Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MajorHavoc

If you lose more ships and games than you sink and win;

14 comments in this topic

[R-F1]
Members
502 posts
21,541 battles

That's fine, it doesn't bother me at all.  Just please stop telling everyone else how much they suck after you sink.  Thanks!  

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,654 battles
1 hour ago, MajorHavoc said:

That's fine, it doesn't bother me at all.  Just please stop telling everyone else how much they suck after you sink.  Thanks!  

Agreed, the fact they have so much time to type says volumes.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,752 battles

Yeah this is not making much sense.

Sunk players can type since they aren't driving their ships, and the ability to switch camera views actually gives them good information that can help the team. 

Berating the team also works sometimes - the off chance that they will realize they are doing something wrong is worth it. 

Also, as humans we often feel better venting at others. There is a reason this type of chat exists in every PvP environment ever implemented. 

[R-F1]
Members
502 posts
21,541 battles
8 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Yeah this is not making much sense.

Sunk players can type since they aren't driving their ships, and the ability to switch camera views actually gives them good information that can help the team. 

Berating the team also works sometimes - the off chance that they will realize they are doing something wrong is worth it. 

Also, as humans we often feel better venting at others. There is a reason this type of chat exists in every PvP environment ever implemented. 

I disagree with all your points.  There are games out there where the pvp community is respectful, believe it or not.  Insulting me will never once make me play better, as a matter of fact it has, and will, make me start typing back at you instead of shooting and manuevering, or even get up for a cold drink or some fresh air.  And chances are if you are under 50% and/or 1.0 k/d, I could care less what you think I should do, but that's not the type of "critique" I'm referring to here, it's the name calling and generally disruptive vitriole that we all, unfortunately, are becoming accustomed to.  

Members
3,406 posts
6,067 battles
2 hours ago, MajorHavoc said:

I disagree with all your points.  There are games out there where the pvp community is respectful, believe it or not.  Insulting me will never once make me play better, as a matter of fact it has, and will, make me start typing back at you instead of shooting and manuevering, or even get up for a cold drink or some fresh air.  And chances are if you are under 50% and/or 1.0 k/d, I could care less what you think I should do, but that's not the type of "critique" I'm referring to here, it's the name calling and generally disruptive vitriole that we all, unfortunately, are becoming accustomed to.  

Actually - his points are valid.  The subject of the thread makes no sense, sunk players CAN provide great info (and more often than not DO provide info - from personal experience), some people do respond to getting yelled at (note he said SOME not all and not you specifically - though I don't berate others); constructive criticism of play is fine and can be done without berating, and people do like to vent - just look at any web forum that follows sports. 

His comments may not pertain to you specifically but in general - they are very valid.

[MIA-A]
Members
1,939 posts
6,545 battles

Whenever I am sunk when divisioning I do a lot of spotting for my teammates.

Knowing where guns are aimed, when boats fire, etc is useful information.

• Cool 1

[R-F1]
Members
502 posts
21,541 battles

You guys must be referring to the post where I said "If you are a decent player with a grasp of the game, please don't stick around and give intel and constructive criticism at the end of the match, Thanks"!

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

Whenever I am sunk when divisioning I do a lot of spotting for my teammates.

Knowing where guns are aimed, when boats fire, etc is useful information.

Exactly. "Dead" players can be an excellent source of information for the team because they can view the enemy from all angles and also can see the big picture of the whole game. Some people recognize this and utilize dead players to their full advantage. On the other hand, you oftentimes get "shut up noob UR ded idiot" types as well.

Yesterday I was dead and flying around when I saw three enemy ships go into smoke, each with less than a hundred hitpoints left. There was a full-health Kongo sitting behind an island right outside the smoke. I told him to go in, as I knew his secondaries alone would take out the three ships. I got a tirade of cursing from him, telling me to bleep the bleep up you bleeping ded bleep. Fortunately, a half-health Konig took my advice and went into the smoke. He killed two of the enemy and the third was taken out by the Kongo when he finally deigned to leave his island haven and join the fray. The team won but would have lost on points had both BBs waited for the smoke to dissipate.   

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

Whether or not you survive to the end of the battle is mostly irrelevant. HP are a valuable resource. If you reliably reach the end of the game with 50% of your resources, then you didn't fight as hard as you could have. Ideally you want to reach the end of the game with 1% of your resources remaining. That means you squeezed every ounce of resources into the fight.

Also, certain ships have drastically different life expectancies than others depending on what you're fighting. It is far easier for a BB to live to game's end than it is for a DD to do so in a match vs 5 radar equipped ships and a CV. Likewise it is far easier for certain cruisers (of types known to spent all their time behind islands or in smoke) to survive to later in the game, than those whose guns can't fire over obstacles or don't have smoke.

Then there's the notion that some people are better at tactics than tapping keys. Someone with a disability that limits the use of their hands might play poorly, but that doesn't mean that they don't have a good read of the battle and what it takes to win it.

It would be far better to say, that regardless of who gives the advice, you should evaluate that advice based on its merits - not based on whether the speaker/typer is alive in-game, or has this or that stat. Sometimes those with really pretty stat blocks, absolutely suck at reading a battlefield (but they are really good at WASD). Sometimes those with really great battlefield awareness, really suck at WASD. Controlling a ship and reading a battlefield are two separate skills. There are some who are good at both, but many others who are only good at one or the other.

What about the player with low stats because they're the one who is willing to put their ship in harms way to plug a gaping whole that their team left open, trying to delay the enemy long enough to get the attention of their teammates? Their stats may suck, but if not for them the team would have been outflanked.

Dismissing advice solely because you don't like the stats of the adviser, especially since the stats tracked and publicly available are some of the worst stats to use to rate actual skill, is a mistake. 

• Cool 1

[R-F1]
Members
502 posts
21,541 battles
15 hours ago, MajorHavoc said:

how much they suck after you sink

I see no talk of advice there.  Do I have to spell this out or do people not know the people I'm referring to?  You've never met the 41% er with .6 k/d that makes it 11 vs 12 in 3 minutes flat then calls his team bottom feeders and worthless [cats].  For real?  Must be nice.  

Edited by MajorHavoc

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,622 battles
14 hours ago, MajorHavoc said:

Had a guy precisely like you mentioned..coaching me how to angle my ship,where to position your ship,and what not.

For a moment i thought to myself "he might be right,im an idiot!"..LOL!

Turns out iirc he got 44/46%WR,14/15k avg.dmg,below 20% hit rate and 3k battles.

At least that day he got a lesson for me to learn:Smile_teethhappy:

• Bad 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

Most dead guys just whine a lot.  They die early and they proceed to let everyone know in chat how its someone else's fault that they died two minutes into a match.  Now I'm no expert at this game, but it seems like the longer you live, the more opportunity you have to help win a match -- assuming of course you're not hiding in the corner and contributing nothing to your team.   The vast majority of dead guy chat i see provides about zero insight into match specific tactics.  Sooo...I typically ignore dead guy chat.  Every once in a while a dead guy might provide some useful commentary.  But that's usually an exception rather than a rule to dead guy chat.   

Sign in to follow this