Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Montana

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

Montana is the only T10 BB that I don't have in my port.  I do have Missouri and Alabama.  Does Montana offer something that other T10 BBs can't handle?  I am not looking forward to grinding past NC and Iowa when I already own their premium counter parts, the motivation is not quite there...

[MIA-A]
Members
1,974 posts
6,570 battles

How about that it's fun to play, its gameplay isn't as lame as the Yamato/Megazaos, and it's just a well rounded boat?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles

Iowa isn't a grind, it is an amazing experience in my personal opinion.

Montana has her 12 guns which gives you a very large dispersion area of impact... great for targeting smaller ships due to your higher shell count and therefore higher chance of hitting another ship.

She is a fun ship to tank in, great for kiting away from targets thanks to her 4 turrets.

Definitely would recommend man! Happy hunting

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,120 posts
18,636 battles

Good ship, nothing more, nothing less. Before the KM and RN BB she was the move agile alternative to the Yamato. Now she just got powercreeped by the new lines. And no, after you have the second hull the Iowa grind isn't bad anymore.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

There's a reason Montana is the favored BB for clan wars and various tournaments.  It's the most well-rounded tier 10 BB in the game.  Lots of strengths, few weaknesses.  Good in nearly every situation.

• Cool 1

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

as well as what everyone else has said she also has the best AA of all of the tier X BBs overall(some have better DPS at close, medium or long range but the Montano beats them in the other two)

[-K-]
Members
5,082 posts
8,967 battles

With T8 usually being the bottom-tier in T10 matches, it's nice to be the top dog once in awhile.

[5BS]
Members
4,495 posts

IMO, nothing Monty does (other than AA), Conqueror can't do better: What Monty has in outright HP, Conq makes up for in super heal. What Monty has in a slight AP pen edge, Conq makes up for burn potential and lower AP overpen chance. Both 'feel' similar in gameplay but I find Conq much more enjoyable to play and a bit more fitting my hit close and run style of play. Also, with it's great stealth, it makes a VERY good DD hunter. I pity the DD that is within 11 km of me when HE is loaded. And I've caused more dets in the Conq than any other ship except the Fletcher.

That said, the Monty is all but immune to air attacks, especially early match when your AA is all healthy and up. It means she can, in a match where enemy CV's are present, rush forward and maybe take out a full wave of enemy planes without having to think twice. Her AP is nice, but IMO is a bit too inaccurate for a T10, but it makes up for it a little by having 12 barrels.

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles
24 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

There's a reason Montana is the favored BB for clan wars and various tournaments.  It's the most well-rounded tier 10 BB in the game.  Lots of strengths, few weaknesses.  Good in nearly every situation.

pretty much this. 

i passed on getting the Monty a long time ago thinking it wouldn't be worth it.  Around the time i got my Mo, i decided to go ahead and buy it while it was on sale.   I dont regret buying it.  All around solid ship.  12 accurate guns can put a hurt on any target.  it has some pretty good turret angles. 

with that said, i think the Conq is still the best tier 10 BB.  its HE is very nasty, and its AP which is under valued is still very potent.  the AA advantage the Monty has will be gone by the mid to late part of the match.  One or 2 good Conq salvos could probably remove most of the AA.  Its heals allow it to come back from the dead.   it still has great stealth, even after its nerf.  i still find it hilarious they wanted to give it radar. 

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles
27 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

That said, the Monty is all but immune to air attacks, especially early match when your AA is all healthy and up. It means she can, in a match where enemy CV's are present, rush forward and maybe take out a full wave of enemy planes without having to think twice. Her AP is nice, but IMO is a bit too inaccurate for a T10, but it makes up for it a little by having 12 barrels.

I find AA on BB extremely situational.  You don't see CV in every game, and when you do any half decent high tier CV driver will do his best to avoid a ship like Montana and Missouri that is at full health.  Then, you get full face of HE during the match, and your AA is all but gone by the end game, so when CV does decide you finally deserved some attention - your AA does not mean squat anymore.  I learned it the hard way, when I got sunk on fully AA specced Missouri by Kaga of all things...

<EDIT> I logged 122 games on Musashi in randoms, only once I got totally owned by dedicated CV...  Once out of 122 games.  It was Midway, and if I was on Montana it would not change the outcome, I would sink just the same.  Perhaps in competitive clan wars environment things are different, but in randoms your AA does not matter.

Edited by Ramsalot

[5BS]
Members
4,495 posts
5 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I find AA on BB extremely situational.  You don't see CV in every game, and when you do any half decent high tier CV driver will do his best to avoid a ship like Montana and Missouri that is at full health.  Then, you get full face of HE during the match, and your AA is all but gone by the end game, so when CV does decide you finally deserved some attention - your AA does not mean squat anymore.  I learned it the hard way, when I got sunk on fully AA specced Missouri by Kaga of all things...

That's why I never spec for AA in USN Ships; CV's assume you are immune, and by the end of the match, you aren't typically anyway. But it is the sole advantage the Monty has over her tier mates... well it was until France, which apparently has AA that far outstrips her.

But aside from that, na, I'd skip the Monty if I didnt already have it. The Conq is basically a Monty for WoWs +2 years; Zombie Heal is a blast, her 12 guns are accurate enough to snipe DD's from 20 km away, her HE performance is great and her AP performance is one of the great, surprise assets that most opponents will laugh off (I think that's why I like the Conq so much, it reminds me of the Balt which also has a helluva sleeper AP ability that most enemies ignore until it's too late). Conq's really only failing is worthless secondaries (which for such a stealthy ship, is annoying, since you find yourself in secondary range A LOT) and that she's a bit more susceptible to Alpha than other Tier X's. Even if she can HEAL 5 torp hits worth of damage, doesn't mean she can SURVIVE that many torps. And if you don't mind being seen from space, the GK is basically TX, easymode edition, as between Sonar HUGE health reserves, and punishing secondaries makes most targets wither. It's not as FUN as the Conq, but it's much easier to do well in.

Edited by _RC1138

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles
5 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

That's why I never spec for AA in USN Ships; CV's assume you are immune, and by the end of the match, you aren't typically anyway. But it is the sole advantage the Monty has over her tier mates... well it was until France, which apparently has AA that far outstrips her.

I thought, and do correct me if I am wrong, that Montana has more accurate guns and better tanking ability when compared to Conqueror.  I love the Conqueror, but it does melt like warm butter on the stove when in focus, so you have to stick to second line and have your head on the swivel.  I thought Montana is much sturdier.

[5BS]
Members
4,495 posts
7 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I thought, and do correct me if I am wrong, that Montana has more accurate guns and better tanking ability when compared to Conqueror.  I love the Conqueror, but it does melt like warm butter on the stove when in focus, so you have to stick to second line and have your head on the swivel.  I thought Montana is much sturdier.

I find the Conq much more sturdy because of that heal and nearly impossible to hit citadel and funky armor scheme. And the more Floaty super heavies of the Monty make it more inaccurate than the more direct firing Conq guns: you'll find Monty's shells overpenning upper belts and super structure FAR more often the Conq who will get maybe fewer Cits over their lifetime, but WAY more normal pens (combined with lower pen and faster fuzes) and it's those normal pens that rack up high. And then you toss in HE into the mix and you can have a target burning while blowing out it's machine spaces with AP. Basically a target is only not on fire if you DECIDE to let it not be on fire.

[TF16B]
Members
8,064 posts
17,029 battles
46 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I logged 122 games on Musashi in randoms,

Holy...

The thing has barely been out a month or two,,,

Had so much trouble with lolfail overpen damage and just about zero overmatch effect (ricochet ribbons from shooting at a chappy,) testing it out in Co-op, I haven't even decided if I want to bother trying it out in Randoms yet.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
779 posts
6,640 battles

Compared to the Iowa/Missouri, Montana gains significantly stronger belt armor, three extra guns, and slightly better AA. She's the staple battleship pick for clan battles and competitive events due to her more precise dispersion relative to the other 12 gun battleships. 

If a 12 gun battleship with good dispersion appeals to you, then go for the Montana. If you'd rather have a stealthier battleship that can (slightly) outrun a Des Moines with good stealth and AA to boot, stick with your Missouri.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles
41 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Holy...

The thing has barely been out a month or two,,,

Had so much trouble with lolfail overpen damage and just about zero overmatch effect (ricochet ribbons from shooting at a chappy,) testing it out in Co-op, I haven't even decided if I want to bother trying it out in Randoms yet.

I love it.  I played it side by side with Yamato going for that 100 wins in top 3 emblem.  I can compare them side by side with over 100 games each in same timeframe.  Surprisingly all stats align almost perfectly with slight edge to Musashi.  The lack of AA, worse secondaries, and less accuracy don’t affect one over the other.  MM is most definitely softer on Musashi, and commander XP it makes is insane.  I was able to level brand new Giulio Cesare captain from 1 to 19 in no time just playing Yamato and Musashi since they released emblems.

Sign in to follow this