You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralHattori

Hiryu's Hinomaru

9 comments in this topic

[KNTI2]
[KNTI2]
Members
166 posts
8,132 battles

Out of curiosity but what was the reason for the removal of the red sun on Hiryu? I know it has been a long time since its removal but I can't find a solid answer and I thought the Hinomaru was quite unique for this ship. At first I thought it was because of political reasons even though the Japanese flag has the same meaning but we do have Kaga now with the Hinomaru that is part of the ship, not a premium camouflage. I only remembered one post from a moderator saying that dev had some inaccuracy with the looks but if you take it from the perspective of Midway, Hiryu did have it and I don't see the reason to remove if everyone can identify Hiryu's reputation by that Hinomaru just like how many would identify Nelson with its unorthodox looks. It not something to go crazy about but I wish for an answer to fill that empty hole on her flight deck.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles

WG has a very large audience in the pan asian countries, bringing in a lot of revenue. The rising sun is a very hated symbol there.

• Bad 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralHattori said:

I don't see the reason to remove if everyone can identify Hiryu's reputation by that Hinomaru just like how many would identify Nelson with its unorthodox looks. 

So the fact she is the only Ship in-game with her Island on the Port side isn't unique enough? Also like @Lert said. The Rising Sun is a very hated symbol in Asia, seeing it plastered on the deck of one of the Kido Butai carriers would cause a lot of anger from that server.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
36 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

So the fact she is the only Ship in-game with her Island on the Port side isn't unique enough? Also like @Lert said. The Rising Sun is a very hated symbol in Asia, seeing it plastered on the deck of one of the Kido Butai carriers would cause a lot of anger from that server.

Kaga has it though.  Honestly, I imagine it's likely due to the way camo was originally implemented.  Camo came in at the same time the Hinomaru left, if memory serves.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
2 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Kaga has it though.  Honestly, I imagine it's likely due to the way camo was originally implemented.  Camo came in at the same time the Hinomaru left, if memory serves.

Kaga's is not the Rising Sun though. It is the normal sun. Very subtle difference but it terms of the law a very large distinction. It is like how China hates the JMSDF, because it uses the Rising Sun but has no problem with the National Flag. It is confusing I will admit but the fact does remain. Wargaming will not put it on, and Hiryu is already unique in-game (ar least until Akagi returns from the pits of Alpha hell).

• Cool 1

[KNTI2]
[KNTI2]
Members
166 posts
8,132 battles
2 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

3 hours ago, Lert said:

WG has a very large audience in the pan asian countries, bringing in a lot of revenue. The rising sun is a very hated symbol there.

But doesn't the Kaga have the Hinomaru? If the case that the Hinomaru would be prohibited from the beginning, they wouldn't release the Kaga with that Hinomaru 2 years after. And no, I'm not referring to the Hinomaru flag with stripes coming out which is the symbol of hate in Asia. 

Edited by AdmiralHattori

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralHattori said:

But doesn't the Kaga have the Hinomaru? If the case that the Hinomaru would be prohibited from the beginning, they wouldn't release the Kaga with that Hinomaru 2 years after. And no, I'm not referring to the Hinomaru flag with stripes coming out which is the symbol of hat in Asia.

No Kaga does not have the one that is actually insulting. The Rising Sun is taboo the normal sun is not again, it is a complicated issue. The normal sun is fine and Pacific nations and especially China have no issue with it, it's the Rising Sun that they hate, that is why they greatly dislike the JMSDF since they still use the flag. Also you need to remember;

Hiryu-Bomb-Hits.png

The Hinomaru was destroyed when Hiryu was bombe (the pilots actually said that they aimed for it). Wargaming may have wanted to avoid causing flashbacks to Japanese players, but I'm just guessing here. Why Wargaming has no Hinomaru I don't know but they have their reasons, if they make sense? that is a diffrent story entirely.

Plus you also need to remember Hiryu's Hinomaru is not complete;

hiryu_underattack2-e1275672619884.jpg

There are two runway lines running trough it.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

First off Hinomaru implies the red sun on white background, or more specificity the circular red sun. The word broken apart literally means circle of the sun. (At least according to Wikipedia.) Instead of citing racism or symbols of hate, I think the more accurate reason would be that when the camo system came into the game it got erased to make fitting the camos simpler. As no one complained about it's removal it never was added back on, when Wargamming was putting Kaga in someone said "Won't people complain if there isn't the red circle on the flight deck?" To which someone said "Yes" and put the Hinomaru on Kaga's flight deck. Or simply:

11 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

As for the Japanese naval ensign, also known as the rising sun flag or Kyokujitsu-ki (again according to Wikipedia), that's a far more complicated and touchy subject which shouldn't need more explanation than the Wikipedia link.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

There were actually a lot of complaints when it went away.  A lot of IJN fans were very displeased if memory serves.