You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sventex

Autopsy of Emblems and Cosmetic Flags, a Negative Review of 0.7.0

59 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles

For A Limited Time Only!

I'll get right off the bat and say that WGing's decision of introducing the new emblem patch system through a set of time sensitive missions have been puzzling.  You can create a partially customized patch with this new system, but only if you played the game during a certain period between Late January and Early February.  What makes this specific time period so special?  What happens to the player that was burned out from the North Cape Campaign and took a month off from the game?  Is this a punishment?  Does this mean they'll have next to no patch options because they didn't play the time specific missions?  What is even the point of customizable patches if even the basic  options are locked?  Is the intent for all customization options be monetized with doubloon costs after the missions expire?  I find the fact that this whole system was rolled out through a timelocked mission very strange and counter intuitive.  Why make it difficult for the player to represent themselves?

Uty5g11.jpg

These Insignia Have An Identity Crisis.

The WoWS news page have liken these Insignia to several Navies' Highest Honors: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/pedal-to-the-medal/
However, none of the patches seem to reflect this concept in any way.  Is a Shark suppose to represent a military metal?  Is the Raven suppose to be some kind of merit?  Are the patches and insignia suppose to represent two separate systems?  They both occupy the same identification slot for the player, so it would be strange for them to be sharing the same system.  Are patches meant for bragging rights?  When a player is destroyed in-game, the insignia of the player that made the killing blow is plastered dead center on their screen.  Is this to imply the enemy player is shoving his Medal of Honor in their face at the moment of their death?  The WoWS news page outright says "In Your Face!  A player's Distinctive Insignia will also display on an opponent's screen when the player sinks that opponent.", but these very same insignia are also suppose to represent illustrious honors gone those who’ve gone the furthest beyond the call of duty?  This is very strange.  Shouldn't such awards highlight the history of the gamer's WoWS career, and not be used in an identical manner as a Vietnam Death Card?

hlOuUvB.jpgZR3HKHY.jpg

Are Patches Supposed To Be Second Avatars?

We already have Forum Avatars, isn't this redundant?  So already, we have two conflicting systems on now we identify each other.  In the forums, we have our avatar, but in the game we're instead known by patches?  Why isn't my forum avatar appearing in-game instead?  The freedom to upload an avatar grants the player far more customization and freedom in expressing their identity then the patch system.  These patches don't even properly signify individuality, they implying a team, an organization or regiment. So why are they being used to encourage individuality?  These patches would be more effective in distinguishing clans from each other.  Putting our avatars into the game itself is a feature that Battlefield One already has.  The only way to recognize someone from the forums in-game at the moment is to memorize their usernames.  Conversely, if you want to show off your custom emblem patch, you have to post a screenshot of it on the forum.

IKnncnm.jpg

Why Only One Medal?  A Ribbon Bar Is More Efficient & Effective

If the emblem system is suppose to resemble illustrious honors granted by militaries all across the world, why is the system designed to show only one decoration?  What is the player even supposed to pick for their insignia?  Their highest decoration?  The one the looks the coolest?  The one that represents the player the most?  Service Ribbons do a far better job showcasing a player's achievements then any single metal could achieve.  There's no reason why insignia should be only limited to higher tier top chart winners and high average damage achievers.  Take the difficult North Cape Campaign, a simple ribbon device awarded to the players who completed the campaign can feel more rewarding when it can be displayed in conjunction with other achievements. The ribbon device could even be integrated in the forums and act as an optional display of a player's achievements.  This system would be far better then the nebulous "Battle Counter/ Post Counter" under our avatars at the moment, and it could tell a player in-game so much more then a single insignia or patch on the team scoreboard.

PCEE159_Happy_New_Year2018.pngAwarded to players who complete the Battle of the North Cape collection.

mQIproo.jpg

0531_6.pngGiven to players who participated in Closed Beta Testing for World of Warships.

OXlSi58.jpg

PCEE010_Rank1.pngAwarded for reaching Rank 5 in a season of Ranked Battles.

JvRUXSc.jpg

We Already Have Cosmetic Flags

Any player whose been playing regularly since World of Warships has started has probably already accumulated over a dozen cosmetic flags.  Like Insignia, you can only choose one despite the fact that several of these flags are probably meaningful to the player.  A Rank 1 player might find his Jolly Roger flag to be as equally meaningful as his Closed Beta Tester flag.  The cosmetic flag system and the emblem system are incredibly limiting when it comes to showing off accomplishments, because you can only show off a tiny fraction of your achievements at any given time.  Again,  a ribbon bar system can do more to signify the accomplishments of the player then a single flag or insignia.  Many warships had the ribbons mounted on their superstructures as well, offering the potential for far more cosmetic options then the current flag system allows.  At the moment, I've stopped caring about collecting more cosmetic flags, and I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with paying for the full priced bundles, just to get a flag.  That flag that cost so much money?  Well it has to compete with every single flag in that player's collection now.  The New Year Commemorative Flag that was tied to the North Cape Campaign took real effort to earn, but does anyone here on the forum actually mount this flag on more then 1 ship?  If so, this difficult North Cape achievement is receiving almost no exposure because of this system.  If this system was meant to show off a player's achievements, it is completely ineffective.  Often times, players will skip showing off achievements in lieu of the Military Month Contributor bonus flag instead.

(Even at close range, the other player's flag is illegible and barely visible.)

WzTlurt.jpg

Why Is it all Decentralized?

So we now have 3 different systems for identification.  We have the forum avatars, which only exist on the forums,  we have the Insignia patch system that only exists in-game and we have the cosmetic flags that only exist on the ships themselves.  Why are all the systems designs to make to make each player stand out not unified in some way?  Often times, the game will offer a cosmetic flag that looks cool, but players would only be visible to other players staring at their ship with binoculars.  This is so limiting for what could be potentially an interesting system, because of how difficult it is to view any of it.  I would hazard a guess that players would be more interested in showing off their accomplishments at a glance on the forums, then showing a single accomplishment to random people in a random battle.  Why don't we make our cosmetic flag collection view-able on the forums?  Like in the form of a easy to see ribbon bar below the player's avatar?  You can even stick the patch under the avatar as well, so everything is visible if the player wishes it.

(Example)

08WpsiI.jpg

The Post Mortem

We already had a system for distinguishing ourselves, but instead of improving on them, and integrating them between the game and the forum, they created yet another customization system, with the same flaws and limited scope as the others.  What do the patches add in place of the forum avatar?  What makes the patches different from the cosmetic flags?  I don't think WGing asked these questions internally when just decided to add yet another system on top of another one.  Just like the cosmetic flags, insignia will become more pointless with the more you earn because your only allowed to display one at a time.  This does a very poor job of displaying a player accomplishments, which seems to be the goal of Insignia.  At the moment, the easiest/best way to find out a player achievements is to request a screenshot of them, which means that the cosmetic flags and insignia have failed in their attempt to adequately showcase a player's experience.

EEwsGJD.jpg

6e5ef0c2a765b51852f11ad5b59e58b3.jpg
Keep it civil guys, it took me a few hours to write up this review and I'm tired of them getting locked by the responses.

Edited by Sventex
  • Cool 45
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[POP]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
250 posts
2,400 battles

good post

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,035 posts
9,183 battles

I think the emblems make the patches irrelevant and that WG has plans to add even more bling to the emblems.

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,247 battles

As long as the comments and feedback remain constructive and on topic, there should be no reason for us to lock this thread for now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and players are encouraged to share their thoughts, either positive or negative. Again, just a reminder, no personal attacks or trolling please.

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts

I mean,  since they're completely pointless, what better time to run them than when we're all burnt-out from the holidays? This gave me whole month to grind tech-tree ships and relax, without missing out on anything important.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles

Some of your complaints seem to imply that these patches as implemented are all there will ever be, or that maybe after this first period they'll be for-purchase only.  I'm relatively certain that the intent is that this system is a basic framework, and that more will be added to it in future updates.  Will it cost money?  Maybe.  Then again, maybe not.

You asked if they're supposed to be medals.  I'd say they're more like unit insignia patches.

As for the rest ... I just ain't got the time it'd take to digest this wall of opinion.  Maybe later.

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,103 battles

Interesting post, very nice write up.  As it relates to the Emblems, I made a post on this a few days ago.  In short, I think the artwork is cool and like the way they look, but think that being able to have unique emblems per-ship would be a nice-to-have option.  So my ships can bear their national emblems, or specific class emblems.    Just a thought.  

As for the topic in general, I don't really mind their existence.  getting sunk is still getting sunk... now with bling.  

b

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
4 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

You asked if they're supposed to be medals.  I'd say they're more like unit insignia patches.

2 points about that.

1:  To quote WGing on their news page "Throughout history, militaries across the world have granted illustrious honors to those who’ve gone the furthest beyond the call of duty. With Insignia now available with Update 0.7.0, we think it’s a great time to review these prestigious naval decorations! "  So WGing is making the comparison there.  That's WGing's artstyle on the Medal of Honor there.

2: These patches aren't being used like unit insignia patches, they're being used individually for each player.  If the patch was for clans, that would make sense, but that's not how they've been implemented in the game.  The patches are basically a second avatar at the moment.

Edited by Sventex

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles
Just now, Sventex said:

2 points about that.

1:  To quote WGing on their news page "Throughout history, militaries across the world have granted illustrious honors to those who’ve gone the furthest beyond the call of duty. With Insignia now available with Update 0.7.0, we think it’s a great time to review these prestigious naval decorations! "

2: These patches aren't being used like unit insignia patches, they're being used individually for each player.  If the patch was for clans, that would make sense, but that's not how they've been implemented in the game.

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into something most likely typed up in a hurry by a marketing intern.  Although you are correct in that they aren't used like unit insignias.  Yet.  Could they be in the future? Yeah, I could see that.  Your clan chooses an insignia, and you have a checkbox to use the one you've selected, or the clan insignia.

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,103 battles

I would imagine that Clan Insignia may be something on the horizon, that or a clan could choose to require it's members to utilize a specific patch.  Maybe something more custom perhaps, but subject to WG approval (to avoid any taboo issues).

B

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,024 battles

WG skipped another good opportunity for community engagement. Players could've contributed many designs.

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

They did mention that for those people they did not get to unlock all of the patches in time, the patch items will be dropping off daily containers starting with next update.  So eventually everyone will have their share of badges.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,676 posts

I've a few things I dislike about the patches, but it comes down to two things

- I've no connection with the patch designs. As an avatar they don't represent me in any way.

- to have one presented to me, or more importantly, mine presented to someone else upon death violates my sense of fair play. It's taunting, that's the only way I see it

• Cool 6

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,708 posts
4,493 battles

I'm not touching this, it's too easy to get baited into a political discussion.

They wont add ANYTHING German, so better not to ask.

Yet if I can get some more Sloths and Walruses I'm game. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,166 posts
7,923 battles

omg.

I think you seriously overthought this whole thing.   And I think you, and others, are overreacting to the seeing the patch of who sunk your ship.  Even my tolerance for the sensitivity standards of others is stretched to the breaking point by that reaction.

Who cares if it's a medal or insignia or patch or bumper sticker?   Why does it matter that your forum avatar and your game insignia differ?  It's not like most people even know who each other are, much less they are going to be confused by different graphics for the same player.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
13 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

I think you seriously overthought this whole thing.   And I think you, and others, are overreacting to the seeing the patch of who sunk your ship.  Even my tolerance for the sensitivity standards of others is stretched to the breaking point by that reaction.

Who cares if it's a medal or insignia or patch or bumper sticker?

Do you go into LittleWhiteMouse's reviews and ask: "I think you seriously overthought this whole thing  Who cares about premium ships, or how it'll effect the game?" ?

If someone has gone to the effort to type up a 1400 word review, then obviously you already know the answer to your own question.

Edited by Sventex
  • Cool 1

Members
2,748 posts
6,227 battles
41 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

As for the rest ... I just ain't got the time it'd take to digest this wall of opinion.  Maybe later

Unit insignia patches was what I was also thinking. I kind of like them myself.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
4 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

omg.

I think you seriously overthought this whole thing.   And I think you, and others, are overreacting to the seeing the patch of who sunk your ship.  Even my tolerance for the sensitivity standards of others is stretched to the breaking point by that reaction.

Who cares if it's a medal or insignia or patch or bumper sticker?   Why does it matter that your forum avatar and your game insignia differ?  It's not like most people even know who each other are, much less they are going to be confused by different graphics for the same player.

Because why have something utterly pointless when you could have a meaningful or useful system for not much more effort?

I strongly agree with @Sventex on this. I had hoped the patches actually be unique, something a player could take pride in and feel special about. Instead we get a handful of mix-n-match color backgrounds with animals, or a special badge that says "look, I grind a lot".

I wanted a way to display possibly unique achievements or to showcase the time and effort I've put into the game. I've played for years, I have two solo warrior badges, I got 7 kills once, and I have a vast collection of battles that I've done spectacularly well in. I even won a community contest once. But none of that is relevant to the "unique" badges. I couldn't recall a single player I've been sunk by since the addition. They are simply a mildly annoying piece of glitter, when we could have displayed character.

They wouldn't have been bad as a clan based thing, the emblem you display is your clan's instead of yours. Make the insignias rewards for winning matches or reaching a certain league. I would have liked that.

But on a player to player basis, they serve no real purpose.

• Cool 2

Members
2,748 posts
6,227 battles
29 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Agree with Doc. I think some people are just a bit too over sensitive.

Beta Testers
1,166 posts
7,923 battles
10 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Do you go into LittleWhiteMouse's reviews and ask: "I think you seriously overthought this whole thing  Who cares about premium ships, or how it'll effect the game?" ?

If someone has gone to the effort to type up a 1400 word review, then obviously you already know the answer to your own question.

As it was a rhetorical question, yes, obviously I know the answer, pun'kin.    Nobody forced you to write 1400 words on your current pet peeve.   You went to  painfully tedious lengths to convey "They're new, and I don't like 'em".

LWM writes reviews intended to help people learn about, and decide, if new ships are what they are going to go after.  You wrote 1400 words about something that actually has zero effects on gameplay.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 5

[SPTR]
Members
114 posts
4,486 battles
35 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

A slothier Sloth would be nice

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,407 battles

Hey Sventex - I was particularly intrigued by your idea about "Ribbon Bars" for completing campaigns, mission sequences or game achievements.  It's a nice nod to actual military ribbons on uniforms.  As such, these might be incorporated into a player's public profile for use in activities such as clan applications, etc. +1 for the thought that went into all the ideas. 

The current flag system that represent a lot of the "event participation" and some of the achievements is a bit too limited - it primarily serves the purpose of displaying one activity/achievement of the player's choice in-game on your ship.  I like the ribbon idea which presents a nice efficient blending to acknowlege a number of these achievement/participation type events - this would be more useful if publicly viewable in a appropriate context (e.g. clan applications, player lookup on WG or other public stat site, etc).

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles

Honestly, I'd be happy with clan flags or admiral's decorative flags to hang off my ship.  I don't much for the stupid patch system that they just implemented.  I don't want to be shoving my emblem in someone's face when I sink them, and I don't really like having it done to me.

• Cool 1

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

2 points about that.

1:  To quote WGing on their news page "Throughout history, militaries across the world have granted illustrious honors to those who’ve gone the furthest beyond the call of duty. With Insignia now available with Update 0.7.0, we think it’s a great time to review these prestigious naval decorations! "  So WGing is making the comparison there.  That's WGing's artstyle on the Medal of Honor there.

2: These patches aren't being used like unit insignia patches, they're being used individually for each player.  If the patch was for clans, that would make sense, but that's not how they've been implemented in the game.  The patches are basically a second avatar at the moment.

The patches and insignia are being used interchangeably by the "death taunting" mechanism (which I wish WG would give an option to turn OFF), but are meant to display different things. Patches are more an expression of the player's personality or style of play, while the insignia are for accomplishments.

Overall, a very good examination of the situation and some VERY nice suggestions you've made. Hopefully WG will not only listen to what you've said but reward you in some way. (Maybe they could give you a unique patch design? :Smile_smile: )