You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ruthless4u

What percentage of the playerbase is made up of PVE mains?

156 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
274 posts
358 battles

Just curious, I have seen a few claim that PVE mains make up a signifigant portion of the playerbase. What percentage actually do they represent? 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

I think less, but still a large amount. Otherwise WG wouldn't have bothered with operations or doing any work at all with co-op.

I for one, rarely touch pvp these days and stick mostly with derping in co-op and having fun in operations.

• Cool 2

[FACT]
Members
67 posts
5,558 battles

Good question.

I know I am here for the PvE.

My clan is a PvE clan and, if memory serves, several of the members have 10,000+ Co Op games.  Most of us have spent money on the game (I have a Tirpitz, and convinced another to buy a Tirpitz just today, for example).

Though a lot of us, especially myself, play tons of Operations -- which doesn't count towards any number and thus cannot be seen.

It would be important to know, because unlike last year (where we PvE players were allowed into the missions for the ARP ships and the Graf Spee + 5 missions, etc) these days it seems opportunities in missions for us have become rare.  The last good one was for the Vampire.

It was nice to see that the opening missions for the French BB line, and the BB missions themselves, were open to PvE --- but the second part that starts on the 16th is again Random only.

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,923 posts
14,761 battles

I would guess 20 to 30 percent give or take

[PVE]
Members
5,318 posts
17,820 battles

I think only Wargaming knows for sure honestly. A figure of 30% has been floating around for a long time but unsure where it came from. I referenced the first time I saw the number here and included a link to the original post here:

So essentially it is a link to a link.... I do know there are quite a few of us, but unsure of the totals. Even in the oldest post where the 30% number shows up, it "seems" as if it had been out for a while, kind of like common knowledge.

BTW just thinking about something, it is only subjective observation but it is the best I can offer. I play lots of PvE across the tiers from 2 through 9. I have around 10k+ games there and can only think of 4 games where I ran into a member of my clan, and rarely see anyone I know or know of (ie forum poster or community contributer). In PvP play, I run into people I know of quite a bit. Now understand in PvP there are 24 humans and in PvE there are at maximum 8 or 9 human players (I forget), so the numbers are against running into someone familiar. Just wanted to put that out there for people to understand that the population of PvE is pretty healthy. Course it isn't proof, just an observation.

Edited by Taylor3006

[PVE]
Members
8,863 posts
7,288 battles
9 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

Just curious, I have seen a few claim that PVE mains make up a signifigant portion of the playerbase. What percentage actually do they represent? 

3 minutes ago, Lionel92 said:

I think less than PvP

The most widely used figure is from the Russia server from a dev (I do not have a link) and says roughly 30% of the player base plays more PvE than PvP. This is the best info we have an no one on the NA server has given anything that I know of to confirm or deny this number.

[4HIM]
Members
1,716 posts
3,905 battles

Difficult to say.  Some people play a mix.  I play PvE from time to time.  Mostly PvP, but there are times I like to kick back and kick bots.  And the Operations are PvE, but I don't think they count toward the number of PvE battles played (I could, and likely am, wrong here).  And counting number of battles played isn't a direct comparison either.  PvE battles tend to be over quickly.  

So the answer would be "that depends".  Not sure there's an easy way to measure it and get a direct comparison.  Especially when a number of players use all the modes.  

[UDT]
[UDT]
Members
24 posts
8,391 battles

wonder what the BOT stats are - which BOT has the most kills.....

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,318 posts
17,820 battles
12 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Difficult to say.  Some people play a mix.  I play PvE from time to time.  Mostly PvP, but there are times I like to kick back and kick bots.  And the Operations are PvE, but I don't think they count toward the number of PvE battles played (I could, and likely am, wrong here).  And counting number of battles played isn't a direct comparison either.  PvE battles tend to be over quickly.  

So the answer would be "that depends".  Not sure there's an easy way to measure it and get a direct comparison.  Especially when a number of players use all the modes.  

OPs do not count as a PvE play at least in player numbers (ie how many games you play). I was curious about this when they started and kept track. They do not count on games played numbers.

You are right, PvE games last on average 5 minutes so I can get 3 or 4 games played there in the same time it takes one game in PvP. This is how you can make book in PvE, by grinding first win bonuses using premium ships.  

Edited by Taylor3006

[5BS]
Members
4,495 posts

Wargaming has said in the past it was ~15%, but that was many moons ago and with the addition of Operations, it may be higher now, especially considering Operations' payout are always higher than normal CoOp and often higher than 'average' Random play.

[PVE]
Members
8,863 posts
7,288 battles
8 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I have 3,940 PvE battles and 531 PvP. I'm sure others have different ratios. OPs are not counted publicly, but I suspect WG has info on the number of OPs played. In any case, the percentage is enough that WG is adding to PvE. 

1 minute ago, tincan7 said:

I tried searching on :Tirpitz: and Warships.Today didn't have anything. WG's website is down, so can't check there.

[BNKR]
Members
274 posts
358 battles
6 minutes ago, tincan7 said:

That would be interesting to know, just for laughs if nothing else.

[FACT]
Members
67 posts
5,558 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

OPs do not count as a PvE play at least in player numbers (ie how many games you play). I was curious about this when they started and kept track. They do not count on games played numbers. You are right, PvE games last on average 5 minutes so I can get 3 or 4 games played there in the same time it takes one game in PvP. This is how you can make book in PvE, by grinding first win bonuses using premium ships.  

As a small note, although the lack of stats for Operations does eliminate a certain degree of stress - which for some makes it more fun, it kind of counts against you once a year.

Since once a year you are given a nice present of Dragon-type pennants for every 1,000 games you've played (plus tier X ships), which includes both Random and Co-Op games.

But this does not count your Operation games.

............damn. 

C'est le vie.

[PVE]
Members
5,318 posts
17,820 battles
1 minute ago, Ruthless4u said:

That would be interesting to know, just for laughs if nothing else.

LOL that is actually a great trivia question for Wargaming. You gotta figure some of those bots are going to have much better stats than many human players!

[PVE]
Members
5,318 posts
17,820 battles
1 minute ago, kostya3 said:

As a small note, although the lack of stats for Operations does eliminate a certain degree of stress - which for some makes it more fun, it kind of counts against you once a year.

Since once a year you are given a nice present of Dragon-type pennants for every 1,000 games you've played (plus tier X ships), which includes both Random and Co-Op games.

But this does not count your Operation games.

............damn. 

C'est le vie.

This is exactly why I was curious about whether they were counted or not and kept track. It is also one reason why I tend not to bother with OPs after I got the rewards. The exceptions have been Dunkirk and Narai because not only the payout was nice, but I found them fun.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,716 posts
3,905 battles
11 minutes ago, tincan7 said:

Sure they're pretty good, except against the USS John Connor

terminator.jpg

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
8,863 posts
7,288 battles
Just now, Taylor3006 said:

LOL that is actually a great trivia question for Wargaming. You gotta figure some of those bots are going to have much better stats than many human players!

I'd like to know if bots are specialized. Is :Tirpitz: better at BBs than normal? Is :Halsey: better at CVs?  That would be interesting and nice to know if it was true.

[FACT]
Members
67 posts
5,558 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

This is exactly why I was curious about whether they were counted or not and kept track. It is also one reason why I tend not to bother with OPs after I got the rewards. The exceptions have been Dunkirk and Narai because not only the payout was nice, but I found them fun.

Dunkirk?

Why did you have to mention Dunkirk?!?!?

I had put it behind me...and could sleep again.  But now....the planes..........THE PLANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!j

They're coming again!

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,318 posts
17,820 battles
4 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I'd like to know if bots are specialized. Is :Tirpitz: better at BBs than normal? Is :Halsey: better at CVs?  That would be interesting and nice to know if it was true.

It always amazes me about a human's capacity to ponder totally irrelevant information about totally irrelevant things! Something is wrong with us...

Christ Kiz what are you still doing up? My excuse is I am working (and getting paid to post on the forums!).

Edited by Taylor3006

[PVE]
Members
8,863 posts
7,288 battles
4 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

It always amazes me about a human's capacity to ponder totally irrelevant information about totally irrelevant things! Something is wrong with us...

I just think it would be funny for the devs to put that kind of Easter Egg into the game.

[FACT]
Members
67 posts
5,558 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

Being that there is no exact meaning of life, there isn't really anything to point to a 'norm' to compare ourselves to in a Universal-wide scale.

Which means we can make life to be what we want it to be.   Sans the laws of physics.

I mean we are all here to play pixels about a war that really happened, where sailors faced 99% boredom and 1% pure terror - while we now put Japanese blond girls in to Captain a simulacrum of what they died in. 

In a nutshell, we are here to have fun.

And if fun also includes debating on which Bot is best (though can never beat the aforementioned USS John Connor), then so be it.

........Oh, and my money is on :Tirpitz:.

[INTEL]
Members
6,630 posts
25,349 battles

I play a lot of PVE too. It's fun, sometimes stress-free is what I need, sometimes  1/2 asleep so I rather derp in PVE as a warm up till coffee kicks in, and there are some ships in my port I like but are challenged in PVP so I keep a stable of PVE only ships with no flags set, etc. (e.g Makarov, Huang He, Oleg, Mutsu)

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,120 posts
18,636 battles

A very vocal minority :Smile_hiding:

But some PvE stuff is OK like the Operations. Just wish there would be more for T7+. You get a fair amount of credits and Xp out of them.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,412 posts
10,181 battles
1 hour ago, Ruthless4u said:

30%+ is the closest to an official figure we have (see bottom).

For me...

• PVE (Co-op only) = 5334 (as of now)
  • PVP = 171 (as of now)
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

I think only Wargaming knows for sure honestly. A figure of 30% has been floating around for a long time but unsure where it came from. I referenced the first time I saw the number here and included a link to the original post here:

So essentially it is a link to a link.... I do know there are quite a few of us, but unsure of the totals. Even in the oldest post where the 30% number shows up, it "seems" as if it had been out for a while, kind of like common knowledge.

BTW just thinking about something, it is only subjective observation but it is the best I can offer. I play lots of PvE across the tiers from 2 through 9. I have around 10k+ games there and can only think of 4 games where I ran into a member of my clan, and rarely see anyone I know or know of (ie forum poster or community contributer). In PvP play, I run into people I know of quite a bit. Now understand in PvP there are 24 humans and in PvE there are at maximum 8 or 9 human players (I forget), so the numbers are against running into someone familiar. Just wanted to put that out there for people to understand that the population of PvE is pretty healthy. Course it isn't proof, just an observation.

I too have never come across anyone who knows me in PVP BUT to be fair I have few games there and I played most of that when I 1st started WOWS and before I was as active on the forums.

I run into quite a few guys from the forums in Co-op however and a few of them multiple times. Always catches me off guard when someone chats Hey Admiral or some such. I don't expect it. So far, thankfully, all the comments have been positive. A lot of follow up comments once they make sure I am me (LOL) are basically thanks for supporting PVE on the forums (I only add that to sort of go with the OP's post not to brag I am famous LOL).

I think it is at least 30% for all/most and it wouldn't surprise me if the % for plays both is high.

I see a TON of players who belong to clans in Co-op. They all can't be PVE clans. Like you I don't see a lot of my own clan in Co-op and while we are fine with PVP play in addition to Co-op the clan was started for Co-op players. I see a few of you guys but not a ton. I have to pay attention these days with our clan name because there is another PVE clan (-PVE-) out there and it fools me every time. LOL

1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

The most widely used figure is from the Russia server from a dev (I do not have a link) and says roughly 30% of the player base plays more PvE than PvP. This is the best info we have an no one on the NA server has given anything that I know of to confirm or deny this number.

I saw this as well (it was on reddit where I saw it I am pretty sure) and is why I use the 30%+ figure.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
added current exact games played