Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Pinhead_

Alabama scout plane

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
96 posts
6,895 battles

What kind of scout plane is on USS Alabama why not a kingfisher scout plane.I have no idea what kind of scout plane is on alabama why wows put that scout plane on it.I never seen that plane before and i know my ww2 planes.Can anybody tell me what kind of plane is that on alabama.

shot-18.02.06_09.28.03-0938.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,303
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
38 minutes ago, Hjr1966 said:

Thanks for the info Chaos_EN2 :Smile_Default:

NP glad to help, I have an Alabama as well and the plane is not that well known.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
253
[REVY]
Members
941 posts
7,317 battles
1 hour ago, Hjr1966 said:

What kind of scout plane is on USS Alabama why not a kingfisher scout plane.I have no idea what kind of scout plane is on alabama why wows put that scout plane on it.I never seen that plane before and i know my ww2 planes.Can anybody tell me what kind of plane is that on alabama.

 

57 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

It looks like an Curtiss SC Seahawk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_SC_Seahawk

 

the Seahawk was literally the last seaplane to operate from ships. It was in-service towards the end of the war and then after.

 

Alabama herself is in a very last wartime configuration. She didn't receive that enclosed bridge area until Feb 45. That was about the time the Seahawk was in service.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,303
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
2 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

 

 

the Seahawk was literally the last seaplane to operate from ships. It was in-service towards the end of the war and then after.

 

Alabama herself is in a very last wartime configuration. She didn't receive that enclosed bridge area until Feb 45. That was about the time the Seahawk was in service.

Well the USN did try a couple of Sea Jets - Convair F2Y Sea Dart and Martin P6M SeaMaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
253
[REVY]
Members
941 posts
7,317 battles
Just now, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well the USN did try a couple of Sea Jets - Convair F2Y Sea Dart and Martin P6M SeaMaster

I did say last to operate from ships, meaning launched via catapult from the ship.

 

The Sea Dart was never put into production and is kind of an oddball really. Supersonic aircraft were coming into being, but the Navy had doubts about their ability to operate off carriers due to 'long take-off rolls'. Thus this to make use of the ocean as a runway.

 

The Seamaster was a flying boat, never meant to operate from a ship, though they could land and be serviced by them. She was also kind of an odd ball as she was designed to be a nuclear bomber at a time when Flying Boats were on the way out. This put her in competition with the Air Force B-52. Eventually she was canceled as the Navy found a better way to deliver nuclear weapons, the SSBN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,303
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I did say last to operate from ships, meaning launched via catapult from the ship.

 

The Sea Dart was never put into production and is kind of an oddball really. Supersonic aircraft were coming into being, but the Navy had doubts about their ability to operate off carriers due to 'long take-off rolls'. Thus this to make use of the ocean as a runway.

 

The Seamaster was a flying boat, never meant to operate from a ship, though they could land and be serviced by them. She was also kind of an odd ball as she was designed to be a nuclear bomber at a time when Flying Boats were on the way out. This put her in competition with the Air Force B-52. Eventually she was canceled as the Navy found a better way to deliver nuclear weapons, the SSBN.

Yup and the Sea Dart cost a pilot his life. Sometimes I really wonder about my Navy. Just like Camo on shipboard sailors, guess I am just getting old:cap_haloween:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
406
[R-F]
Members
677 posts
6,188 battles

Did the Midway in-game have jets at some point?  I see references to it in places, but if it ever did, it was before my time.

I mean, they're preparing to introduce Soviet battlecruisers that STARTED construction in the 50s... so we're clearly starting to push the time frame a bit here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[7RET]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
114 posts
6,277 battles
Just now, Brhinosaurus said:

Did the Midway in-game have jets at some point?  I see references to it in places, but if it ever did, it was before my time.

I mean, they're preparing to introduce Soviet battlecruisers that STARTED construction in the 50s... so we're clearly starting to push the time frame a bit here.  

It did. They were removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
406
[R-F]
Members
677 posts
6,188 battles
3 minutes ago, I3lackout said:

It did. They were removed.

What kind? Fighters?  Or bombers?  They were really digging through the scrap bin when they turned the Kaiser XBTK into an operational aircraft.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[7RET]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
114 posts
6,277 battles
3 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

What kind? Fighters?  Or bombers?  They were really digging through the scrap bin when they turned the Kaiser XBTK into an operational aircraft.  

It had F2H Banshee's as the fighters, A2D Skysharks as the torp bombers and I think one of the experimental BTD Destroyers as a bomber? If I'm wrong someone correct me. I know the Banshee's were the fighters though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
253
[REVY]
Members
941 posts
7,317 battles
5 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

What kind? Fighters?  Or bombers?  They were really digging through the scrap bin when they turned the Kaiser XBTK into an operational aircraft.  

I believe she had F2H Banshees, FH Phantoms, and Skyraiders. When I saw it, I kinda compared it to pre/early Korean War.

 

Not 100% sure, but I believe they were actual built/in-service aircraft she would have had. Not experimental stuff.

Edited by Lord_Slayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[7RET]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
114 posts
6,277 battles
4 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I believe she had F2H Banshees, FH Phantoms, and Skyraiders. When I saw it, I kinda compared it to pre/early Korean War.

I think this was another one of the loadouts prior to them removing them. I think the Phantoms went away before the Banshees. Then again, I always get my time frames and loadouts mixed up when it comes to CBT and Release

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
253
[REVY]
Members
941 posts
7,317 battles
1 minute ago, I3lackout said:

I think this was another one of the loadouts prior to them removing them. I think the Phantoms went away before the Banshees. Then again, I always get my time frames and loadouts mixed up when it comes to CBT and Release

most of my CBT knowledge comes from watching youtubers at the time. CV play, while present, was only really covered by a few. But those planes could zoom  across the map in seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[7RET]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
114 posts
6,277 battles
Just now, Lord_Slayer said:

most of my CBT knowledge comes from watching youtubers at the time. CV play, while present, was only really covered by a few. But those planes could zoom  across the map in seconds.

Yeeeahhh they could. I remember being on the receiving end on a number of occasions. It was certainly an adrenaline rush. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×