You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ANDROMADA

Why is Fire Prevention Useless?

113 comments in this topic

[-OF-]
Beta Testers
93 posts

No really, why do Zao's still set 2 fires every salvo and Conqueror's still get Witheres? A four skill point perk really doesn't seem worth its price.

Those who say that taking Fire Prevention is useless are literally proving my point. Why is a four skill perk this useless?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
693 posts
1,687 battles

It reduces the number of fire points on your ship to 3 (from 4) it means that you cant be set on fire multiple times just by taking salvos in your superstructure.

[-OF-]
Beta Testers
93 posts
1 minute ago, Avalon304 said:

It reduces the number of fire points on your ship to 3 (from 4) it means that you cant be set on fire multiple times just by taking salvos in your superstructure.

But... I still get set on fire 2 to 3 times in one salvo commonly.

• Bad 1

[CMFRT]
693 posts
1,687 battles
Just now, ANDROMADA said:

Then youre getting hit in multiple places and people are attempting to set multiple fires. But if youre taking salvos to the superstructure youre only gonna get set on fire once.

Members
9 posts
1,861 battles
2 minutes ago, ANDROMADA said:

Its because your deck is doused in fuel. And the Conqueror is completely Fair and Balanced.

• Cool 1

[-OF-]
Beta Testers
93 posts
6 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Then youre getting hit in multiple places and people are attempting to set multiple fires. But if youre taking salvos to the superstructure youre only gonna get set on fire once.

So then... it is totally useless.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

It's main benefits is the reduction of 4 potential fire locations down to 3. 

If you've ever had 4 fires on your BBs before the introduction of the skill you'd notice how strong the skill is. 

4x fires on your ship while DCP is down is like getting hit by a Mogami Penetrations with 10 of 15 guns. Every few ticks. 

[CMFRT]
693 posts
1,687 battles
3 minutes ago, ANDROMADA said:

So then... it is totally useless.

It literally isnt.

• Bad 1

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,472 posts
4,055 battles

I wouldn't say that it's a useless skill. But out of all the fourth tier skills, I find Fire Prevention the least appealing. If I get HE spammed in a battleship and I can't kill the HE spammer, I'll use WASD hacks to fall back and use DCP/Repair Party. Triple/Quadruple fires are rarely a problem for me, but I'd imagine in situations where you can't fall back and your DCP/Repair Party is in cooldown, the skill would be useful. The 10% decrease in fire chance isn't too bad either.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,410 posts
3,407 battles

It could use a bit of a buff to firestarting rate reduction (IIRC, another 1-2%) or add a -15% to fire duration, but otherwise it's pretty much worth its 4 points. Especially on large ships like GK and Izumo.

Edited by YamatoA150

[BROOK]
1,981 posts

Because there isn't anything more useful at Tier 4 for Japanese BB drivers. (That and their god awful DCP uptime.)

Members
9 posts
1,861 battles
Just now, TornadoADV said:

Because there isn't anything more useful at Tier 4 for Japanese BB drivers. (That and their god awful DCP uptime.)

Well that's the Myogi, No one cares about that turd of a ship.

Members
88 posts
4,053 battles

It's absolutely useful on the Yamato, at least for me. When you're moving around in the Yamato, it's often the case that people will aim at your superstructure since it's the easiest target. When you're bow in, only the bow and the superstructure can be reliably hit. Fire Prevention both works extremely well in those cases to mitigate additional damage. 

As far as the actual reduction in fire chance, I'll say that I believe I've noticed a considerable decrease in random fires getting thrown on me, but that might be placebo. Regardless, with a semi-tank build (Damage control modifications 1 and 2), BoS, and FP, I never really have an issue with fires. 

[WOLFB]
Members
1,648 posts
8,024 battles

If it's useless to you, then don't take it. But don't come and complain about always burning with 2 fire. 

Fire Prevention is not useless at all. It allows you to only have  fire on your superstructure instead of 2. And where cruiser and DD are aiming at you do deal damage ? Yeah superstructure.

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[NWGNS]
Beta Testers
133 posts
4,696 battles

It's not that fire prevention is useless....it's that HE spam+fire is to good.

• Bad 2

[BROOK]
1,981 posts
21 minutes ago, _Radiance__2015 said:

Tier 4 as in Tier 4 Captain's Skill, not ship. :fish_nerv:

Members
5,020 posts
2,948 battles
55 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Which is pretty useless. I wouldn't use it if it were a 1 point skill, let alone a 4 point.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[CMFRT]
693 posts
1,687 battles
Just now, goldeagle1123 said:

Which is pretty useless. I wouldn't use it if it were a 1 point skill, let alone a 4 point.

I mean... it literally isnt. Since fire deals damage as a percentage of your health... having one less source of fire on your ship is huge. It means if youre kiting away or bow tanking and people are HEing you and hitting your bow/stern and super structure youre only ever in danger of taking 2 fires at most. Without it, hits to your super sturcture can set an additional fire, meaning you could suffer from 3 of them... even with proper use of your DCP and repair parties. 1 less fire is huge for survivability.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,048 posts
16,978 battles
34 minutes ago, _Radiance__2015 said:

I must object to this opinion. Myogi is simply a T4 battleship version of Konigsburg, Nurnburg, and Roon.

All four excell at running away while keeping 66% of their firepower focused towards the enemy. Poor WASD, bad aim, and trying to shoot from upper-medium to maximum ranges contribute more towards making Myogi 'bad,' than the ship itself.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
5,020 posts
2,948 battles
5 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

I mean... it literally isnt. Since fire deals damage as a percentage of your health... having one less source of fire on your ship is huge. It means if youre kiting away or bow tanking and people are HEing you and hitting your bow/stern and super structure youre only ever in danger of taking 2 fires at most. Without it, hits to your super sturcture can set an additional fire, meaning you could suffer from 3 of them... even with proper use of your DCP and repair parties. 1 less fire is huge for survivability.

In my 2656 battles I have been on fire in 4 spots maybe twice. So you're telling me a skill that is useful once every 1328 battles is useful? Hmm...

Edited by goldeagle1123

[CMFRT]
693 posts
1,687 battles
Just now, goldeagle1123 said:

In my 2656 battles I have been on fire in 4 spots maybe twice. So you're literally telling me a skill that is useful once every 1328 battles is useful? Hmm...

Im telling you that the function of not being able to take two fires on your superstructure is useful in every battle... because the super structure is the largest portion of your ship and will naturally take more HE hits resulting in double fires on that section alone. Meaning that even if you dont get set on fire 4 times, youre probably only going to take 1 fire most of the time, when you would have taken two otherwise.

Your number of battles it, literally, irrelevant to the conversation.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
2,428 posts
4,060 battles

I added it to my Musashi captain and...it has made no noticeable difference. I'm planning on respecing out of it soon. I can literally count on one hand the number of times that I've had four fires on my ship. It definitely seems to be a bit of a dud in the current meta, where the sheer number of HE shells flying around negate the minor fire chance reduction that the skill provides.

• Cool 1

Members
1,773 posts
17,335 battles

Sorry...tired...wasn't duplicating the "1 fire at most on superstructure instead of 2 on superstructure" aspect...my bad.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[PNG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
574 posts
3,911 battles
Just now, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:
  17 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

youre only ever in danger of taking 2 fires at most

Actually the stats are right in the description & you still can have 3 fires at once w/Fire Prevention instead of 4 (all ships have 4 potential fire/flood sections no matter what type of ship they are)...Fire Prevention reduces the potential fire sections down to 3 for ships it is applied to. Doesn't reduce it to 2 or 1...just 3 from the regular 4.

You took that out of context. He said prior to that, about 2 fires at most, if you are bow tanking or kiting.

14 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

In my 2656 battles I have been on fire in 4 spots maybe twice. So you're telling me a skill that is useful once every 1328 battles is useful? Hmm...

When I play Zao or any other fire starters I pay attention to how the fire sets on the super structure of battleships. I can usually get 3 fires pretty easily, 2 on the super structure and 1 on the bow or stern depending on how they turn.  4 fires doesn't make the difference, if you have 2 fires on your super structure you would have benefited so in your case I am confident it would have been beneficial in a much larger number of battles.

My Yamato and Roma, for example, FP is an absolute necessity as I find they are both easily set on fire and the Yamato especially gets focused.

• Cool 1

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,772 battles

The main advantage of the fire prevention skill is mitigating having TWO fires, not four. Without FP, a salvo to the superstructure will set two fires at a rate about 1/4 to 1/3 the rate it sets one fire, assuming half the shells which hit are dispersed on each fire point and uneven groupings most often result in one fire. With FP, this situation can't happen, as your superstructure is a single fire point. The chances of taking a single fire are reduced 10% (by the other part of the skill) and the double-fire salvos are eliminated. 

The few times you will get set on fire multiple times is by hits to the bow or stern in addition to your superstructure. The 10% reduction also applies here.

It is critical for battleship survivability, as more cruiser HE will hit your superstructure than anywhere else (as that is where people are aiming, and cruiser dispersion is quite good even at long range). It is less effective vs Conqueror-type salvos, since the relatively poor dispersion of battleship shells will result in more spread out hits. Assuming 4 equally spaced fire points, your expected number of fires is reduced by 10% plus whatever the chance of getting two superstructure fires are - say another 10-15%. You still take ~25% less fire damage. 

I often take up to 50% of my total damage from fires in a battleship, and the ones where I take less all have the FP skill. 

It has more of an effect than the -15% duration skill has - it is worth the points on any battleship.

• Cool 1