her armor and slow speed would offset her prickly porcupine AA mounting.

Battlecruiser Lexington would actually be different and more tempting, simply because its faster. Depending on how WG models her, she could appear with almost no AA (as-designed) to counterbalance her speed (WG can go with the extra-generous 33kt, or dial it back a bit to 31kt), or add more AA but cut into her speed a fair bit. This is assuming we don't ever get a battlecruiser Lexington in a second USN BB line split.