Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LukeV

Saipan/Kaga Question, and Coupon?

14 comments in this topic

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,661 battles

Decided to make this a thread. Double query.

I understand that a skilled CV operator makes all the difference. And I have little experience playing CV's, nor do I intend to for the immediate future. However, are the Saipan/Kaga worth picking up,  simply due to the fact that they are above average/OP CVs? ARE they even OP?

I bought Imperator, Gremmy, and Konig Albert when they first released, and with the so called impending CV changes... will these ships be unique enough in the future to warrant purchasing in terms of load outs, strength of striking/fighters, etc. I understand this is speculative.

Also, how on earth do I activate ore redeem a coupon in Premium shop? Nothing shows to be discounted.

Thank you in advance!

[-K-]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

Both CVs are generally perceived to be better than their tech tree counterparts when in capable hands.

As for the premium shop, there's a checkbox for selecting which coupons you want to use when you're selecting your method of payment. If it doesn't show up, the coupon can't be used with that item. Checking the little information symbol on the coupon reveals this:
0dKWdYq.png

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,323 posts
14,695 battles

I have both.  With Saipan  you can dominate the air to air battle but you really can't carry as well due to the gimped strike capability.  With Kaga you can contribute stronger to the success of the mission (unless you run into a good Saipan :-) )

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Saipan is going to be easier to pick up. Kaga is amazing, but you have the weakest planes of anyone, so you need to employ more tactics, more often, to succeed in her. Also, IMO, Kaga wasn't different enough from the Hiryu for me to buy one.

Beta Testers
1,299 posts
3,583 battles
49 minutes ago, DudeWhereIsMyTank said:

I was wondering about Kaga myself. Has best win ratio of all CVs

1 hour ago, LukeV said:

I understand that a skilled CV operator makes all the difference. And I have little experience playing CV's, nor do I intend to for the immediate future. However, are the Saipan/Kaga worth picking up,  simply due to the fact that they are above average/OP CVs? ARE they even OP?

I bought Imperator, Gremmy, and Konig Albert when they first released, and with the so called impending CV changes... will these ships be unique enough in the future to warrant purchasing in terms of load outs, strength of striking/fighters, etc. I understand this is speculative.

Also, how on earth do I activate ore redeem a coupon in Premium shop? Nothing shows to be discounted.

Thank you in advance!

Kaga for offensive power Saipian for defensive power both play pretty well I enjoy Kaga well , because I can sink more things with it. Saipan just hasn't caught on with me yet. I would choose Kaga out of the two of them. Yes both require a good skilled crew

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,661 battles
59 minutes ago, Final_Spark said:

Both CVs are generally perceived to be better than their tech tree counterparts when in capable hands.

As for the premium shop, there's a checkbox for selecting which coupons you want to use when you're selecting your method of payment. If it doesn't show up, the coupon can't be used with that item. Checking the little information symbol on the coupon reveals this:
0dKWdYq.png

I have seen the light.

Do you get the equivalent in gold if you purchase a ship you already have? Or silver?

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,661 battles
37 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Saipan is going to be easier to pick up. Kaga is amazing, but you have the weakest planes of anyone, so you need to employ more tactics, more often, to succeed in her. Also, IMO, Kaga wasn't different enough from the Hiryu for me to buy one.

So your saying the Saipan is more unique compared to Kaga and the Hiryu.

Just trying to anticipate future game changes. Maybe Saipan's Tier 9 planes and loadout will be very unique and useful in the future iterations of the game.

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,026 posts
10,214 battles

Saipan has one very striking advantage in the air to air battle between CV's:  When one of it's fighters is locked up in a fight with enemy fighters, it can strafe out of the combat and not lose a plane.  Every other fighter squadron loses one plane as the price of strafing out of a fighter vs fighter furball. His combined with the fact that the Saipan uses tier 9 aircraft gives them a huge speed advantage as well.  Expect to lose the air superiority battle if you are facing a Saipan.

The 2 Fighter 2 Torp Bomber set up is easy to control, double up the torp bombers and it's like only controlling one unit,  Just strafe away with your fighters, knowing that even when they run out of ammo, they can reload and get back out quickly due to small squadron size and high speed.

Kaga on the other hand, requires a lot more thought and baiting to keep it's two low tier fighter squadrons alive.  To compensate, it has a plentiful number of torpedo planes and EXTREMELY accurate dive bombers ( small bombs  for low damage but good fire starting ).  The funky torp pattern and large number of planes allows the Kaga to do devastating cross drops that even DD's have a hard time avoiding at speed.  It wins at a higher rate because it has enough torp bombers to keep pumping out damage throughout the length of a match.

If you are serious about both the IJN and US CV lines, I would get them both, they are OP in different ways and both are quite fun to play ( confession - I play the Saipan on my sons account sometimes ).

[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,052 battles

Premium CV are OP compared to their original counterpart.

Saipan is broken with her T9 planes (plus the immunity to plane loss when strafing away). Compared to Ranger, she's straight up better.

Kaga has weaker planes but their firepower is pretty scary. Compared to Hirryu, Kaga has a better firepower but other than that it's not really different.

What makes Kaga less OP than Saipan is the fact that she has T6 planes, meaning if you lose attention for 1 or 2 sec, your planes will melt under T7-8 AA. Saipan on the other hands has almost invincible planes for her tier, and if you face T5 (which is common), Kongou, Texas, New York, Omaha, Furutaka... they will just do anything against your plane. Did I mention Saipan's valkyrie DB ? 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,648 posts
14,025 battles
4 hours ago, LukeV said:

Thank you in advance!

Kaga and Saipan are both very strong Tier VII CVs, but for different reasons.

Kaga has world ending attack power.  She has poor fighter power to contest the skies since they are only Tier VI.  If you're facing a half-competent CV player you have an uphill battle to contest the skies.  But your attack power is so strong that it offsets everything else.  The key are the 12 TBs in 2 units, with a very unconventional drop pattern.  This isn't like Enterprise TB drops where the gaps between the torps are so large that Battleships are easily combing the drops.  Kaga's torp drops are staggered and dense.  Even DDs get obliterated by them as the normal evasion / combing maneuvers don't work against Kaga drops.  The test of skill however is getting Kaga to contribute and still sink ships, do lots of damage in the face of CVs with far stronger fighter power.  Nuking stuff is how Kaga wins matches, not sweeping the skies clear of planes.  Unless you count nuking the enemy CV as a way of "sweeping the skies clear of planes."  I have seen Kaga players nuke opposing CVs in one go with pure alpha strike damage.  No DOT stacking, just raw TB & DB damage in one go.

Saipan wins by dominating enemy CVs in the air.  The attack power honestly isn't all that.  If you do 3/0/1 you have only 1 DB unit to do damage, not that reliable.  If you go 2/2/0, you have 2 TB units!  But they're only 3 planes each!  They're pretty prone to AA attrition.  But Saipan wins by swatting planes and making the enemy CV irrelevant.  Hell, I've seen 2 CV per team matches where Saipan shoots up the planes for BOTH the opposing CVs.  That is how dominating she is in the air if she's in the right hands.  She wins by shooting up the enemy planes, making the enemy CV(s) irrelevant, then having her way later on with her bombers, and her team having little to worry about bomber attacks.  That's influencing a match.

Both ships stand apart quite a bit from the tech tree ones at Tier VII.  They are very unique.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,287 posts
6,455 battles

HazeGrey gave a good rundown.  As a Kaga owner though, I'd like to add a bit more on:

If you're new to CV play, don't get Kaga.  She's always the underdog when it comes to the air war.  If you are not on point with your fighters, they'll get wiped very fast and with almost no enemy fighter kills.  And once you lose them you lose a lot of your power projection.  Amazing TBs don't matter if you can't get them in position before the enemy fighters show up.  Kaga lives and dies by predicting the enemy fighters and exploiting the gaps.

Saipan on the other hand has a comfortable air presence and has a "get out of jail free" card for fighter engagements.  Her planes are also very fast.  Being more forgiving will make for more fun games, and lets you learn without getting shut out as much too.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,767 posts
5,806 battles

Get the Saipan, its more forgiving if you are new to CV's. Once you get good with AS I suggest going for the 2TB squad package. Ive watched Saipans rack up Krakens in this setup with startling regularity.

Kaga requires experience to drive well. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,121 posts
18,636 battles

I only play my higher tier CV's in PvE.

So it depends realy what you want.

USS Saipan can dominate the sky but has little offensive power. And don't care how OP your planes are: if you meet a competend CV play he will strafe back or get you into a battle near a AA ship. The small amount of planes means everyone you lose hurts you. You alro  need a 10 point captain for the air superiority skill. In AS loadout you have only 1 attack flight with DB. They have a small hit area without the manual drop skill so you can easy one shot DD.

The Kaga has a awesome offensive power with her TB and the drop pattern. Her fighters are meh but you can compensate for some with the dogfighting expert skill. You basicly want to lure the enemy fighters near a AA ship or try to strafe them. You have a higher number of planes compared to the Saipan but if you are careless and waste them near AA ships you are done fast. They are more or less the 1941 models of the planes while the Hiryu get the next generation of the fighters and DB.

Both are unique but in the hands of the usual no skill CV player not as OP as many say. You need skill to make up for their weaknesses and minimum a 10/11 point captain.

Sign in to follow this