You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

77 comments in this topic

Members
1,238 posts
8,919 battles

TBH, I have absolutely no memory of starting this topic......I think I must have been in a drug-induced haze. ....anyways, I put the tags of the candidates up for you guys.....best I could do on long-notice...minus Kutuzov which I don't see on the tech tree for now but I THINK is T6 too I'm sure someone can hip me to that...

...for the non-premium debate, it's just Leander Nurnberg La Galiss Cleveland Aoba Budyonny

Edited by commodore_torakula
I was very high
  • Bad 1

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,875 battles

Cleveland

And you know that some of the tagged ships in your topic aren’t even tier 6? :)

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

I like them all, but Cleveland is the best.

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,203 posts
6,433 battles

I will go against the stream and say Budyonny. 16.6km gun range, which can temporarily be buffed to 19.9km, means that your firepower is still formidable in T8. Your ballistics also work at that ranfge

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Graf Spee when considering Premiums. 

Cleveland for Tech Tree Only. 

What's not to love about the Spee? When top Teir she can out run anything that and nuke her. And she's more than capable of Nuking whatever is able to Catch her. 

Cleveland has the longest ranged Secondaries currently at T6 with a 5km base, 7.2km-7.56km buffed. Main Battery reload of 8s or faster if spec'ed into AR. 12 rapid firing 152s on a full broadside. The only thing she is incapable of doing is Nuking a BB up close because she's lacks Torpedo armament. Also CV's tend to be intimidated by your mere presence; regardless if Hydro is equipped instead of DF. 

But most Cruisers are Rapiers not Broadswords. Finesse at range is how they excel the most. 

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

For now, Cleveland.  We shall see if the USN can hold the title of T6 champion after the cruiser split.

Cleveland's rate of fire, fire chance, and AA capability makes her the best all-around cruiser.  Find a DD?  Melt them with withering gunfire.  Find a BB?  Saturate them with HE and burn them down.  Got CV?  Shred those tasty, tasty planes...if the CV captain will even dare to bring his planes near you, that is.

[-K-]
Members
5,041 posts
8,928 battles

Tough question to answer.  Depends on your preferred playstyle.

Cleveland is the most played ship in the entire game, so its no surprise she gets many votes.  She's probably the most versatile cruiser at T6, but deciding the best one is up to each individual player and their playstyle.

[SF-A]
Members
2,845 posts
5,547 battles

Cleveland is good all around. Budyonny can be done well if you're good with the gunnery. There's a case to be made that De Grasse is just as good as Budyonny, but I'm not too sure. Perth can be really good at objective play (which wins games), but has drawbacks. Molotov is powerful, but fragile.

Not Aoba (too low DPM), not Nurnberg (too fragile, bad HE), not Huang He (inferior to Perth), not La Gal (inferior to De Grasse), not Makarov (still a Nurnberg), not Graf Spee (too slow, too many drawbacks).

Members
1,238 posts
8,919 battles

J

CLEVELAND WINS HANDS DOWN...not really surprising, I suppose

still high

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,325 posts
9,387 battles

When Cleveland gets trashed out at the unforgivable tier 8, CV operators will breathe a sigh of relief.

Sky cancer will flourish again.  It'd be time for me to pick up my Zuiho numbers.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,335 posts
10,122 battles

Just going with the tech tree...

1. Leander
  2. Budyonny
  3. Cleveland
  4. Nunberg
  5. Aoba

I have a Huang He just haven't played it yet so didn't include it.

[ASHIP]
Members
581 posts
5,195 battles

The nice thing about the cleveland is that it is not very affected by bad MM. With IFHE the guns can penetrate and set fire to any ship it meets, and the playstyle of sitting behind islands is entirely dependent on your own skill. A tier 8 BB can't overmatch an island any more than a tier 5 BB. DDs also don't become that much stronger between tiers 5 and 8, (at least in ways which matter to the cleveland), so bullying them is always fun.

That said, if you do ever meet tier 6 or 5 ships the results can be described as almost cruel. With smart turning it is possible to out fight same tier BBs even at close ranges. And the incredible dpm and armour of the cleveland make it a nightmare to fight. Really, the only major headache for the cleveland are high tier russian DDs and higher tier CAs which out-dpm it.

Now that I'm thinking about it like this, the cleveland could really be moved to tier 7 without changes and still be a fairly competitive CL.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
7 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

When Cleveland gets trashed out at the unforgivable tier 8, CV operators will breathe a sigh of relief.

Sky cancer will flourish again.  It'd be time for me to pick up my Zuiho numbers.

Lol. But aren't the specs for Cleveland's replacement TBD still? Or is the expectations that whatever replaces her only has marginally stronger AA protection than the next highest AA Cruiser at T6?

I want to say Leander, with MFCAA, but it's been a while since I've looked at the other T6 Cruiser stats. But whatever the new USN CL at T6 is, having +1 DF charge compared to the other nations still might put a damper on your planed... planned terrorizing of the mid tier BBs. Hahahaha

[AGPIS]
Members
354 posts
2,416 battles

Graf Spee is best cruiser, its guns are biggest. Bigger gun = Better ship. This is basic stuff.

• Funny 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,335 posts
10,122 battles
1 hour ago, amaROenuZ said:

Graf Spee is best cruiser, its guns are biggest. Bigger gun = Better ship. This is basic stuff.

Fewer of them, longer reload, and wonky dispersion. Bigger isn't always better. You have to hit with them.LOL

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,871 posts
8,677 battles

For Tech tree, my personal favorites and pics (out of ships I actually have played) are: 

1. La Gal

2. Nurnberg

3. Aoba (Used to be my favorite cruiser back before the other trees were added- with changes to MM and the buff of Furutaka, it's pretty crappy now)

If I were to included premiums, the order would change to 

1. La Gal

2. Graf Spee

3. Nurnberg

4. Aoba

[AGPIS]
Members
354 posts
2,416 battles
12 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Fewer of them, longer reload, and wonky dispersion. Bigger isn't always better. You have to hit with them.LOL

e37.png

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,335 posts
10,122 battles
4 minutes ago, amaROenuZ said:

e37.png

Ok you made a joke. Doesn't come off that way and a lot of people agree with Graf being best too. I was just commenting.

Members
1,238 posts
8,919 battles
On 2/7/2018 at 2:58 AM, Lionel92 said:

Cleveland

And you know that some of the tagged ships in your topic aren’t even tier 6? :)

BACON.......just not Francis Bacon....reprimand noted....carry on.

still coming down

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles

For doing a bunch of duties and not imploding on the first shell that lands on it, Cleveland is the easy answer.  The only thing Cleveland isn't as good with is gunnery against Non-BBs past a dozen or so kilometers.  Cleveland can nail BBs at the perimeter of her range, but another Cruiser, much less a DD, further out than 12km can be dicey.  Past that 12km, other Cruisers this tier have an easier time to hit more varied targets.  Budyonny, Molotov, De Grasse, La Gal, Nurnberg, even Aoba who packs 8" guns, perform better with more range than Cleveland on more varied targets.

I still say Cleveland's ability to survive, actually have good AA, and have great DPM for the right situations, makes her a great, all-around Tier VI Cruiser.  Budyonny, De Grasse are cool Tier VI Cruisers but can implode pretty well and lack the AA.  Tier V-VI, all Cruisers but Cleveland have abysmal AA, and in the tiers Cleveland fights in, is the heart of where CVs are actually played a lot.  In Tier IV-VI you can actually see Double CV per team matches.  Tier VI Cruisers see the V-VI Double CV ones.  Not surprising to see matches where Cleveland is the only thing preventing the heart of the team or their flank / group to not get annihilated by air attacks.  None of the other VI Cruisers can do that.

When Cleveland leaves to go to Tier VIII, you can bet the CV players will be laying out the red carpet and dropping flowers in front of Cleveland to leave.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
493 posts
4,066 battles

I have only played half of the lines but so far for tech tree ships I would day the Nurnberg is best. Cleveland just feels too big to be T6. Cleveland also lacks torps which can be helpful in certain situations.

If I include premiums I would say De Grasse is best. It is a fairly complete and balanced package.