Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Carrier disparity - can anything be done about it?

8 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

Carriers, more than any other ship (imho), have the biggest impact upon the quality of the game. This is all opinion based on my personal time playing the game. 

Tier Five and below are fine - there are enough carrier drivers it's very rare to get two not so good on the same side. Question #1 is though - should there be more than one carrier per team in a match? 

Question #2 though deals with the high tier carriers, tier six and up. The skill disparity is far more apparent at those tiers. What can be done with those higher tiers that will balance the type within the game? 

Question #3 will eventually come up as a statement - but should there be some type of qualifications prior to being able to play those carriers? Some magical number combos based on the player's stats? <shiver> I don't like the idea... because to get better we have to play... but what else can we do? 

Maybe a moratorium on carriers at and above a certain tier? 

Or is all this bat guana crazy? 

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

#1 yes, I believe any tier should be balanced around having multiple of any ship type.

#2 there's nothing you can do about player skill disparity, and I don't think WG should try to minimize the impact of player skill. Instead, they need to find a way to increase the impact of surface ship player skill in countering a CV, not just surviving it. Then a bad CV player can lean on their team to help overcome a good CV player.

#3 no, there should be no restrictions on who can play carriers. Everyone will start off bad, and can stay that way for a while.

Edited by cometguy

[DAY]
Members
1,154 posts
11,492 battles

the easiest thing to do is to have multiple carriers in a match, with carrier nerfed to be comparable to surface ships 

this way having one real bad carriers is just like having one real bad bb/ca/cl/dd, you can always count on other teammates of the same type to make it up for them

[NG-NL]
Members
4,949 posts
8,094 battles

Currently T9-10 CVs, if multiple allowed, will be pretty devastating at their tiers simply because too many planes means even Grozo and Minotaur will be hard-pressed to fight them off.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,765 posts
5,805 battles

Easiest solution, for 3 groups of identically aircraft load CV, T 4-5, T6-8, T9-10. Those CV's face only those tiers. TB flights have 3 planes, DB flights have 4 planes, get rid of fighters other than 'bot' CAP fighters who also double as spotting aircraft to watch for pesky DD's.

Members
139 posts
1,845 battles

I still say giving focused AA (ctrl click) the ability to debuff the spread and speed of the squadron its focusing (like fighters do now) would fix alot when it comes to cvs interaction with surface ships. Besides that the balance issues are really up to which ships have how much aa and the teir difference between the cv and ship. My AA built north carolina cant really do much besides dodge t10 planes. Not very engaging for the surface ship but shooting down all the planes isnt engaging for the cv so a debuff could work on select squadrons under focus fire.

Edited by Pyromaniac_Rasputin

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,765 posts
5,805 battles
Just now, Pyromaniac_Rasputin said:

I still say giving focused AA (ctrl click) the ability to debuff the spread and speed of the squadron its focusing would fix alot when it comes to cvs interaction with surface ships. Besides that the balance issues are really up to which ships have how much aa and the teir difference between the cv and ship. My AA built north carolina cant really do much besides dodge t10 planes.

And this is the problem, your T8 BB is a prime target for a Midway or a Hak, and its possible using DoT to kill you in one pass from full HP or remove you from the match by leaving you with a sliver of your HP. This is the single biggest problem with CV's.... the ability of a top tier CV to suck the fun out of a bottom tier players match in 2 minutes.

US BB's (and ONLY them) with their abundance of AA should have the 'Panic' button that cruisers have, perhaps for a shorter duration or longer cooldown.

Members
139 posts
1,845 battles
9 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

And this is the problem, your T8 BB is a prime target for a Midway or a Hak, and its possible using DoT to kill you in one pass from full HP or remove you from the match by leaving you with a sliver of your HP. This is the single biggest problem with CV's.... the ability of a top tier CV to suck the fun out of a bottom tier players match in 2 minutes.

US BB's (and ONLY them) with their abundance of AA should have the 'Panic' button that cruisers have, perhaps for a shorter duration or longer cooldown.

I dont think defensive AA consumable would work for T8s because they already shred T8 planes and below. The main issue in my opinion is two fold, lower teir ships dont have AA strong enough to shoot down planes (hp and aa difference is to great) and surface ships have no way to interfer with a drop besides maneuvering. Focus fire (ctrl click) debuff would fix one of these issues and mitigate the other. In addition sending single squadrons to farm dots wouldnt work as well since they would be less accurate while being focused.

Sign in to follow this