You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Turbotush

Stuck on a dam island

30 comments in this topic

[SAA]
Members
814 posts
26,761 battles

Just want to say that getting stuck on an island is a mechanic we could do with out.

I could be wrong, but it really sucks grounding and just sitting there having a DD sneak up on your azz end and slaming it full of torps.  You might say that I am butt hurt about it.

:Smile_teethhappy:

Why not just make it difficult to extricate your ship and not impossible?

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
674 posts
6,159 battles

I imagine it would take some fairly complex code to anticipate all the nooks and crannies players might find their way into, and prevent it.

I myself have spent minutes trying to extract myself more than once, so I feel your pain.

[VVV]
Beta Testers
799 posts
5,155 battles

I feel like if you ground yourself or get in shallow water, Your hull should rip open and you start flooding where you can't stop it until you sink. 

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,836 battles

Sometimes being "butt hurt" is the only option!

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,169 battles
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I imagine it would take some fairly complex code to anticipate all the nooks and crannies players might find their way into, and prevent it.

Maybe, maybe not. If they can calculate the normal to the island collision mesh, then it would be very simple. If you have your ship at reverse or full forward and your ship speed is less than 0.5 knots, then you gain 0.5 knots normal to the collision mesh until you are, say for example, 5 meters away from the collision mesh, at which point you lose the 0.5 knot push. This should work. The reason I say that your ship needs to be in reverse or full forward is that you might want to intentionally beach yourself and stay there for cover, in which case you won't be backing out (or steaming ahead if you reversed into the island). Otherwise, you're probably stuck and trying to get out in reverse or full forward but you're barely making 0.1 knots.

[PVE]
Members
1,594 posts
6,699 battles

Oh no! Not those sneaky islands again! lol

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Just wait till you're driving by a Crescent Bay and a DD or BB tackles your ship into it... it's happened accidentally to me once or twice. But some of those bays are perfectly big enough to squeeze a Cleveland class Cruiser into with no chance of escape. 

There's also some areas where if you're evasive at full speed and you hit the corner while turning, your ship's momentum will also trap you inside a Bay. 

[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles

Happened to me once in the operation The Ultimate Frontier.  The location where the repair circle is has an island with a pier jutting out, I managed to get my cruiser stuck on it once and couldn't get out until someone on the team gave me a push (no friendly damage in operations).  It was hilarious and luckily no bots sneak up on me while I was stuck.

[7RET]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
114 posts
6,256 battles

Coincidentally, this has only happened once where I actually got stuck and couldn't find the right wiggle to get out in my whole time playing this game, and it happened yesterday. I think I was in my Atlanta

[AR15]
Members
393 posts
2,779 battles

When you get stuck on an island just remember.

we-all-float-down-here.jpg

Edited by JToney3449

[TURDS]
Members
552 posts
3,612 battles

Running aground and getting that stuck should be called the "Extreme Tactical Notser"

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
Just now, Curly__san said:

Running aground and getting that stuck should be called the "Extreme Tactical Notser"

Haven't watched all his streams or all his vids. But from the ones I have seen I cannot recall him ever getting "that stuck" so it wouldn't be fair to attribute the "Tactical Maneuver" to him lol. 

[4HIM]
Members
1,701 posts
3,864 battles

Seems like every time I "pull a Notser" it is fatal.  He seems to be the only one to be able to do it and not take mega-damage in the process.  

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,027 posts
3,845 battles
10 hours ago, Peregrinas said:

Maybe, maybe not. If they can calculate the normal to the island collision mesh, then it would be very simple. If you have your ship at reverse or full forward and your ship speed is less than 0.5 knots, then you gain 0.5 knots normal to the collision mesh until you are, say for example, 5 meters away from the collision mesh, at which point you lose the 0.5 knot push. This should work. The reason I say that your ship needs to be in reverse or full forward is that you might want to intentionally beach yourself and stay there for cover, in which case you won't be backing out (or steaming ahead if you reversed into the island). Otherwise, you're probably stuck and trying to get out in reverse or full forward but you're barely making 0.1 knots.

As ships didnt 'intentionally beach themselves for cover', maybe WoT is a better venue?

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
79 posts
8,297 battles
On 2/7/2018 at 5:42 AM, ZARDOZ_II said:

Seems like every time I "pull a Notser" it is fatal.  He seems to be the only one to be able to do it and not take mega-damage in the process.  

:) I think everyone is just so excited to see it they are too distracted to aim as precise as they should lol

[NUWES]
Members
1,639 posts
5,480 battles
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, DiddleDum said:

Me trying to dislodge from an island....

tenor.gif

I had one like this in Montana (not a BB known for agility). I was stuck for more than 7 min. I somehow apparently did a handbrake turn moving into position to flank the enemy and wreck their last BB and slid aground on an invisible rock and couldn't get unstuck.  My last remaining teammate went down and I got that message saying that I was my team's only hope. The only reason I didn't feel like hurling my mouse (I was having one of my best Montana games ever and we were winning) was that it was rather funny that they couldn't find me for so long.  I was 10km behind them the whole time stuck on the other side of a small island. They finally found me right as the timer counted down. (We lost on points anyway.) 

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles

I suppose we could be thankful that running aground or grazing alongside a rocky shore doesn't either leave us permanently grounded or rip the hull open and sink the ship.

Your ship barely, slightly touching an enemy ship results in the instant destruction of both ships, but running at flank speed headlong into an island, instantly coming to a dead stop, does absolutely nothing.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,024 posts

I give to you the royal navies Friday toast:

"To a willing foe, and sea room."

Makes me want to play Ocean.

[NUWES]
Members
1,639 posts
5,480 battles
2 hours ago, Quaffer said:

I give to you the royal navies Friday toast:

"To a willing foe, and sea room."

Makes me want to play Ocean.

Lol. Not me. Nothing ever makes me want to play Ocean. I'd rather run aground and tear the bottom open. 

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
On 07/02/2018 at 2:07 AM, Peregrinas said:

The problem is these stuck situations happen when different bits get stuck on different sides of a piece of mesh that is defined as "ship cannot move through this". So that wouldn;t help because the collishin is blocking movement. It's not an engine power or push force issue, it's a raw collision mesh issue.