Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zubalkabir

Potential vs Actual Damage

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

63
[DOG]
Members
378 posts
5,554 battles

 

Okay, I guess I've been figuring this incorrectly the whole time.  How can my actual damage be more than my potential damage?

image.thumb.png.2eb7fb53e0cad08d437d585cd8a2c885.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
724
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Potential damage is against you- not what you did. So that much damage was "aimed" at you in the form of shells that missed. 

Edited by Gascan75
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[R-F]
Members
672 posts
6,159 battles

Potential damage refers to the maximum potential damage of the people shooting AT YOU.  Higher = you got shot at more.  Lower = you got shot at less.  Has nothing to do with your shooting.  And no, this is not very clear in-game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
724
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

It does raise the question though now that it's come up- does it count torpedoes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,123
[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,106 posts
18,622 battles
3 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

It does raise the question though now that it's come up- does it count torpedoes?

Yes. You earn tons of potential damage if you torpedobeat through a wall of skill from a Shima.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,029 posts

 

27 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Yes. You earn tons of potential damage if you torpedobeat through a wall of skill from a Shima.

I was under the impression it wasn't what was aimed at you, but what came within a certain distance, so that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[R-F]
Members
672 posts
6,159 battles

The funny thing is, I can't find an OFFICIAL definition of Potential Damage anywhere.  Can anyone else?  If you search for it all you get are threads like this one, or threads on reddit.  Players answering the questions of other players.  It's nice and all but there is potential for misinformation to spread that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,273
[HINON]
Members
8,807 posts
2 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

 

I was under the impression it wasn't what was aimed at you, but what came within a certain distance, so that makes sense.

I think it's within 500 meters afaik. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85
[NBB]
Members
484 posts
2,300 battles

It's supposed to be damage that was aimed at you. In this game, within 500 meters is de facto aimed at you. So it's like the damage you dodged, mine is in the millions per game usually. It must count the maximum per shell, like 8k per AP shell, when in fact most AP hits do 1k and a citadel hit is 11k (at tier 5). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,273
[HINON]
Members
8,807 posts
4 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

The funny thing is, I can't find an OFFICIAL definition of Potential Damage anywhere.  Can anyone else?  If you search for it all you get are threads like this one, or threads on reddit.  Players answering the questions of other players.  It's nice and all but there is potential for misinformation to spread that way.

It's in these patch notes 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[R-F]
Members
672 posts
6,159 battles
4 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

It's in these patch notes 

 

So it is.  Why don't we just spell it out here, since it's so hard to find:

Amount of potential damage (damage received and blocked - maximum damage of all shells, bombs or torpedoes that hit the player's ship or were within 500- radius from her)

So I suppose if for whatever reason you're on a mission to maximize your potential damage (if for no other reason, it rewards more experience) and you see some torps heading by, it might behoove you to get pretty close to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
63
[DOG]
Members
378 posts
5,554 battles

Ah.  I didn't realize it was damage aimed at me.  And  I was reading the word "potential" as "the maximum that can possibly happen."  I was just confused as to how the actual damage could exceed the theoretical maximum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
258
[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

i would suggest WG add a number "potential damage delivered", and changed the current one to "potential damage received"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
724
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Even spelled out to the letter it's still ambiguous- to me since I'm one brain cell away from a crayon. 

Torp damage or HE shell damage considering a fire is left to burn or a leak unmitigated or just the alpha damage? I don't really mind either way but... if the subject comes up again I'd like to help out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles
16 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

Even spelled out to the letter it's still ambiguous- to me since I'm one brain cell away from a crayon. 

Torp damage or HE shell damage considering a fire is left to burn or a leak unmitigated or just the alpha damage? I don't really mind either way but... if the subject comes up again I'd like to help out. 

It counts only potential alpha damage.

 

There are reasons to try and maximize it under certain circumstances because some of the mission tasks in the Honorable Service and Yamamoto campaigns require hitting certain potential damage thresholds.  I've had the damned "1.5 million potential damage and survive the battle in a DD" task active for about a month and still haven't gotten it.  I'm starting to think that's a Khabarovsk specific task because it just doesn't seem likely I'll ever pull that off in the USN and IJN DD's I play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[R-F]
Members
672 posts
6,159 battles
39 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

It counts only potential alpha damage.

 

There are reasons to try and maximize it under certain circumstances because some of the mission tasks in the Honorable Service and Yamamoto campaigns require hitting certain potential damage thresholds.  I've had the damned "1.5 million potential damage and survive the battle in a DD" task active for about a month and still haven't gotten it.  I'm starting to think that's a Khabarovsk specific task because it just doesn't seem likely I'll ever pull that off in the USN and IJN DD's I play.

My record on my Fletcher is 3 million potential damage.  It helps to have a completely incompetent carrier driver on your team, so the enemy can assign you your own personal fighter squadron escort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
170
[CAST]
Members
1,157 posts
7,159 battles
2 hours ago, AspiringCodger said:

 

I was under the impression it wasn't what was aimed at you, but what came within a certain distance, so that makes sense.

If the torps were fired while the indicator was locked on your ship, then they were fired at you and count towards potential damage.  All shots fired work the same way.  You can actually trick the system by locking onto a ship and then unlocking before firing.  Those shots or torps won't count towards potential damage, nor will they show up on a long range indicator (not that anyone uses that captain perk anyway).  

You can receive more damage than is indicated by potential damage because a shot or torp that hits you but was aimed at another ship won't count as potential damage.  Also, fire and flooding doesn't count as potential damage and can often cause the total damage value to exceed the hit value of the shots fired when added to the alpha damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,029 posts
13 hours ago, Murcc said:

If the torps were fired while the indicator was locked on your ship, then they were fired at you and count towards potential damage.  All shots fired work the same way.  You can actually trick the system by locking onto a ship and then unlocking before firing.  Those shots or torps won't count towards potential damage, nor will they show up on a long range indicator (not that anyone uses that captain perk anyway).  

You can receive more damage than is indicated by potential damage because a shot or torp that hits you but was aimed at another ship won't count as potential damage.  Also, fire and flooding doesn't count as potential damage and can often cause the total damage value to exceed the hit value of the shots fired when added to the alpha damage.

That's not how it works.  It has to be within a 700m range and I don't think it matters whether it was locked or not.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/31444-some-interesting-info-around-the-world/?page=183&tab=comments#comment-1330084

Looking back at prior posts, it seems Niko and Octavian disagree on the distance lol.

Edited by AspiringCodger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
170
[CAST]
Members
1,157 posts
7,159 battles

This has been discussed many times.  There seems to be some differing info on how it is measured.  I wish WG would just publish the parameters of the game so there would be no guessing based on changing information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×