You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lillehuntrix

Commander retraining bingo returns

4 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

With the return of clan battles in patch 0.7.1, we will be given access to three more tier X rental ships (Montana, Grozovoi, Zao), which will disappear and be replaced by others with 0.7.2.  Whether or not you play clan battles, these rental ships appear to offer the same or perhaps even a superior opportunity for free (?) commander retrains as last time.

Here are the relevant clauses from the patch notes:

• The ships are given for temporary use and will be removed from accounts with the release of Update 0.7.2
  • You will be able to re-assign Commanders to rented ships without penalty

• If a Commander recruited to helm a rented ship is subsequently reassigned to a different ship, his specialization will automatically change to the ship he's assigned to at the moment when the Update [0.7.2] goes live. Commander skills, however, will not be reset

So, if I read this correctly...

Scenario: you have a Benson captain with a very particular set of skills (oh, I don't know, something like PM PT LS AR SE BFT TAE CE...yeah, OK, maybe not that particular), whom you wish to reassign to a Fletcher that you also have in port.  When 0.7.1 drops, you assign him to the rental Montana.  He is retrained to the Montana for free, keeping his current skills.  Then, you assign him to your Fletcher; you act as if you're going to grind the retrain out and don't even spend 200K silver.  For the time being, he sits on your Fletcher in retraining.  However, when 0.7.2 happens, because he has passed through the rental Montana, it sounds like he will be automatically fully retrained to the Fletcher.  His skills remain intact throughout.

Are others interpreting this the same way?  

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,523 battles

Hard to say. Technically, the commander will be in "Retraining for Fletcher" (with the half-strength skills penalty) with a CXP deficit at the time the reassignment occurs. I don't see any reason why WG wouldn't leave him in that state.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles
2 hours ago, jason199506 said:

only commandomers recruited on the rental ships i think

Yeah, that last clause is ambiguous - possibly.  But in any case it is a bit strange, because it implies that the captain's past will be remembered, which otherwise never happens.  I.e., if your reading is correct, if I recruit a new captain to the rental Montana and immediately switch him to Fletcher, such that he is retraining for Fletcher when 0.7.2 occurs, he will be instantly retrained (but not if I run my Benson captain through the rental to Fletcher).

1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Hard to say. Technically, the commander will be in "Retraining for Fletcher" (with the half-strength skills penalty) with a CXP deficit at the time the reassignment occurs. I don't see any reason why WG wouldn't leave him in that state.

(By the way, your Musashi deleted my Tashkent the other day after I had barely survived an encounter with your team's Kidd.  I thought I was home free; nice shot.)

Well, in any case, if you are in this position and are willing to wait, there is little harm trying.  If I need to get my Benson captain retrained to Fletcher anyway and I try this route, the worst that happens is that I actually do have to retrain him.

I hate to ask for support on a post that is all about gaming the system, but @Radar_X, is there any chance you could seek clarification on the third bullet point from the patch notes I quote above?  Does "recruited" only mean a brand new captain recruited to one of the rentals, or does "recruited" also mean a captain assigned to one of the rentals from another ship?